Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HBO randomly stopped working on Xfinity - Says I need a Subscription

New Poster

HBO randomly stopped working on Xfinity - Says I need a Subscription

Last Sunday we bought a year's subscription to HBO, you know the whole $10 a month for 6 months deal. Anyways, I've been watching it religiously on my television at home, iPhone and laptop. I watched like 4 episodes of Deadwood last night, and it was doing just fine. I log into BOTH of my user accounts (usually use secondary) and every episode has a little orange button with a key next to it that basically is telling me I need to subscribe / purchase HBO to watch. I'm not home this week so I can't see if it's working at home on the cable box. Anyways, I don't see how that would have to do with Xfinity online. It says I'm not sub'd to any premium channels on my account either. However, after about a 45 minute chat with 4 Comcast employees, apparently I am listed as an HBO subscriber.

They did nothing for me after 45 minutes, the final chick just left me with a phone number for the "premium channel" guys. I don't even have service where I'm at on vacation, only wifi.

I've cleared my cache, cleared my cookies, logged out, logged in, updated silverlight, all of that jazz. It hasn't done anything for me. Here's the screen I get on any HBO show.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/v7wkuu.jpg

I am running x64 bit OS Windows 7, I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. I've used Google Chrome in the past and it's worked like a charm, no luck with Firefox either.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HBO randomly stopped working on Xfinity - Says I need a Subscription

make sure you not running64bit web browser that might give you issues.  Also it only works in the us so if you are out of the us it will not work.    You also usually need to sign in as the primary user.

New Poster

I'm using the same web browser that I've been using to watch HBO for the past few days. Also, I'm only a state above where I live. We're in Georgia and I'm in Florida. I've watched 4 episodes of Deadwood and about 3-4 episodes of Game of Thrones since I've gotten here. Until last night I've had no problem. Comcast tells me it's my fault and that I need to cycle the cable box, but I don't see how that would help since this has nothing to do with my TV at home.

New Poster

I've recently run into pretty much the same issue.  I used to watch HBO and Showtime (Dexter in particular) with no issues.  Recently I have been unable to watch any shows on those premium channels.  I can watch shows online for any regular channel in my lineup, just not the premium ones.  Got on a chat  and all I ended up with after quite some time was a phone number to call.

Very annoying since just a couple weeks ago there was no problem and now it authorizes by subscription, bring me to the This video is rated TV-MA"  screen and thats it.  It never plays the video.

What's up with this?!!!

New Poster

Ditto, I'm having the same issues and I've been watching TV on my laptop for a long time.  Today, I cannot access my shows because it wants Microsoft Silverlight, which I already have the most updated version.  And I can't get comcast to figure out what is wrong.  They actually gave me a phone number to another comcast division to try and help, but for now, after working on this ALL DAY, I'm going to take a break and see what happens tomorrow.

New Poster

I have been having the same issues of being a subscriber yet not being able to watch HBO or Showtime on my computer.  When I called customer service a couple of weeks ago, the tech told me I must have been watching these shows with the primary account holder's user id (my hubby). Not true.  I have never used his user id yet I have always been able to watch premium TV on my computer.  So customer service did fix me up...for a day.  Then it broke again. Since then I have simply used my husband's user id to log on to watch shows.  Then a few days ago his broke too.   BUT his will work again every time after I reboot. Obviously this tells me that some setting is being changed by....something.  Anyway, I just wanted to report that I upgraded my Norton antivirus to the 2012 version (Norton Internet Security 2012), and now I can log on with both my user ID and my husband's and they both are recognized as subscribers to the premium TV.   No idea what this had to do with it.  All I can say is that now I am having no problems.  I didn't do any of the stuff that other people are talking about with profiles, cache, 3 devices, etc.  Thank you and good luck. 

Official Employee

Hi all,

The orange key issues should now be resolved. Let me know if you can watch videos again.

If you are not seeing the orange key issue and videos are not starting for you, please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

And here we go again.  I was able to watch premium TV on my computer for the last few days, under my user id and my husband's user id, and now this morning, neither user Id will work.  I am getting the message again that I need a subscription. 

New Poster

Same thing happening to me. I've tried multiple browsers to no avail.

Regular Visitor

Having this very same problem just now. Watched 2 episodes of Rome, but when I went to watch the next episode a minute later, the orange key lock appeared on all episodes and says I'm not a subscriber. I can no longer access any episode, even the one I'd just finished watching.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem - all premium channels stopped working literally 15 minutes ago for no reason.  On account setting/my account it says that I have access but when I go to any show from HBO or Showtime (haven't tried the rest yet) - I get the orange keys and can't access.

Please fix it!

Official Employee

aquaflora wrote:

I'm having the same problem - all premium channels stopped working literally 15 minutes ago for no reason.  On account setting/my account it says that I have access but when I go to any show from HBO or Showtime (haven't tried the rest yet) - I get the orange keys and can't access.

Please fix it!

We are working on this issue now. We hope to have it fixed shortly.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

More than two years later, I am having the same problem. Still. And when I call Comcast, their automated answering service hangs up on me. This is absolutely absurd. 

Frequent Visitor

I don't have premium channels like HBO but it's happening on channels like TNT and BBCA. Basically anything beyond the basic 10 from what I can tell.

It's also crosssite so you can't go to say, TNT.com or A&E.com and watch them there because they rely on information from Comcast to verify your provider.

It's a big mess. 

---never mind. Forget I said anything. I just noticed that your post was a couple months old. 

New Poster

can you help me my xfinity online is not working (though it did the other day) and says I am not a subscriber to even basic channels like TNT (even though I am and can watch them on the actual TV) I coppied the info from your link in your message and this is what i get below: 

if you cant help can you direct me to who could thanks

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown Use Dac: false My Conroller ID: Unknown My Map ID: Unknown My Persona ID: 1 My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Watchlist setup: false Facebook Watchlist Syncing: false Facebook Connect: false My public IP address: 98.200.222.225 My operating system: Mac - rv:24.0 My web browser: Firefox 24 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Silverlight version: 5.1.20513.0 My Flash version: 11.8.800 Javascript: enabled Cookies: Enabled (2335 Bytes). Time Information My Clock Time: Wed Oct 02 2013 03:31:22 GMT+0100 (BST) Server Clock Time: Wed Oct 02 2013 03:31:30 GMT+0100 (BST)
My Account Information In Home Authenticated: false Primary Account: true Provider Codes: Internet Subscriber: false Cable TV Subscriber: false Voice Subscriber: false
New Poster

never mind i just followed a URL to one of the shows had previously only watched half and it has some how remembered me