Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HBO Shows not starting or beginning with black screen

Regular Visitor

HBO Shows not starting or beginning with black screen

Boardwalk Empire season 1 episode 12 is not playing properly, listed as only 7 seconds long.

I have reset all of my devices and deleted my playlist history with no fix.

Regular Visitor

Re: Boardwalk Empire S1E12

A day later, same problem. This is becoming very disconcerning as this problem seems to be happening a lot on Xfinity online.

Official Employee

seangallagher04,

I cannot reproduce this error on Season 1, Episode 12 titled A Return to Normalcy. I have seen this issue on a few other HBO shows but not on this particular one.

Are you still seeing this issue on this episode?

Have you seen this issue on any other videos?

Thanks,

Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

I am having this issue with Boardwalk Empire as well but it appears to be all episodes and occuring intermittently. Over the last few days it will more often than not work but last night at one point it did work. Today it is again not working.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for your response, Joe.

The problem is still happening to the episode of Boardwalk Empire as we discussed. Now,the  issue is happening with other HBO series as well. In fact, I am struggling find an HBO series that works properly.

The problem is consistent on my laptop as well as my desktop.

Official Employee

seangallagher04 wrote:

Thank you for your response, Joe.

The problem is still happening to the episode of Boardwalk Empire as we discussed. Now,the  issue is happening with other HBO series as well. In fact, I am struggling find an HBO series that works properly.

The problem is consistent on my laptop as well as my desktop.

I have been trying random HBO shows, popular and non-popular, and can not replicate. Can you send me a few specific non-Boardwalk Empire HBO episodes that are having this issue. I would like to further investigate.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Today, The Wire S1E05 and 06 were not working. Waited an hour and they started working again. Now Boardwalk Empire is working again too.

The issue is totally intermittent with no rhyme or reason. I can't make any sense of it anymore. I guess I will continually post here when I find a show that doesn't work and start a chain of messages of what doesn't work and when.

Official Employee

seangallagher04 wrote:

Today, The Wire S1E05 and 06 were not working. Waited an hour and they started working again. Now Boardwalk Empire is working again too.

The issue is totally intermittent with no rhyme or reason. I can't make any sense of it anymore. I guess I will continually post here when I find a show that doesn't work and start a chain of messages of what doesn't work and when.

Another customer mentioned Newsroom S1/Ep1 and I can not replicate that either.

I will further look into those episodes of The Wire and do a deep dig on why this issue may be occurring.

Thanks,

Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I am having the same problem with The Wire.  Since the series ended in 2008, I can't imagine there are as many people watching it as there are wating Boardwalk Empire.  My problem is exactly as you described, intermittent and without rhyme or reason.  Also, annoying.

New Poster

Game of Thrones won't play

I've watched Game of Thrones episodes on the xfinitytv site up until Seson 3 episode 9, which only plays up the message about mature audiences, then stops.  The progress bar at the bottom says :07 and it's all the way to the right, as if it's played the entire episode. 

Official Employee

Re: Game of Thrones won't play

salutes23 wrote:

I've watched Game of Thrones episodes on the xfinitytv site up until Seson 3 episode 9, which only plays up the message about mature audiences, then stops.  The progress bar at the bottom says :07 and it's all the way to the right, as if it's played the entire episode. 

This one I could replicate every time I started the video. The "It's HBO" ad played, the screen went black for about 30 seconds, and then the episode played without issues. Our team is working on fixing it now.

Thanks,

Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I have the same issue with all the Newsroom episodes I've tried so far as well as several other HBO shows. It started out around three days ago; I've been watching the HBO shows with no previous problems for more than a year now. The thing is, if I reload it around 10 times, I might catch it working, but it's very random.

Official Employee

First off, I updated the title of the thread since this is occurring to multiple assets.

Jenni123, I tested a few random episodes of Newroom and could not replicate. I will keep digging into it though.

-Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Re: HBO Shows not starting or beginning with black screen

This has been happening to me as well.

Currently it won't let me play episode 2 and 5 of season 3 of Boardwalk Empire. It has happened on previous seasons though. I ended up just skipping entire episodes... which sucks.

It just plays HBO intro, then goes to a black screen with :07 seconds on the video. It doesn't help to refresh. It doesn't matter what browser -- have tried IE, FF and Chrome. I cleared the cache. I restarted the browser. I restarted the computer. I checked that flash player was up to date. I even punched my computer monitor. This is so frustrating. After three tries it tells me that I need to "manage my devices" because I have too many authorized browsers. I go and delete the browsers and start the process all over to no avail. I can skip to the next episode and it plays fine.. but that sucks.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Chris

New Poster

Thanks. Whatever you did fixed it. Seems like the entire viewing history got blasted. Not something I did. 

New Poster

I have seen this issue several times with Boardwalk Empire as well as with Veep.  The HBO intro plays through and then the video never makes it to the HBO static splash screen that starts the beginning of all HBO episodes.  Instead, i just get a black screen and the video never plays.  In the control bar, the length of the video is 7 seconds (which I believe is just the length of the HBO intro video).  

i have not seen issues with other network's videos.  This only seems to be occurring with HBO episodes.  

i am currently seeing the issue with Boardwalk Empire Season 4 Episode 2.

New Poster

Joe, can you check out this same issue with true blood season 2 episode 5 and 7?  same issue, the hbo ad plays and then the screen goes black and the episode says it is only 7 seconds long.  it has been like this for weeks.  i have checked back several times and it still will not play,

New Poster

Veep season 2 episode 2.......same issue.

Regular Visitor

Just to give an update on the original topic and perhaps offer some assistance to anyone having this problem.

This concern still happens on a daily basis and sometimes is worse then others. For Me, it only happens with HBO series and virtually all shows. There is hope though, you can still watch your favorite series if your patient!

Sometimes, if you wait long enough, the show will start all on its own. It may take 30 seconds, it may take 5 minutes but I can confirm that it can, potentially start. Sometimes, refreshing the page will get the show to start however, If you do this 3 times you will be forced to reset your devices, which is stupid, IMO, and frustrating when you can't get what your paying for to begin with.

I really hope that Comcast is looking in to this because it's obvious that it's a server problem at this point and that their system of hosting videos is corrupt. There is no excuse for this many people to be having this many problems. Imagine the people who simply think that the problem is with them and do not understand what is actually happening....

New Poster

It is happening to me as well. Trying to watch Generation Kill. It has happened off and on for the last 3 days. Persistance but no rhyme or reason eventually has gotten them all to play. It is very annoying. Same symptoms as everyone else. Black screen at 7 seconds.

Regular Contributor

This problem has been occuring randomly for the last week or so for me. The content buffers for 2-3 minutes, the gear shaped playback quality button does not appear and I am unable to skip forward or back in the program. In addition, if you try to keep refreshing the page you get a massage saying you have reached the max. number of machines for your account.

Seems to be completely random. A show might not play in the mornign and then be fine a few hours later. What a joke.