Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HBO Go via Apple TV

New Poster

HBO Go via Apple TV

I've noticed that Comcast blocks access to HBO Go via Roku, XBox live (w/o gold subscription) and smart tv apps.  Will Comcast allow access via the new Apple TV app?

I'd love to get this functionality as the Comcast on-demand library for HBO is pretty small compared to the Go library...and all the other cable providers in my area offer it.

If a Comcast rep/moderator could respond that would be great.

New Poster

Re: HBO Go via Apple TV

Just tested xfinity HBO login with latest Apple TV update and it works.  Really annoying that it still doesn't work for Roku.  Apple is going to sell a lot of ATVs today.  See hbogo.com/activate, go to Apple TV and then  you can see xfinity is listed as one of the options (not the same for Roku).  Enjoy.

New Poster

That's insanely good news.  I've been waiting for an excuse to switch out my 3 yr old roku for an Apple TV, guess I have an excuse now.

New Poster

Agreed; I'm pretty giddy.  I made a switch to Comcast a few months back and have been cursing my loss of HBOGO on Roku since.  This past week, I borrowed an ATV to test iPad/ATV Airplay with HBOGO.  This did work, but was a terrible, unecessary kludge.  Then got this excellent news today; we'll probably see a lot of Rokus popping up on Craiglist from Comcast customers...

New Poster

I followed the activation instructions using Safari on my iPad, but HBO Go on the AppleTV still is telling me to activate, with a different code each time. What gives?!
New Poster

Well, either the activation requires some time to take, or the AppleTV needed a reboot. I rebooted the AppleTV and the next activation attempt confirmed success on the AppleTV itself, which it wasn't doing before the reboot..
New Poster

Woot! Ok, so for anyone as silly as me, I was looking for "Comcast" but it's listed under Xfinity. 

Regular Visitor

I tried to use it last night, but it kept asking me to activate with different codes. so you're saying that if you reboot the ATV, then it will then work (at least for you)?

New Poster

HBOGO now available via AppleTV

Just an update for those of you, like me, who have been trying for the past year to get HBOGO to work on their TVs.  We successfully got HBOGO to work via AppleTV. No problems, easy to use.

New Poster

I did have to allow AppleTV to update before getting the activation code. Then I used the code on my desktop computer. That's when the TV was able to load the app.

New Poster

It seems you have to use a 'real' computer to activate the code. The iPad or any othe mobile device won't do the trick.

Contributor

Re: Hbo go app

I was just able to activate HBO GO on my old Apple TV!  Things are looking up.

Frequent Visitor

I did a restart on Apple and did the activation from iPad Safari for a second time and it went right thru. Hope this works for you too!
Regular Visitor

Re:

similar problem

Frequent Visitor

Not so fast. I have both the Roku and AppleTV. Roku is the superior streamer at least when it comes to Netflix. I use the AppleTV many for AirPlay support o iOS and Mac. The UI on AppleTV for Netflix is terrible, the keyboard sucks, and that remote is a pretty, but horrible device.
New Poster

I am beyond frustrated with Comcast.  Recently subscribed to HBO SOLELY to activate it on my AppleTV.  When I go to the HBOGo website and choose XFinity as the provider and then enter my loging credentials for my Xfinity account, I am redirected away from HBO's website back to Xfinity website with the following message: "Good News! You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription."

This is NOT good news.  This is Comcast forcing me to watch content that I am paying for through a user interface that is subpar.  I came from RCN, and I did not have these problems.  I called Comcast, and if I did not get some useless representative in the Phillipines, I got a useless representative in the US who had no idea how to resolve this issue.  I quite literally spoke to no less then 10 different people.  I was transferred to numbers that were disconnected and I was transferred to a speciality tech group who was unable to help me and said I had called the wrong number.  Listen up Comcast, I don't care to watch the content I am paying for through Xfinity's website or iPad app or anything else.  I want to watch it through HBOGo and Directly through the HBOGo app on my AppleTV.  If this is not fixed, I will find an alternative provider in both homes that I own...preferably a provider that employs Americans for an American service. Missing RCN.

New Poster

I am having the same problem as you.  

New Poster

I purchased Apple TV and Comcast Xfinity HBO and have same problem as the other users.  Nothing but frustration getting HBO GO to activate on Apple TV.  hbogo.com/activate asks for which device and service provider, I pick Apple TV and Xfinity, then it redirects to Comcast/Xfinity login.  I enter user/password then it shows "Good News!  You already have HBO demand as part of your service. Go forth and watch...".  It should prompt me for the "code" displaying on Apple TV.

I got this to work for about 1 day and that was it.  It's no longer working now.  Comcast support does not know what to do.  They gave me another 877 number to call and no one ever picks up.  

Please fix ASAP!

New Poster

I have the exact same problem, please help.  It has been so frusterating trying to work with comcast support.  They have no idea. I get bounced form the cable tv side to the internet side. 

Frequent Visitor

Your account is more than likely set up incorrectly.  Good luck getting to a customer care representative that can fix it. I had the same problem.  I was lucky.  I called in enough times that I got a rep that identified the problem and fixed it almost immediately. 

New Poster

any update on this? same problem getting redirected and hoping someone has found the solution.

New Poster

Same issue as Barry. Everyone at Comcast I've spoken with is essentially incompetent.
If they don't fix this issue soon I'm switching providers and never looking back.
New Poster

same issue as above situations. anyone have solution yet?

Regular Visitor

Same issue as everyone here.

New Poster

Fc64hq
New Poster

I was able to make this work after getting the message that my provider didn't allow access on the Apple TV:

1. Update Apple TV

2. Go to hbogo.com

3. Login

4. Go to the bottom of the page and click on devices.

5.  Follow the instructions to enter the access code.

New Poster

Thank you!  I simply followed the prompts on HBO GO site and I was up and running in 30 seconds.

New Poster

This solution actually worked.

New Poster

I am beyond frustrated with Comcast.  Recently subscribed to HBO SOLELY to activate it on my AppleTV.  When I go to the HBOGo website and choose XFinity as the provider and then enter my loging credentials for my Xfinity account, I am redirected away from HBO's website back to Xfinity website with the following message: "Good News! You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription."
It looks like this issue is back. Anyone having problems with HBOGO and Apple TV today?
New Poster

Yes, I'm having the exact same problem.  Redirected to comcast page and the only thing I get is

"Good news!

You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription."

Driving me crazy.  Let me know if you found a way to fix it.  Thanks!

New Poster

TL;DR: try activating it with Chrome on a non-Apple device.

I've been having the same problem ever since I upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPad and iPhone. It just happened again and, once again, I attempted to activate it online using my iPad (Safari) and, once again, I got nothing. I noticed I could still get HBO Go and Showtime Anytime on my iPad and iPhone, just not on my Apple TV. So, this time, I had my husband try to activate it using Chrome on his Nexus 7, and it totally worked.
New Poster

Hey guys.  I just noticed today that Disney XD and a few other of the Apple TV apps no longer work and say "unauthorized"  This is because Comcast has blocked all those apps and now you can only stream those channels with the official Xfinity Go App.   There is no Apple TV version of this.    So if you had your channels authorized through Comcast before it will now no longer work.  HBO GO still works for me... but I suspect Comcast will probably block that any day now.   So say goodbye to HBO on your Apple TV.  

New Poster

Cannot activate HBO GO on Apple TV

ive seen some other posters on here about their difficulty activating their HBO GO on their Apple TV's...
Anyone come up with a solution?
I get this answer on my phone on my computer and my service never activates after restarting it. And HBO just gives me another activation code.
"Sorry there was an error loading this page. Your account has not been charged"
New Poster

I too am having this absolutely annoying problem.  And, Comcast rep's do not seem to "know how to fix" this issue either.  Really frustrating.

barrybingham wrote:

This is NOT good news.  This is Comcast forcing me to watch content that I am paying for through a user interface that is subpar.  I came from RCN, and I did not have these problems.  I called Comcast, and if I did not get some useless representative in the Phillipines, I got a useless representative in the US who had no idea how to resolve this issue.  I quite literally spoke to no less then 10 different people.  I was transferred to numbers that were disconnected and I was transferred to a speciality tech group who was unable to help me and said I had called the wrong number.  Listen up Comcast, I don't care to watch the content I am paying for through Xfinity's website or iPad app or anything else.  I want to watch it through HBOGo and Directly through the HBOGo app on my AppleTV.  If this is not fixed, I will find an alternative provider in both homes that I own...preferably a provider that employs Americans for an American service. Missing RCN.

New Poster

I'm trying activate by visiting hbogo.com/activate. When I select Xfinity provider  then I get following error:

Screenshot 2015-09-28 17.14.12.png

Frequent Visitor

Re: Cannot activate HBO GO on Apple TV

Frequent Visitor

New Poster

This does not work anymore. Comcast is a joke. I am rarely angry at faceless corporations because I don't consider it worth my tme, but in this case, I am livid. I am paying for a service. I should be able to use it.