Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HBO GO releasing today on PS3. Comcast support?

New Poster

HBO GO releasing today on PS3. Comcast support?

Today Playstation 3 will receive the HBO GO app.  Has there be any official word on Comcast allowing this to work or will be locked out like the Samsung Smart TV were for an undetermined amount of time?

Regular Contributor

Re: HBO GO releasing today on PS3. Comcast support?

Don't count on it. They aren't supporting roku, why would they for Sony ?
New Poster

Norm-F wrote:
Don't count on it. They aren't supporting roku, why would they for Sony ?

1.  They supported Xbox 360's HBO App.

2.  There are roughly 28 Million ps3's in American households.  As of a few months ago there were only about 5 Million Roku.  

3.  Comcast just started supporting Samsung TVs with HBO GO so it seems they are loosening their restrictions a bit.  Roku is such a small player it's doubtful it ever gets the support.

New Poster

I'm really curious about this too. I just got the app setup and needed to activate the PS3, but Comcast isn't one of the cable providers listed that support HBO GO on PS3 when you try to activate it, although some of the articles I've read have it listed.

Hope it gets sorted out soon.

New Poster

Yeah. I understand.

Still, I guess there's hope because there is HBO GO support for Xbox 360. 

Contributor

Now

Frequent Visitor

I tried to chat with an agent about this and got very little. They said no, it's not supported, but that they'd "make a note to the service engineers."

I'm guessing the only way to make this actually happen is to just keep making noise about it.

Regular Visitor

They confirmed on Twitter that it's not available for PS3 Comcast customers. Their advice was to watch their tiny OnDemand library or to buy a Xbox or iPad. Was very helpful.....Not.
New Poster

I'm very dissapointed with this decision, considering I only have internet and HBO2Go this is a big deal for me....I really have no other way to watch it besides going to the HBO2Go web site. 

Regular Contributor

Comcast is such a joke.  Thanks for nothing!

New Poster

Looking through the list of cable providers I see that Time Warner Cable is listed, and of course we all know that Time Warner was recently acquired by Comcast. Maybe we will eventually get in through this back door. I have been waiting for months to get this app and now can't even use it. Come on Comcast I pay my bill regularly and on time. How can you say no to 28 million Playstations?

Frequent Visitor

The Comcast/TWC merger isn't a done deal yet - it's awaiting approval by regulatory bodies

New Poster

Please make this app available for ps3 owners. We overpay enough already and then you won't allow us to use hbo go? Fix this soon.
New Poster

So all of Comcast's major competitors (DirecTV, ATT, Charter, etc) all support the HBOGO app on PS3, but Comcast doesn't?  Why?  That's the dumbest thing.  I've been waiting for this app to be available, and now that it is I can't even use it unless I switch providers.  I just might do that.  I've been looking for an excuse to switch to DirecTV anyway.

Regular Visitor

Is it just me, or does this raise additional questions on Comcast's inability to avoid net-neutrality conflict? They are the only cable provider in my area so I'm stuck. Comcast states that they needed time to prepare for the integration of this service into their infrastructure, but isn't this purely a direct HBO-to-customer solution with Comcast being used for nothing more than authentication? My guess is that Comcast is intervening to prevent overuse of their bandwidth for these services. I think it's all just an excuse, and one that I've heard before. I had to wait for Comcast for HBO Go on my Xbox 360 as well. And the secret underlying issue is still being kept hush hush by Comcast since all the other major providers were able to get on board in time. It's not like Comcast didn't know this was coming. I wish that HBO had more power over the providers because I want to cancel my HBO just as much as I want to cancel my Comcast now. And no, it's not just *this* HBO Go situation that's upsetting. It's that I went through the same thing on my 360, the X1 was two months of my life that I will never get back, it's the worst customer service I have ever received, it's hours of blackout at a time, it's the dial-up speed internet I get from 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM every day, etc. But they have a monopoly in my area so it's either this or I disconnect myself from the outside world. I want to pull my hair out!