New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HBO GO on Apple TV

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

HBO GO on Apple TV

I recently added HBO.  I have no trouble viewing the channel from my TV, and HBO GO works fine on both my android device and my iPad.  I can stream content from comcast's website as well as from hbogo.com.  The problem I'm having occurs when I try to use the HBO GO app on my new Apple TV.  I get the following range of messages:
1.) Please Note     This network is not included in your subscription

2.) Activate HBO GO  <-- Note:  If I keep at it long enough, I can get it activated

3.) Parental Controls are unavailable at this time.

4.) Parental Controls prevent you from viewing 

Sometimes it will work for me from the Apple TV (after trying to activate it 30+ times), but there is no rhyme or reason.  This is beyond frustrating.  Comcast customer service said that the problem was on HBO's end.  Well, guess what?  Not according to HBO (see below).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Trouble with Apple TV / Xfinity
To: "*Contact HBOGO (HBO)" <ContactHBOGO@hbo.com>,

Could I get that direct email address (where you forwarded to)?

It's weird.  I can watch it online (either at hbogo.com or at comcast's website), on my iPad, and on my Android device.  The problem is definitely something to do with the Apple TV.  If I keep at it, it eventually allows me to watch it.

Anyway, thanks for following up.  

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM, *Contact HBOGO (HBO) <ContactHBOGO@hbo.com> wrote:

Hi ##########@#####,

Thank you for your email.  We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues.  Unfortunately, the subscription issue you are experiencing can only be resolved by the Comcast Customer Care Team.  HBO does not have access to this information. We have forwarded the information you provided to Comcast on your behalf and have requested that Comcast contact you to troubleshoot the issues further.  

Thank you,

The HBO GO Team

Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 9:39 PM
To: *Contact HBOGO (HBO)
Cc: 
Subject: Trouble with Apple TV / Xfinity

HBO GO username:  [redacted]

comcast username:  [redacted]

Hi,

I'd like to start this email by saying I love HBO.  You have better content than any other network.  I recently added HBO to my Comcast subscription.  I couldn't be happier with it.  

When I found out I had access to HBO GO, I bought an Apple TV for that sole purpose.  As I am sure you can see in your logs, I've had to reactivate it no less than a hundred times.  One minute, I may get prompted to reactivate.  The next, I get a message stating I don't have access to this network.

I am quite sure the problem isn't on your end.  I was just wondering if you had any ideas as to what I need to do to resolve this issue.  I'd really like to get caught up on some HBO shows.  I've attached a few screenshots so you can see what I'm seeing.

Thanks in advance.  Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees. Any copying, forwarding, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons other than the addressees is not authorized. This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by return e-mail (including the original message in your reply) and then delete and discard all copies of the e-mail. 

Thank you. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Accepted Solution

Re: HBO GO on Apple TV

I was fortunate enough to speak with a "Josh" in Comcast customer care.  He immediately identified the problem, he was extremely nice, and he had the problem resolved within 10 minutes.  I called in several times about this, spoke to several employees with no progress, and he fixed it in less time than I was on hold.  Long story short - my account was set up incorrectly.  He fixed it, & my HBO GO app started working within 15 minutes.

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Update:

Now, when I try to activate my Apple TV, I get:

"

Good news! 
You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription. Go forth and watch.

"

Frequent Visitor

I was fortunate enough to speak with a "Josh" in Comcast customer care.  He immediately identified the problem, he was extremely nice, and he had the problem resolved within 10 minutes.  I called in several times about this, spoke to several employees with no progress, and he fixed it in less time than I was on hold.  Long story short - my account was set up incorrectly.  He fixed it, & my HBO GO app started working within 15 minutes.

Regular Visitor

Same problem but it's frustrating talking to all the ignorant customer care employees who don't hesitate to hang up when they run out of answers.

I guess I have to keep calling until I get someone intelligent.  That could take years!

How does one get a hold of "Josh"?

Frequent Visitor

It took me 2 weeks of calling in several times a day after work pretty much every day.  It was a ridiculous hassle.  He is out of the Nashville, TN, call center.  Most of the other people I had spoken to up until that point didn't know what an "Apple TV" was.  They had me provide them the S/N of my cable box and wanted to send a refresh signal.  Just hang up and call back.  It sucks, but to me, HBO GO is worth it.

Frequent Visitor

Here's my advice:

Whenever you get on the phone, make sure you describe the issue in detail, reference any error mesage(s) you get, and describe what you've done up until that point.  Feel free to reference that email (above) from HBO GO technical support.  Once they understand that HBO GO isn't working on your Apple TV and that you are getting all kinds of funky errors, THEN ask them if your account looks to be set up correctly.

--

My package and add-ons were all on there previously, but he described them as being piecemealed rather than being on there as simply as possible.  He basically removed my package and re-added it.  I checked all my channels... they worked.  He said HBO GO would be working in like 15 minutes, and it was.  I had asked for a call back, but it was working so I didn't call back in.  That dude needs a raise.  It infuriates me off to think that the other morons that I've spoken to make anything close to what he makes.  

Anyway, hope this helps.

Regular Visitor

Thanks.  I actually "chatted" online with a customer support rep who actually tried to help.  My issue is lthat I cannot access the activation window on Xfinity after getting an activation code from HBO Go on Apple TV.  She actually duplicated the problem on her side.  She claims that my account was set up properly and wrote a ticket for IT to fix the problem.  Its supposed to be repaired in 24 to 72 hours.  I copied and pasted your posts on a message, and she seemed to be aware of (and monitoring) this forum.  Thank for your help and for posting on this issue.

Frequent Visitor

I just got a follow up call from Comcast Technical Support.  I explained that Josh had already fixed the issue and asked him for the resolution steps (... so I could put them here...):

--

Basically, Comcast has more than one system that shows what packages and add-ons that we, as customers, have.  One of these systems was not communicating properly with their billing system.  The resolution step is to remove the packages & add-ons and replace them.

Sorry to hear that your problem is different, but maybe this information will prove useful for someone else.  In other news, I have finished the first two seasons of Game of Thrones on HBO GO.  =)

New Poster

What was the outcome after the waiting period? I am having the same issue with the hbogo.com\activation to enter the code provided.  It directs me to the comcast login and wont go to where i can enter the code.  Its a never ending loop and just go the apple TV because i had HBO and love the HBO go feature on all my other devices.  Comcast needs to help it clearly is supposed to work as there are specific options that can be selected and the comcast web site is involved. thanks anyting can help......

Regular Visitor

I have this same issue on my Apple TV and my iPhone. 

"You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription"

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation