New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HBO GO not working on Apple TV or iOS App

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

HBO GO not working on Apple TV or iOS App

I'm having trouble activating my Apple TV device on the HBO GO web site. 

Here is what happens:

1. I turn on my Apple TV and launch the HBO GO app
2. An Activation Code is displayed
3. I use Safari on my Mac laptop to go to www.hbogo.com/activate
4. Under 'Activate a Device' I select Apple TV
5. When it prompts me to 'Select Your HBO Television Provider I select Xfinity
6. The page goes automatically to https://login.comcast.net
7. I enter my comcast username and password
8. The page goes thttp://xfinity.comcast.net/instantly/watch/?cid=tve&p=d and the following message is displayed:

"HBO...Good News! You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription. Go forth and watch."

The process NEVER prompts me to enter my Apple TV activation code. I've repeated the process several times and I always end up at the same message. 
Accepted Solution

Re: HBO GO not working on Apple TV or iOS App

Figured it out. Use another browser where you don't have any of your information stored (I used safari, normally I use chrome). It will prompt you for activation code after log in.
View answer in context
Regular Visitor

A similar thing happens when I try to use the HBO GO app on my iPhone. 

1. I launch the HBO GO app.

2. I enter my comcast user info.

3. Safari web browser launches and gives me the following message:

"HBO...Good News! You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription. Go forth and watch.

4. I can either select 'Go Back' or 'Start Watching'

5. Both of those options take me to the xfinity web site to watch HBO on Demand...

6. If I try to go back to the HBO GO app it takes me back through steps 2-5. 

New Poster

I have the exact same problem. If talked to about 12 different customer service reps, none of them can help. Each one creates a ticket and "escalates" my problem to tech support. Each one tells me it will be fixed in 24-72 hours. It's been about three weeks now, no fix, no call, no email. This is the worst customer service experience of my life. If someone finds a solution please share.
New Poster

I just figured this out! I had purchased an add on HBO to my already existing internet service. What I needed to do was purchase their new "Internet Plus" package. Once I did that I was able to access HBOGo on all my apple devices, Appletv, iPhone, and iPad. The package deal is cheaper than what I am currently paying for(for 12 months, at least), and has faster internet speed.

Hope this works for you! Don't bother with any Comcast CSR, they are trained to dismiss you if they can't figure something out.
New Poster

This doesn't work for me. I already had the package you speak of but I get the same message. Potential minor difference is that they screwed up setting up my package to begin with and I had to spend a few hours getting them to install the hbo access. 

Comcast you suck serious a55 at anything related to customer service. This isn't that hard Comcast, get it together. 

P.S. I can't wait until some company figure out how to put you major telecom and broadband carriers out of business. You are all that is wrong with this world. /firstworldproblems

New Poster

We managed to get it to work by using Firefox while signed out of the comcast website. When using google chrome we got the constant redirects. I really do hate comcast and their need to have their hand in everything I do
New Poster

I too had the same message - "HBO...Good News! You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription."  

I am new to Comcast and hadn't yet received my cable box.  Once I had a cable box associated to my account I was able to activate the device.  This took me over a week and many many calls to figure out.  

Good luck. 

Regular Visitor

Hi, is there a solution for this? Im stuck in the loop "Good news! you already have HBO GO..."

Not such good news, the few times I can get Apple TV to activate (which takes repetedly hitting activate, signing in, hitting ok as it redirects me to the xfinity site, only to have to start over), it looses connection after a few hours.

I can watch thru the xfinity site.

I can not watch on my ipad (same loop issue when trying to log-in"

I can not watch thru my iphone. (same loop issue...)

Any help would be extremely appreciated, as Ive lost my patience with this, ive spoken to several reps, phone and internet chat, without any resolution. Most of the reps did not know what an Apple TV was or how to deal with the issue. They all just "reset" my connection/account and assured me the issue was fixed...

Regular Visitor

Update:

After digging around this forum, I found the following tech support number to use (cant remember the post) : 877-599-1845

They actually knew what an apple tv was (I had a previous service tech ask me "so its an actual television?") and they understood my issue, and were aware thats its a problem for others.

According to them, my current set up allows me to watch HBO Go on a laptop, but not a mobile device (iphone/ipad/apple TV/roku/etc...). For me to watch it mobile, I need to have a cable box. I currently only subscribe to internet service and just added HBO Go to my package. The cable box is used to activate/link my account somehow.

She said I can go and get a basic cable box from my local distribution center, free of charge, no monthly/equipment charge, and then I can have access.

So, taking a trip tomorrow or this weekend to see if I can pick one up, will update then!

Regular Visitor

Update:

Ok, so I went and picked up a digital cable box from my distribution center, didnt have to pay for anything. I took it home, plugged everything in, called the activation number and got the box activated like normal. I immediatly tried activatiing my apple TV and using the ipad app, neither worked/activated, got the loop error like before.

I waited about 30 minutes, then tried my ipad, and i was able to log in, iphone was logge din as well.

So then I tried activating my apple tv, this time no loop! First try in got me to the activation screen where you input the code.

So now everything is working like its supposed to, ill keep an eye out, hopefully it stays solid as im enjoying my hbo access tremendously...

PS, for $10 (HBO GO), $8 for nexflix and $7 for Hulu, I have everything I could possibly want to watch for $25! Not too shabby!

good luck all, hope this helps someone as I was very frustrated by this whole process, not sure why they dont make it clear when you purchase HBO Go that to access thru a "mobile" device you have to activate a cable box.

New Poster

I assume you pay for comcast internet and have modem rental too.  What are the additional fees on that?

Regular Visitor

Hi, in additino to internet/modem rental, HBO go is $10, no fee for the tv receiver

New Poster

Same problem here. I had activated the app previousl, a few days later I mysteriously lost my HBO subscription. When Comcast 'fixed' the issue, the Apple TV app needed to be activated again.

I went through three reps at Comcast support until the last one said they'd create a ticket and get back to me. 

Regular Visitor

The reason why the cable box solution works is billing.  All entitlements flow from the rate codes assigned your accnt in billing.  The cable box is the device used to stream video entitlements and they occupy an outlet in billing to provision the entitlements to.  In some markets, mainly in the east, it will work for awhile without a cable box provisioned, but eventually it will stop. 

You only need to hook up a cable box for a day to make sure it provisions all the entitlements and then you can disconnect it.  You probably won't have to pay any rental fees either.  This is an issue Comcast is working on and it's a complicated problem, but there is a team of engineers working on the solution.

New Poster

its only a complicated problem because they structured their business lazily. They could even fix it within the stupid system they have by issuing virtual boxes to people who don't need/want them in order to circumvent the limitations they imposed. instead it is now two months later and its not fixed. 

New Poster

The suggestion to switch to FireFox worked for us.  When we entered the code there, it succeeded.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I called the number listed above in the thread 877-599-1845 and was talking in a live human in 20 seconds. No endless computer prompts! Save that number for tech issues! They are going to "reset" my service and I can try again in an hour to get out of the loop we all experienced trying to log onto the app. I'll let you know if it works...
New Poster

I had the exact same problem as 715Pettis2ntg after I switched from one promotional package to another. I signed up for a promotional plan with TV and Internet service when I bought my house last year. The plan included HBO, and everything worked fine. I had no trouble at all activating my Apple TV's HBO GO application. When my promotional period was expiring, I went to my local Comcast office and signed up for a new promotional plan called "Blast Plus", which includes very basic TV service, very fast Internet service, and HBO. That's when the problems started.

After signing up for the new plan and setting up my Internet connection, I immediately tried to set up HBO GO on my Apple TV. I went to the HBO GO activation site, chose Apple TV, chose Comcast Xfinity, logged into my Comcast account, and... got the "Good News! You already have HBO on Demand as part of your XFINITY subscription. Go forth and watch." I knew from past experience that I was supposed to be redirected back to the HBO GO site to complete the activation. I called Comcast and spoke to no less than 8 customer service representatives and support techs over the course of 2 days, totalling about 4 hours of time. They created a support ticket and said I would hear back in 24 to 72 hours.

Then I realized I had a cable box sitting on my kitchen table that I hadn't bothered to set up. I literally just wanted Internet and HBO, so why bother setting up the cable box? Well... I connected the cable box to my TV, called the Comcast equipment activation phone number, and activated my cable box using the automated system. A few minutes later, my cable box had rebooted and I could watch regular TV stations, but... still no HBO. The cable box just said "Subscription Service. For ordering information press INFO" when I changed the channel to HBO. The HBO GO activation still didn't work either.

What finally fixed my problem:

I called 1-800-COMCAST again and chose the option for a problem with my TV service. I only told the CSR about the problem watching HBO on my TV, not about the HBO GO problem. She asked for my cable box's serial number and right away saw "HBO is currently disabled on your cable box." She saw that my account has HBO on it, so she simply enabled HBO on my cable box. A few seconds later, HBO started working on my cable box. Progress! I crossed my fingers, went to the HBO GO activation page again, and..... it worked! After logging into Comcast, I was redirected back to the HBO GO site to enter the activation key displayed on my Apple TV. Success!

To summarize:

So if you're having this problem, first make sure you have a cable box on your account. Even if you are technically supposed to have HBO without any cable service, as far as I can tell, you need a cable box on the account. I believe your local office should give you one for free, and I've read elsewhere online that Comcast might be able to provision a "phantom cable box" for you to work around this problem. Second, have the CSR make sure the cable box is activated properly. Third, make sure HBO is enabled on that cable box.

Good luck!

New Poster

I have basically the same issue (minus the apple tv), I get the login loop on all of my devices and via the webpage. I don't want a cable box, but will if I NEED one.

I spent 3 hours on chat with what felt like 50 people (I have the transcripts if you want to see them)

I have submitted the issue to the phone support twice over two weeks

one guy, towards hour 2 agreed with these forums and said I need a cable box, he transfered me to cable support to get one. the guy there assured me that HBOgo was an online account issue and refused to send me a cable box... I don't have transportation so getting to comcast is a pain in the a**... he transfered me to online support (again) where she refreshed my account (again) and decided to escalate the issue to their "HBOGO team" they are supposed to call me back in 3-5 hours.

sigh, I think I'm venting more than asking anything for anything

New Poster

This guy ^^^ gave the best answer!!  Gotta get the set top box and you will be up an running soon after they do the activation.  

I totally agree that this should be very clearly defined to avoid wasted hours of customer service chat, browsing forums like this or pulling all your hair out from the frustration.  ** Requires an Activated Set Top Box.    Five simple words that would really make me go, O.K. activate my set top box, which in my case,  I didn't need it, because I have DIRECTV.   But I found out I actually did need it.  And not only did I need it, it must be activated.  Anyone else here think someone has control issues,?  Not to mention any names. 

Regular Visitor

UPDATED: HBO GO not working on Apple TV or iOS App

12/6/14: I have HBO, two Xfinity X1 DVRs, and Blast 105 internet. 

I kept running into the loop issue mentioned above, when activating HBO Go on a Apple TV. 

I called comcast support for cable TV, and mentioned I was unable to enter the activation code to enable HBO Go on my Apple TV. I mentioned specifically that i get to their login site from the HBO GO activate page, but upon entering my Comcast username / password, it only allows me to view HBO shows via the Comcast page - and DOES NOT prompt me for the activation code. 

The rep did seem to be familiar with the issue, and after reviewing my account, mentioned i did not have the "Cloud Service" enabled on my account. 

I was then transferred to BILLING, where I was instructed to ask they add the "CLOUD SERVICES" to my account.

Of course - Billing services was closed. Will call back in the morning to see if this works.

12/7/14: Update called next day. Billing transferred me to tech support (of course they did).... Tech support stated the billing needs to add "Cloud Service" and "Cloud DVR". Was theny tansferred to Billing, but normal billing - Not X1 Billing. The normal billing department transferred me to X1 Billing. Transfered to Xfinity support again. They stated they simply added the cloud service, and that it should be effective in an hours (I'm sure it will!)

Ticket #'s 

CR417299895

and 

CR417458059

12/8/14: 09:00am: Talked to billing. They told me to speak to App Support @ 877-599-1845

App support only deals with the XFINITY GO App. They told me to call High Speed Internet support to address the HBO GO issue. 

9:30: High speed internet support took my info, created a new ticket, and verified if i "Downloaded the app from the app store". Ticket CR417557247 (This is seriously a joke!  I hope hope HBO starts selling direct!)

9:45 Internet support just transferred me back to App Support. 

New Poster

Make sure your browser is NOT on PRIVATE. I was having the same issue. But alas SUCCESS!!
New Poster

Re: UPDATED: HBO GO not working on Apple TV or iOS App

Had the same issue (no place to enter activation code), and Comcast support was no help.

After reading some other posts, I noticed people having luck when they registered using the Firefox browser. I downloaded it and it fixed my problem, but I have no idea why. Both Safari and Opera refused to show the screen to enter the activation code. Hope this helps!

New Poster

In my opinion you have to treat it as two seperate issues because they are two seperate interfaces.  Here is what I have learned so far:

1. Xfinity claims they are no longer working with HBOGo or Showtimeanytime and you should instead use Xfinity TV Go which you can download from the app store.  I gave up on making the apps work on my iPad and downloaded the App.  it actually works well and provides access to all the content you have subscriptions for.  I consider this a good alternative in my case but am still working on the Apple TV part.

2. I am having the same looping issue but noted someone had said they had their cable box "registered" to their account and everything worked.  I went to my xfinity online accoutn and in "my services" saw a message indicating that i have "no equipment or services" at this time.  I think that is the issue and am working with tech support chat service to get my cable box and modem registered.  Will advise the outcome.

Another note is that I only ordered TV and Internet but everyone I contact is convinced I am a "triple play" customer and they indicate everything is frozen because I haven't activated my voice service.  Unfortunatly I havent owned a land phone or used home phone service for years.  I only use my cell phone.  one of the techs indicated the account and equipment won't activate until I setup the voice.  This looks to me like a case where sells had an incentive to sign folks up for "triple play" and pushed them through that way to get their bonuses etc.  When the installation occurs or customer gets their first bill everyone else has to pay the price for their shenanigans...

New Poster

Just a note.  If you have either an iPad or an iPhone you can install the Xfinity TV Go app and then airplay any of the content to your Apple TV.  Maybe not the solution you wanted but it works great.

New Poster

Foxfire didn't work for me!  soo frustrating.  I give up.  Waste of time and money

New Poster

Has anyone figured this out?

New Poster

Hi, just want to add my voice to the Firefox solution. At first I was trying to activate my Apple TV from Safari and Chrome, with no success. I tried Firefox and it did not work at first. I cleared the cache, tried again, and this time it worked. Can't really explain why, it's a bit infuriating that Comcast still doesn't have this issue fixed. I paid for the service I should be able to receive it unhindered! But I'm glad I now have HBO GO working on my Apple TV.

New Poster

The Xfinity TV Go app does not provide access to most shows, either on HBO or Showtime

New Poster

This was driving me insane. Finally used another browser where my information wasn't stored, and it prompted me for code after log in. Good luck!
New Poster

Figured it out. Use another browser where you don't have any of your information stored (I used safari, normally I use chrome). It will prompt you for activation code after log in.