Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Guide: How to play Xfinity TV on a Linux PC.

Frequent Visitor

Guide: How to play Xfinity TV on a Linux PC.

This is an easy guide to get Xfinity TV to play on a Linux machine (if you're having issues).

Step 1 - Install PlayOnLinux on your machine.

Ubuntu/Debian -

Install PlayOnLinux

1. Open the Ubuntu Software Center.
  2. Search for playonlinux.

3. Install.

Fedora

1. You'll need to add the repo to Fedora's software package manager. To do this you'll need to open up your terminal and type the following;

su -c 'rpm -ivh http://rpm.playonlinux.com/playonlinux-yum-4-1.noarch.rpm'

2. After you do that you'll want to type the next command in the terminal;

su -c 'yum install playonlinux'

After the installation is complete, you'll want to launch PlayOnLinux. When you Launch PlayOnLinux it will install a few things to work properly, just let it install what it needs. Once it loads up you'll want to click on "Install a program" located on the right. It'll load a list in which you can search on the top left. You can then search for "firefox". After you see Firefox pop up on your search results, double click it. Then go through the basic prompts for installing Firefox as usual. Firefox will then prompt you to install flash and shockwave. Just keep clicking continue through the prompts. After you are done installing firefox and all the addons it provides, you are finished. Once you are finished, you'll be able to launch PlayOnLinux and then select "Mozilla Firefox" and click "Run" on the top left to run it.

After you get through the initial installation and setup it'll be a very simple process to watch Xfinity TV through Mozilla Firefox on a Linux machine with ease.

*Side Note*

If you get no audio in PlayOnLinux then you'll want to install the following;

wine-alsa.i686
wine-alsa.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.x86_64

Please contact me if you need any assitance.

-Hytekk

Regular Visitor

Re: Guide: How to play Xfinity TV on a Linux PC.

I get this messageon Ubuntu

PlayOnLinux cannot find curl (from cURL)

any help wonder be wonderful

New Poster

SteelersFanBomb wrote:

I get this messageon Ubuntu

PlayOnLinux cannot find curl (from cURL)

Go back to the ubuntu Software Center, search for curl, and see if it is installed or not. If not, install it.

Regular Visitor

Actually I have been able to get this to work

I went to the PlayOnLinux site and ran there scripts

Howeve I have to install PlayOnLinux from the softwae ceter again

It does work.  It isnt 100% wonderful but it works.  The video is grainy and network lag will kill ya!

And i remembered again I stopped using firefox

New Poster

Do you have to use Firefox?  Although I prefer Firefox, Chromecast requires  Chrome.  I would like to stream Comcast through Chromecast.  Windows is not an option.

Regular Visitor

I wouldnt have any idea with Chrome cast.  I know Comcast works better on Firefox due to Flashplayer

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

I don't know if any of you have tried the solutions I posted on the Please Support Linux Thred but here it is.

There is good news for all us Linux users the FDS-TEAM is working on a wine based product called Pipelight it will install the Windows version of Flash 12 and Microsoft's Silverlight 5.1 in to a Linux browser FrieFox and Chrome.

They offer repositories for most popular Linux distros, This is the link http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html It is not perfect yet but it dose work I am using it on OpenSuse and Ubuntu is also supported. They are very helpful if you have problems installing.

The other option is to install Wine from this link http://www.winehq.org/download and then install Fierfox and Windows flash into Wine.

New Poster

Bummer - not compatible with my nVidia driver.

(My machine's too new, not willing to muck with the drivers yet.)

Frequent Visitor

I have tested with the open source AMD Nvidia and Intel Drivers all work for me. What distro are you using? The Pipelight fourms do discribe how to install with the propritary Nvidia drivers.

Regular Visitor

flash player and shock player will not load, could not get it to work.

Frequent Visitor

If you are using FireFox it is now possible to install Chrome Pepper Flash if it is supported by your Distro OpenSUSE is now supporting it. It is much easier to install and keep up to date or you can install Google Chrome. In both cases you will need a user agent changer to fake out  Xfinity to think you are using a Windows browser.

Frequent Visitor

One more very important step un-install Linux flash version 11.2 or it will dominate your browser preventing Windows flash 15 from running

New Poster

I followed your instructions and succesfully installed Firefox with PlayOnLinux 4.2.2. The Video stream works, but no sound. How do I find and install the items:

wine­alsa.i686
wine­alsa.x86_64
alsa­plugins­pulseaudio.i686
alsa­plugins­pulseaudio.x86_64

I have a 64 bit Intel processesor and running Mint 17 (Mate). Do I need all four items?

Thank you

New Poster

Use the playonlinux.deb package. Use terminal to install. "Sudo dpkg -i playonlinux.deb". Remove firefox from your ubuntu. Install Firefox in the playonlinux program make sure you check the Flash addon. 

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation