Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Firefox 10 and ZERO Sound on Win7 64bit

Regular Visitor

Firefox 10 and ZERO Sound on Win7 64bit

I just upgraded to Firefox 10 based upon postings in this forum. However, a HBO movie plays but I get zero sound from my browser. In the previous version, I got sound but it was severely muted. Any ideas?

BTW. I have tried IE9 and I never make it to the movie. I get the HBO title and then a black screen. MS Silverlight in IE9 gives zero indication of failure. Chrome was not any better. All of this is in Win7 64bit.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Firefox 10 and ZERO Sound on Win7 64bit

couple of thigs to try.

1. clear cache

2. Clear cookies

3. make sure you have the most updated version of microsoft silverlight

4. Update flash

1. Log into Comcast Customer Central (the normal login to manage your account).

2. Go to: http://xfinity.comcast.net/profile/

3. Look to the right of the page (you may have to scroll down) under a box with the header "Devices & Diagnostics."

4. Scroll down within that box and click on the link called "Authorized PC devices."

5. You will see the following message: "In order to protect your account from abuse, there is a 3 device limit per Comcast Digital Cable subscription. Please manage your devices below. Removed devices can be added again upon next use."

6. When I navigated to this page, I discovered that the "3 devices" listed were ALL MY ONE SAME DEVICE I've been using to access my premium content (Showtime / HBO) online. Xfinity was not recognizing my various logins from the same device (my Mac) as such---but instead recognizing each subsequent login as a "new device." Apparently clearing the cache, etc. does not fix this.

7. I simply clicked "REMOVE" for all "three devices" (actually just my one device, but listed as "three devices" from three separate logins), thus completely clearing the list and thereby removing the block triggered by Xfinity's aforementioned "3 device limit."

8. I then logged out completely, cleared my cache just to be sure, launched Firefox again, accessed Xfinity TV online and guess what? Those annoying orange "locked" buttons have been replaced with pretty green "play" buttons once again, and I can watch my premium content online.

-----

This fixes it, I am telling you. This is definitely it. There is a glitch, and I guarantee you you guys all have "3 devices" (possibly from actually reaching your 3 device limit, but possibly also just from multiple logins from a single device) listed in this section of your account. Once you hit the "3 limit," Comcast locks you out of premium content on what it seems to be perceiving as "any device beyond your 3 device limit."

Delete these "3 devices" (as it says, you effectively add them back when you log in again, so deleting can do no harm), log out, clear your cache, close and reopen your browser, and then log back in again:

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation