Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Falling Skies Crashes Silverlight (Fear Factor Doesn't)

Frequent Visitor

Falling Skies Crashes Silverlight (Fear Factor Doesn't)

I'm trying to watch Falling Skies (any episode) and every episode crashes Silverlight immediately upon playing the actual episode.

I am able to watch other shows (like Fear Factor) with no problems.  It's not a browser issue when I'm able to play other shows.

Here's what I've done to try to fix it so far:

1. Uninstalled Silverlight, then re-visited the Falling Skies page and was prompted to reinstall Silverlight, which I did successfully.

2. Rebooted.

3. Cleared my internet history, cookes, and cache in all of my browsers: Google Chrome v12, Internet Explorer 9.

4. Called Comcast 3 times: the first time I was hung up on while being transfered, the second time, I was put on indefinite hold (32 minutes), and the third time I was given a bogus 888 number for customer support which provided me with a pre-recorded message stating that the number was disconnected.

Needless to say, your customer service certainly lives up to it's reputation.

Fix this issue, notify me when it's fixed and credit my account for 2 days for every day that it is down.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Falling Skies Crashes Silverlight (Fear Factor Doesn't)

zaccoy wrote:

I'm trying to watch Falling Skies (any episode) and every episode crashes Silverlight immediately upon playing the actual episode.

I am able to watch other shows (like Fear Factor) with no problems.  It's not a browser issue when I'm able to play other shows.

Here's what I've done to try to fix it so far:

1. Uninstalled Silverlight, then re-visited the Falling Skies page and was prompted to reinstall Silverlight, which I did successfully.

2. Rebooted.

3. Cleared my internet history, cookes, and cache in all of my browsers: Google Chrome v12, Internet Explorer 9.

4. Called Comcast 3 times: the first time I was hung up on while being transfered, the second time, I was put on indefinite hold (32 minutes), and the third time I was given a bogus 888 number for customer support which provided me with a pre-recorded message stating that the number was disconnected.

Needless to say, your customer service certainly lives up to it's reputation.

Fix this issue, notify me when it's fixed and credit my account for 2 days for every day that it is down.

Fear Factor does not use Silverlight, that uses the Flash Player. Your issue is with just Silverlight videos.

When Falling Skies crashes, what error message and/or number appear?

Also, please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 98203 My Cable Provider: Comcast Snohomish Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Activated My Set Top Box Names: XXXXXX DVR My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 50.46.184.XXX My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 21 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.49 Safari/537.1 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: 5.1.10516.0 My flash version: 11.3 R31 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled

My Account Information Primary Account: False Provider Codes: S, Ci, Bq, Ce, Cd, Cf, By, Bu, At, Bs, Cb, Ch, Bm, Bl, Bv, B, Br, Bo, Cc, Bn Internet Subscriber: False Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False
Frequent Visitor

No error message number appears.  It just says "Oops Silverlight Crashed" (in Chrome).  In IE9 it just autoreloads the page and the crash happens all over again (once the commercial is done playing again)

Official Employee

zaccoy wrote:

No error message number appears.  It just says "Oops Silverlight Crashed" (in Chrome).  In IE9 it just autoreloads the page and the crash happens all over again (once the commercial is done playing again)

I am sorry but we do not fully support beta versions of web browsers. Can you please try using Google Chrome 20 or another web browser and let me know if videos are working.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

As I said in my original email, IE9 (A NON BETA BROWSER) is not working.

Official Employee

zaccoy wrote:

As I said in my original email, IE9 (A NON BETA BROWSER) is not working.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

As I said in my original email I TRIED USING MULTIPLE BROWSERS with the exact same result on ALL of them.

Official Employee

zaccoy wrote:

As I said in my original email I TRIED USING MULTIPLE BROWSERS with the exact same result on ALL of them.

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the link below:

Windows users 

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

(I know you tried this already but I want you to install Silverlight from the link above)

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I uninstalled and re-installed using the link you gave me.  It's still crashing in all browsers.

Frequent Visitor

I tried:

IE9 - Crashes and auto-reloads the page over and over again (endless loop of commercials)

Chrome - Crashes with "Silverlight Plug-In Crashed"

Safari 5.1 - Doesn't work - get a message stating that I need to upgrade

Opera 12 - Doesn't work - get a message stating that I need to upgrade

Firefox 12.0 - Crashes with "The Silverlight PlugIn has crashed - No Report Available - Try Reloading the Page"

Official Employee

zaccoy wrote:

I tried:

IE9 - Crashes and auto-reloads the page over and over again (endless loop of commercials)

Chrome - Crashes with "Silverlight Plug-In Crashed"

Safari 5.1 - Doesn't work - get a message stating that I need to upgrade

Opera 12 - Doesn't work - get a message stating that I need to upgrade

Firefox 12.0 - Crashes with "The Silverlight PlugIn has crashed - No Report Available - Try Reloading the Page"

Can you try these videos and let me know if Silverlight is crashing:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Hoarding%3A-Buried-Alive/106769/2258975586/Sleeping-in-a-Dumpster/vi...

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Dallas/171940/2257732755/Collateral-Damage/videos

Also, do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

The first video link played just fine.

The second video link crashed silverlight.

I disabled my Firewall and antivirus software prior to submitting this ticket and it still remains off.  My antivirus software is Comodo Internet Security Premium.

Official Employee

zaccoy wrote:

The first video link played just fine.

The second video link crashed silverlight.

I disabled my Firewall and antivirus software prior to submitting this ticket and it still remains off.  My antivirus software is Comodo Internet Security Premium.

It seems like it is just Turner videos that are crashing Silverlight (TNT/TruTV/TBS/Cartoon/CNN). I haven't been able to duplicate it but I will further test these videos.

Do you have any ad blocking software installed?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

No ad blockers, like I said before, the ads play (consistently every time)  I've watched 45 commercials and no show.  Where's my credit???  I got my bill and there was no credit on there at all!  This is so rediculous.  

How about you just let me choose which player I would like to use so I can use the Adobe Flash player, or better yet, just make the videos HTML5 compliant so I can just watch it natively without a plug in?

New Poster

I'm using Windows 7I've run into the same problem and was able to work around the problemI've found that I'm able to get things working properly by installing the latest version of Firefox, installing the latest version of flash player, and downgrading Silverlight to version 4.1There seem to be problems with using Silverlight version 5 and problems with using IE browsers (which suck for many other reasons).

Comcast customer support is useless (sorry Joe but it's true) ; hopefully you'll find this helpful and they'll wake up.

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads ( you need to uninstall version 5 before installing version 4)
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation