Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Error ftde.0001 - Can't Watch TV on Xfinity Website

New Poster

Error ftde.0001 - Can't Watch TV on Xfinity Website

Can't watch TV on my xfinity account via xfinity.com - this just started happening... it says to clear my cache and try again and I have done that but it doesn't work. Restarted my computer and used chrome and it still didnt work. Help!

New Poster

Re: Error ftde.0001 - Can't Watch TV on Xfinity Website

I've got this same problem.  I need help too!

New Poster

this just happened to me aswell,  i'm on safari 9.1.3, (can't upgrade any higher)    i called xfinty they said it sounds like a browser thing?  I haven't changes anything on my end.   i called apple they said i could take my laptop in since it's 2008 model.  chrome seems to work for me but this is bs.  i can't figure it out and its frustrating.  hope to hear a solution here,  thnx

Regular Visitor

Dealing with the same issue for 4 days now. Also on Safari 9.1.3. On Firefox I can get the non-streaming pages (Favorites etc) but cannot stream. Have chatted with Xfinity multiple times but issue remains unresolved.

Frequent Visitor

Lower tier tech support unable to address problems with respect to Error ftde.0001. = no video streaming or ability to review channels on xfinity web site on mac os on multiple browsers (safari, firefox, chrome). Instructions do not work either:

"Please clear your browser's cache

Sorry, we're having some trouble. Please clear your browser's cache and then refresh this page.
Learn how to clear your cache by clicking here.

(Error ftde.0001)

Try Again"

Have had  2 "tickets" issued for higher tier support which have not be responded to going on 4 days.

See this error also reported on other non-xfinity web sites, but lower tier technical support appears ignorant of the problem and does't have access to web to read what I see, nor a direct line to higher level escalated technical support other than indirectly via writing a "ticket". 

All other video streaming service providers checked on same computer seem OK. 

Interminable holds on getting any response from lower level technical support after they have answered the phone. call backs do not occur. 

New Poster

Error ftde.0001  Same error

Regular Visitor

Got the direct number yesterday for high level tech support -- 855-484-1453. Try calling it! They reset something and I can now stream on Firefox. Still getting the error code on Safari.

Frequent Visitor

Spoke with tier 3 technical support and apparently the Firefox workaround to problems with Safari on the ftde.0001 error is not applicable to all Mac OS / Firefox situations.

Was also advised that

- approximately 130 customers have complained about this ftde.0001 error.

- that the bug is that users are not being authenticated for video streaming even if logged in

- that on a scale of  1 to 10 engineering response, with 1 being low priority and 10 being high priority that this event is a 1 given the relatively low number of customers known to be impacted relative to other technical issues or outages.

- that posting corrective information on the web site about ineffectiveness of the automatically posted fix (i.e., to update flash, delete cache) would unnecessarily alarm more customers than it would help.

- that the user forums aren't monitored on a regular basis by Comcast technical support and that notices regarding corrections would not be posted on them.

Would therefore urge others who are experiencing this error to report it directly to escalated technical support at Comcast so that the company understands the magnitude of this error (9 days out and counting)

Seems to me that the lack of published information on this bug are compounding frustrations rather than serving the greater good, but Comcast didn't agree.

New Poster

Strange as it may sound I had to reply because i couldn't figure out how to post a new message. (that's with 30 years computer / internet experieince - talk about a user friendly site)

I am also one of the many hundreds of people that cannot view xfinity stream on my iMac via Safari. It worked fine for many months, I made NO changes to my hardware or software and then all of a sudden this past week it would not work giving the message to clear my cache which accomplished nothing. Recognize that I could receive Xfinity streaming on pother devices such as a windows PC, iPhone, iPad and Mac Mini desktop.

I spent an hour on the phone with Xfinity customer support - the person was clueless. I could have had the same discussion with my dog and felt better about the results.  When she suggested I take my iMac back to the manufacturer to address its configuration (which worked fine for months) I had enough and ended the call.

My iMac is running Yosemite and Safari 9.1 only because I have some other software that won't run on newer versions. That's OK the iMac is primarily used for news, surfing the net and more recently TV at the breakfast table.

I suspect xfinity made a change to their product and somehow it has an issue with thses older versions of software.

That said, they should 1) own up to the problem, 2) put somebody on the task of fixing it 

New Poster

I have the same problem - customer support is clueless. 

New Poster

getting the same error code, no help from the support team

they just want me to load a new browser instead of safari, i have been using safari on this computre for years with no issues

it seems to be on their end

very frustrating

Frequent Visitor

I received this note from Tier 3 technical support at Comcast:

"I just received an email stating the issue has been resolved. They are asking customers to update the Safari browser to the latest version, which is macOS 11.0.3."

The message, if it's to be interpreted in a way that seems to make sense, is that the user should update to Safari 11.0.3 (Not  "MacOS 11.0.3"). However, the version of Safari has only been out for a week. Moreover, for those of us on older MacOS releases, as  happens to be the case for me, the new version of Safari incompatible. There means that we would have to update to a later generation MacOS operating system to be compatible, and that in itself can be time consuming if not be incompatible with other Apps we are using or perhaps the hardware we may may be using.  Yet, one of their tier 3 supervisors tonight, hearing all the above, claimed that my older OS was supported as per his documentation and what I've seen online, and so their own information seems hopelessly incorrect.

I was advised that there was no other recourse and that the engineering team will not be looking into this issue further.  I was also told I would not be getting a pro-rated refund, even though this issue began on 1/18.

All my other video streaming services are fine. It seems Xfinity needs to go further to identify the root cause of the problem and not just ask everyone to jump through hoops to make their computers compatible. They need to identify a solution that works for more of their customer base otherwise it seems irresponsible. 

I would encourage other users to contact Xfinity if your sitaution is similar the one I've described here. I've asked to be contacted by a higher level manager, but am not holding my breadth.

New Poster

Well put. What you are describing is called backwards compatability. Thousands, probably millions of people have devices that are not running the latest operating system software for all kinds of reasons. A service that tailors its product to only work with the latest version of such software is simply losing all those customers. If the marketing & sales guys knowe how much of their market they were losing as a result of technical ignorance they'd be up in arms.

@ wrote:

I received this note from Tier 3 technical support at Comcast:

"I just received an email stating the issue has been resolved. They are asking customers to update the Safari browser to the latest version, which is macOS 11.0.3."

The message, if it's to be interpreted in a way that seems to make sense, is that the user should update to Safari 11.0.3 (Not  "MacOS 11.0.3"). However, the version of Safari has only been out for a week. Moreover, for those of us on older MacOS releases, as  happens to be the case for me, the new version of Safari incompatible. There means that we would have to update to a later generation MacOS operating system to be compatible, and that in itself can be time consuming if not be incompatible with other Apps we are using or perhaps the hardware we may may be using.  Yet, one of their tier 3 supervisors tonight, hearing all the above, claimed that my older OS was supported as per his documentation and what I've seen online, and so their own information seems hopelessly incorrect.

I was advised that there was no other recourse and that the engineering team will not be looking into this issue further.  I was also told I would not be getting a pro-rated refund, even though this issue began on 1/18.

All my other video streaming services are fine. It seems Xfinity needs to go further to identify the root cause of the problem and not just ask everyone to jump through hoops to make their computers compatible. They need to identify a solution that works for more of their customer base otherwise it seems irresponsible. 

I would encourage other users to contact Xfinity if your sitaution is similar the one I've described here. I've asked to be contacted by a higher level manager, but am not holding my breadth.

New Poster

This just started in January.  Techs too lazy to fix.  Tell you to use another browser.  Safari is a legit browser.

New Poster

I have the same problem and have been going round and round with tech support for three weeks now.  The initially insisted it was an issue with my browser until I pointed out I could stream from the for you recently recorded webpage fine but not from the saved recordings webpage.  I updated the browser and it still was the same issue.  Then they tried to tell me it was my modem (I don't rent theirs I own my own)   They escalated my ticket to the highest level three tech support who after four more calls who told me it was an issue with my internet service signal being weak and a technician visit would be needed. He came today and found no issue with my internet and so he called in and a woman read him some memo about there being a "known issue" with the streaming portal and that until they resolved it you could not watch your DVR recordings over the internet, he then hung up his phone and apologized because there was nothing he could do and he left. I am just really tired of my time being wasted, being lied to and paying for service I cannot use. All I want is what you promised me I could have when I signed this two year contract.  They seem to have broken their streaming portal trying to comply with the courts order they stop infringing on Tivo's patents and just aren't willing to confess that is the issue. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-lawsuit/tivo-hits-comcast-with-new-round-of-patent-l...

New Poster

whats wrong?

New Poster

Thanks for that information!  A Tier 1 person (Rose in the Phillipines)  opened a service ticket three days ago to escalate my not being able to stream Xfinity video from my Mac Book Pro using my Safari browser (worked fine for three years).  After waiting two days, I called in yesterday and gave them my ticket number to see how they were making out.  I had to start over at Tier 1 (Brandi in FL) and after no help she dumped me at Tier 2 (Brian in FL) who said they could not find anything or help me either so he dumped me to a Tier 2 supervisor  who told me it was only my specific computer and that they (Xfinity/Comcast) could not help me and that I should go find a third party to fix it. (btw - that was Tasha Tier 2 supervisor employee #5905446 in the Ft Myers FL call center - watch out for her she was the least helpful and the most unempathetic and unfriendly of all the reps I have dealt with).

Now this morning I finally got a hold of another Tier 2 (Charles) worker who confirmed that it is indeed not just my Mac, but rather it is a "known issue" that some Macs using Safari browsers cannot get on Xfinity to stream tv shows.  He told me the known incompatibility issue was referenced in their internal notes with SI (Service Incident) #025466378.  

Not knowing what or who to believe, I tried one more call to Xfinity/Comcast to see who was going to say what this time.  I had to waste 20+ minutes with Tier 1 (Ron) who has NO access to a data base for incomaptibility issues. (she had no way of accessing SI #s as Tier 1 is not given that "tool" (go figure).  So after "doing my time" with tier 1 she finally put me through to Tier 2 (April) who after checking the above SI# told me that # was incorrect as it had to do with TIVO incompatibility issues, However that another SI# 025375158 in fact did reference and confirm the Safari - Xfinity incompatibility issue surfacing since the end of last year when their new website was launched.  April said she opened a new ticket and that someone will get back to me.

So who is correct? Rose, Brandy, Brian and Tasha or Charles or Ron and April?  It's really disappointing that such a large company (that takes so much money from all of us every month) has such a messed up support department with so many ill-trained people telling (and I think really each believing) their inconsistent answers to our problems. 

Frequent Visitor

After awaiting  for a response for about a month on this issue, and many contradictory responses until now (similar to the previous customer ... "So who is correct? Rose, Brandy, Brian and Tasha or Charles or Ron and April?"), I learned from Comcast this evening that they will not support any version of Safari earlier than Safari 10. 

Note, however, as still published on their web site today, their Macintosh Computer Requirements are as follows:

(see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-website-requirements)

Supported Operating Systems 

• OS X 10.7 or later

Supported Web Browsers 

• Firefox 24 or later 
  • Google Chrome 31 or later 
  • Safari 6 or later 

The individual I spoke with seemed to be in a position to be able to reliably report this decision accurately, but wasn't able to respond to my complaint that an abrupt change in computer requirements seems like a violation of an explicit obligation. I also don't believe this kind of quick change is in line with best industry practices. Safari 10 was released for macOS Sierra 10.12 for OS X, in September 2016. This leaves a number of older Mac OS users out in the cold.

Updating an operating system isn't necessarily a simple matter for a customer relative to hardware purchases or software applications already installed on their computer. In my view a much more reasonable level of backwards compatibility is commonplace in software industry product releases. 

I was told that Macintosh Computer Requirements on the Comcast web site would be updated soon. However, I made it clear that I don't think this is a responsible resolution and had indicated that as a consumer I would have expected more advanced notice of signficant changes and some phasing in period, rather than being blindsided.

Perhaps some company VP considered what the cost would be of correcting the premature rollout of their new streaming services and the potential cost of blowing off a certain part of their customer base, and finally came to a calculated business decision that the risk of losing a certain segment of their market was less than the cost of fixing whatever bugs were reported.  Normally, in my experience, internal quality assurance teams test new software (comcast video streaming) for operating system backward compatibility and other potential issues before it is released if it displaces existing customers and leaves them with no older alternatives.

I will be reviewing my options for filing a complaint, which I already made through the agent at Comcast, but also potentially elsewhere. I don't imagine if Comcast were in a more competitive environment with alternative providers having equal access to infrastructure that they would be as quick to make this kind of business decision. 

For what it's worth, I would certainly advise Comcast of your dissatisfaction although I don't think it likely that they will reverse their decision on this.

Frequent Visitor

For what is worth I just found that a new February 2018 release of Firefox (Version 58.0.2) is able to handle XFinity Website Streaming on an older Mac OS version 10.9.5. Earlier releases of Firefox weren't successful and were producing the same error message as Safari.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 13 in conversation