Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,807,812

members

48

online now

1,953,730

discussions

Top

Error Message 422

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Error Message 422

No matter what movie I choose to watch, I get error message 422, that the movie is currently unavailable. I've checked the availabilities before trying to watch. I've hidden premium channels. But no matter which movies or shows I choose, they're unavailable. I'm trying to view online, and yes, I've checked beforehand that what I'm choosing is available online.

Accepted Solution

Re: Error Message 422

THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for a fix for this problem for over 6 months!  I'm super glad I ran into your post. 

View answer in context
Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

To fix this problem on a computer clear out your browser's - browsing history.  Apparently Xfinity downloads a large buffer of video before playing.

 

If this does not work please post which browser you are using.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

I just wanted to assert that dadgren's solution works for this problem.  In fact, I only deleted the URLs that pertained to comcast.net and comcast.com, and I only deleted those ones that were created AFTER the problem started.  However, if you don't care about your History list, you might want to follow dadgren's advice and just clear your entire browsing history.  Given how few URLs I deleted, I might still have more large caches sitting around on disk.

 

 

Now that I think about your explanation, dadgren, it makes perfect sense.  If a website is able to instruct the browser to "cache" large portions of a previously loaded video onto your computer (or even if maybe the browser decides to do so on its own, based on the MIMEType of the content stream), then each such cache would have to be associated with the corresponding URL that was first used to retrieve that video, or at least the full domain or subdomain contained within the URL. As long as such a video URL remains in your History list, then its corresponding cache would most likely remain on your disk.


Since I did NOT clear my entire browsing history, but instead only deleted the past week of URLs whose domains were comcast.net and comcast.com, I am pretty convinced that the caches are being created on a per-full-URL basis.  If so, that should give me an opportunity to see if I can find Google Chrome pathnames for the caches still remaining (hopefully they are not all hidden away in some database).

 

Given the fact that this catastrophic failure results in the inability to play ANY "tv online" videos from the Xfinity website, I would certainly call this a "design bug". But I am not sure whether to blame it on the browser or on the website's way of instructing the browser to cache data locally.  I am guessing that it is the website's fault, because I have never had this problem with other sites that provide live web streaming.  Then again, Xfinity is possibly the only website that I have ever used that provides live content on a channel-by-channel basis.

 

On a technical note:  I was experiencing the bug for each channel that I tried to watch in the tab called "Watch Online", under the sub-tab labeled "Live TV (new)".  These URLs look like the following:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/live/network/foxsports1?cmpid=livetv_fox-sports-1_onnow

 

I wish that before fixing the bug, I had attempted to see if on-demand viewing would have also failed, such as Game of Thrones, which has a URL that looks like:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Game-of-Thrones/8664416244536328112/1880051593/Game-of-Thrones-01...

 

It would have been interesting to know if xfinity gives drastically different instructions to the browser when viewing on-demand content vs. live content.

 

I am going to snoop around and see if I can find out if Chrome and/or Firefox gives you an easy way to see "how much disk space is being consumed for each URL (or maybe each domain) in your History list".

 

Many thanks to dadgren.  I would not have guessed this one in a million years.  I was SURE that it was related to cookies, so I first deleted all the cookies that I had associated with comcast.net and comcast.com, only to find that it didn't fix the problem.  I am eating Humble Pie right now.  :-)

 

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422


lgrunner34 wrote:

I just wanted to assert that dadgren's solution works for this problem.  

 

I am going to snoop around and see if I can find out if Chrome and/or Firefox gives you an easy way to see "how much disk space is being consumed for each URL (or maybe each domain) in your History list".

 

Many thanks to dadgren.  I would not have guessed this one in a million years.  I am eating Humble Pie right now.  :-)

 


You are very welcome and thanks for the acknowledgement.  I have gotten used to the taste of CROW and HUMBLE PIE from posting on this forum. 

 

I did some snooping and could not find any Chrome files for cache size. Then it occurred to me I have a program install that should shed some light on the problem. First I want to CLEARLY STATE I DO NOT RECOMMEND INSTALLING OR USING THIS PROGRAM especially if someone is an inexperienced computer user. If not used correctly it can easily damage software.

 I have CCleaner version 5.01.5075 and I use it to clear cache, history & cookies from all 4 browsers I use at the same time. It is easier than clearing each one individually. I have different extensions in each browser and they are used for different purposes.

I rely more on bookmarks than Internet history.

 

I ran CCleaner to reset everything to zero. Then I used Chrome to watch LIVE TV on Comcast for 20 minutes. Then I ran CCleaner to check cache it was  337,325 KB in 474 files.  I was surprised because I know from experience I can surf the web all day and not reach 300,000 KB.

I ran CCleaner to reset, then watched A MOVIE on Comcast for 20 minutes. The results were almost exactly the same. Cache was 337,493 KB in 567 files.

 

I hope this sheds some useful light on the statement at the end of your post.

New Poster

Re: Error Message 422

I use IE and this did not do a thing to fix my 422 error now what?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Thanks for posting, Dadgren. I did try your suggestion & continue to get the error message. Watching movies on my computer isn't important enough for me to keep trying things that only may work. I'll try contacting Comcast professional support to see if there's a definitive fix, or if or family can adjust our package to get rid of the service that's not working on our machines.

 

Regards.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

IGrunner 34--I'm glad to read the advice has worked for your system. It hasn't, unfortunately, for mine. Our family has opted to alter our Xfinity services package so that we're not paying for a service that doesn't work for us, and requires we waste our free time trying to fix. Thanks for your detailed post, but frankly, the last thing I want to do on my one day off a week is try to fix yet another technology problem. We'd rather just pay for a service that simply works.

 

Thanks, again, and continued good luck to you.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Didn't work for me, either, and I'm the original poster. No longer worth my time, so I'm scrapping the package. Good luck to you, sickoftheloop.

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

I wish my suggestion had worked for both of you. In this case based on my experience this problem is not a Comcast system problem.

If this were a system problem, more people would post it here. I only ask you try one last thing and post back here. If you do not have Google Chrome download it (it's free) and try to use it to watch a movie. Please post your results.

 

I have had a past experience where Internet Explorer stopped working. I will NEVER rely on only one browser again. Chrome is more relyable than I.E. or Firefox with the Comcast system.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Dadgren, I use several browsers, including Chrome. I've had the problem in all of them. I spent many hours yesterday (Monday 16 Feb) online with multiple Comcast support agents via the Xfinity live chat box service trying to fix the problem. After countless attempts--including several that knocked out our Internet service, the inevitable time-consuming modem resets, and Comcast's own modem resets--I'm still getting the 422 error message. I don't agree that simply because more people aren't posting about it, it isn't a Comcast system problem. Nearly all my acquaintances have Comcast Internet TV ONLY because it's bundled with their high speed Internet packages; none of them use the service, however, because of superior offerings (without commercials) via other providers. So even if the problem would manifest on their systems, they wouldn't be aware of it--as I wasn't before happening to give streaming with Comcast a try recently. Without knowing where the problem lies, Comcast remains a possible, and at least I'd argue, probable, source.

 

But good luck with your viewing experience. This isn't what I consider entertainment, regardless the source of the problem--which I don't have with any other streaming service. So I'll just go elsewhere.

 

Much thanks, again, for trying to help.

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

I respect your opinion as your argument is very logical.  I have Comcast Internet TV service with Economy Internet (maybe because I also have Cable HDTV service).

 

I am sorry I could not help.  You might find my post on this thread interesting. CLICK on the link below.

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Billing/why-is-bill-higher-this-month/td-p/2477012

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Bhamviewer and sickoftheloop,

 

Bhamviewer, I too would not be at all surprised if this were purely a Comcast problem, most likely a "web programming" bug.  When it comes to streaming video, VERY few companies know how to do it correctly.  I think that Netflix has come about as close as anyone ... but just a couple of years ago, even their streaming was chock full of bugs!

 

Sorry that I haven't re-chimed in on this issue for a while. I noticed that the first time I deleted a bunch of browser history, the problem went away for maybe a day or two. But shortly thereafter, the problem came back. And this time, deleting a bunch of browser history did not work.


However, this time I tried the following. I cannot swear by my new solution at this point. I firmly believe in "reproducibility":  I would have to see the problem recur for me several times, try my most recent solution each time, and verify that it solves the problem each time.

Anyway, I am about to give you the solution that worked for me this time. By the way, I am using Google Chrome Version 40.0.2214.115 (64-bit) on Mac OS X Version 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion), so please keep that in mind.

Here is what I did: I didn't touch my browser history this time. Instead, I "guessed" that maybe it was some "stale cookie that should have been set to a new value by xfinity but was not reset"

 

Unfortunately, almost company help desk in the world will recommend that you "remove all cookies" from your browser. Forget that! I very much dislike deleting ALL cookies for ALL websites! That is clearly overkill, and can lead to severe regret.

Therefore, I did what I needed to do in order to JUST delete cookies associated with any URL starting with xfinity.comcast.net. I did this intentionally, because I wanted to know if the problem had something to do with cookies associated with xfinity.comast.net or xfinitytv.comcast.net (or maybe both). As it turns out, all I had to do was to delete the (very small number of) cookies associated with xfinity.comcast.net

Instructions for deleting only the cookies associated with xfinity.comcast.net in Google Chrome:

- Before doing anything else, make sure to close ALL windows and/or tabs whose URL contains xfinity.comcast.net and xfinitytv.comcast.net ... To make it easy, just close all windows whose URLs contain xfinity or comast in them.
- Close Google Chrome completely.
- Reopen Google Chrome. It is important to veryif that now you do not have ANY open windows/tabls releated to Xfinity or Comcast.  If you do, repeat the above instructions until you do NOT.
- Now that Google Chrome is open, click on "Settings".
- At the bottom of the Settings page, click "Show Advanced Settings"
- Under the Privacy section, click the "Content Settings" button.
- The first section under Content Settings is "Cookies", and that is the section we want to work in.
- Make sure that "Allow local data to be set" (the recommended setting) is selected.
- Click the button "All Cookies And Site Data".
- Remember, I wanted to delete as few cookies as possible, so:
- In the search box, type "xfinity.comast.net" ... note that this won't even search for anything related to xfinitytv
- This should bring up a VERY short list of cookies, maybe 1 or 2. If the search returns nothing, please let me know. If the search returns a ton of stuff, please let me know that too!
- If the search only brings up one or two items, then proceed with these instructions:

- Click the button "Remove All Shown".
- Immediately close Google Chrome again, and restart it.
- NOW, login to your xfinitytv.comcast.net account, and try to view the program that was showing error 422 before.

 

If your Search list was empty when you searched for xfinity.comcast.net, or if deleting the cookies returned by the search did not solve the problem, if I were you, I would do the entire procedure again (starting from the beginning), and this time I would search for and delete all cookies associated with xfinitytv.comcast.net

 

Again, this is just a hunch.  Unless I find evidence to the contrary, I am going to assume that this problem is being caused by the Comcast (Xfinity) website incorrectly updating their cookies.

Please let me know what happens.

Regarding doing this in Firefox and/or IE, I am guessing that there is some way to delete only a select few cookies in Firefox, and MAYBE even in IE!

Please Google this kind of thing for the browser that you use.

 

Finally, if you have no objection to deleting ALL COOKIES from your browser (something I refuse to do), then you can just do the following:
- Close ALL of your browser's windows.

- Close/reopen your browser, and make sure that each browser restart does NOT automatically open an Xfinity or Comcast window by default (if so, change all that stuff BEFORE doing any of this).

- DELETE ALL COOKIES from your browser.

- Close your browser.

- Restart your browser.

- If no window opens up autormatically, open up a window.

- Login to xfinitytv.comcast.net, and see if the 422 problem has gone away.

 

Good luck!

Seriously, reply to this post, and let me know what happens!  I too want to get to the bottom of this once and for all!

Thanks.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Dadgren,

Thanks for this.  It is interesting that you went down this path.  I did something similar.  Given that I am on a Mac, I used the Activity Monitor to watch the disk activity and the Network activity.  If all is going well, the network activity spikes quite often, in a very regular looking pattern (several spikes at short intervals).  And each time the network activity (I'm talkinga about READING bytes from the streaming site, not WRITING) spikes, the WRITES to my locak disk drive also spike.

 

If you watch these kinds of patterns when streaming with Netflix, they are unbelievable smooth and predictable.  If you watch them when streaming from comcast (xfinity), they are horribly messy.  You'll see a spike for a network READ, and then a VERY long time can go by before you see the next spike.  My initial guess would be that Comcast is not supplying sufficient bandwidth on its streaming servers to handle all the streaming requests.  I certainly HOPE that it is not automatically "throttling" the bandwidth even when there is low demand!


Anyway, I have digressed a bit from what you were talking about.  I only brought this up to say that, yes indeed, depending on how Flash or SliverLight are handling the streaming, they might very well write all the bytes that they just read off the network, and cache them in several blocks for a long time.

 

I am not at all surprised that 20 minutes of video streaming built up a cache of 300 Megabytes, whereas web surfing all day would not come close to that.  That all makes perfect sense to me.   It all depends on how the Flash or SilverLight video players were designed, what kind of tradeoffs the designers decided to make, etc.    Personally, I would like a video player that is streaming from the internet to buffer up (i.e. to cache onto my hard drive) a TON of video data before it starts playing.  Why? Because the one thing that I can't stand when watching a video over the internet is the freain' "pauses" or "hiccups", whatever you want to call them.   So, from my point of view, the more data that the video player wants to cache on my hard drive, the better!

Having said all that, that same player (or the browser, or whatever) had darn well better REMOVE all that cached data when it detects that I "closed" the movie that I was viewing.  :-)

 

By the way, thanks for the tips on CCleaner.  I have indeed decided to not yet install it, but I am tempted to install it in a sandbox and try it out that way!

Thanks again.

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

Hello Igrunner34,

 

You have MORE than enough knowledge to use CCleaner safely. There are lots of options that should NEVER be checked. My biggest fear with someone using it is they check or uncheck a item that they do not completely understand. Or of course I NEVER recommend using the "REGISTRY CLEANER".

 

I have Windows 8.1  64 bit and downloaded CCleaner Free version 5.01.5075 from CNET.  I don't know if your display will be like mine but near the top left is "windows & applications" click on both of these and look around before running CCleaner. It sounds like you want to uncheck browser cookies and maybe internet history (I rely on bookmarks more than history).

 

The driver wipe in TOOLS works well for overwriting free space on your hard drive. It is safe if you feel the need to use it. It can take some time depending on how many overwrites you set it for.

 

In OPTIONS then ADVANCED check the box by "close program after cleaning".

 

If you run it without any changes you will lose your cookies, cache and internet history.

 

I am not sure CCleaner would do anything in a SANDBOX.  Not sure which anti-virus you have but Comcast supplies a very nice Norton Security Suite for FREE to customers.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

dadgren,

 

Wow.  Very useful information to know.  Thanks very much.  I do I.T. work for a doctor's office and they all use Windows XP or Windows 7 Professional.  We also have a Windows Server 2008 Small Business Server.  So, CCleaner will indeed come in VERY handy there also!

Thanks again!

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

Glad to help.  I was very stubborn about keeping my previous anti-virus but after making the switch to the FREE Comcast Norton I am very satisfied.  Norton has some backgroung features that have a PC Tuneup package.

 

Here is link if you need it.

 

http://constantguard.comcast.net/norton-security-suite/

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Oh, great!  Thanks for that!  I will definitely check that out.  I like Norton MUCH better than McAfee or the free versions of Avast and a few other so-called "free" versions, all of which bombard you with pop-up windows all the time, asking you if you want to "upgrade" to the professional version.  I especially despise McAfee.  Once installed, it is so hard to remove McAfee that it acts more like a virus than an antivirus!   And I have no respect for the fact that Dell Computers insists on shipping your computer with McAfee preinstalled, and they refuse to remove it BEFORE shipping the computer.  Likewise, when you download the latest version of Adobe Reader (the so-called "Free" version), they have the folllowing box checked by default: "Also download the free version of McAfee Antivirus".  You have to remember to uncheck that checkbox before downloading Reader.

Regarding the 422 error, I am not going to sop investigating it until I find the definite cause. Right now, I have unfortunately come to the opinion that what is causing the problem is NOT on the client side; i.e. it is not something that can be avoided or fixed by changing something on my computer, specifically something within my browser; e.g. you deleted history elements, and I deleted cookies, and both of us claimed that that "made the problem go away".  It did indeed, but I now beleive that this was a mere coincidence.

 

I say this for the folllowing reason:  a couple days ago the 422 error returned.  So, I decided to do the following to fix the problem:  I did NOTHING! ... I simply WAITED!  :-)

Yep, that's all I did. Well, I did do one thing:  I exited the browser completely, and I simply waited a few minutes.  I then opened the browser, went to the same video as before, and this time it opened.

This is not "abolute" proof that the problem is on the comcast server side (the webapp that is feeding the video), because maybe (maybe) by exiting the browser (Google Chrome on my Mac), I "cleared out" something that was causing the problem.  But I sincerely doubt it.

Of course, that will be my next test.  If the 422 error occurs again (and it will!), this time I will NOT even exit the browser.

I won't do ANYTHING except to WAIT!   I won't even close the page that was trying to play the video.  I will wait at 5 minute intervals, and after the 5 minutes expire, I willl simply refresh the page.  I will try this 6 times (for half an hour), and see if the  422 error goes away.

 

The other reason why I am more and more convinced that the problem is with the Comcast server is because, someteims, when the problem occurs, I open the "developer tools" in Google Chrome, and I look at the JavaScript that is executing, and I look at the http requests and their responses.

 

Well, when the 422 error occurs, I see certain "error responses" come back from the server when the browser sends certain http requests.   HOWEVER, even when the video successfully plays, I see exactly the same error messages in exactly the same places!   I don't see any more or any less error messages whether the video plays or I get the 422 error.

 

In fact, I believe that the code "422" is embedded into the javascript itself.  Hence, the message that we see in the video window might be a message that is being generated by the javascript running within the browser itself.   If so, what preceded that, what precipitated the generaion of the message, must have been a "prior" error message (probably http error code) sent by the server even before I opened the developer tools.

 

So, from now on, in order to see ALL the http requests and their responses, I will have to open the developer tools window and record (save a log of) alll the http error messages flying back and forth that cause the video to play or to fail.

 

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422


lgrunner34 wrote:

 

The other reason why I am more and more convinced that the problem is with the Comcast server is because, someteims, when the problem occurs, I open the "developer tools" in Google Chrome, and I look at the JavaScript that is executing, and I look at the http requests and their responses.

 

Well, when the 422 error occurs, I see certain "error responses" come back from the server when the browser sends certain http requests.   HOWEVER, even when the video successfully plays, I see exactly the same error messages in exactly the same places!   I don't see any more or any less error messages whether the video plays or I get the 422 error.

 

In fact, I believe that the code "422" is embedded into the javascript itself.  Hence, the message that we see in the video window might be a message that is being generated by the javascript running within the browser itself.   If so, what preceded that, what precipitated the generaion of the message, must have been a "prior" error message (probably http error code) sent by the server even before I opened the developer tools.

 

So, from now on, in order to see ALL the http requests and their responses, I will have to open the developer tools window and record (save a log of) alll the http error messages flying back and forth that cause the video to play or to fail.

 


I have no problem believing that the problem is in the Comcast servers. It is strange that my solution works for most users, but I can't explain why it works other than the large download filling the cache. Very strange that closing and opening your browser had any effect, maybe coincidence? Just random chance can mess up any solution.

 

I never thought of Chromes developers tools, I will look at it the next time I have a problem. Usually I do not get an error message, just a never ending spinning circle (buffering).

 

The Comcast Norton is a paid version (Comcast pays for it, volume discount?), not a FREE version. Mine is Norton Security Suite 21.6.0.32 with no strange pop-ups. There was one pop-up that clicking on it did nothing, it is a Windows 8.1 problem and I found the solution on Norton Community.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

I'm using Chrome.  Everything is up to date, clearned cookies etc. Re-set modem.  Video streaming works fine from every other source... Netflix, Amazon prime, Youtube, only Comcast is an issue.  422 error message continues!  H E L P 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Good luck with getting help, Videotrans. I've by this point communicated, literally, with more than a dozen Xfinity technical specialists and supervisors. My problem persists, so I've given up. Next step, find another Internet service provider.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

You would thnk that Comcast tech support (Twiddle D and Twiddle Dum) would scan the forums and suggest fixes.  I guess they just don't have an answer, or just don't give a $hit.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Videotran, I agree that you'd think a large company like Comcast would follow its consumer web-boards and post solutions (even though their agents via chat and phone don't appear to be able to fix this problem), but I guess when you're a monopoly you just don't have to care. What options do most consumers have when Comcast is the only choice in their neighborhoods or buildings? Here's a suggestion I'm considering: using the Internet at the university where I work and the public library near our house, and for necessary connections during other times, using my smartphone.j

 

Hope you find a solution to the issue...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

I just spent another hour online.  I got the "round robin" handoff from one so called technician to another.  They don't even know what a 422 error message is...  They never heard of it...  Three techs .... No clue!    I live in Nashville and Google Fiber is on the way...  Can't wait to make the change!

Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422

All - apologies for the issue and the experience that you encountered. 

The 422 error is a backend error on the player side when watching On Demand content on the XFINITY TV GO website.

 

Generally this can happen for a short time when there is a data center shift or a network-related issue on our end.


This also can occur due to a PC/browser issue if you are getting this message consistently over time. 




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


Videotrans wrote:

I just spent another hour online.  I got the "round robin" handoff from one so called technician to another.  They don't even know what a 422 error message is...  They never heard of it...  Three techs .... No clue!    I live in Nashville and Google Fiber is on the way...  Can't wait to make the change!


Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. In reviewing your account I do see an open ticket for this issue that is being worked by the right teams. Thanks for your continued patience.  




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


BhamViewer wrote:

Good luck with getting help, Videotrans. I've by this point communicated, literally, with more than a dozen Xfinity technical specialists and supervisors. My problem persists, so I've given up. Next step, find another Internet service provider.


Apologies for the issue that you described above. In reviewing your account, it appears that this issue was recently resolved. If that is not the case, please let me know. Thanks for your patience.




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

I am still waiting for a call from Comcast, as promised.  A technician was supposed to call me within 24-48 hours after I originally called regarding the 422 error message.  What happened to my trouble ticket?  

Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


Videotrans wrote:

I am still waiting for a call from Comcast, as promised.  A technician was supposed to call me within 24-48 hours after I originally called regarding the 422 error message.  What happened to my trouble ticket?  


Apologies. I do see the open ticket that is being worked and I have made an inquiry into the status.

 

Thanks for your patience, 




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Error Message 422

422 Error here also. Comcast. You suck! 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

The 422 error code is still ongoing.  What happened to my trouble ticket?  Can you please get some engineers in there that can figure out this problem?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

To those continuing to get the 422 error code, I may have some insight for you. On 26 March I spoke with a Comcast/Xfinity tech support agent who told me the error code means, specifically, that, at least in my case, I am attempting to access service that is NOT available to me because I am not using an Xfinity TV box. Although for some reason the agent couldn't send me the full document in which the eligibility is laid out, he did send me a partial cut-and-paste, which I'll reproduce below in case it's helpful to anyone else.

 

Comcast itself contacted my family to change our Internet-only service to this augmented viewing service. We explained to them we don't watch TV and only use Internet. Their selling point for switching to the more expensive service was that we'd have access to online streaming via the Xfinity website. I clearly asked if there'd be any commercials as our family won't sit through commercials in a setting in which we're already paying for service. The Comcast sales person assured us the programming would be commercial-free, and we switched service. The service worked briefly--but with commercials. And now it may be that we need a TV and additional Xfinity hardware after all to access the service.

 

Moral of the story: Comcast/Xfinity's own representatives may not understand the products they're selling us. Corroborating this, it took months and far more than a dozen technicians to find, finally, a likely reason the 422 error message persists. And though I appreciate that a Comcast representative, ComcastTed, has joined this discussion, I still don't know what his interpretation of the reason for the error message means for my family; perhaps there are multiple reasons for a 422 error message (see seven posts previously, posted on 03-30-2015 11:40 AM, edited on 03-30-2015 11:52 AM).

 

Anyway, below is the official Comcast/Xfinity documentation excerpt--available, I was told, strictly to technicians. The technician who sent it to me told me I'd need to have an active TV box in order for the streaming to work.

 

Xfinity TV Go Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be a digital XFINITY TV customer.
  • Must have a Comcast ID and password.

o    Create Username

o    Don’t Know Username

o    Forgot Your Password

  • In order to stream or download content from a network, the customer must subscribe to that network (e.g., must have Showtime with XFINITY TV to download Showtime content).
  • Paid content (e.g., events) is not available to stream. No money is exchanged through the app.
  • Up to three devices (computers and/or mobile devices) per household account can stream content.
  • Up to three registered devices per household account can download content.
  • Customers can have up to 10 downloads per device.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

ComcastTeds, I don't know that the issue has been resolved. Another technician told me I'm getting the error message because the streaming service is available only to customers who have an active TV box, which I do not. I have only ever used Internet, never TV. But Comcast knew this and still recommended this service to me. I've heard so many different reasons for the 422 error message I just don't know whom to believe. I've lost a lot of faith in Comcast.

Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


BhamViewer wrote:

To those continuing to get the 422 error code, I may have some insight for you. On 26 March I spoke with a Comcast/Xfinity tech support agent who told me the error code means, specifically, that, at least in my case, I am attempting to access service that is NOT available to me because I am not using an Xfinity TV box. Although for some reason the agent couldn't send me the full document in which the eligibility is laid out, he did send me a partial cut-and-paste, which I'll reproduce below in case it's helpful to anyone else.

 

Comcast itself contacted my family to change our Internet-only service to this augmented viewing service. We explained to them we don't watch TV and only use Internet. Their selling point for switching to the more expensive service was that we'd have access to online streaming via the Xfinity website. I clearly asked if there'd be any commercials as our family won't sit through commercials in a setting in which we're already paying for service. The Comcast sales person assured us the programming would be commercial-free, and we switched service. The service worked briefly--but with commercials. And now it may be that we need a TV and additional Xfinity hardware after all to access the service.

 

Moral of the story: Comcast/Xfinity's own representatives may not understand the products they're selling us. Corroborating this, it took months and far more than a dozen technicians to find, finally, a likely reason the 422 error message persists. And though I appreciate that a Comcast representative, ComcastTed, has joined this discussion, I still don't know what his interpretation of the reason for the error message means for my family; perhaps there are multiple reasons for a 422 error message (see seven posts previously, posted on 03-30-2015 11:40 AM, edited on 03-30-2015 11:52 AM).

 

Anyway, below is the official Comcast/Xfinity documentation excerpt--available, I was told, strictly to technicians. The technician who sent it to me told me I'd need to have an active TV box in order for the streaming to work.

 

Xfinity TV Go Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be a digital XFINITY TV customer.
  • Must have a Comcast ID and password.

o    Create Username

o    Don’t Know Username

o    Forgot Your Password

  • In order to stream or download content from a network, the customer must subscribe to that network (e.g., must have Showtime with XFINITY TV to download Showtime content).
  • Paid content (e.g., events) is not available to stream. No money is exchanged through the app.
  • Up to three devices (computers and/or mobile devices) per household account can stream content.
  • Up to three registered devices per household account can download content.
  • Customers can have up to 10 downloads per device.

Apologies for any confusion. Yes, a subscription to XFINITY TV that that includes the network you want to watch and an  XFINITY-registered set-top box. are both required for access to any live video or On Demand content online or via our apps.

 

Some more info here:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/online-tv-through-partner-sites/

 




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


BhamViewer wrote:

ComcastTeds, I don't know that the issue has been resolved. Another technician told me I'm getting the error message because the streaming service is available only to customers who have an active TV box, which I do not. I have only ever used Internet, never TV. But Comcast knew this and still recommended this service to me. I've heard so many different reasons for the 422 error message I just don't know whom to believe. I've lost a lot of faith in Comcast.


I do see an Motorola DCT 2000 cable box listed on your account. Once that box is activated on your account you should have access to content online that you get on your cable box (and if that programming is also available online); Limited Basic, Streampix and HBO.

 

Let me see about getting your cable box activated.

 

Thanks for your patience.

  




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Thanks for that clarification, ComcastTeds. Can you offer any insight into why Comcast would offer an existing customer this service as an upgrade when the customer had clearly explained repeatedly his family has no interest in using a TV or adding any further equipment to their home? And why is the service available only to customers using a boxtop device, when so many of us no longer use TVs, opting instead to access programming on our computers? 

 

Again, thanks for confirming what the other Comcast agent shared.

Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


BhamViewer wrote:

Thanks for that clarification, ComcastTeds. Can you offer any insight into why Comcast would offer an existing customer this service as an upgrade when the customer had clearly explained repeatedly his family has no interest in using a TV or adding any further equipment to their home? And why is the service available only to customers using a boxtop device, when so many of us no longer use TVs, opting instead to access programming on our computers? 

 

Again, thanks for confirming what the other Comcast agent shared.


You don't have to actually use the cable box, it just needs to be connected and activated on the account.

 

Our contracts with our programming partners only allow access to their content online for customers who have a cable box and are paying for that content on TV (which you already are doing). 

 

We should be able to resolve this for you soon. Thanks for your patience. 

 

 

 




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

 Hello  

 

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Streaming works fine with my I-PAD 2, but fails when I try it with my Mac Book Pro... I get  the 422 message every time and on every channel.  I also have a trouble ticket in the system.  I was supposed to get a call from  "advanced tech support"  I have still not received a call..... I do not have a set top box.

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

Hi Videotrans,

 

I am just trying to help - not confuse you. If you click on the link below you will see a screen shot of my computer screen on the "watch online" page.  When I first log on a green check mark appears in the upper right corner - with the message "Your Home Network Has Been Verified".  Do you ever see this message???

This confirms I have a Comcast cable box hooked to my television which authorizes me to watch TV online.

 

If you do not see this message, it could be a mistake to try to add another device (Mac Book Pro). It could result in your not being able watch on your I-PAD 2.  Have you ever heard the term "Let sleeping dogs lie" or do not alert someone to something they don't know about.

 

http://i.imgur.com/PhF431j.jpg

 

 

If anyone else wants to post images go to http://imgur.com and click on upload images (it's free).

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

This post was edited because ComcastTeds posted below and I was confusing a DTA with a Set Top Box. As Ted posted "Cable box" and "set top box" are the same.  Strike throughs show edits like this.

 

Set Top Boxes DTA's are not a magic cure all for streaming problems. 

 

If you have a cable box connected to your TV you will not need a Set Top Box  DTA.

 

You only need a Set Top Box DTA if you do not have a Standard Cable Box hooked to your television.

 

A Set Top Box DTA does nothing to improve streaming to your wireless devices. Unless you are not currently paying for Xfinity TV service.

 

A Set Top Box DTA has a remote control and basically turns your hardwired computer into a TV with a remote control. (look at #4 in this link on how to connect a Set Top Box DTA). 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/connect-media-center-pc/                   

 

I do not need a Set Top Box DTA because I have a Standard Cable Box in my living room connected to my television. (this qualifies me as a home network - allowing me to stream TV to my computer or any wireless device connected to my router). 

 

A Set Top Box DTA allows Comcast to charge customers that DO NOT have a Standard Cable Box for an Xfinity TV package.

 

How do I get a set-top box DTA ?

You can get a Comcast set-top box DTA by purchasing an XFINITY TV package online or by calling them. For more informastion on set top boxes DTA's click the link below.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/all-about-cable-boxes/

 

I think a Set Top Box DTA is free if your are already paying for Xfinity TV service (standard cable box hooked to your TV).

 

Videotrans, do you have a Standard Cable Box hooked to your television? If you do then 100% continue with your "trouble ticket".

 

Boy if I were only a Comcast employee, I could lok at your account and know exactly what services you are paying for, posting could be so much easier.

 

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: Error Message 422

Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


dadgren wrote:

Set Top Boxes are not a magic cure all. 

 

If you have a cable box connected to your TV you will not need a Set Top Box.  

 

You only need a Set Top Box if you do not have a Standard Cable Box hooked to your television.

 

A Set Top Box does nothing to improve streaming to your wireless devices. Unless you are not currently paying for Xfinity TV service.

A Set Top Box has a remote control and basically turns your hardwired computer into a TV with a remote control. (look at #4 in this link on how to connect a Set Top Box) 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/connect-media-center-pc/                   

 

I do not need a Set Top Box because I have a Standard Cable Box in my living room connected to my television. (this qualifies me as a home network - allowing me to stream TV to my computer or any wireless device connected to my router). 

 

A Set Top Box allows Comcast to charge customers that DO NOT have a Standard Cable Box for an Xfinity TV package.

 

How do I get a set-top box?

You can get a Comcast set-top box by purchasing an XFINITY TV package online or by calling them. For more informastion on set top boxes click the link below.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/all-about-cable-boxes/

 

I think a Set Top Box is free if your are already paying for Xfinity TV service (standard cable box hooked to your TV).

 

Videotrans, do you have a Standard Cable Box hooked to your television? If you do then 100% continue with your "trouble ticket".

 

Boy if I were only a Comcast employee, I could lok at your account and know exactly what services you are paying for, posting could be so much easier.

 


"Cable box" and "set top box" are the same.

 

DTA is different -   http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/digital-adapter/

 

Customers need some sort of video device (any of the above or a third-party device like TiVo) on their account in order to have the necessary permissions to be able to access online video content from Comcast.

 

This pre-requisite is not unique to Comcast.   




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

ComcastTeds, in late January I visited my local Xfinity office to return my Comcast modem, since I'd bought my own recently to avoid Comcast's increased fee for the rental service. The office told me they saw a cable box on my account, to which I replied that we didn't have a cable box because we never have used cable TV. The agent gave me his business card, asked me to return home to double check our house and storage, and to email him to confirm we do not have a cable box, an issue he'd "be happy to fix for [us]." I sent that agent an email the very same day to confirm we had no cable box, and when I hadn't received a reply over the next week, sent the same agent multiple emails requesting at least the courtesy of a reply. He replied only once to write he hadn't received any emails from me. I sent him copies of the emails stored in my Gmail sent box, marked successfully delivered. Since then the agent has never replied to any of my emails about the issue.

 

I've also called Comcast about not having a cable box, but no one has ever been able to address this matter. Since you've just mentioned it yourself, are you able to help our family sort this matter out? We'd be very appreciative, as I don't want to be charged in the future for equipment we've never ordered and do not have. If this is the reason I cannot access Xfinity's online viewing, Xfinity should have told me this long ago, and should never have advised my family to switch from a plan we were satisfied with--especially when we asserted we (a) don't want to be subjected to any commercials if we're already paying for Internet access, and (b) would not be purchasing a TV--and therefore wouldn't want any additional equipment (besides our modem--now returned).

 

Thanks for reply, ComcastTeds, and for letting our family know how to proceed.

Official Employee

Re: Error Message 422


BhamViewer wrote:

ComcastTeds, in late January I visited my local Xfinity office to return my Comcast modem, since I'd bought my own recently to avoid Comcast's increased fee for the rental service. The office told me they saw a cable box on my account, to which I replied that we didn't have a cable box because we never have used cable TV. The agent gave me his business card, asked me to return home to double check our house and storage, and to email him to confirm we do not have a cable box, an issue he'd "be happy to fix for [us]." I sent that agent an email the very same day to confirm we had no cable box, and when I hadn't received a reply over the next week, sent the same agent multiple emails requesting at least the courtesy of a reply. He replied only once to write he hadn't received any emails from me. I sent him copies of the emails stored in my Gmail sent box, marked successfully delivered. Since then the agent has never replied to any of my emails about the issue.

 

I've also called Comcast about not having a cable box, but no one has ever been able to address this matter. Since you've just mentioned it yourself, are you able to help our family sort this matter out? We'd be very appreciative, as I don't want to be charged in the future for equipment we've never ordered and do not have. If this is the reason I cannot access Xfinity's online viewing, Xfinity should have told me this long ago, and should never have advised my family to switch from a plan we were satisfied with--especially when we asserted we (a) don't want to be subjected to any commercials if we're already paying for Internet access, and (b) would not be purchasing a TV--and therefore wouldn't want any additional equipment (besides our modem--now returned).

 

Thanks for reply, ComcastTeds, and for letting our family know how to proceed.


Apologies. Someone from our local team is reviewing your account and will be in contact soon. Thanks for the additional information and thanks for your patience.

 




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

I found a fix for the streaming failure.... 422 error.  I my case it was AVAST anti-virus that blocked Comcast's server from streaming the content to my   Mac Book.  I added the server address:  secure.xfinitytv.comcast.net   to the excluded server list in the Web Shield preferences.  Now the streaming works on every channel...  By excluding ther comcast server it allowed the stream to play in my browser, and no longer blocks it.... YAY!

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

GREAT SOLUTION and one I have not heard before, I will remember it. I have been working Error 422 problems for quite a while, because no one else was having much sucess replying to this problem.

 

WHEN YOU ARE CONTACTED BY YOUR LOCAL OFFICE, ASK IF THE CABLE BOX LISTED ON YOUR ACCOUNT ADDED ANY FEES TO YOUR BILL.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Thanks Dadgren for working with everyone on this problem.... Hopefully this will help others including anyone at Comcast.  I don't envy their (Comcast's) position, but if we can all work together we can make everyone happy! A team effort!

Problem Solver

Re: Error Message 422

In the spirit of helping each other. Do you know that as a Comcast customer you can download and install Norton Security Suite 21.6.0.32  for FREE ?

 

This is not a free version of Norton, Comcast pays for it and gets a volume discount.

 

I used Avast for a long time and even purchased a premium version of it.

 

After making the switch I am extremely pleased. As long as I am a Comcast customer Norton is free.

 

This link contains information on doing the initial install of Norton. It is extra important to remove all traces of your current AV program before installing Norton. Most AV products have an Uninstall Tool, it is best to use one.

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

 

Link to PC download of Norton.

 

http://constantguard.comcast.net/norton?cid=NET_33_601

 

Link to MAC download of Norton.

 

http://constantguard.comcast.net/products/protection-for-mac/norton-internet-security-for-mac

 

************************************************************************************************************

If you currently have a different Norton product installed or just want to download the Norton Removal Tool and keep it in your downloads file in case you leave Comcast.

 

Link to Norton Removal Tool. (PC)

 

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?p...

 

Link to Norton Removal Instructions and Tool. (MAC)

 

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080427024142EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?a...

 

 

 

 

New Poster

Re: Error Message 422

I love you and thank you. For some reason I didn't even THINK about adding it to my Avast on my mac. Problem is solved on my end. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Error Message 422

Thank you... I love you too.  I'm glad I could help you out.

 

 It seems strange that in all the contact I had with Comcast tech support they never once asked if I had ant-virus software running on my machine!  I found the fix myself.  In fact, I'm still waiting for an answer from them!