Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

(Error 5)We've run into a problem while streaming (Error 5)

Frequent Visitor

(Error 5)We've run into a problem while streaming (Error 5)

I can say without hyperbole that 60% of the time I try to watch a video on my PC there are issues.  I have called customer service, used the chat and I get a lot of "Our system are down/slow"  I am paying for the ability to watch shows on any device but I have yet been able to go a single week without running into some type of problem.  The latest is when tryign to watch a show I have recoreded on my DVR using my PC.  Every show recorded in the last two weeks give me the following error.

You viseo cannot be played.  We've run into a problem while streaming <show name>. (Error 5)

I can't believe that I am paying for something that I am not getting and am very close to looking at other options.  You should be ashamed at the service a 15+ year user is getting from you.

Service Expert

Re: (Error 5)We've run into a problem while streaming (Error 5)

ronc1221 wrote:

I can say without hyperbole that 60% of the time I try to watch a video on my PC there are issues.  I have called customer service, used the chat and I get a lot of "Our system are down/slow"  I am paying for the ability to watch shows on any device but I have yet been able to go a single week without running into some type of problem.  The latest is when tryign to watch a show I have recoreded on my DVR using my PC.  Every show recorded in the last two weeks give me the following error.

You viseo cannot be played.  We've run into a problem while streaming <show name>. (Error 5)

I can't believe that I am paying for something that I am not getting and am very close to looking at other options.  You should be ashamed at the service a 15+ year user is getting from you.

first.. comcast does not charge to use the cloud DVR so you are not paying for 'it' (the feature). 

Are you accessing the recordings on a computer hooked up by hard wire or wireless?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

1. To OP -- me too. Started happening about a week ago after Comcast 'reset' my cloud DVR when its apparent capacity jumped down from 500 GB to 100 GB (deleting most of my content.) 'Error 5' which sometimes resolves after a retry or two on the same item
  2. I continue to work on the with the helpful CC guys on the Comcast Direct forum on DSLREPORTS.COM. Will post here if it is solved
  3. To Rusty --  basically, what?! We all pay Comcast for a service with a bunch of advertised features. Even though they are not shown as line items on our bills, they are advertised and expected to work. So OP is paying, as are we all. 
Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

first.. comcast does not charge to use the cloud DVR so you are not paying for 'it' (the feature). 

Are you accessing the recordings on a computer hooked up by hard wire or wireless?

Wired.

Part of the X1 platform is the ability to stream your dvr programs from any device.  It is the reason I upgraded.  Yes I am paying for it, as it is part of the package.  If you don't have somehting useful to contribute, please don't reply.  We come here looking for help, not arguments.

New Poster

I know.  I was JUST telling my husband the only time it worked ever was when I was in a hotel room where I didn't NEED to be multitasking.  I wanted the option for recording 9pm shows, then watching on the PC while I clean the kitchen, pack lunches, etc., since we don't do TVs in the kitchen or the kids would be zombies.  IT HAS NEVER worked with that same error.  Just now.  Both Fear the Walking Dead and The Last Ship.  I'll never watch them.  I never have time to sit for 2 hours in my family room.  Poor me.  So sad.  (seriously!)

New Poster

We, too, are having this error message. I tried on my TVGo app on my phone and on the website. I googled, searched the forums, nada. Everything says to log out and back in, un-install and re-install. I have been watching shows on my phone for two weeks or so with no issues. Then tonight, won't work anywhere. I have had nothing but issues with Xfinity since we installed a couple months ago. So many calls to the tech support and/or customer service it makes me not want to even call about this. Would be very interested to learn if anyone finds a fix for this so I don't have to spend another 3 hours on the phone with 6 different Comcast people before I get even a kind of answer.... 

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the exact same problem, it started on the evening of 10/3.  My wife and I had both been watching DVR'd shows from PC and Android throught the day on 10/3, then sometime in the evening it just stopped.  We get "Error 5" from PC and "Errror 8001" on Android.  So it seems like this is not an isolated incident and effecting multiple people.   I literally just signed a new 2 year agreement 10 days ago specfically because they added the cloud dvr feature and we could watch the DVR'd content on PC and Phone/Tablet.  We were getting ready to switch to DirecTV because they offered that functionality.  I called CS and they said I have 30 days to get out of my agreement.  So I"m giving them another week to fix this or I'm cancelling my service.

Android Error:

Xfinity_TV_Android_Error.png

PC Error:

Xfinity_TV_Error_1.png

Regular Visitor

I'm having this issue now as well. It's been going on for about a week. I had the same issue last year, took Comcast support nearly two months to get it resolved. I haven't called them yet, don't have the time. Better believe I'm looking at other providers once my contract is up.

New Poster

I have the same issue on my Windows computers and Android phone.  I have spoken to several Xfinity technicians and they cannot fix the problem. The the channel guide will not open any programming or content, always fails.  

Service Expert

are you using the new web site https://tv.xfinity.com/ ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert
Moved: