Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Does Comcast support 4k content?

New Poster

Does Comcast support 4k content?

Does Comcast support any 4k content yet?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Does Comcast support 4k content?

Fenners wrote:

Not really....read here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/

Problem Solver

At the moment their only offering is the "Ultra HD Sampler" app.

It has been working for me on my 2105 Samsung 3D / UHD television. However; they have not added any new shows in the last few months.

The Rio Olympics 4k sports replays on this app were only viewable for a handfull of us lucky enough to figure out how to get the app to work.

Contributor

Fenners wrote:

Not sure about 4K, but they are in the process of upgrading the 1080i channels to 720p. It's Comcastic!

ComcastTeds wrote: 

In regards to 720p delivery, some of your HD channels have transitioned from 1080i to 720p60. As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60.

Problem Solver

What is happening is a DOWN-GRADE. I am assuming you actually know that.

Regular Contributor

Upgrading from 1080i to 720p? 720p has 921600 pixels on the screen at any given time, while 1080i has 1036800 (1080p has 2073600). How is 921 thousand an upgrade over 1 million+?  Going to 720p is a downgrade.

datsunrobbie wrote:
Not sure about 4K, but they are in the process of upgrading the 1080i channels to 720p. It's Comcastic!

ComcastTeds wrote: 

In regards to 720p delivery, some of your HD channels have transitioned from 1080i to 720p60. As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

For some reading this post, 1080i means "interlace". one half of the the lines are shown on each motion refresh compared to 1080p (or 720p) where all lines are refreshed each time. This would have mattered on the early cheaper brands of 1080i televisions, causing "jutter" on fast paced sports.

At present time most 1080p (or UHD) televisions have much faster motion rates (refreshing screen). This means watching 1080i programs would closer match watching a program on a Blu-Ray player. That means being able to see a larger difference between a 720p signal and 1080i signal on newer televisions.

People with older or cheaper televisions might not notice the change which is what Comcast is hoping for. Although those of us going for televisions with larger screens (reason for UHD 4K) will certainly see the difference, if or when it happens. Easy enough to compare picture seen versus O.T.A. when it happens.

By the way; my cable-box died yesterday and I had the dreaded problem of getting a BAD replacement box. Having to make two trips to get a working cable-box is no fun when you find only 3 stalls filled by personnel out of 9 stalls at the service center. Many people left before their turn came up.

I have to say the personnel helping were good, but cutting back on help isn't helping them keep customers in our area.