Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Data Usage Roku App

New Poster

Data Usage Roku App

It is my understanding that when we use the Xfinity Beta Roku App to watch Live TV, it is not supposed to use our data.  However, after watching Live TV on the Xfinity Roku app for several hours, the xFi app is showing "Very High" usage coming from the Roku MAC address.  We have NOT been watching Netflix or Hulu for several hours.

Please confirm this should NOT use our data plan... It would appear that it is...

Regular Contributor

Re: Data Usage Roku App

Check your actual data usage for your Internet, I stream TV on my computer all the time and my internal network monitor captures the data traffic but it doesn't show on my monthly internet download usage.

New Poster

Can you tell me how you got the Roku box activated ?  I can't get watchable to recognize my box.

New Poster

I'm not sure yet. Since my mom started using the app one month we are over by 300+ gig and the next not. Just got another bill for 465gig over.... I actually paused my mom's ruku for a month and didn't have the overage. I honestly think it's the beta app on her ruku.
Service Expert

@EMSDAL wrote:
I'm not sure yet. Since my mom started using the app one month we are over by 300+ gig and the next not. Just got another bill for 465gig over.... I actually paused my mom's ruku for a month and didn't have the overage. I honestly think it's the beta app on her ruku.

the use of other apps (like watchable) all use the actual internet and the usage counts toward your cap. the data used by the roku Xfinity app is currently limited to your in-home channels only and the data does not count toward the monthly cap. any usage of the roku at all outside of the app is just regular internet.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I am certain I am seeing data usage from the Xfinity Roku app. We just got a Roku TV and I wanted my wife to use the Xfinity Roku app to watch news, etc. and simplify our setup as in that case, we would only need our phones to control everything. Since we started using it we went from a 70% warning (2/3rd the way through billing cycle) to an 80% warning in a matter of a couple days with that being the only change in our viewing habits. I then set a 24 hour period of using only the Xfinity app, no other strreaming services and the usage meter continued to climb. I then got a 90% warning just a few days following the 80% warning. We are not streaming any 4k content because it simply isn't feasible with a 1tb cap and again, using the Xfinity app is the only change in our viewing habits. We haven't hit 90% in over a year.

Service Expert

@cornflakes76 wrote:

I am certain I am seeing data usage from the Xfinity Roku app. We just got a Roku TV and I wanted my wife to use the Xfinity Roku app to watch news, etc. and simplify our setup as in that case, we would only need our phones to control everything. Since we started using it we went from a 70% warning (2/3rd the way through billing cycle) to an 80% warning in a matter of a couple days with that being the only change in our viewing habits. I then set a 24 hour period of using only the Xfinity app, no other strreaming services and the usage meter continued to climb. I then got a 90% warning just a few days following the 80% warning. We are not streaming any 4k content because it simply isn't feasible with a 1tb cap and again, using the Xfinity app is the only change in our viewing habits. We haven't hit 90% in over a year.

the roku beta streaming TV app won't use any of your internet bytes. other customers have found that they found their photo backup service on their phones backing up same photo's over and over causing the overage. did you try turning off your wifi while in the home on your portable smart  devices?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

@cornflakes76 wrote:

If your roku is connected using wifi, verify its using your home wifi and not your public wifi. The "no data use for roku" is onlly valid on your home network.

New Poster

My wireless router logs data use per client, it is not our phones, it was the Roku before and the Roku TV that replaced it. We are talking about tons of data being used to move up 10% in a few days.

New Poster

Thanks but to clarify. I own my modem and router. I only have "home" wifi, I am not participating in the public wifi program as it would be pointless because we live at the end of a private road.

Bronze Problem Solver

@cornflakes76 wrote:

Thanks but to clarify. I own my modem and router. I only have "home" wifi, I am not participating in the public wifi program as it would be pointless because we live at the end of a private road.

After thinking about it, I don't think the roku app will even work on a public wifi even if its your own. I do think something else is going on. If you do a search, it takes about 2Gb of data to stream an hour of HD video, with a 1Tb cap, that would be 500 hours of streaming to reach 1Tb.

You could try playing with the roku bandwidth limiting function: https://www.howtogeek.com/289289/how-to-limit-bandwidth-usage-on-your-roku/

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation