Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVRs - primary vs secondary accounts

New Poster

DVRs - primary vs secondary accounts

Where are the control options for primary vs secondary accounts regarding DVR equipment?

I'm looking to restrict a secondary account to only one DVR device.  I couldn't even find where to turn off DVR control for a secondary account.  Obviously I don't want any/all of my secondary accounts to be able to manage my DVR!  =)

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVRs - primary vs secondary accounts

you cant set parental controls like that.  it does not work per dvr, it works based on content. 

New Poster

I wouldn't call it a parental control, that assumes I care what the actual DVR is doing or what programming is watched on it.  The boxes themselves already come with sufficient parental control.  I'm talking about granularity with login permissions.

Just like how secondary accounts have their own email address and are able to be locked out of account-specific features like billing, account creation, view voicemail, etc..  Not too much to expect the same thing regarding THE CONTROL OF MY TV!  =)

I expect some level of control with how secondary accounts can access/adjust specific DVRs in my house.  For the time being I have disabled remote DVR access entirely, because the alternative is to delete all secondary email accounts that I don't want managing my DVR.

Silver Problem Solver

all they can do is set or cancel recordings.   you have some unruley kids over there or something Smiley Happy

New Poster

I'll contact actual Comcast tech support tomorrow to see if this is possible, if they are working towards this, or if they can work with me on some sort of seperate account access.

I'm trying to be objective here.  After my initial post I spent an hour looking through Comcast's account features.  It's apparent they unknowingly created a small problem with access controls when adding their DVR control features.  For security they need to disable DVR management for secondary login accounts by default.  Then let you specify what DVRs those accounts can access.  It's not rocket science, but it is something they overlooked.  =)

I spent the last few minutes researching solutions and a friend told me about how I can get granular account access control, awesome parental controls, and a mobile management app that actually works.  Also, he mentioned for a few bucks less a month I get 4 tuners, double the recording space, a 30 second skip button, etc. It's called like "Teevo" or something Smiley Wink and it works great with a Comcast-provided digital card.

I really don't mean to troll.  Just kind of bugs me when people say "Oh NO!, You can't do that. Why would you NEED to do that?  It don't work like that, bub.", when in reality it can and does.  As a consumer you rarely don't have the power to find what you are looking for.  =)

In this instance the solution isn't rocket science, but it is something Comcast has overlooked.  And if they aren't willing to work towards that then I need to do myself a favor and take the advice of my friend and google 'Teevo'.  =)

New Poster

Well, a several reasons.

1) I've got other people (who are now out of the house) using secondary accounts for email only.  I could kick them off the ability to login and set up an email redirect, but why do I have to be the bad guy?

2) I let out my guestroom regularly for months at a time and that partition in the house has it's own DVR.  I set up a "guest" secondary account so that they could manage their own DVR settings by signing into Comcast.  I don't want to have to worry about that account's password getting into the wrong hands and go through the hassle of having some kid on the Internet delete my saved shows.  When they aren't using the DVR I also want to be able to record some extra sports programs that conflicts with what the wife has recording, etc.

3) Privacy.  This is the same reason while I'll never have Any-Room DVR.  The guestroom can act as a party place I don't want to have to worry about kids watching R rated stuff and having to explain myself to their parents.

Official Employee

drdvr,

I am sorry but as of now, this feature does not exist.

Being able to delete already saved shows from the DVR Manager is a new feature so there was really no need for the feature your requesting to be included in the past.

However, now that this feature has been released, you have made many good points on why this feature is needed and should be implemented.

Our product team is constantly working on improving the site to make the best experience possible. I will forward this along to them to take under consideration for a future release.

Thanks for your feedback,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation