Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR recordings often clip the ends of programs

Contributor

DVR recordings often clip the ends of programs

I've been noticing, more and more often, that my programmed recordings tend to stop just short of the ends of shows. Usually it just cuts the credits short, but sometimes it cuts off the last words of a speaker. Annoying, to say the least. (Some programming, especially on the Science Channel, runs content right up to the last second, and doesn't have the padding of a couple of minutes of ads at the end of the hour.)

(This is not a case of one show ending so that the DVR can switch to record another show.)

Maybe Comcast cannot precisely predict the end of shows being transmitted by various stations, but could not the system be set up to run an extra minute beyond the scheduled end time, to allow for timing variation?  Or at least offer this as a choise of default setting, if we want it? 

Or is it already available, and I just haven't seen it?

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: DVR recordings often clip the ends of programs

I am having the same problem. Until Comcast gets their act together I just set the time to end the recording 1 minute later.

Official Employee

Hi all,

This feature already exists.

To do it online, go here and click the program you want to extend. Then you will see the "End Recording" option appear.

To do it through your TV, go to this site for further instructions:

http://blog.comcast.com/2009/05/comcast-dvr-tip-dont-miss-the-ending-of-your-show.html

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

Thanks, I had not intially noticed this.  But it only partially answers the problem. This requires us to mark every single program we record, because we're not going to know in advance which ones will be cut off. 

Could you not have a global option for this?  "Extend ALL recordings by x minutes," unless there is a conflict with a new recording following?

Official Employee

starrigger wrote:

Thanks, I had not intially noticed this.  But it only partially answers the problem. This requires us to mark every single program we record, because we're not going to know in advance which ones will be cut off. 

Could you not have a global option for this?  "Extend ALL recordings by x minutes," unless there is a conflict with a new recording following?

If you set up a series recording through your TV, you can do this.

For example, lets say you want to record all new episodes of Jeopardy. If you set up a series recording for it, you can extend it to where all episodes record 2 minutes longer.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

Yes, and that's better than having to do every episode, to be sure. But it's not global. I often record movies or one-offs of something. The onus is still on me to remember to do this each time, to make up for a calibration problem in the system. This is supposed to be what computers are good for. Smiley Happy

Also, when I do it by hand, I don't seem to have a way to program the exception: If another recording is about to begin and needs that tuner, disregard the extra length request.

The system now is pretty good. I think adding this option would make it better.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation