Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR'ed shows on the XfinityTV website skip

Frequent Visitor

DVR'ed shows on the XfinityTV website skip

When watching shows live on my computer on the XfinityTV website, everything's good. But when I watch shows that I have recorded from my DVR on the website, the shows skip at various points throughout. If you rewind it back, it skips in the same exact place every time so it's not a one-time glitch. It's not just my computer, either, because it happens on my other devices as well. It's not a wifi issue or buffering as all of that is working fine when the skipping occurs. Also, the skipping does not happen when I watch the shows right off the DVR connected to my TV. So that leads me to believe it is a glitch in the XfinityTV website that is causing the skipping. I called Comcast and told them about it, but I also wanted to put it up here just to make sure the tech team at Comcast definitely sees this and takes care of the glitch in the website. Thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: DVR'ed shows on the XfinityTV website skip

I would suggest you also supply feedback through the XTV web portal and the Xfinity TV app by clicking the "Feedback" link in both places.  Supply the name of the show, when recorded, channel and a description of the problem. I would do that for each program you have a problem with.  It sounds like an issue happening with the server/hard drive at the Cloud DVR site.  Do you notice it for all recordings or just some?

I had a similar problem about a month ago (see video), but it wasn't on all recordings, just a few, mostly on 2 networks (ABC and FOX). The physical DVR recording played back fine.

SoCalFresh wrote:

When watching shows live on my computer on the XfinityTV website, everything's good. But when I watch shows that I have recorded from my DVR on the website, the shows skip at various points throughout. If you rewind it back, it skips in the same exact place every time so it's not a one-time glitch. It's not just my computer, either, because it happens on my other devices as well. It's not a wifi issue or buffering as all of that is working fine when the skipping occurs. Also, the skipping does not happen when I watch the shows right off the DVR connected to my TV. So that leads me to believe it is a glitch in the XfinityTV website that is causing the skipping. I called Comcast and told them about it, but I also wanted to put it up here just to make sure the tech team at Comcast definitely sees this and takes care of the glitch in the website. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Awesome...thanks...I did go to the feeback place and submit.

It started out only happening on certain shows or channels, but it's now gone full-blown every channel and every recording so hopefully they can take care of it. Did they fix yours or what happened when you told them about it when it was happening to you?

Problem Solver

It went away the next time I recorded from those stations. Not sure if my feedback to Comcast helped with the problem. I did notice on a separate thread that someone was having slightly similar issues with Cloud DVR recordings.

Admin1

Hi SoCalFresh -- Is this still an ongoing issue for you? 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Yes...it's still happening. Any help would be much appreciated!

Admin1

Since you have X1, I'm going to ask our X1 team if they have a solution for this problem. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Cool thanks. Also, I returned your call from today and left a message just so you know.

Admin1

Were you able to get in contact with the technical support agent who was looking into this? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

I have the same situation with my X1 recordings except the brief pauses do not recur at the same places. It also appears that the audio is not similarly affected.  Is this resolved and if so how?  Thanks

Contributor

I'm having this same issue. Has been happening since I switched to X1 awhile back, but has recently gotten to the point where I can't watch shows via the web app without significant stuttering and skips. I would love to know the fix if any as well?

Frequent Visitor

Was there any solution to this issue?

Regular Contributor

Hello JakeBoston,

I apologize for the delay response. I can provide some troubleshooting steps to determine what is causing the DVR recording issue. May I ask if you experiencing the issue on all the cable boxes or just one cable box? 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Hello SteveAb100,

I apologize for the delay response. I can provide some troubleshooting steps to determine what is causing the DVR recording issue. May I ask if you experiencing the issue on all the cable boxes or just one cable box? 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I only have one box with a DVR so it is just the one.

Regular Contributor

Hello SteveAb100,

We were able to perform some basic troubleshoot steps and it has been determined that a Tier III representative will be in contact with you regarding your service issue. If you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from them.  Regards,  Steve

Contributor

Hi Kim,

It is not happening on my cable box. It is only on the CloudDVR recordings when viewing via the web broswer at xtv.comcast.net & on the XfinityTV app. The skipping/stuttering happens at the same times in the program when in replay. It's as if the source file is corrupted. I have tried multiple devices and browsers and all experience the same issue.

Contributor

Just to be clear, it is happening to me only when I view saved recordings on my PC at https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings which Is what I understood the original post to indicate. The recordings view fine on the TV connected to the box. My answer to the cable box question from Kim was only indicating that I have just one cable DVR box.  Sorry if my response was not clear.

Regular Contributor

Hello JakeBoston,

We were able to perform some basic troubleshoot steps and it has been determined that a Tier III representative will be in contact with you regarding your service issue. If you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

No, I was never contacted by any technical support agent. It'd be appreciated if you could set that up please. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Good Morning Socalfresh,

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

The issue has been escalated a couple of weeks ago, which I was told the same thing, that someone would contact me within 24-72 hours. Never received a call and the issue is worse to the point of not being able to use the feature. I really would just like some sort of resolution to this please.

ComcastKimberly wrote:

Hello JakeBoston,

Admin1

SoCalFresh -- I'll see if I can get you in touch with the agent who worked this issue. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Admin1

JakeBoston & SteveAb100 -- I'll open tickets for the two of you as well. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Zach,  That would be appreciated since this situation is getting more frustrating with each passing day.  Steve

Frequent Visitor

Could you for me as well?

Admin1

Jknouse16 -- Yes I can and will do so. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Hello Tier III.  Is anybody home?

Problem Solver

SteveAb100 wrote:

Hello Tier III.  Is anybody home?

Contributor

HATO,

To be clear this is a brief pausing of the video (not the audio) of up to 1 second and it happens in different places each time.  This is happening on both my desktop PC and my laptop which are both ethernet connected to my network, my Wifi is not involved. Finally, I do not think the cloud is involved either since these are stored on my local DVR.  It does not happen with any other streaming on my PC and it does not happen watching the recordings directly on my DVR connected TV.

Steve 

Problem Solver

Now I'm confused. What do you mean by "I do not think the cloud is involved either since these are stored on my local DVR"? If you are watching your DVR recordings on your laptop or desktop through the XTV portal, then you are streaming those recordings from the Cloud.  Those recordings are not coming from your DVR, but rather a server somewhere in Comcastland.

SteveAb100 wrote:

HATO,

To be clear this is a brief pausing of the video (not the audio) of up to 1 second and it happens in different places each time.  This is happening on both my desktop PC and my laptop which are both ethernet connected to my network, my Wifi is not involved. Finally, I do not think the cloud is involved either since these are stored on my local DVR.  It does not happen with any other streaming on my PC and it does not happen watching the recordings directly on my DVR connected TV.

Steve 

Contributor

Now we're both confused or at least my ignorance is showing through.  When I got the X1 installed I asked about the cloud to get more storage and was told not yet in my area.  Additionally I was told that in the event my box became outdated or failed I would lose my recordings which told me they were on my box.  All that aside, I'm not sure how this impacts my problem but it is good to know that the content is in multiple locations.

Problem Solver

SteveAb100 wrote:

Now we're both confused or at least my ignorance is showing through.  When I got the X1 installed I asked about the cloud to get more storage and was told not yet in my area.  Additionally I was told that in the event my box became outdated or failed I would lose my recordings which told me they were on my box.  All that aside, I'm not sure how this impacts my problem but it is good to know that the content is in multiple locations.

Alright, so let's clarify some things. If you say you are seeing and watching your DVR recordings on https://xtv.comcast.net/recordings then you have Cloud DVR. The Cloud though is not extra storage, just a mirror of what is on your physical DVR.  Which brings me to why I asked if you see the pausing of video if you watch from a PC outside your home (work, friends house, etc). If the pausing continues outside your home, then you can safely say the Cloud recording is most likely corrupt.  Do you have a smartphone or tablet you can try the Xfinity TV app on as well?

I had some corrupted Cloud recordings previously where the playback would skip and pixelate in the same place regardless of what PC, laptop, or smartphone/tablet I watched it on. Yours sounds like it pauses in random spots. I only get random pauses on my one older laptop that doesn't have a good display adapter. All my other PCs and laptops have better display adapters, and don't give me random pauses. Could that be a reason why you are getting the random pauses?

Contributor

I appreciate your patience in educating me on this gap in my X1 knowledge. I do have an iPad and I will go to a public hotspot and check. And just to be sure I understand, it sounds like the only time I am watching from my own DVR is on my connected TV. I now understand the point of your questions entirely. 

Interestingly, I just ordered a new graphics card for my PC a few days ago due to repeated critical hardware errors I have been experiencing for years but which while annoying have always recovered quickly so I lived with it.  This doesn't explain my laptop but that device is nearly as old as my PC so maybe the issue is the same. 

I am sorry I didn't think to bring any of this graphic card stuff up before but it wasn't until you asked that it seemed relevant .  The card is due late this week so I will report back on that and the remote viewing at that time.  Thanks again for all your effort in helping narrow this down. 

Problem Solver

Just connect your iPad to your wifi network and download the Xfinity TV app if you haven't already, and stream one of your recordings. If it streams without pauses, you could say your graphics cards might be at fault for your poor performance on your PC and laptop. Like I said, I have one old laptop, a Dell, that also has pauses when I stream from that, but my newer Samsung laptop streams flawlessly.

Contributor

It looks like you may have called this one right on. So far the iPad is not showing any of the trouble that the PC and laptop have.  Now the wait to see if the card upgrade seals the deal.  Thanks so much for your patience and insight.  Steve

Problem Solver

SteveAb100 wrote:

It looks like you may have called this one right on. So far the iPad is not showing any of the trouble that the PC and laptop have.  Now the wait to see if the card upgrade seals the deal.  Thanks so much for your patience and insight.  Steve

Cool deal.  And just to prove to yourself that when watching recordings on the XTV portal you are watching from the Cloud, unplug your physical DVR and stream a recording on your PC. You will see that it will play because it is not coming from your physical DVR.

Frequent Visitor

thank you very much!

Contributor

It isn't because I didn't believe you but the powered off DVR portal viewing certainly did take away any lingering doubt I may have had.  Thanks again and now I eagerly await the new graphic card.

Contributor

My issue is exactly what you described as to be yours. That regardless of what device or network I am using the programs skips and pauses at the same points. Did you ever get a fix to this?

Contributor

Jake,  I assume you are not asking me about my status.  My freezes are happening in different places and according to HowAboutThisOne back on 5-03 he indicated that freezing in the same places suggests a Comcast issue.  I am hoping my issue is resolved with an updated graphics card but that does apply to your problem.  Good luck. Steve

Admin1

SteveAb100 -- Keep us posted on if getting a new card helps resolve your issue. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Admin1

JakeBoston -- A support agent was able to speak with you yesterday. You had advised him that you're no longer seeing this skip problem. Is that not the case? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

It happened on 3 new shows recoreded last night 5-4-16

Contributor

Well I'm back.  New graphics card but regrettably the pauses are still with me. 

Problem Solver

Sorry to hear that.  Does your iPad still stream without pauses, while your desktop still pauses? What browser are you using? Have you tried any different browsers? 

SteveAb100 wrote:

Well I'm back.  New graphics card but regrettably the pauses are still with me. 

Contributor

I was sidetracked chasing the mystery of this only happening on recorded programs.  Well I finally saw it happen a couple of times with live TV over the web as well.  That's the challenge of intermittent issues like this.  I will check again on the iPad tonight but I have not seen it happen there yet.  I have also been monitoring the task manager CPU usage by process while viewing to see if some process is hogging processor time during pauses and then eliminating the highest users.  It seemed that disabling "Speech Runtime Executable" ( I assume this is Cortana related) may have reduced the pauses but more on that after I work with it some more.  I have seen the problem with all the browsers I have;  Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.  I will follow up on my progress and of course welcome your ideas.

Thanks again.  

Contributor

I put in more time watching on the iPad and no stuttering occurred and despite shutting down numerous processes on my desktop I still have the issue there.  Given this I would suspect that my PC and laptop must have something in their setups causing this except for the fact that I do not see the problem on my desktop with other streaming sources such as Netflix and Youtube. I'm not sure where to go from here and I know I have taken a lot of your time with my issue.  I appreciate your help and unless something jumps out at you I want to thank you for all the guidance you have provided. Steve 

Problem Solver

Sorry, but I'm stumped. Being that the iPad plays without pausing, says to me that the issue lies within the computers. Even though Netflix and Youtube play fine just might indicate the programming and interface for the XTV portal might be subpar, requiring a higher bit of processing / rendering power. Out of curiosity, what are the specs for your PC (processor, ram, etc). Also what type of graphics card did you purchase?