Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR Manager without DVR service?

Frequent Visitor

DVR Manager without DVR service?

When I downloaded the mobile app it skipped setup and immediately found my "upstairs" and "downstairs" boxes, which were set up by and never worked with the early comcast tv remote app which I deleted.

This new version will not change channels on that upstairs Motorola DCH3200 either (haven't checked downstairs). I was told by xfinity support to delete the boxes in DVR manager and start over. But I don't have and don't want to pay for DVR service. So how do I get DVR manager to work without activating service and payments? Hmmm?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR Manager without DVR service?

well its called dvr manager, which lets you manage your dvr.  What else are you going to do with it if you dont have a dvr? 

What are you expecting here?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the non answer. The question remains: how do I delete my set top boxes and force xFinity TV app to go through a full setup? If not dvr manager, then what?
Silver Problem Solver

Thanks for the non question.  Dvr manager is for a dvr if you dont have a dvr I dont see what you are trying to do.  i asked because maybe what you want cannot be done or there is a work around, and since it seems no one else wants to respond to your post maybe you would like some help.  

When dvr manager recogizes your cable boxes they are set up to use the service.   you do not have a dvr so you cannot take advantage of the service.  the only thing you can do is change a channel with a mobile device which is useless. 

Frequent Visitor

Actually. Not useless. It lets you scan through movie channels, set up favorites, and will actually tell you what's coming up next. If the app could actually change channels I could give back the remote which they charge me money to rent. Unfortunately, the app only works if I want to pay for dvr service. Deleting it now.
Silver Problem Solver

Yes the app does do that but you cant translate that back to your tv without the dvr box.  You can change channels without a dvr though I can with my moto digital only box.    you also do not need a dvr to watch the shows on your mobile device.

When you talk dvr manager that means the ability to manage your dvr with the app, like setting recordings, deleting recordings, seeing whats on your dvr, whats next to record.  That is just a portion of the app,  the app lets you change the channel and watch tv and on demand shows.   you need to make a distinction between the two parts. 

Frequent Visitor

Aha! The dvr manager I refer to is the portion that can only be accessed from a computer. This all started when I went to a chat with a Comcast rep ( Alyssa? ) who suggested I could wipe the boxes and start fresh from dvr manager. I told her I did not have dvr. She said it didn't matter. Apparently it does because I'm unable to get anywhere online without setting up dvr service. Apparently she was incorrect.
Silver Problem Solver

You cannot remove the boxes they are recognized by the website.  You can start the process over again by going here though.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/set-dvr-recordings-from-your-computer/

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation