Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Controlling DVR from computer

Contributor

Controlling DVR from computer

My DVR was about 75% full, and I had to go out of town suddenly. From my computer, I was able to go in and cancel a bunch of the auto-record stuff, both because I didn't want my DVR to run out of room, and also because I knew I wouldn't have time to catch up on that much stuff after I got back. However, there are a couple of major discrepancies between what you see on your DVR, and what you see online. For one thing, even when I was home and looking right at my DVR folder, it would show about 75%, but online it would show 100% If I'm away, how am I supposed to tell when it is actually nearing 100%, when the variance of the reflected numbers is that significant? And for another, it only shows stuff recorded in the last week. Can I really not access any of the rest of the stuff? The whole time I'm gone? Really? That's seriously lame. Please instruct me if there is a way. 

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Controlling DVR from computer

Comcast has done us in. The latest version of the web interface has been refocused on watching TV on the internet.  They have added cloud recording which is seperate from your home DVR.  The cloud storage is only about a tenth the size of the DVR harddrive. You can no longer see on the internet what is recorded on your DVR. You cannot manage your DVR with the new version. In addition you cannot see any local (non-cable channels} so you cannot record them.

There are many other features missing from the "new and improved" version. The guide only displays 2 hours at a time. The icon indicating that a show is NEW has been removed. You cannot limit the channels to your favorites, which means scrolling through hundreds of channels. You cannot add extra time to a recording in case you anticipate it might run overtime. This list goes on.

The same problems have been propagated to the ipad and android APPs as well.  Comcast has promised that these issues will be fixed soon, but it has been a month now.  I fear we will just have to live with broken tools.

Problem Solver

Kaniac wrote:

My DVR was about 75% full, and I had to go out of town suddenly. From my computer, I was able to go in and cancel a bunch of the auto-record stuff, both because I didn't want my DVR to run out of room, and also because I knew I wouldn't have time to catch up on that much stuff after I got back. However, there are a couple of major discrepancies between what you see on your DVR, and what you see online. For one thing, even when I was home and looking right at my DVR folder, it would show about 75%, but online it would show 100% If I'm away, how am I supposed to tell when it is actually nearing 100%, when the variance of the reflected numbers is that significant? And for another, it only shows stuff recorded in the last week. Can I really not access any of the rest of the stuff? The whole time I'm gone? Really? That's seriously lame. Please instruct me if there is a way. 

Thank you.

Comcast recently changed the recording capacity of the Cloud DVR. Previously it was suppose to be a mirror of the physical DVR, then they got cheap, and changed it to allow only 60 hours of recordings (regardless of HD or SD quality). Your physical DVR can record approximately 500 gig of recordings. I believe that can be around 60 hours of HD programming, or around 300 hours of SD recordings. That is why your Cloud DVR can be 100% full, while your physical DVR might be much less.

Also, previously, the old TV Go web site's DVR Manager was a view into your physical DVR. It would show the actual recordings and recording size for the physical DVR.  The new Xfinity TV portal only shows the view of the Cloud DVR. You can actually have recordings on your physical DVR that will not show up on the Xfinity TV portal. The Xfinity TV Remote app (for smartphones and tablets) shows the view into your physical DVR, basically taking the place of the old TV Go website.

Regular Visitor

I see that you had the same problem I am having. However, that was 4 months ago. Obviously this issue has not been corrected. This affects the very process I got Xfinity for, watching programs offline on my iPad. If there is any new information about this I would be very curious to find out the fix. I have been online with technicians for too long now.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation