Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Computer as remote not working

Frequent Visitor

Computer as remote not working

I can no longer use my desktop as a remote -- anyone else??

Found it very useful for the past 5 years or so...

Also -- TV Remote app updated and now not functioning -- page for loading device is empty.

Grrrrrr

Service Expert

Re: Computer as remote not working

Bumkitty wrote:

I can no longer use my desktop as a remote -- anyone else??

Found it very useful for the past 5 years or so...

Also -- TV Remote app updated and now not fundtioning -- page for loading device is empty.

Grrrrrr

Never used my desktop as a remote.

I just logged in to the new version of the TV Remote and it is functioning correctly.  Did you log in with your primary comcast.net userid/password?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Did you log in with your primary comcast.net userid/password?

Yes -- would not have seen the TV listings otherwise or been able to access "Settings"

Using iOSX 10 + updated version of Xfinity TVRemote (3.0.0.117) 

Under "Settings" (in TV Remote app) states "No Devices" -- when I hit "No Devices" (in an attempt to enter a device), the next page is totally blank -- absolutely no text so way to enter anything.

Frequent Visitor

Dang!  I just figured it out -- must have been a firmware update on the cable box -- I just remembered that the other day everything shut down all by itself...

Unplugged TV/cable box and....it worked for a while -- see my last comment

Regular Visitor

that didn't work for me  Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

I was told by Comcast/Xfinity support that this function had been removed and was no longer available. Now when I sign in (AND when after several minutes the website comes up) it assumes I want to watch TV on a named device, (I.e. it will lot let me see listings or anything else until I name the device I'm using). In addition thenew format with black background and large print is horrible to use.

Service Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I take it all back -- remote via computer worked for about 24 hours after my initial post and then poof, it went away only to be replaced by "The New Way to Watch" --which I absolutely hate!  All I want are listings which now load ridiculously slow.

I listen to the TV in the adjacent room.  The Xfinity remote device does not function from the angle I sit. It was great being able to work at my desktop, see a full screen of TV channel listings, and then use the remote feature on the webpage to pick & choose a channel on the TV.  Now I am forced to pick & choose a TV channel for my computer, not the TV.  

The Remote App is an option, of course, but it is yet another device and VERY buggy. 

Why must you mess with things Comcast???!!!!

New Poster

Want to add my voice to the list. I cannot figure out how to change channels on the TV ("Watch on TV") from the computer anymore. This was a great feature, and seems pretty benign, and I would love to know why it can't continue to exist.

Frequent Visitor

This new "way to watch" totally AWFUL, I DISPISE it!  I too loved the old PC guide, it was easy to find anything & watch on PC and/or select room to change...like a remote.

Only Comcast could take something that works well & make a total useless mess for their customers!

NO use to complain or feedack, they NEVER listen to customers...just eat it or leave.

Frequent Visitor

@bjack56 -- couldn't agree with you more:  pages load ridiculously slow; filters are awful; have to know where to find something before you find it!  

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filter]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [quoting a post that circumvented the language filter]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Official Employee

Tom98072 wrote:

They (Comcast) really doen't read these thing, do they!  Every messege says the old feature for changing the channel doesn't work any more, and they declare the problem solved!  Great!  

I was fine with the original TV guide page that allowed you to select your favorites and change the channel from your PC, but Comcast tossed it out and forced everyone to go to the new version, which pretty much s**ks.  

Good work Comcast!  How clueless can you be?

Yes, we do read the forums and the feedback helps our technical teams prioritize their roadmap. Thank you all for your passionate input!

I've updated the OP message to mark it unsolved.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks ComcastDan!  

As you can see, I originally thought the problem was solved, but there was no way to go back to "unsolve" it once I realized that the feature was temporarily fixed, then eliminated.  I appreciate your input.

Now, back to the computer as a remote feature (not to mention the slow loading)....

Official Employee

Bumkitty wrote:

Thanks ComcastDan!  

As you can see, I originally thought the problem was solved, but there was no way to go back to "unsolve" it once I realized that the feature was temporarily fixed, then eliminated.  I appreciate your input.

Now, back to the computer as a remote feature (not to mention the slow loading)....

Duly noted. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.