Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Choppy Xfinity TV Go Playback

New Poster

Choppy Xfinity TV Go Playback

I just signed up for a package including Xfinity TV Go. This is my first day using the service. I'm trying to watch the series "True Detective." (http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/True-Detective/7513372666453395112/116268099783/True-Detective-02...

Playback is very choppy, including repeated lags, speed-ups, freezes, and so forth.

I have allowed adequate time to buffer. I am able to stream other TV (Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc.) to my computer (Dell XPS 15, i5 processor) without any problems.

I am currently operating Chrome. I have all the latest plugins and my Windows computer just installed updates today.

I am on wifi (from Comcast, advertised as Blast speed), and I have 5 bars of signal strength (excellent).

My CPU usage number is around 2%-3%, so I don't expect that I am using too many resources on my computer.

I am watching the video in its window, not fullscreen.

I have seen other users complain of the same issue but have so far seen no satisfactory resolution that would help in my case.

Help would be appreciated. It's hard to see the point in purchasing this new service if I have to keep rewinding the show to catch words that got skipped or sped over, and it's very difficult to appreciate the mood of the show with these constant playback problems.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Choppy Xfinity TV Go Playback

We're having the same lag issues. They won't respond to my post either.

Frequent Visitor

Don't expect a response.  I've been trying to find a solution for months.  Comcast customer support is absolutely f'n pathetic and about to chase this customer to Fios.

Regular Visitor

Having the same problem. 

Other streaming services working perfectly.

Only the xfinity streams are almost unwatchable. 

Regular Visitor

Its apparantly a problem with some comcast server(s).

For example i traced the stream with problems (all Da vinci demons episodes) to the following server: 

odol-atswec-bos-13.woburn.ma.boston.comcast.net. Here i get an average of about 200 kb/sec download speed. Way to low for decent high quality stream.

If a take another stream. eg. Black Sails i get a connection to odol-atsec-bos-09.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net where i get a reasonable 3 mb/sec download speed, which is adequate for high quality streams.

So it looks like the datacenter is having serious bandwidth issues in Woburn. 

Regular Visitor

I'm getting very choppy video audio on Xfinity TV app in my home. Speed is fine. What is wrong.
New Poster

To reafirm- as a new customer this flicker freeze issue has not been resolved.

This does not occur with every show I stream.

When it does happen, I cannot watch full screen or streaming video freezes, yet the audio continues, and the flicker is annoying enough that these streaming videos are difficult/annoying to watch.

I suggest contacting the networks who provide these shows and prompt them to pressure Comcast to address this problem.