Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,637,202

members

10

online now

1,815,014

discussions

Back to Top

Cannot play anything from iphone or ipad xfinity TV app

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 32
7,636 Views

Hi,

 

I was able to play a tv series or movie from "play now" in my ipad xfinity app.  All of a sudden since last night, it no longer works.  When I click "play", it will says video is resuming now but then just black screen and the timebar is 0:00:00 to 0:00:00.  I download the same app to my iphone today and still same result.

 

Please advise.

 

thanks.

31 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 32
7,632 Views

blackladyJR wrote:

Hi,

 

I was able to play a tv series or movie from "play now" in my ipad xfinity app.  All of a sudden since last night, it no longer works.  When I click "play", it will says video is resuming now but then just black screen and the timebar is 0:00:00 to 0:00:00.  I download the same app to my iphone today and still same result.

 

Please advise.

 

thanks.


Go to Settings > History and then press the "Clear all History" button. Now try watching the video again and let me know if it works.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 32
7,629 Views

Same, does not work.  I tried movie "just go with it" from Starz.  It showed the Starz logo clip for 10 seconds or so while it's counting down "your movie will resume in 10 seconds...etc".  After that, just black screen with the top left "done", middle" On Now: Just go with it", bottom 0:00:00 to 0:00:00. 

 

Tried other movies, same.

 

Iphone or IPad or IPAd2 all same result.

 

for iphone4 is worse, as i try to scroll the movie list, the app just close and jump back to the phone home screen when I scroll the movie list.

 

Please advise.

 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 32
7,618 Views

blackladyJR wrote:

Same, does not work.  I tried movie "just go with it" from Starz.  It showed the Starz logo clip for 10 seconds or so while it's counting down "your movie will resume in 10 seconds...etc".  After that, just black screen with the top left "done", middle" On Now: Just go with it", bottom 0:00:00 to 0:00:00. 

 

Tried other movies, same.

 

Iphone or IPad or IPAd2 all same result.

 

for iphone4 is worse, as i try to scroll the movie list, the app just close and jump back to the phone home screen when I scroll the movie list.

 

Please advise.

 


I tested Just Go With It and found no issues

 

When trying all of your devices, did you do it all on the same wireless network?

 

Do you have the most update version of the app installed on your iPad?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 5 of 32
7,614 Views

hi Joe,

 

Yes, it is latest as I just downloaded it few days ago on ipad2.  I was able to play the movie yesterday and then it doesn't work at night.  I then download the app to my other ipad1 last night and same result not working.

 

I also just downloaded the app to my iphone4 today just to test it so it is latest and same result. 

 

It is for any movie or TV series with same result.

 

And they are not on the same wireless network.  I tested with different wireless network as well.

 

So 3 different devices and 2 different wireless networks, all same result didn't work.

 

 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 32
7,591 Views

click on the tv tab top of this page, then on the bottom right of the page you will see a wheel.  click there.  on the next page you will see a box called manage my devices.  you can only have three devices enabled.  i would delete all of them and then try to enable them again.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 7 of 32
7,585 Views

Hm, I only have 3 devices (ipad1, ipad2, iphone4).  I went to the manage my device page and also saw only 3 devices there as well.

 

Still doesn't work.  Click on a movie, it will show the "it's the HBO" for 6 seconds like normal, once the countdown seconds finish and says video resume now, then i am on a black screen, the only thing i can do is to click "Done" to get out, or click "i" for info. click the triangle "play" button did nothing.

 

 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 32
7,584 Views

blackladyJR wrote:

hi Joe,

 

Yes, it is latest as I just downloaded it few days ago on ipad2.  I was able to play the movie yesterday and then it doesn't work at night.  I then download the app to my other ipad1 last night and same result not working.

 

I also just downloaded the app to my iphone4 today just to test it so it is latest and same result. 

 

It is for any movie or TV series with same result.

 

And they are not on the same wireless network.  I tested with different wireless network as well.

 

So 3 different devices and 2 different wireless networks, all same result didn't work.

 

 


Try going here and remove all your available devices from your account and then try watching a video again.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 9 of 32
7,553 Views

Hi Joe,

 

I followed your link and removed all.  And still does not work.  Sometimes it is just black screen, sometimes it will say "Sorry, we've experienced some difficulty playing your video." message instead.

 

Same thing on all 3 devices. 

 

I am new subscriber into comcast (first month), initially, the app didn't recognize any of my TVs and playing video is fine.  Ever since few days ago when all of a sudden, the app can recognize my DVR and TVs, then all the movies don't work since.  I haven't touched anything regarding those TV control at all since they were auto-discovered in my app. 

 

Please advise.

 

 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 32
7,535 Views

its prob something on comcast end, you watch it will just start to work one day.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 11 of 32
7,528 Views

blackladyJR wrote:

Hi Joe,

 

I followed your link and removed all.  And still does not work.  Sometimes it is just black screen, sometimes it will say "Sorry, we've experienced some difficulty playing your video." message instead.

 

Same thing on all 3 devices. 

 

I am new subscriber into comcast (first month), initially, the app didn't recognize any of my TVs and playing video is fine.  Ever since few days ago when all of a sudden, the app can recognize my DVR and TVs, then all the movies don't work since.  I haven't touched anything regarding those TV control at all since they were auto-discovered in my app. 

 

Please advise.

 

 


What are the two different networks that you tried? A home and work wireless network? Xfinity public WiFi? Starbucks? etc.

 

Have you recently installed any other apps that may have altered your network settings?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 32
7,329 Views
I have the same issue. Content never plays in the app (iPhone or iPad), never has for me. I've uninstalled, reinstalled. Cleared cache. Hit up then remote help page, removed all devices and it still never plays. Length counter never goes above 0:00:00. Tried on multiple networks (home, work, free hotspots). Web works fine, cable box itself is fine. Other streaming apps are fine - netflix, NBC, hulu. Any ideas?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 13 of 32
7,281 Views

slottedpig wrote:
I have the same issue. Content never plays in the app (iPhone or iPad), never has for me. I've uninstalled, reinstalled. Cleared cache. Hit up then remote help page, removed all devices and it still never plays. Length counter never goes above 0:00:00. Tried on multiple networks (home, work, free hotspots). Web works fine, cable box itself is fine. Other streaming apps are fine - netflix, NBC, hulu. Any ideas?

Have you tried going to Settings > History and pressed the "Clear all History" button as mentioned above?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 14 of 32
7,279 Views

Yes, I've tried that. Add'l unrestricted accounts.  Uninstalled, re-installed.  Cleared cache, removed devices from the remote help site. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 15 of 32
7,276 Views

slottedpig wrote:

Yes, I've tried that. Add'l unrestricted accounts.  Uninstalled, re-installed.  Cleared cache, removed devices from the remote help site. 


Try going here and removing all of your available devices:

 

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh

 

Once you do that, please try watching a video again.

 

Let me know the results.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 32
7,274 Views
Already did there, where i said "removed devices from the remote help site."

ComcastJoe wrote:

slottedpig wrote:

Yes, I've tried that. Add'l unrestricted accounts.  Uninstalled, re-installed.  Cleared cache, removed devices from the remote help site. 


Try going here and removing all of your available devices:

 

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh

 

Once you do that, please try watching a video again.

 

Let me know the results.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe


 

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 17 of 32
7,220 Views
I have had the same problem as many others on this site. My problem started while I was at the gym. I was watching a movie while I worked out. I paused it while I went to dress, and tried to restart it--all on the same network. I then tried clearing my history, restarting my tablet, reinstalling the software, removing my devices, changing the dns (one person suggested this), and none of it has worked. I am very frustrated that I can't finish the movie that I started. Seems like this is a bug in the system. Needs to be fixed!
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 18 of 32
7,117 Views
Same problem here used to work now does not iPad 3rd gen. Removed all devices, get hbo intro reel and then nothing. Please fix!!!!
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 19 of 32
7,100 Views

Anon1951838 wrote:
Same problem here used to work now does not iPad 3rd gen. Removed all devices, get hbo intro reel and then nothing. Please fix!!!!

In the Xfinity TV App, click settings then select "History" then "Clear all History".

 

Now try playing a video again and let me know if it works.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 32
7,098 Views

So in my case, after someone from the resolution department called me back, was that I was using third party DNS servers (google's, to be precise) on my network at home.  As soon as I removed those, and reverted to standard comcast DNS servers, it worked fine, and has ever since.  I attempted switch back to google's DNS just to see -- and the app did indeed fail.  I've tried on other networks as well, ATT Wifi hotspots, my company's WiFi network.  Never works outside my house.

 

Of course, this pretty much defeats the purpose of the app if it's true. Why would I want to stream stuff on my device if I'm home?

 

Is this actually the case?  I asked the tech, and he really didn't have an answer.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 21 of 32
7,093 Views

as long as you're on a wireless network it works, at least it does for me anywhere there is wifi.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 32
7,092 Views

rog286713 wrote:

as long as you're on a wireless network it works, at least it does for me anywhere there is wifi.


That's what I would expect, and want.  but so far that's not been the case for me.  It only works on my home network, and only when the DNS servers sent as part of the DHCP ack are comcast ones.  As soon as I change it to something else it doesn't work, and it's _never_ worked on any other wifi network.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 23 of 32
7,086 Views

What devices are you trying to watch on and what cable box do  you have?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 24 of 32
7,084 Views

iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4. I have a standard HD cable box (not a dvr). trying to watch the Play Now selections. What I'm saying here was stated to me from Comcast, and from every permutation of configurations I've tried, has been proven.  


rog286713 wrote:

What devices are you trying to watch on and what cable box do  you have?


 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 25 of 32
7,077 Views

I can tell you this, when I go home to my comcast network its fine there, when I am at work I watch playnow everyday at lunch on my companies wireless network which is not comcast.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 26 of 32
7,074 Views

slottedpig wrote:

iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4. I have a standard HD cable box (not a dvr). trying to watch the Play Now selections. What I'm saying here was stated to me from Comcast, and from every permutation of configurations I've tried, has been proven.  


rog286713 wrote:

What devices are you trying to watch on and what cable box do  you have?


 


On your iPhone home screen click Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the arrow next to your Wi-Fi network > change the DNS server to 75.75.75.75.

 

Now try playing videos again and let me know if it works.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 27 of 32
7,071 Views

ComcastJoe wrote:

slottedpig wrote:

iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4. I have a standard HD cable box (not a dvr). trying to watch the Play Now selections. What I'm saying here was stated to me from Comcast, and from every permutation of configurations I've tried, has been proven.  


rog286713 wrote:

What devices are you trying to watch on and what cable box do  you have?


 


On your iPhone home screen click Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the arrow next to your Wi-Fi network > change the DNS server to 75.75.75.75.

 

Now try playing videos again and let me know if it works.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe


Right, that works as well.  But I don't have the luxury (or desire) to change the DNS settings on every Wifi connection I'm on. Is there a reason this won't work using anyone's DNS?  Is it to protect the resources?  And only resolve from within a comcast controlled area?  And why does it work for some people (apparently)?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 28 of 32
7,070 Views

rog286713 wrote:

I can tell you this, when I go home to my comcast network its fine there, when I am at work I watch playnow everyday at lunch on my companies wireless network which is not comcast.


 I don't it.. 'cause that's the behavior I would expect.  However, it's never worked for me.  Without comcast specific DNS servers, including the ones Joe replied with.  Without that, I'm not able to watch play now content.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 29 of 32
7,020 Views
Per tech suggestion I changed my dns on the iPad to 75.75.75.75 - even though that is ridiculous to require a specific dns. Made no difference. I still get the HBO leader fine then nothing after that.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 30 of 32
6,834 Views

I cannot play movies on my iPad. Some tv shows are ok but no movies..even eligible ones! Please help.. Kay 

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 31 of 32
6,543 Views
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 32 of 32
6,541 Views

change the DNS server to 75.75.75.75.

 

Works now.  Thank you!

 

jxt181@comcast.net