Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't watch videos online

New Poster

Can't watch videos online

For about the past week I have been unable to watch anything online through the Comcast website. I have been able to view videos through other websites such as Hulu and Netflix. When I attempt to watch a TV show on Comcast the video will load, the first commercials will play, and then... nothing. I get a black screen with the tool bar at the bottom but the video will never play. At first it was only certain channels that would do this and now anything I attempt to watch never loads and never plays. It's extremely frustrating. I have tried all the old tricks of deleting cookies and restarting my computer to no avail. Anyone else have these issues? More importantly does anyone else have a solution? It's been far too long and watching TV at night is my only luxury that I afford myself right now!

New Poster

Re: Can't watch videos online

The same has happened to me! I moved and transferred my service, and I thought that was the cause. But I can't watch anything online - it really sucks!

New Poster

It really makes me angry because we pay a lot of money to have the service and it can't be used. Worse, nobody at Comcast seems to be able to be able to tell me what is wrong or how to fix it. However, they gladly take my money at the end of every freaking month!

Frequent Visitor

I'm sick of Comcast.

I tried watching some things online whaile traveling last week on business. No go, wouldn't work.

Get home on Friday and decide to watch a movie on Demand. No go. My On Demand NEVER works. We've had Comcast put a new line in the groung, changed boxes etc. I pay through the nose for their crappy service that I never even get.

On top of all that, they haven't made a decision on getting the SEC Network.

Screw you Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Dear Comcast.

I just called to voice a complaint. Told the lady that I'm sick and tired of paying for services that I do not receive. She asked me what kind of problems I've had and I told her that my Comcast On Demand never works. We've had Comcast run a new line in the yard, we've replaced boxes, we have to reboot just about every single day.

Do you know what this Comcast Customer Service lady told me??????

She said that I actually don't pay for Comcast On Demand. Said that it was a free service "given" to me.

I just hung up on her. Now I'm on hold with them again. I'm going to ask for some type of supervisor.

Frequent Visitor

OK, so I called back. Waited on hold for 28 minutes.

Spoke with another lady and asked for a supervisor or someone that might actually give a hoot.

She said that she couldn't do that because she had to follow procedure.

I told her that I've had problems with On Demand on my downstairs box for over a decade, she ALSO said that Comcast does not charge me for this service.

The company line is that since Comcast does not show a line item charge for On Demand that is free and we have no right to complain.

This is Comcast. Thanks alot. I don't get what I signed up for and you're entire compnay doesn't give a you know what!!

Regular Contributor

That true in most areas they don't charge for the on demand service. Even limited basic subscribers can get on demand with a standard converter box. On the tv side you do have to rent a standard converter box to get on demand through your tv Also, on the tv side it is pay-per-view unless the content is free.

Regardless whether on not the service is free, it still should work correctly.

Regular Contributor

The Xfinity streaming service is buggy beyond belief, the last month alone people have been constantly complaining about commercials freezing, the player saying "Abcxyz is not part of your subscription" or video's not playing at all.

My best suggestion is to try and go directly to the network website of the show you are trying to watch and see if you can watch from there.

- Norm

New Poster

I've had the same problem going on a week now.  Certain channels/shows seem to work regardless (big names like Game of Thrones) but others will not work (Orphan Black) despite trying chrome, firefox, and ie.

This needs to be fixed.

Even if its a "free" aspect of their service, it's still their service, and it should be recognized that this issue, as well as the attitude, refects very poorly on what they provide as a whole.

Regular Contributor

You must be the seventh or eighth person to specifically mention Orphan Black as being a problem show. I'm sorry to say that BBC America doesn't offer episode streaming from their site like many others do so it's either Xfinity or nothing.

Today for the first time I haven't been able to watch Game of Thrones while I have been able to watch the season finale of The Mentalist and this is both on XFinity and the HBOGo website. I started a thread for that and used some FireFox extensions to try and pinpoint exactly where playback is getting hung up. Here's the thread http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/HBO-Game-of-Thrones-not-working/m-p/2164944#M33083 if you have FireFox already installed maybe you can use the two extensions "Status-4-Evar" and "Live HTTP headers" to see if you are getting stuck on the same place as I am which is "Waiting for analytics.xcal.tv".

- Norm

New Poster

I am having the same problem with Orphan Black.  It plays an add (always the UCSC extension add - others seem to be OK) and says "You video will resume in a moment" or something similar, but never resumes - just black screen.  When I right click on the screen, it says "Movie not loaded".  This is BS.  I think I am going to contact the California attorney general as Comcast / Xfinity is not providing a service and, from the string of posts complaining about this problem, are negligent in fixing it.

New Poster

Just submitted a complaint to the California Attorney General's office.  Since this problem seems to be pervasive and is apparently being ignored by comcast, I would suggest that everyone submit complaints to their respective state Attorney General's office instead of trying to communicate with Comcast.  A nice class action suite would get comcast's attention, I believe.

New Poster

I am having the very same issue.  I have tried to watch multiple shows and the same thing happens every time- the commercial plays and then the screen goes black and the bottom says "buffering" but nothing ever happens no matter how long I've let it "buffer."  I noticed when I downloaded the xfinity app to my iphone I am able to watch shows so it doesn't seem to be an issue with my account.  It definitey seems like the issue is with my computer and its compatibility with the online TV programs. I'd really like to figure out a solution to this problem, let me know if you have found one Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

As a work around the best suggestion I can make is to go right to the networks own website and try and watch from there.

Make sure that you're using the latest version of the Flash player, you can check that here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

You didn't mention which browser or operating system you're using, if you happen to be using FireFox there's an extension called Live HTTP headers which you can use to capture what's going on in the browser when you're getting that buffering message. By providing the information and private messaging the Comcast people to look at it, chances are that you may get the problem fixed.

- Norm