Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't watch In-Home only content because I'm connected via ethernet, not WiFi

New Poster

Can't watch In-Home only content because I'm connected via ethernet, not WiFi

I just got a new computer which doesn't have WiFi capability, so I am connected to my home network via ethernet. This means that I'm technically not on my in-home WiFi network, apparently. And that means I can't view content on Xfinity Stream (I don't own a TV so this is the only way I watch TV) that is available to view In-Home only. This is frustrating, because I'm connected to my home network, but my ethernet instead of WiFi. I'm still paying for the service, and it's just me using it. I don't see why it would matter.

I called Xfinity yesterday, and I spoke to two people who seemed to have no clue what I was asking. The person from the internet department transferred me to the TV department, and that person had me on hold intermittently for an hour, and finally said "Uh... I guess there's nothing I can do. I asked my supervisor and there's nothing I can do" and quickly ended the call. She didn't ask if she could help me otherwise or offer to transfer me to a different department or speak to someone who might understand my issue or at least offer me an explanation as to why an ethernet connection is not suitable for viewing In-Home only content.

Can anyone understand my issue? I'd at least like to know there's absolutely no solution before I give up. I could buy a WiFi adapter, but I'd prefer not to have to.

Official Employee

Re: Can't watch In-Home only content because I'm connected via ethernet, not WiFi

Rfk1 wrote:

I just got a new computer which doesn't have WiFi capability, so I am connected to my home network via ethernet. This means that I'm technically not on my in-home WiFi network, apparently. And that means I can't view content on Xfinity Stream (I don't own a TV so this is the only way I watch TV) that is available to view In-Home only. This is frustrating, because I'm connected to my home network, but my ethernet instead of WiFi. I'm still paying for the service, and it's just me using it. I don't see why it would matter.

I called Xfinity yesterday, and I spoke to two people who seemed to have no clue what I was asking. The person from the internet department transferred me to the TV department, and that person had me on hold intermittently for an hour, and finally said "Uh... I guess there's nothing I can do. I asked my supervisor and there's nothing I can do" and quickly ended the call. She didn't ask if she could help me otherwise or offer to transfer me to a different department or speak to someone who might understand my issue or at least offer me an explanation as to why an ethernet connection is not suitable for viewing In-Home only content.

Can anyone understand my issue? I'd at least like to know there's absolutely no solution before I give up. I could buy a WiFi adapter, but I'd prefer not to have to.

I'm sorry you had a bad support experience. There is actually no requirement that you access via Wi-Fi - you just need to be on your in-home XFINITY network to access certain content (but there are 200+ live channels and thousands of On Demand choices available anywhere in the USA).

We use the IP address of the modem associated with your home service to verify your location. I'm not sure why a hard-wired connection would cause issues so suspect there may be another issue.

Do you own your own modem? If so, you may need to contact us (Internet dept) and ensure that its "MAC address" has been "assigned to an outlet on your account".  

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Can't watch In-Home only content because I'm connected via ethernet, not WiFi

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for your response. That makes more sense. I've had to fool around with my modem and router a couple times, so I could've done something to mess it up at some point. I'll try calling and verifying that. Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

It is not you it is the comcast system that will not allow us to watch local channels without a cable box.  

Frequent Visitor

I received a new modem as it said mine was old and wasn't listed, I followed the instructions to a T and it said to download the xfi app.Thats what caused my problem! I wanted to watch Netflix and my Vizio smart TV showed my modem but every time I tried to connect it said no signal.I tried working with Netflix and finally she said I think your going to have to call Comcast. I did and she changed Modem name and password as Laptop wouldn't connect either, I'm so glad I called I hate to bother people if I can figure it out but this was over my head. Thanks Comcast for knowing what to do

I don't want anymore community form email! I don't have time to delete thousands until I can figure out how to only get the ones I looked at
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation