Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can no longer Chromecast My DVR recordings

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Can no longer Chromecast My DVR recordings

Up until  till yesterday,  I was able to mirror my android to my television set ,  using chrome cast, and watch the shows that were on my DVR.     At some point last night this no longer works.   Once you set up mirroring and go to the TV app,  access a recording and try to play it I now get a message  "security protocols required by our network partners you can enjoy this video on your mobile device only ."

Considering we have been doing this for months up until last night,  clearly something has been changed.   I can still play TV to go apps using mirroring ,  however then I am stuck watching the commercials.  ( which I suppose might be the reason for the change ??)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated 

Accepted Solution

Re: Can no longer Chromecast My DVR recordings

Topic now being Closed.

View answer in context
New Poster

I have the same issue - it works from a laptop - at least it did until Sunday night - but after the laptop cratered , I attempted it with my phone and get same security protocols message . I even attempted with a direct connection from phone to hdmi, and received the same message. Called Comcast and they have no clue, since there isn't an error code associated with the message. Tech was very polite, and not following a script (i.e. he was in the u.s.). He did mention it might be a chromecast message but I easily convinced him it had nothing to do worth chromecast. Since casting is the only way I watch TV, Comcast is no longer providing their contractual service, and I can terminate my contract.
Silver Problem Solver

Most likely the media companies forced Comcast to restrict playback to native screens only.

Frequent Visitor

But wouldn't that then apply to the TV Go app, where you can still live stream stuff, just not the stuff that you DVR'd?

Contributor

techlucky wrote:
I have the same issue - it works from a laptop - at least it did until Sunday night - but after the laptop cratered , I attempted it with my phone and get same security protocols message . I even attempted with a direct connection from phone to hdmi, and received the same message. Called Comcast and they have no clue, since there isn't an error code associated with the message. Tech was very polite, and not following a script (i.e. he was in the u.s.). He did mention it might be a chromecast message but I easily convinced him it had nothing to do worth chromecast. Since casting is the only way I watch TV, Comcast is no longer providing their contractual service, and I can terminate my contract.

Yeah, looks like most of the latest app reviews on the Play store are indicating that they have now disabled HDMI as well as Chromecast. So stupid. I want my family to be able to watch our recordings on a bigger screen when we go off the grid (i.e. a cruise, a cabin, etc.) and now they are making that impossible. I wonder if that HDMI thing is only if it's a second screen, or if it would work on those cheap little Android TV boxes.

New Poster

This was one of the main features of the X1 DVR that convinced me to stick with Comcast.  DVR download to android phone.  Playback by mirroring to larger screen via MHL/HDMI.  It worked great at first then no warning, no annoucement, nothing.  We're left to commiserate together on un-announced policy changes like this.  I'm so ready to dump comcast now.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I completely agree.  We use this on our boat and loved the ability to watch our DVR recordings on the television set.    So did they disable the ability to chromecast "TVtoGo" also??  Not headed to the boat until next weekend, so cannot test.

JUST UGH if that is the case....I will be darned if I am going to pay for cable on the boat as well as at my house.  AND, hubby and I do not enjoy watching shows huddled around the tablet.

Would be nice if someone from Comcast could weigh in  here please?

New Poster

Haven't tried screen mirroring with TV Go.  I suspect it will be the same result.

Frequent Visitor

I am hoping not.  Right after they made the change (the day before my original post) we were still able to cast shows on TV to go from our android device (did I mention that we bought SPECIFICALLY to be able to stream, since we both already have ipads??)  Anyway, even though we could not cast our DVR'd shows, we could find them on TV Go and cast them there (but then you are stuck with commercials).

I can't test if this still works until next weekend when we are on the boat, unless you maybe are somewhere you could try it?  My android device and chromecast all on the boat....

Frequent Visitor

Can you still cast from a PC, does anyone know?

New Poster

This may be an entirely fictional story (in case comcast is reviewing), but now that I have a new laptop, with Windows 10, xfinity web site using chrome with the chromecast extension, I have successfully viewed recorded and current programs streamed from my laptop to the tv.  Of course, when the show got interesting, my superfast connection dropped for about 5 minutes (twice in 1 and 1/2 hour).  (I'm not being facetious about superfast - I get about 150 to 175 Mbps with ookla speed test)  

Frequent Visitor

That's good news, that can still be done from a pc. I was hoping that they did not take THAT away too (assuming of course that we are not making this all up Smiley Happy of course, just in case comcast is reading!)

Contributor

techlucky wrote:

This may be an entirely fictional story (in case comcast is reviewing), but now that I have a new laptop, with Windows 10, xfinity web site using chrome with the chromecast extension, I have successfully viewed recorded and current programs streamed from my laptop to the tv.  Of course, when the show got interesting, my superfast connection dropped for about 5 minutes (twice in 1 and 1/2 hour).  (I'm not being facetious about superfast - I get about 150 to 175 Mbps with ookla speed test)  

Well at least there is that, thanks for your experience. Still, they've made it useless to those of us who need offline methods of casting (Chromecast requires an internet connection).

And let's hope some engineer doesn't read this and is thanking you for alerting them to something else they need to disable.

Frequent Visitor

Oh lord... let's hope not!!

New Poster

I experienced the same issue last night.  I used to be able to Cast/Mirror Live TV from the Xfinity TV App on my Android phone to my Sony Android TV.  Now, I can't.  I can tell you that this is NOT an Android issue.  When this failed, I had a friend of mine who was over log into their DirectTV app, which has similar functionality, and it cast to the AndroidTV just fine.  This definitely a Comcast restriction.  I need this functionality because my TiVo broke and my replacement won't arrive for about a week.

New Poster

I'm switching back to Dish if not given a workaround. Just need to find the time but soon. Let me know ASAP, before losing a customer.
Problem Solver

davida5466 wrote:
I'm switching back to Dish if not given a workaround. Just need to find the time but soon. Let me know ASAP, before losing a customer.

There is no workaround for Chromecasting from Android or Apple phones or tablets. You still can cast from a PC or laptop. If that doesn't work for you, then back to Dish for you. Good luck.

New Poster

Yep, can cast NP from my Windows tablet but Windows cannot save.  Would be perfect to cast DVR shows saved to my smartphone.  

Comcast desperately needs competition and another monopoly/AT&T does not count.  Just as our political system needs more than two established parties, same concept. Monopolies lack consistent customer service and this type of unnecessary feature limitation is too common.  With the threat of Google Fiber Comcast has improved but it's relative.  Went from despicable to almost average.  Two cannot provide balance, leave it at that.  Smiley Wink

Whatever the case, stuck streaming from Windows with Comcast.  Normally not that bad BUT hotel Internet is frequently the problem, data caps, slow, etc.   Dish it is and thanks for the reply. 

Service Expert

Topic now being Closed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation