Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Black screen instead of device choice

New Poster

Black screen instead of device choice

After signing in when I want to watch tv online (instead of getting a screen asking me to choose a device and then going on to get my personalized streaming options) I end up with a black blank screen with nothing on it other than a comcast motto and the link to the privacy agreement. There seems to be no way to get past this or to get to the website itself even though I've signed in. Anybody help?

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Black screen instead of device choice

@hpax,

We apologize for the inconvenience. To help us better identify the issue you are experiencing, can you please post a screen shot of what you are seeing when attempting to stream tv? Thanks in advance.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem, which further complicates the earlier problem of inability to access MyTV, TBS, and CBS (among others).  For some reason, the screen doesn't capture.  Is this a security setting for tv.xfinity.com?

Bronze Problem Solver

ComcastJessie wrote:

@hpax,

We apologize for the inconvenience. To help us better identify the issue you are experiencing, can you please post a screen shot of what you are seeing when attempting to stream tv? Thanks in advance.

A screen cap. can be seen in dup thread here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/I-m-unable-to-login-on-my-laptop/td-p/2926390

New Poster

This is a screen shot of what I get (I also just spent an hour with doing a comcast chat and the issue wasn't able to be fixed by them either I was told to wait for an "advanced team" to call me.)

New Poster

Same thing happening here!  From the "adding device" page, it goes to this blank screen where nothing can be done.  Please advise on how to fix.  This began after I was promted to reload xfinity for an update.

FullSizeRender.jpg
New Poster

FYI I did as suggested - cleared cache, cookies, and browsing history.  Still same problem.

New Poster

Same here on 7/12/2017 at 7:32 pm Eastern Standard Time.  Can Comcast look at this, please?

Frequent Visitor

For what it's worth folks they are aware of this problem.  I began notifying them a week ago.  I've gotten three follow up automated phone calls advising they are working to resolve the issue and will notify me when it's fixed.  Not holding my breath cause I'm sure I would expire.

Official Employee

Again, very sorry you're having issues. The web developers are aware of the issue and working on troubleshooting and creating a fix.  As a workaround, they suggested the following:

1. Clear your local storage, cache and cookies. Local storage is a critical component to this so please see the instructions for various browser below.
  2. Be sure you are accessing https://tv.xfinity.com directly and haven't bookmarked the /adding-device page. 
  3. There may be an issue for some where security tokens aren't getting updated and the "Retry" button doesn't resolve. Suggestion is to do a page refresh (using the refresh button in the browser or F5 on some computers).  This could happen repeatedly (each time the token expires) until the web team releases a patch release so you may need to "refresh" again occassionally until then.

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue.

-ComcastDan 

How to clear local storage and cache:

CHROME:
1. On the tv.xfinity.com tab, open the developer tool by clicking on "…" dots > More Tools > Developer Tools. Then go to Application tab and click on "Local Storage" arrow to expand. Click on https://tv.xfinity.com and click on "Clear All" icon.
2. Next click on "Cookies" arrow to expand and select "https://tv.xfinity.com". Click on "Clear All" icon.
3. Clear your browser's cache by going to chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
4. Now load tv.xfinity.com. You should be able to login without any issues

FIREFOX:
1. On the tv.xfinity.com tab, go to Tools > Web Developer > Web Console
2. At the arrow (you will see at the bottom), type "localStorage.clear();"
3. Clear cache & cookies by going to Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > Clear your recent History (it's a small blue link) > Select time range > Check 'Cookies' & 'Cache' and click on "Clear Now"
4. Now load tv.xfinity.com. You should be able to login without any issues

SAFARI:
1. On the tv.xfinity.com tab, go to Develop > Show Web Inspector
2. Click on "Storage" tab
3. Click on "Local Storage"
4. Click on "tv.xfinity.com", you will see the stored data on the right. Right click on each item and delete
5. Again go to Develop > Empty Cache
6. Go to History > Clear History and click on "Clear History" button
7. Now load tv.xfinity.com. You should be able to login without any issues

INTERNET EXPLORER:
1. Go to Settings > Internet Options > Delete and check "Temporary Internet files and websites files", "Cookies and website data" & "History"
2. Click on Delete
3. Click on Apply and click on OK to close the modal
4. Close the browser
4. Relaunch and load tv.xfinity.com. You should be able to login without any issues

EDGE:
1. Go to "…" > Settings > Choose what to clear
2. Check "Cookies and saved website data" , "Cached data and files"
3. Click on Clear button
4. Close the browser
5. Relaunch and load tv.xfinity.com. You should be able to login without any issues

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply ComcastDan.  I followed your posted instructions to the letter and unfortunately this did not solve the issue for me.  Hopefully there will be an official fix for all forthcoming soon.

Frequent Visitor

I, too, followed the instructions for Chrome, but with no success. I cleared "cached images and files" and "cookies and other site data."  This did not resolve the problem, so I closed the browser, reopened it, and tried again.  Still not resolved.  Please advise.

Administrator
Administrator

@biga & @emeadows317,

We apologize that you are still experiencing an issue with streaming TV. If you are using Chrome for your browser, I have heard from your fix team and they have provided some resolutions (see below):

• If you do not have the "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" setting enabled in Chrome’s Cookie Settings (chrome://settings/content/cookies), quitting the browser, relaunching, and navigating to the home page (https://tv.xfinity.com/) should clear up the issue. 

• If you do have the "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" setting enabled in Chrome’s Cookie Settings (chrome://settings/content/cookies), try either clearing the browser cache from chrome://settings/clearBrowserData, exit and open Chrome, and navigate to https://tv.xfinity.com/or exit and open Chrome, navigate to https://tv.xfinity.com/

This issue was brought on by a recent update to Google Chrome that changed some of the compatibility requirements for files on pages hit during the login process. This explains why it started occurring outside of any version updates we have released.

If you have any further comments or questions, please let us know here. Thanks.

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
New Poster

I have followed all the steps listed on this thread, however nothing has resolved the problem. When I go to https://tv.xfinity.com/ and log-in, it will load the "Now connecting you to the xfinity experience" then... nothing but a black page. See the screenshot below. This has been happening for 3 days now and I've tried to access https://tv.xfinity.com/ on 4 different computers. Please advise.