New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Black Space at Top and Bottom of Screen

ANSWERED
Contributor

Black Space at Top and Bottom of Screen

You’ll probably tell me to call Comcast, but I’m trying to avoid it due to the hassles getting past the language accent barriers and their standard advice of scheduling a service call whatever the problem. So here’s my question…

Recently my wife noticed some of the analog channels are displaying with black space across the top and bottom of the screen, similar to how a widescreen DVD would display. However they don’t all display this way, and there seems to be no pattern as to which ones display with the black spaces and which ones fill up the entire screen. I hadn’t noticed this before because I always watch the HD channels, but she hasn’t learned the HD channel numbers yet as the small bedroom TV is still analog. It’s not a problem on the small analog TV, but compressing the picture at the top and bottom while stretching it across the width of the screen makes all the characters very fat on the wide screen HDTV. As I said, not all the channels do this. Some use the whole screen, and the picture is fine.

I know the real solution to this would be to have her learn the HD channel numbers, but as a matter of principle she shouldn’t have to.

I’ve checked out the TV thoroughly and am convinced it’s a Comcast issue as it displays the same on both the HDTV and the little analog TV.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this?

Accepted Solution

Re: Black Space at Top and Bottom of Screen

It's up to the station/channel as to how SD material is presented. It may also vary with the program being aired. Sometimes it's chopped to 4:3, sometimes it's left letterboxed.

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Black Space at Top and Bottom of Screen

It's up to the station/channel as to how SD material is presented. It may also vary with the program being aired. Sometimes it's chopped to 4:3, sometimes it's left letterboxed.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation