Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Anyplay question from a new Comcast customer.

New Poster

Anyplay question from a new Comcast customer.

I'm a new Comcast customer- am relocating from Time Warner territory. I had DISH at my home and loved it- especially the Slingbox attachment. I am temporarily in an apartment, so DISH is not an option. The only thing I did not like with DISH is that I was with Windstream DSL (slow connection). At the time, Time Warner's internet without cable was very expensive.

So here's my question- it appears that in order to play TV on my iPad/iPhone, I need to purchase a separate device- is that correct? Then I also need to subscribe to this as a separate service- then on top of that it is only watchable on my own WIFI network? Is all of this true? Time Warner included the ability to watch on your own WIFI network for free (although you could not do what DISH's slingbox could do- watch it anywhere with a fast enough WIFI). Can someone verify if this is all true, what is the cost of this, and DOES IT WORK? (in the early days of DISH's Slingbox service there were connectivity problems but over the past year they virtually disappeared).
Tags (3)
Cable Expert

Re: Anyplay question from a new Comcast customer.

There is only a handful of live channels that can be streamed to your IOS devices including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, CNN, HLN, Disney, Disney XD and Disney Junior.  You need to subscribe to the linear channel to receive these.  

The Anyplay device is rented at an additional 10.00 a month.  This device has one tuner in it to stream all chananels on your digital TV package, except On Demand / PPV, to one device at a time on the home network.  Anyplay is not nationwide.  Available in these areas: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah and Washington.

More information is at xfinity.com/anyplay

You might want to look into alternative streaming services such as Hulu plus, Netflix or similar.  If your close enough to over the air transmitters, there are also other solutions for live over the air TV to IOS devices.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks. Can I watch my DVR'd shows with AirPlay (I could with DISH), or is this just streaming?
Cable Expert

Right now you can only watch the shows stored on the DVR on the TV.  

Once the X1 platform is deployed and updated, that could be a feature, but nothing has been officially announced by Comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation