Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,841,894

members

1,020

online

36,148

topics

Top

Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

ANSWERED
New Poster

Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

Why can't I use xifinity stream on my fire tv? I've downloaded the app but all I get is connection error.  If it's a service I'm paying for id like to use it at my discretion without having to connect my laptop to the tv...    

Accepted Solution

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream


Lkbello wrote:

Why can't I use xifinity stream on my fire tv? I've downloaded the app but all I get is connection error.  If it's a service I'm paying for id like to use it at my discretion without having to connect my laptop to the tv...    


They don't allow mobile devices that connect to a tv use the stream app (except laptops).

The xfinity stream app is only compatible with amazon fire tablets.

 

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-requirements/#Amazon

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream


Lkbello wrote:

Why can't I use xifinity stream on my fire tv? I've downloaded the app but all I get is connection error.  If it's a service I'm paying for id like to use it at my discretion without having to connect my laptop to the tv...    


They don't allow mobile devices that connect to a tv use the stream app (except laptops).

The xfinity stream app is only compatible with amazon fire tablets.

 

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-requirements/#Amazon

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

the xfinity app is not available for the Fire tv. I wish it was. Only way to steam is with a Roku stick or tv as there is a beta app and it works good.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

I do hope during or after the Roku beta is done, Comcast will add the Fire TV stick/box to eligible devices.  I have more of them than Rokus, and hate to have to buy more Rokus just because they are the only device for Comcast.  It is the 21st century.  No streaming TV service (other than YouTubeTV) is locked onto only ONE device.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream


malala wrote:

I do hope during or after the Roku beta is done, Comcast will add the Fire TV stick/box to eligible devices.  I have more of them than Rokus, and hate to have to buy more Rokus just because they are the only device for Comcast.  It is the 21st century.  No streaming TV service (other than YouTubeTV) is locked onto only ONE device.


The roku stream app is only for roku, hence the name roku stream app, but the comcast stream app is availabe for Apple IOS and android devices. Comcast streaming service is not locked to one device.

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

Not true.  There is an xFinity app for Roku which is in the same class as the FireTV.

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

I was just told told via Live Chat that X1 Platform is now supporting Amazon Prime.  But no instructions on how to make the connection.      We have Xfinity internet and other APPS connect TV direct to online service. i.e. Pandora.  Not sure why I would need a firestick or other device if the internet and TV are directly connected.  Oh well, maybe will call support tomorrow and see if they can walk me through it.

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

Unfortunately the Xfinity Stream Beta is not in good working order even on roku yet. If you want a fantastic streaming service try Directtvnow instead. I’ve oretty much gone through all streaming possibilities on both roku and amazon fire stick and as far as cable type providers Direct has it down very well. I pay $45 a month and it includes HBO and all the Starz channels. I do really like the look of Xfinity however I can’t even open a single channel without an error. I’m sure it’s why they gave it to me free to start but even when it goes to $18/mo it’s not worth the headache. Also with Direct Now only the channels you subscribe to show so you don’t have to worry about clicking and being told it’s not part of your subscription. It makes for a user friendly interface if I don’t have to recall which channels I pay for. Most I don’t even watch but occasionally a certain show may catch my eye.
New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

You can watch Amazon prime content on your X1 box, but can not watch the Xfinity programming on a TV that uses a fire stick to connect via WiFi to all the other streaming services that your phone, table, or laptop will.

So
X1 supports Amazon Prime
X1 is not supported by Amazon Fire stick
Amazon Fire Stick will not allow you to watch your DVR programs on a TV that is not connected via cable.

Side note: the latest Netflix app is incompatible with some android phones, so the future is uncertain.
New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

I just got new Internet and TV service with Xfinity. I had the option to get a traditional cable box or sign up for the new Xfinity - Steam option. Xfinity Strem option sounded great. But now I find out that I cannot even use my newly purchased Fire TV box to watch TV.. There needs to be a fix for this. I am not sure if I should go back to the store and request a traditional cable box or return my new Fire TV box to Amazon.

 

This is a pitty. Smiley Sad It sounds like my only other option is to plug my desktop PC into my TV and use that, and now I will have to buy another desktop PC, Laptop or some new TV that might work with the Xfinity Stream APP.. What is so weird is that Netflix and Hulu work perfectly fine and they use stream technolgy too.

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

You're not missing much with the Roku Stream app. The picture quality is not up to today's standards. I do, however, enjoy the mobile Stream app. It's negatives are that I have to filter the channels out that I'm not subscribed to every time I use it, and not all channels are availble outside of the home WiFi network. As a side note, one workaround to watch Xfinity channels on your TV without a cable box, if you have an Apple TV and a Mac, is to use the Safari browser to open the Stream website and Airplay it to your TV. I switched from Sling to Directtv Now, and got in during the intro deal with a free Firestick with over 100 channels $35/month. I had to suffer through all of the major issues that it had at launch, but they rewarded me with free HBO and locked in that rate for as long as I'm a subscriber (which has now almost doubled for new subscribers). I'm mostly happy with it except that I only get one local channel in my area (Fox), and during peak hours the channels stutters pretty frequently (but is MUCH better than when it launched). If you subscribe now and prepay one month, you get a free Roku.

Regular Visitor

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

Not true,I use it on Roku

Service Expert

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream


@Dave_Perry1 wrote:

I just got new Internet and TV service with Xfinity. I had the option to get a traditional cable box or sign up for the new Xfinity - Steam option. Xfinity Strem option sounded great. But now I find out that I cannot even use my newly purchased Fire TV box to watch TV.. There needs to be a fix for this. I am not sure if I should go back to the store and request a traditional cable box or return my new Fire TV box to Amazon.

 

This is a pitty. Smiley Sad It sounds like my only other option is to plug my desktop PC into my TV and use that, and now I will have to buy another desktop PC, Laptop or some new TV that might work with the Xfinity Stream APP.. What is so weird is that Netflix and Hulu work perfectly fine and they use stream technolgy too.


there is a fire TV thread that announces which models work (newer) and don't work (very old). 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements?view=app




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

I have been a Comcast Customer for a while now since I moved and AT&T Uverse was not available in my area.  I also have most Amazon devices including the Fire TV and TV sticks.  I have been waiting with anticipation for Xfinity to make it so that I can stream through the Fire Tv box and stick.  I suspect that the reason that they don't want to do this is purely for cash flow purposes.  They charge a fee for each box rental. If they allow us to stream directly through the tx boxes, they immediately lose revenue.  I have 5 additional boxes at 9.95/month and one lite box i pay 5.95/mo.  as soon as they make this available, I will immediately return those boxes and they will lose 600/year on me.  Imagine that hundreds of thousands of customers return their monthly rental boxes.  that's millions in lost revenue.  So I suspect they will slow walk this one to a solution that is in our favor.  I hope I'm misreading their motives, but I doubt it. The technology is there, their will to make it available is not.  Too bad.  IJS

Service Expert

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream


@shawshank37013 wrote:

I have been a Comcast Customer for a while now since I moved and AT&T Uverse was not available in my area.  I also have most Amazon devices including the Fire TV and TV sticks.  I have been waiting with anticipation for Xfinity to make it so that I can stream through the Fire Tv box and stick.  I suspect that the reason that they don't want to do this is purely for cash flow purposes.  They charge a fee for each box rental. If they allow us to stream directly through the tx boxes, they immediately lose revenue.  I have 5 additional boxes at 9.95/month and one lite box i pay 5.95/mo.  as soon as they make this available, I will immediately return those boxes and they will lose 600/year on me.  Imagine that hundreds of thousands of customers return their monthly rental boxes.  that's millions in lost revenue.  So I suspect they will slow walk this one to a solution that is in our favor.  I hope I'm misreading their motives, but I doubt it. The technology is there, their will to make it available is not.  Too bad.  IJS


Comcast pays the providers and charges us (customers) per TV outlet. the Roku is currently free while in beta-test but will eventually have a monthly TV outlet charge. Connecting to TVs is the business for Comcast.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

I like that answer. It makes sense. I too have several boxes with XFinity. I have several Fire Sticks with a one time charge of $39 bucks. If XFinity Stream was compatible with the Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick, guess who is left out in the cold?

 

However, we are still XFinity customers, just not spending as much money. But, we are getting very frustrated with the service and how we are paying for something we don't need. Eventually, we will find BETTER alternatives and remember how we are currently being treated.

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

There is still no supported app to connect Xfinity Stream app through Amazon Fire TV/Stick.  It works fine with my Amazon Fire Tablet, seems odd however that Comcast has allowed Roku TV to work with Xfinity Stream app if their excuse is that it cuts into their TV cable box rental revenue.  So, does anybody know why?  With all these Roku Tv's becoming popular, it begs to reason some measures will be taken, more of a reason to cut cable completely.  Comcast, make it the same across the board, those that want extra services will rent the cable box, those happy with the streaming download will still find a way with or without you!

New Poster

Re: Amazon Fire tv for xfinity stream

I was able to side load the application yesterday and it sort of works with several workarounds. I had to install a virtual remote in the box and on a phone/tablet to control it as the first tv remote sort of works. The thing is, once you get it installed and running, it streams great. They just need to fix it so that it works with the fire tv remote.

Do side load it and also side loade the MousrToggle application. This will give you much of the functionality you need without a fully functioning firetv remote.
Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats