New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Al Jazeera: How to tell Comcast No and Remove Al Jazeera from Your Programming

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Al Jazeera: How to tell Comcast No and Remove Al Jazeera from Your Programming

If Al Jazeera is part of your package Comcast is sending Al Jazeera a portion of your subscription.  Yes, you may block Al Jazeera; however, this does not stop Comcast from sending your money to a company that provides support and comfort to our enemies.  In fact, one could reasonably expect Comcast to get in front of this on a proactive basis.  Instead, I spent 3 hours on Sunday talking to 4 different people so I can share with you the best way to go.

What can you do?

OPTIONS:

Al Jazerra Purchased Current TV and will be reflected as the same channel as Current TV.  If you have Current TV in your programing you will have Al Jazerra if you do not already.

1.  If you disaprove of Comast you can change provdiers.  Currently Direct TV also carries Al Jazeera. AT&T is the only primary provider I am aware of that does not carry Al Jazerra in their programming.

2.  To stay with Comcast and not support Al Jazerra you must down grade to the Triple Play Package...  This is the only option Comcast provides other than basic cable.

In order for me to downgrade my service and avoid sending money to Al Jazerra Comcast is charging me an additional $25+ per month.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  Comcast increased my bill despite downgrading my service.  This small win for Comcast today will cost Comcast my business as soon as I can switch my service.

How are you going to tell Comcast NO Al Jazeera?

Accepted Solution

Re: Al Jazeera: How to tell Comcast No and Remove Al Jazeera from Your Programming

1.  The purpoes of this thread is to educate individulas as to their options with respect to Al Jazeera.  If you do not like the thread you should not feel compelled to respond.

2.  I am highly educated on the topic and aware that Al Jazeera America is owned and operated by the same individuals that spread anti American propaganda and gave aid and comfort to our enemies during the gulf wars.

3.  At no time did I prejudice myself against, as you say, "those people."  My comments are a matter of fact.  Frankly I am not sure I understand how you rationalize supporting an organiztion that supports our enemies; however, this is America and I fought for you to have that right.

View answer in context
Valued Contributor

Re: Al Jazeera: How to tell Comcast No and Remove Al Jazeera from Your Programming

I've told them, "Yes Al Jazeera," and "Thanks for standing up to those fine 'patriots' who want to stifle free speech."
Frequent Visitor

I can appreciate your right to watch whatever you like...  Likewise, I hope you will support my right to not be forced to support Al Jazeera. 

Valued Contributor

sigh......   If you don't support a channel don't watch it.  the only reason you downgrade so you don't get it is because its in the prefered package.  This channel replaced current TV when it was bought out...

I have actually watched this channel to see what the whole big deal is..  People are doing a lot of complaining for no reason it is actually a world news channels with coverage around the world.  The reporting is actually as close to center on the political scale more so than anything I have seen in the United States.  

I have fought overseas and have watched the real Al Jazeera, that channel did show the uglier side of the war.  But this one is acutally pretty good and I will be starting to watch more of AJAM

Regular Contributor

People are responding to the name and nothing else. OP, please educate yourself on what the channel is and don't let your predjudices guide you. You do realize that "those people" are not all terrorists right? And even if they were, do you think they'd actually be able to get away with having a terrorist news channel?

Frequent Visitor

1.  The purpoes of this thread is to educate individulas as to their options with respect to Al Jazeera.  If you do not like the thread you should not feel compelled to respond.

2.  I am highly educated on the topic and aware that Al Jazeera America is owned and operated by the same individuals that spread anti American propaganda and gave aid and comfort to our enemies during the gulf wars.

3.  At no time did I prejudice myself against, as you say, "those people."  My comments are a matter of fact.  Frankly I am not sure I understand how you rationalize supporting an organiztion that supports our enemies; however, this is America and I fought for you to have that right.

Regular Contributor

I feel like America's worst enemies are right inside the borders. We do so much damage to ourselves and our national reputation that our "enemies" just have to sit back and watch us make fools of ourselves arguing over nothing...like a news channel with a historically unfortunate name.

You're right though, this is not the place for such a discussion.

New Poster

Al Jazeera is an arm of the Muslim Brotherhood.  I do not support any organization that burns churches and kills Christians. 

Valued Contributor

If you honestly believe Al Jazeera is that evil, the honorable thing to do would be to cancel your Comcast service and switch to a provider that doesn't carry it. Good luck finding one, though; the only ones I know of are AT&T U-Verse (which isn't available nationwide) and Time Warner Cable (which doesn't serve Comcast markets).

Seriously, don't waste your time whining on a message board. Put your money where your mouth is.
New Poster

Please add One America News.  The left has ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN and MSNBC.  The right has Fox, and that's it.  One more voice on the right is desperately needed.

If you need a location for the channel, I would think Al Jazeera would be the perfect spot.  I will watch MSNBC before I would watch Al Jazeera (which means it would never happen).

Regular Contributor

I like how the OP solved his own thread. Just goes to show that these overly political types live in their own worlds.

This thread can be closed any time now...

Frequent Visitor

Why is it that the moderators/contributors for Comcast are in this thread trying to turn this thread into a political statement.?  

Brian Preston states, "Good luck finding one" 

Brian was speaking with regards to options for a provider that does not carry Al Jazeera.  Brian, the great thing about America is that when companys do not cater to the demands of their customers new companys are built to fill that void...  If you dought me, a good case in point would be Fox News.

I just voted with my wallet and found a way to reduce my Comcast bill by $40.  Yes, I will continue to look for ways to remove myself from a company that lends support to a company that aids our enemies. 

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what hat you pulled the name "Brian" out of, but that's not my name, Paul Acecount. Smiley Wink Also, I have zero affiliation with Comcast, Paul, other than being a paying customer. I think you'll find that any employee who would encourage customers to find a different provider like I did wouldn't be long for the company.

I couldn't care less whether you stay or go; I'm simply stating it's hypocritical to continue paying for a service that you feel supports "our" enemies. Again, put your money where your mouth is. Call first thing in the morning and cancel. Return your equipment. I personally would want nothing to do with a company I viewed as carousing with terrorists.
Frequent Visitor

What is remarkable to me is Comcast carries Al Jazeera and not Fox News in their watch online, live TV networks.  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-networks  It is just striking to see Al Jazeera listed and not FNC.  Comcast could not be more affective at demonstrating bias than this.  If you want to give your customers what they want, put the highest rated cable news network into the mix.  Go ahead and keep Al Jazeera - it's just a waste of space.  My guess is that Comcast gets Al Jazeera, MSNBC and the like for a song and FNC would cost $$$ because of the ratings...  Well, Comcast gets paid very well for their service, they can afford it...

New Poster

When you subscribe to cable, each channel included in the lineup receives some portion of the money that you pay for your monthly services... therefore, you're paying for Al Jazeera regardless if you watch it or not.

There is some validity to those concerned that a portion of their money is being handed to a group that is largely anti-American... and make no mistake about it, Al Jazeera IS anti-American, among other things.  Very few will expose the truth, so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't already know.  Here are some clips from Al Jazeera's main news group: http://t.co/mzYl5qV236

What should concern every Comcast customer is that there has been a large effort to get TheBlaze added to their lineup but Comcast has ignored us.  I dropped Comcast and signed a 2 year commitment with the only provider who offered TheBlaze at the time, Dish Network. 

My issue with Comcast is they've ignored the requests to add TheBlaze, which offers relevant news that Americans must be informed about,  while at the same time, forcing many of their customers to support Al Jazeera, who pushes an anti-American viewpoint.  Unlike viewers of Al Jazeera that only had to request, we need to put our money where our heart is.

We should be asking for more options, not fewer.  We should also be humble enough to question the things that we "know".  If you've never watched Al Jazeera, watch it and form your own conclusions... but never close your mind, constantly watch the various news channels because we're often handed points that support the News Station's message while excluding many facts that don't fit into the agenda. 

My personal experience is that TheBlaze strives to expose the truth without regard to political affiliation, because they care about right and wrong and they're aimed at rebuilding integrity and character... and that cannot be done by playing the political game.  The major media outlets have lied for so long that it's created a market for honest journalism, and The Blaze dominates that nitche of the market.  Watch them and look for lies... you'll be hard pressed to find a single instance of where they are lying or misleading their viewers.

Here's a suggestion for Comcast... why not offer both channels a-la-carte so we can decide what we're willing to pay for?  Oh, I almost forgot, Comcast bought MSNBC, so they have to protect their investments.

If you don't like the decisions Comcast has made, change providers today.  Dish Network is half of the cost of Comcast.

Gold Problem Solver

jsimmons4450 wrote: ... Comcast carries Al Jazeera and not Fox News in their watch online, live TV networks.  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-networks  ...

The statement appears to be incorrect. The link posted lists every network Comcast carries. It includes Al Jazeera and Fox News. Neither one seems to be available for streaming on http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/

Frequent Visitor

I spoke with Time Warner last week as they are the only provider that currently does not carry Al Jazerra in their programming.  In fact, it is my understanding that Al Jazeera is suing them because of it.... 

If you are in the Jacksonville market area Time Warner indicates they are shooting to provide service to our market in the next 6 months.  This is what Capitalism is all about.  If you do not want to support Al Jazeera, The Muslim Brotherhood, and our enemies then you will have options shortly.

Silver Problem Solver

I knew Al Jazeera was suing AT&T for dropping the channel after the changeover from Current.

Time Warner had dropped Current long before Al-Jazeera bought it out due to low ratings.

AT&T still had the carriage contract in place with Current which went along with the sale I believe which is the reason for the lawsuit.

Didn't know they were suing Time Warner also.

Contributor

Al Jazeera does not support our enemies.  Can you show me proof of this??

Frequent Visitor

Fair enough. Looks likenComcast has added FNC to the 'watch online' network lineup. It was not there when I posted.
Contributor

I want al-Jazeera but my current packaage doesn't include. Which package do I need to buy to include it? 

Contributor

I'm not going to. Al Jazeera is about the only news organization that does any real investigative reporting

Contributor

Nonsense. Read all the news articles from al-Jazeera on the treatment of Christians. No way to they promote their persecution or support the Muslim Brotherhood! 

Regular Contributor

The best news on Comcast is streamed via the Roku. Those channels are:

1) The Young Turks

2) The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann

3) Democracy Now! with Amy Goodman

Watching these will be an educational experience for those on the right  (or should I say wrong).

Contributor

I want to watch al Jazeera, but it doesn't look like it's available in my area yet. Too bad.

New Poster

I am sorry but you clearly havent done any research what so ever. You dont have brains. All you can do to defend your false claims is say I THOUGHT THIS IS AMERICA!!! AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO PROCLAIM SOMEBODY A TERRORIST!!!. FACT IS YOU ARE A RETARD. END OFF...

Contributor

I just added it to my service. 

Contributor

I'd love to have a choice between al Jazeera and Faux News myself. 

Contributor

You wrote: 

"Al Jazeera America is owned and operated by the same individuals that spread anti American propaganda and gave aid and comfort to our enemies during the gulf wars."

I'm glad you know what you are talking about. Al Jazeera is owned by Dubai which allowed its territory to be used as an air base for the US during the first Gulf War. Did they oppose the War in Iraq? Since it was an unprovoked attack, I suppose they did. 

Silver Problem Solver

Qatar owns Al-Jazeera and they also helped out during the 1991 Gulf War

In 1991, Qatar played a significant role in the Persian Gulf War, particularly during the Battle of Khafji in which Qatari tanks rolled through the streets of the town providing fire support for Saudi Arabian National Guard units which were fighting against units of the Iraqi Army. Qatar also allowed Coalition troops from Canada to use the country as an airbase to launch aircraft on CAP duty.

Contributor

You are right. I misspoke. Qatar owns al-Jazeera. 

Silver Problem Solver

We are all human, mistakes happen. No biggie.

What most people seem to miss on this issue but to the best of my understanding on this is that the Al-Jazeera America programming is all produced in America on American issues.

Now that is not to say that the headquarters may or may not  have some editorial say in what issues get covered.

Contributor

And actually al-Jazeera did not yet exist during the first Gulf War. It wasn't started until 1996 when the BBC closed their Arabic-language station. That's what it was meant to replace. 

New Poster

1- no one is forcing you to watch it
2- have you ever watch aljazeera to know it?
3- Aljazeera is the only channel with free news from the Middle East
4- we don't want to be in the US in an enclosed circle where we do NOT know what is going on in the world
So keep the thought of blocking it to yourself please
Frequent Visitor

Interesting to see this thread taken over by a few people who obviously have an agenda and nothing of value to say or contribute.  I will remind you of why I put this thread together:

1.  Comcast is forcing consumers to pay for Aljazeera.

2.  Aljazeera gives support to our enemies.

3.  Aljazeera is owned by an individual in Qatar who is part of the Muslim Brotherhood.

4.  The Muslim Brotherhood are terrorist and support by Iran -- despite the support our administration gave them in Egypt.

Contributor

Sorry the Emir of Qatar (who owns al-Jazeera) is not a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. And no, the Muslim Brotherhood is not supported by Iran. Iran is Shi'ite and the Muslim Brotherhood is entirely Sunni. 

What our administration supported in Egypt was democracy, not the Muslim Brotherhood. 

Perhaps you are opposed to democracy? 

People who lump all Muslims together and don't know the difference between Sunnis and Shi'ites, royalists and the Muslim Brotherhood, who mistake support for democracy for support of terrorism have their own agenda. 

Contributor

Funny, that, Pacecount. I was just thinking how refreshing it is to have this thread enhanced by people possessed of actual facts. And dispossessed of xenophobia.

Regular Contributor

To me this thread marks the vast difference between people who take the time to learn about the world they live in and the folks who believe whatever the politicians on "their side" and the alphabet news media shove down their throats.

Pace, you've been properly schooled and this is still not the right place to talking about this. Take it to Breitbart, where you be welcomed with open arms and no one will criticize you for being intolerant and afraid.

Regular Visitor

That is just stupid!  Exercise choise by not watching whatever you don't want to watch.  Don't take away my choice to see what I want!  This is better news than we get from most US channels.

Regular Visitor

That is not true.