Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Add Full Screen Pinning to Silverlight Player

New Poster

Add Full Screen Pinning to Silverlight Player

Please add the StaysInFullScreenWhenUnfocused  permission to your video player,  all videos lose full screen when working with dual monitors and it is truly aggrivating.    You can see video of how to do it on the Silverlight.net site

Thank you

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Add Full Screen Pinning to Silverlight Player

Seriously, is anyone listening?!?!?

I also would appreciate this ability; and so would probably thousands of others.

DoubleEG, I am tempted to create some kind of port on this code.  I am a coder and work sometimes 12 hours or more at a time, with multi-displays.

Netflix has this option, so when you open for the first time into full screen mode, you have the option to add the URL to the permissions folder within silverlight preferences.

In a PC it's easy to modify, you just tweak a registry setting.

But Mac OS X (I'm on Lion), it's just not that easy.

I've posted this same request/question on several other forums, and zero responses.  What gives?

Somebody, anybody listening?  I've spent way too much time research this...

Here's to a happy solution!!!

New Poster

Has anyone gotten back to you yet? I've been trying to find an answer for over a month.

Frequent Visitor

Hey Wastedmynd,  nope no response yet.  It's very bizarre.

Oh, and on a happier note, when I installed silverlight (ver 5) it crashes everytime.  This is somewhat related...

So, I had to delete and reinstall ver 4.  That's for free; my OS is the latest updated Mac Lion.

Good luck, I'll post here if I see a solution.  

New Poster

Yes, any help here Comcast. Very annoying - should be a simple fix.

New Poster

For PCs, what exactly do you tweak?

New Poster

I would appreciate this feature too. I don't see why it isn't supported already.

New Poster

It's possible that the people who actually need to hear this request don't read the forum. I think a message has to be sent directly to support. Has anyone tried this?

New Poster

Either they don't care, which I doubt it, or Comcast is not reading these postings.

Frequent Visitor

Great news!  Thanks Shannon.  I would be happy to build the app' for you if Comcast doesn't have the time.  Please let me know... it would be an easy fix. Smiley Happy

New Poster

Full Screen issue while watching a video

Trying to watch Comcast TV on my computer. After getting past the "install a new version of Silverlight", everything works... except I can't seem to keep the video full screen. 

I have two monitor setup. Would love to view full screen on one monitor, but when I switch to another window, the video playing switches away from full screen. Very annoying, any suggestions?

Tim

New Poster

Streampix/Silverlight fullscreen option on secondary monitor?

I cannot seem to get Streampix/Silverlight to stay fullscreen on my secondary monitor.  I know that netflix adds a Permission to stay fullscreen when unfocused in the silverlight Configuration window. How can I enable this for streampix aswell?

Please let me know either way. Thank you

Win 7

Latest version of Chrome

64 Bit Silverlight

New Poster

This is something that would take 5 minutes to do and people have been asking for it for over a year.  Every other online player has this but Xfinity.  I am a customer but I don't watch Xfinity online for just this reason. 

Do we have any update on this?

New Poster

Please add this feature. This is very annoying.

Regular Visitor

Any update on this feature?  Or does anyone know a workaround I can do from my end on this?

Regular Visitor

You gotta be kidding!  XfinityTV doesn't have a plan to let you pin Silverlight to full screen on a dual-monitor setup???  I guess it's time to look elsewhere for service.

Contributor

NO PLANS!!? Do you realize how many of your customers have multi-monitor setups?

It takes less than 10 minutes to provide the permission for this to be allowed, and yet you won't do it?

Netflix allows it. Perhaps they deserve my business more than you do. When I'm working on my primary monitor and want to watch a tv show on my secondary, there's no excuse not to allow it to stay fullscreen.

New Poster

If it's simply a matter of them giving silverlight permissions to fix this. it seems silly that it's being ignored.

If xfinity refuses to offer at least the same level of usability that anyone can get from FREE alternatives then they will have a hard time competing in the 21st century. look into a program called utorrent. Perhaps losing customers and revenue will get xfinity to listen to their customers. then again i wouldn't count on that either.

Contributor

"It's on our to-do list. Let you know when it's coming."

When, exactly? This is something that can be fixed inside of a single workday. I'll be canceling my TV service at the end of my promotional period if this isn't added in.

I refuse to be held hostage with my dual-monitor setup to a small window on my secondary monitor. Other services offer this feature for their users, your monopoly will not prevent me from taking business elsewhere.

New Poster

This is 100% unnacceptable. I ONLY use xfinity streaming on my second monitor and it simply does not work. It WILL NOT stay full-screen while I try to work on my main monitor. Useless and aggravating. Netflix creates a full-screen exception in Firefox do it will STAY full-screen when unfocused. Why is Comcast not the same? Either fix the problem or I will cancel my service and switch providers.

Contributor

This still needs to be resolved.

When my promo pricing ends, if this hasn't been fixed, I'll be canceling my TV service.

Contributor

Another week without a simple and basic feature.

New Poster

OMG. LOL really??  Wow unbelievable.  Hey here's a helpful customer service tip #103  never tell a customer NO always offer solutions to their problem and if you have no plans at least say you are working on adding this feature but currently have no ETA. LOL...FAIL.

New Poster

I chatted with Comcast this morning about this issue, because I'm having it too.  Still same answer. we're working on it.  I told them they have a month to fix it. After that I'm going to anything else.  If Netflix can get their Silverlight plug-in to work with dual monitor, then why won't Comcast? Additionally, The engineering team needs to inform your customer service agents of developments that the engineers are doing so that we, the customers, can get updated information. Dual monitor is a common occurrence, it's not for super geeks anymore.  The only current work around is to have a second DEDICATED computer just to watch shows from Xfinity in true fullscreen.  if you have a big enough tv/monitor you can fake it with one computer if you maximize (windows) or zoom/resize (mac) your browser window, put your browser into full screen mode and use the browser's zoom feature to zoom in, but this is far from ideal.  

I think the reason why it hasn't been fixed yet is that this has to do with the fact that they don't want people using their computers to substitute for a cable box so they can charge per TV or more accurately charge per place where people watch TV in their homes.  For those of us who can't afford to rent "extra" cable boxes, let alone add extra on-demand charges on top of the other charges, and/or are morally opposed to the idea of having to pay extra for "extra rooms" is ludicrous and basically racketeering, because you can't decrypt the signal with out one. You're stuck with Over The Air (OTA) "free*" TV. I can't put an antenna on my building without consent of the Condo Owners Assoc., which is a bunch of tedious political malarky  I don't want to slog through just to watch OTA... -sigh- It seems there's no winning. We'll just have to wait until Comcast has mercy on those of us who wish to work and watch TV on the same computer. Unlike the cable/satelite companies, who care very deeply about how many places you watch TV because it's integral to their revenue stream, companies like Netflix, Hulu, Blockbuster, Apple's Itunes, Google's Youtube, care less than .0000000001% of 1 EYE-YOTA (iota), which by the way is literally nothing, where, when, or how you watch your favorite content vis-a-vis their fee structuring.  In the end everything comes down to money. Follow the money, find the rot. You can quote me on that.

*even OTA has commercials and only the major networks if you live in range of a city's broadcast region.

PS quick tip: Never contact Comcast using the telephone if you have Internet access. The people there are not available 24/7 and if you want your own record of the conversation, in most states, you have to gain consent of the representative to whom you're talking. This is just a pain and you can't easily search through an audio conversation with out transcriptions which is time consuming and a complete waste of time anyway, considering that their chat feature is available 24/7 free unconditional saving of a transcript so you can keep them honest. Here is the full transcript of my conversation with the representative this morning.  I anonymized my real name and took out any Identifying info but other than that it's complete. Enjoy!

PS quick tip: Never contact Comcast using the telephone if you have Internet access. The people there are not available 24/7 and if you want your own record of the conversation, in most states, you have to gain consent of the representative to whom you're talking. this is just a pain and you can't easily search through an audio conversation with out transcriptions which is time consuming and a complete waste of time anyway, considering that their chat feature is available 24/7 free unconditional saving of a transcript so you can keep them honest. Here is the full transcript of my conversation with the representative this morning.  I anonymized my real name and took out any Identifying info but other than that it's complete. BTW anything in [ ] is my commentary on the conversation, after the fact. Enjoy!

CHAT ID: [anonymized] Problem: Comcast's implementation of microsoft sliverlight wont let dual monitor full screen work. I'm trying to watch shows with Dual monitor. When I switch focus to any other window my second monitor comes out of fullscreen view.

Janice > Hello Desert_Dweller5, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Janice. Please give me one moment to review your information. 

Desert_Dweller5 > My Issue: Comcast's implementation of Microsoft Silverlight wont let dual monitor full screen work. I'm trying to watch shows with Dual monitor. When I switch focus to any other window my second monitor comes out of fullscreen view. 

Desert_Dweller5 > Janice, Good morning! 

Janice > Hi! 

Desert_Dweller5 > so how's chandler  

Desert_Dweller5 > t-hehehe 

Janice > Good morning. 

Desert_Dweller5 > so can you help me with my issue? 

Janice > I understand you have trouble viewing xfinity tv programs on your dual monitor computer. 

Desert_Dweller5 > DING DING DING! winner winner chicken dinner! 

Desert_Dweller5 > yep. 

Janice > Desert_Dweller5, to set proper expectation, we are only limited to supporting your Xfinity service, as to your issue today, I would suggest you contact the device manufacturer for it. [an obvious evasion designed to get me off the chat line]

Desert_Dweller5 > it's not about the device.... 

Desert_Dweller5 > It's comcast's settings in silverlight. 

Desert_Dweller5 > Netflix has silverlight and they work properly. so no it's not my computer. 

Janice > I understand, thank you for clarifying that. 

Desert_Dweller5 > good, good, so can you help? 

Janice > Let me double check on it. 

Janice > Can you please give me a 2-3 minutes for this? 

Desert_Dweller5 > ok. go for it, just lemme know when you find something! 

Janice > Thank you. 

Desert_Dweller5 > btw here's a link to comcast's xfinity tv forum with the same issue. many people have this issue. Desert_Dweller5 > http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Add-Full-Screen-Pinning-to-Silverlight-Player/td-p/10... 

Janice > Thank you for this additional information. 

Desert_Dweller5 > sure. lemme know when you're done. [2-3 minutes goes by]

Janice > Thank you for waiting. 

Janice > Desert_Dweller5, I have verified that this feature is not available with xifinity tv. 

Desert_Dweller5 > because? 

Janice > That we do not have information why this feature was not added. 

Janice > Have no worries, we will take note of this issue. 

Desert_Dweller5 > When will it be fixed? 

Janice > There is no estimated time of fix for this since this is a feature that was not added to the program. 

Desert_Dweller5 > ok I need to know when it will be possible to do this. 

Desert_Dweller5 > a "fix." 

Desert_Dweller5 > how soon can you have it up and running? 

Janice > Desert_Dweller5 we will still escalate this request to our correct team for them to check if this feature will be added. 

Desert_Dweller5 > actually I think you made a typo... you said "IF it will be added," I think you mean, "WHEN it will be added." 

Desert_Dweller5 > as far as I'm concerned this is a deal breaker. 

Desert_Dweller5 > I can find a service that will fit my needs if this is not addressed. 

Desert_Dweller5 > there is a guy who is willing to fix it if you let him.... 

Desert_Dweller5 > so I don't see why it isn't already possible... 

Janice > I completely understand your concern Desert_Dweller5. [Never addresses my suggestion evade evade evade]

Janice > What I can do here is create a ticket for this concern so that our support team will work on this. Desert_Dweller5 > ok then I'd like to know when please? 

Desert_Dweller5 > what's the ticket number? 

Janice > I am now working on it. 

Desert_Dweller5 > ok thanks for your help. 

Janice > This is actually a known issue, though Comcast cannot currently provide a timeline for the resolution of their issue, we are working diligently on the identified issues for this product. 

Janice > Here is the ticket number for your reference: [anonymized for my account security reasons]

Janice > Is there anything else that I may be of assistance with? I am very much willing to assist you further. 

Desert_Dweller5 > it's a known issue but you don't know IF you'll fix it basically is the message here? 

Janice > I understand that, rest assured we're working on it. 

Janice > You are a valued customer and our priority is your satisfaction on the services we provided. Janice > A customer ticket was created, creating the ticket provides visibility to the impact of this issue to our customers. 

Desert_Dweller5 > yah. well it seems like you told that to someone else and saw through it.. customer service tip #103 never tell a customer NO always offer solutions to their problem and if you have no plans at least say you are working on adding this feature but currently have no ETA. LOL...FAIL. .... Message 25 of 25 (58 Views) Desert_Dweller5 > ok. 

Desert_Dweller5 > we'll check back on this. 

Desert_Dweller5 > I want it fixed, I think 1 more month should be enough time to fix it. Desert_Dweller5 > that should be ample time. 

Janice > Thank you so much for your utmost understanding. 

Desert_Dweller5 > thanks I know you can only do so much.... 

Desert_Dweller5 > I'll clear the line so others can get their stuff answered. 

Janice > Woud there be anything else that I may be of assistance with? 

Desert_Dweller5 > no. 

Desert_Dweller5 > thanks. 

Janice > You are most welcome. Janice > Thank you for your time bringing this concern to us. 

Desert_Dweller5 > sure! We'll be watching Smiley Wink 

Desert_Dweller5 > bye

I chatted back to check to see if my ticket number was tied to my account and it was. I was hoping to give it out but I don't want to compromise the security of my info. sorry. But a good thing happened Comcast promised resolution in 24-72 hours. we'll see if that's actually going to happen.  I don't know if this is just me or applies to everyone but hopefully everyone. Here's an excerpt of the relevant part of the second chat:

Desert_Dweller5 > is there a way we can all come together and make sure this is getting resolved?

•Desert_Dweller5 > I'm not taking no for an answer. or "oh we're working on it, but there's no ETA on fix," which to me is the same thing.

•Desert_Dweller5 > I'd like proof. if possible.

•Desert_Dweller5 > like a website with updated statuses and such.

•Jessica > I understand where you are coming from, Desert_Dweller5. I also use the online TV free feature myself. And I'm also affected about this. The online access for Xfinity TV is already being worked on. We do not have an ETA for this since it is out back office admin who is working on this. But I can assure you that this will be fixed within 24-72 hours since it is also our business that's being affected about this.

•Desert_Dweller5 > oooh a time frame! SHINY!

•Desert_Dweller5 > I like.

•Desert_Dweller5 > that's all I'm looking for.

•Desert_Dweller5 > I know it's not binding or anything but I'm glad you said 24-72 hours.

•Desert_Dweller5 > cuz I'll keep checking up.

•Desert_Dweller5 > ok, I got want I needed.

•Desert_Dweller5 > thanks for your help.

•Jessica > Sure thing. I will also make sure your account is updated with the work being done on the Xfinity TV site.

•Jessica > YOu are most welcome.

•Desert_Dweller5 > um. hold on, sorry I dunno the URL for that site.

•Desert_Dweller5 > in the logged in area?

•Desert_Dweller5 > basically where would i find these updates?

•Jessica > When you log on to the site you will see this notification " Our wizards are at work.We’ll be available following some upgrades. Thanks for your patience. In the meantime, check out XFINITY on Facebook!"

•Jessica > Link is http://xfinitytv.comcast.net

•Desert_Dweller5 > ok.

•Jessica > For checking maintenance updates you can go to http://online.comcast.net/networkhealth/outagecheck.aspx

•Desert_Dweller5 > so 3 days I'll check back if it's still not done.

•Desert_Dweller5 > and can i post chats on the forum?

•Desert_Dweller5 > May I?

•Desert_Dweller5 > Am I allowed?

•Jessica > Sure, you can.

•Jessica > Not a problem.

Desert_Dweller5 > awesome

•Desert_Dweller5 > I'll just leave out the reference numbers.

•Desert_Dweller5 > is there a reference number for this chat?

•Desert_Dweller5 > or a new ticket number?

•Jessica > There no need for additional ticket. The [ticket number] is still on account and linked to our maintenance work order.

•Desert_Dweller5 > k, just double checking. SOP, you know.

•Jessica > I understand.

•Desert_Dweller5 > any other numbers or info I need for the next guy?

•Desert_Dweller5 > (sorry also SOP)

•Jessica > The [ticket number] ticket will do since it is the one created for the Xfinity TV site down time.

•Desert_Dweller5 > ok. sounds good, sorry for 3x checking. I'm a bit type A but it helps me in these situations. thanks for your time and have a great rest of your shift.

•Jessica > I'm glad I had the opportunity to address your concerns for today Desert_Dweller5.

•Jessica > Are you sure you are okay from here?

•Jessica > Is there anything else I can assist you with today? I would be glad to help you further.

•Desert_Dweller5 > yep! Me too.

•Desert_Dweller5 > No. I have what I need. Thanks.

•Desert_Dweller5 > thanks for your time and have a great rest of your shift.

•Jessica > Same thing to you, Desert_Dweller5.

I hope Jessica was serious about what she said or if it was just a tactic. Only time will tell.  does anyone know what "it is out back office admin who is working on this." Means? maybe she meant it is OUR instead of out.  who is this back office admin?  Back office sounds like this guy lives in the back office of the USA, the developing world somewhere.  who knows.  I hope they keep their word.  ok this is super long thanks for reading. I tried to do the best i could to get this fixed for you guys and for me.  If anything new comes up I'll repost but I hope I don't have to because it's getting fixed.  

with fingers firmly crossed

Desert_dweller5

Contributor

You might as well have been asking for Comcast to make the sky pink, and the clouds orange.

They aren't going to fix this issue - they don't CARE about multi-monitor users.

They'll care when people stop paying for their ****** service - not until then.

New Poster

Thank you Comcast Joe for cementing my decision to cancel my service with Comcast Smiley Happy

Contributor

Well it's been six days since a promised resolution timeframe of 2-3 days.

AND still not fixed.

Honestly Comcast, your online accessibility services suck. I believe I only have a month or so left on my intro rate, and then you'll be losing another customer BECAUSE YOU WON'T OFFER REASONABLE SERVICES.

Contributor

This topic is over a year old, and Comcast doesn't want to get with the times.

Worthless company, IMO. Looking forward to ditching my services now.

Contributor

"But I can assure you that this will be fixed within 24-72 hours since it is also our business that's being affected about this."

Liars. 

Frequent Visitor

Well, I have an idea.  Why doesn't Comcast open this code up?  They need to contact their developers and request that they provide the code.  Then post the code here.  I'll fix it myself.  No charge.  I can't change it right now because it's locked down within Mac OS (any version OS X).

Or Comcast, just email me the code, I'll fix it, on my clock.

If you have the development code available; the fix is literally 30 minutes.  It's a quick fix; adding line to the code... which tells silverlight to stay full screen when unfocused.  No problem.

********attention********************

I have one work around for this; but it is a pain in the bottom and not conventional.

I open one of my vmachines (vmware), run it full screen in one of my monitors.  Then I open xfinity that way through the vmachine.  See when I leave the vmachine, silverlight thinks I'm still in it and the show stays full screen.

Set back is no a great picture, but performance is great.

I may just connect to one of my servers via KVM (haha); it would also function the same.  Same principle.

My .02, if you have the resources and this is driving you mad and there are no other ISP options in your area.

Cheers.

Smith

New Poster

When is this going to be fixed! Stop ignoring this comcast! Every other silverlight player will do this, why can't you?

Silver Problem Solver

Let it go people.It is not going to happen. You have the official Comcast answer from ComcastJoe:

There is currently no plans to add this feature at this time.

Sorry,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Regular Visitor

Haha, I have to agree with you there.  Although I do find the other comcast agent post (6 above Joe's) a bit humerous. 

Have one Comcast Agent saying yes, another saying no.

Sounds just like the Comcast I know.

Official Employee

Hi all,

Our product team is constantly working on improving the site to make the best experience possible. Thanks for your suggestion; we will consider this idea for a future release.

EDIT: I have removed my previous post to avoid any confusion. In August 2012, we did have no plans of offering it but are now looking into it.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

ComcastJoe wrote:

EDIT: I have removed my previous post to avoid any confusion. In August 2012, we did have no plans of offering it but are now looking into it.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe, the thing is, that doesn't really mean anything. Comcast put out a notice over a year ago that they were going to add Roku support for HBO Go...and there is still nothing done on that.  It seems ludicrous that Comcast denies their customers the ability to watch things like HBO Go on their televisions instead of a small monitor, and also not allow full screen to stay pinned when uisng and extended monitor to view it from the PC. It is as if they are doing everything they can to make it inconvenient for the customer to view outside of a controlled environment.

New Poster

This needs to be implemented. It's a basic functionality and if comcast wants money from me to watch streaming video then the company is going ot need to implement it. Otherwise I might as well go back to netflix as this is annoying to the point it's useless for me to continue. 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, please add this feature to your silverlight player. It seems like it would be a very easy addition. Unless Comcast is trying to figure out a way to make it a monthly charge for this feature (wouldn't surprise me).

Maybe point your developers to this page to find out how to add the parameter to your script.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc189023%28v=vs.95%29.aspx

see "StaysFullScreenWhenUnfocused" on "FullScreenOptions"

Keep in mind your competition (Netflix) is doing it and has been for a long time.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Support please accept my offer.  I am willing to edit the code for a very competitive fee.  It would not take much; as long as you have access to the code.

I am assuming that Comcast is held by contract with a third party; of which locks down their code.  The edit to allow staying in full screen while unfocused is relatively simple and spelled out on the Silverlight site.

That is simply all that has to be accomplished.

Please, please help us.  I am estimating this lack of service is affecting approx 50-100k customers (minimum).  Seems substantial enough to help.

I honestly still appreciate Comcast service and support.  You provide the best coverage in sports, TV, and internet bandwidth choices.  thank you, and happy new year folks!!!

New Poster

Stangly enough mine has been sporratic over the past couple weeks.  A few times it just started working, but i had given up so i wasn't paying too much attention to exactly what I did.  I was using chrome and usually having xfinity in a separate window on my 2nd display. I never messed with any settings. I've been tryng all sort of combinitions for hours trying to recreate it but have failed.  Somehow knowing it did work is even more frustrating. 

Regular Visitor

If you're watching something through Hulu on Xfinity (usually network TV shows or older series), the full screen on second screen works fine. It's watching movies, particularly on the premium channels, which generally present the problem. 

New Poster

Now it just started working!   New chrome window, right click to open in new window on the play button.  move the new window to 2nd monitor.  While loading I opened a new tab in the original chrome window on my primary.  Then I full screened the episode on the 2nd window/monitor.  

Then it did something it's only done a few times.  It went full screen but it only did it partially.  (i should also mention a few times my full screen 2nd monitor situation has worked fine over the past week) so i exited full screen and then clicked full screen again.  This time is worked fully. A full screen. I waited for the controls to fade away and clicked back to my primary monitor with the original chrome screen open.  

Now I am here posting.  I would try to confim this but I'd like to enjoy at least 1 full screen episode of homeland.

New Poster

I believe this is correct.  Absolutely no issue watching The Following with the little fox and hulu logos permanently on the screen.

Frequent Visitor

that's great!  i haven't tried for a bit.  is the full screen still staying full screen after some time has passed?  and not just with the hulu channel?

thanks.

cheers,

smith

New Poster

No that was just from the hulu videos.  However, I am currently watching walking dead and it is usuing flash player not silverlight with no full screen issues.  Although it has been crashing completely about every to minutes.  That may just be my computer.  So maybe they have changed the plugin to flash player instead which resolved the full screen issue.  Time will tell....