Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Access pre-cloud DVR recording via Xfinity TV app?

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Access pre-cloud DVR recording via Xfinity TV app?

Hello,

Window just popped up on my TV screen asking whether or not I wanted to upgrade to Cloud DVR.  I accepted Terms, then downlowded Xfinity TV app for iOS.  Already have the Xfinity Connect, Xfinity TV Remote, and Xfinity TV Go apps installed (why so many overlapping apps?).  Very new to Cloud DVR, so bear with me.  First, is there a Cloud DVR FAQ or Help or something available for first-time users?  Second, is there a way for me to view my pre-existing (pre-Cloud) recordings, stored on my DVR (recorded before upgrade), via the Xfinity TV app?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Access pre-cloud DVR recording via Xfinity TV app?

milehiguy wrote:

Hello,

Window just popped up on my TV screen asking whether or not I wanted to upgrade to Cloud DVR.  I accepted Terms, then downlowded Xfinity TV app for iOS.  Already have the Xfinity Connect and Xfinity TV Go apps installed (why so many overlapping apps?).  Very new to Cloud DVR, so bear with me.  First, is there a Cloud DVR FAQ or Help or something available for first-time users?  Second, is there a way for me to view my pre-existing (pre-Cloud) recordings, stored on my DVR (recorded before upgrade), via the Xfinity TV app?

Thanks.

See this link for the Cloud DVR FAQ:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

And no, you can only view recordings made AFTER you had accepted the terms & conditions...   only those recordings made after will be available to be viewed from the cloud ( not from your physical DVR )...

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

View answer in context
Service Expert

milehiguy wrote:

Hello,

Window just popped up on my TV screen asking whether or not I wanted to upgrade to Cloud DVR.  I accepted Terms, then downlowded Xfinity TV app for iOS.  Already have the Xfinity Connect and Xfinity TV Go apps installed (why so many overlapping apps?).  Very new to Cloud DVR, so bear with me.  First, is there a Cloud DVR FAQ or Help or something available for first-time users?  Second, is there a way for me to view my pre-existing (pre-Cloud) recordings, stored on my DVR (recorded before upgrade), via the Xfinity TV app?

Thanks.

See this link for the Cloud DVR FAQ:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

And no, you can only view recordings made AFTER you had accepted the terms & conditions...   only those recordings made after will be available to be viewed from the cloud ( not from your physical DVR )...

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Cable Expert

You can't access any shows on the DVR directly from the app.  When you record with cloud DVR service, the cloud stores the episode and the DVR stores the episode's recordings are totally separate.  Existing DVR recordings will not sync with the cloud, only newly recorded shows.

If you have specific questions on the X1 DVR box, then please post in the x1 forum section.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks, will check out that link. Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

You can't access any shows on the DVR directly from the app.  When you record with cloud DVR service, the cloud stores the episode and the DVR stores the episode's recordings are totally separate.  Existing DVR recordings will not sync with the cloud, only newly recorded shows.

If you have specific questions on the X1 DVR box, then please post in the x1 forum section.

Thanks Jay, wasn't sure which of the two forums to post in (feel free to move this thread to the X1 forum if more appropriate there).

Am still slightly confused, then I'll head off to the FAQ that geek46 recommended.  Now that I've upgraded, ...

1) Is there any functional difference between initiating a recording via the Xfinity TV Remote app, the Xfinity TV app, the Xfinity TV web portal, or directly from the DVR?

2) Will new new recordings be saved on the DVR and in the cloud?  If only in the cloud, what's the point of the DVR hard drive?

3) What is the storage capacity available for my Cloud recordings?

4) Why aren't my existing (pre-Cloud) scheduled recordings appearing in the Xfinity TV app under Scheduled Recordings?  Any way to migrate them over?

Problem Solver

milehiguy wrote:

JayInAlg wrote:

Thanks Jay, wasn't sure which of the two forums to post in (feel free to move this thread to the X1 forum if more appropriate there).

Am still slightly confused, then I'll head off to the FAQ that geek46 recommended.  Now that I've upgraded, ...

1) Is there any functional difference between initiating a recording via the Xfinity TV Go app, the Xfinity TV app, or directly from the DVR?

No, they all will schedule and start recordings on the DVR and Cloud DVR.

2) Will new new recordings be saved on the DVR and in the cloud?  If only in the cloud, what's the point of the DVR hard drive?

Both, Cloud DVR is just a mirror copy of your physical DVR (except for recordings that happened prior to activating the Cloud DVR)

Same as your physical DVR - 500 GB

4) Why aren't my existing (pre-Cloud) scheduled recordings appearing in the Xfinity TV app under Scheduled Recordings?  Any way to migrate them over?

They should be. Go into Settings on the physical DVR, then "Device Settings", then "Sync DVR".  See if that gets your scheduled recordings over.

Regular Contributor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

milehiguy wrote:

JayInAlg wrote:

1) Is there any functional difference between initiating a recording via the Xfinity TV Go app, the Xfinity TV app, or directly from the DVR?

No, they all will schedule and start recordings on the DVR and Cloud DVR.

Both, Cloud DVR is just a mirror copy of your physical DVR (except for recordings that happened prior to activating the Cloud DVR)

They should be. Go into Settings on the physical DVR, then "Device Settings", then "Sync DVR".  See if that gets your scheduled recordings over.

Thanks, very helpful.  And re: #4, after performing a Sync DVR, my scheduled recordings for the next 14 days are now appearing.  I have other questions about the Xfinity TV app itself (like why no "Favorites" filter in the Guide, as we have in the Xfinity TV Remote app), but I'll ask them later in a seperate post.  Thanks to all who've answered my questions here, appreciate it.

Official Employee

Adding to the good information that Howaboutthisone gave you. The cloud portion is larger at 500 GB, the physical recording part of the DVR is a little smaller at just over 400GB.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Adding to the good information that Howaboutthisone gave you. The cloud portion is larger at 500 GB, the physical recording part of the DVR is a little smaller at just over 400GB.

Thanks Andrew.  Hmmm.  Am I to assume that if my DVR only has 100GB of free space available (75% full of "pre-Cloud" recordings), I only have 100GB of free space for new recordings, Cloud or DVR?  Hopefully that made sense.

Problem Solver

I understand what you are asking, but you really can't say either way how it will work. As you schedule and record new programs, some of your older pre-Cloud recordings could get auto deleted off of the physical DVR to make room thereby allowing your Cloud DVR capacity to creep up. Also, if you had a bunch of recordings scheduled, and unplugged your DVR, those recordings will still record to the Cloud.

Whatever secret algorithm Comcast uses to manage the recordings between the physical and Cloud DVR, I doubt they will share.  But maybe someone from Comcast could shed some light.

milehiguy wrote:

Thanks Andrew.  Hmmm.  Am I to assume that if my DVR only has 100GB of free space available (75% full of "pre-Cloud" recordings), I only have 100GB of free space for new recordings, Cloud or DVR?  Hopefully that made sense.

Regular Contributor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

I understand what you are asking, but you really can't say either way how it will work. As you schedule and record new programs, some of your older pre-Cloud recordings could get auto deleted off of the physical DVR to make room thereby allowing your Cloud DVR capacity to creep up. Also, if you had a bunch of recordings scheduled, and unplugged your DVR, those recordings will still record to the Cloud.

Whatever secret algorithm Comcast uses to manage the recordings between the physical and Cloud DVR, I doubt they will share.  But maybe someone from Comcast could shed some light.

milehiguy wrote:

Thanks.  Yes, am hoping that I won't have to find out how this works through trial and error, or when a program suddenly disappears from my DVR or won't record to the Cloud because the DVR is full.  Can't imagine why Comcast hasn't documented this (maybe they have?) or would feel the need to keep it a secret.

New Poster

this is bs when you type in any other address in the address bar it defaults to infinity.com