Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

what does the XiD-P box do? how does it get installed?

Visitor

what does the XiD-P box do? how does it get installed?

Just recieved the X1 system with XiD-P box. What does this box do? I cant find any instructions on installing the XiD-P.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: what does the XiD-P box do? how does it get installed?

More info please...

Rerrante wrote:

Just recieved the X1 system with XiD-P box. What does this box do? I cant find any instructions on installing the XiD-P.

Official Employee

Rerrante wrote:

It does everything the main box does. It needs a live cable signal to be installed.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Regular Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rerrante wrote:

It does everything the main box does. It needs a live cable signal to be installed.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Not necessarily.  I'm pretty sure you need an XG1 or XG2 box as your hub, then an XiD can be a companion since it needs a tuner from the XG1 or XG2.  And you will also most likely have problems if there are any splitters between the XiD and the hub box.

Official Employee

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure you need an XG1 or XG2 box as your hub, then an XiD can be a companion since it needs a tuner from the XG1 or XG2. And you will also most likely have problems if there are any splitters between the XiD and the hub box.

Please explain what you mean. The main box I referred to, is going be either an X1 DVR or an XG2 and the Xid has exactly the same attributes ( settings, apps etc) as those two. If you have more than 1 piece of equipment there will be a splitter, you may have problems if there is MULTIPLE splitters.
Regular Contributor

The OP said he received an XiD. He didn't mention any other box. I know that you can see what equipment he has, but I can't. I was assuming that he received the wrong box. Wouldn't surprise me.
Expert

xid compared to xg1

xid only 20 minute live buffer (per previous threads) while xg1 has 60 minute buffer (TS

xid has no tuner and no DOCSIS modem while xg1 has both. The xid must use one of the tuners from the DVR.

retail on xg1 is $20/month while xid is $10/month. An additional XG1 used in place of the companion xiD gives 500gb of extra hard drive space and similar increase in cloud DVR storage space.

There is a new wireless box coming out soon can't wait to see what it does 'extra' other than use a lot of the home's wireless capability.

New Poster

I have 2 XiD-P DTAs
The first has full X1 features and DTA has blue light, second one has no X1 access and a green light on DTA. Both are wired similarly. Any advise?
Expert

cwdunlap wrote:
I have 2 XiD-P DTAs
The first has full X1 features and DTA has blue light, second one has no X1 access and a green light on DTA. Both are wired similarly. Any advise?

hi, I'm another customer like you. the devices you have are called companion set top boxes and work with the x1 entertainment system. A DTA is a cable adapter for minimum tV service and is not part of the x1 entertainment experience. The boxes you have give you complete access to X1 TV, on-demand, your DVR recordings (if you have a DVR), as well as all X1 service apps.

please check the model number on the bottom label of both devices. There are some DTAs (not x1 equipment) that have a green power light but it would be slightly larger than a thick deck of playing cards.