Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

remote won't change channels

New Poster

remote won't change channels

My remote will not change the channels.  It will change volume and it will turn on and off.  That's it.  No channel changes, no guide, no 'last'.  Nothing else works.

New Poster

Re: remote won't change channels

My remote is also not working for anything but the on/off and volume control.  If its not one thing its another.  Yesterday it was the Xfinity not working, day before it was some error with the system.  Every other day it seems we lose our WiFi. This is by far the worst system Ihave ever had or used. 

New Poster

We have been experiencing the very same thing!!!!!!!!!!!  What do we do?????

New Poster

Found a post here at this forum from a Comcast guy that solved the problem! (http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Interruption-11-5-2014/m-p/2388191).

Here's what to do (note:  we had the tv off at the time we did this; i.e., we had pushed the top power button on our remote so our tv screen was black):

1.  On the front of the BOX, push the circular power button.

2.  Wait two-three seconds and push that circular power button again.

3.  Now, on your REMOTE push the "xfinity" button.

4.  Now, on your REMOTE, push the power button (ours is the very top button on our remote).

Voila!  For some reason this worked!!!!!!!

New Poster

Same probem here, i am beyond frustrated. this is ridiculous. not to mention you can't even talk to someone unless you wait 25 min on the phone...

New Poster

This worked for me as well...thanks for posting! Side note...I previously had no connection and by changing out my hdmi cable with a new one from Comcast and got connection and volume but no ability to change channels until I tried this.
New Poster

"Voila"?! And this worked for good? Or you have to do this everytime it happens, which is several times a day. I h-a-t-e this!!! It is ridiculous that there is a 'work around' to get the friggin' remote to work!!!

Problem Solver

Sounds like your X1 is losing connection to the server (all remote commands are sent to the server), you may all have signal issues that require a tech to investigate & fix

New Poster

I tend to agree with the lost X11 connection comment by 312. After have a few days success after new cable, the ability to change channels was lost.. I just did nothing for that night and next morning. Then magically it started working again.
New Poster

I woke up this morning with the box blinking.  Turned on the TV and saw a message that it couldn't connect to X1 Platform.  I unplugged the box, as instructed, and it came one.  Then I found out that I couldn't change the station using the numbers on the remote.  I followed the instruction posted about and it now works.  Thanks!