Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

"Best available resolution" setting - unclear function

Frequent Visitor

"Best available resolution" setting - unclear function

I found that, somehow, I could no longer tune in any SD channels (#002 - xxx, etc.). So I explored the "Settings" area under the Xfinity key on my remote. I discovered a "General" "Setting" described as "Default to best resolution for video playback" for the "Prefer best available resolution" selection (on/off). With no indication that this function had anything to do with SD v. HD "channel" selection, I concluded that this was a function pertaining to "video playback", and moved on to Customer Service. After the usual denial of SSN applicability to account verification, the agent eventually directed me to the above "Resolution" "Setting" to restore SD "Channel Selection". Do you think maybe the description of that setting might be better to include the words "Channel Selection" rather than "video playback". And, if not, does that Setting function ("Prefer best available resolution") indeed, have any effect on the resolution of actual DVR "video playback"? Kingston, NJ
Official Employee

Re: "Best available resolution" setting - unclear function

It used to be called Auto Tune to HD, if you’re not paying for HD it should be turned off. Best available Resolution is HD, if it’s set to Off it’ll be SD.
Any DVR Setting would depend on what it was set for.