Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

program info and timeline won't go away at bottom of screen

New Poster

program info and timeline won't go away at bottom of screen

there is a program photo, timeline, program name at the bottom of the screen blocking the bottom part of the display.  it won't disappear and pressing the Exit button doesn't help. i am watching regular TV.

the right side has the name of the program below the timeline and the right side has "DVR Bloomberg TV".

How did this happen and how do i make it go away?

New Poster

Re: horizontal bar

I'm back and MORE irritated.

Every time I change channels, fast forward/back, etc., this "Black Bar" pops up fro mthe bottom covering 1/3 the screen. Most times it's 5 seconds before it disapears and sometimes it just stays where I have to turn off then on the TV box to get rid of it.

Other times it just pops up on it's own and does not go away.

I've had enough of this Black Bar, get rid of it. It was not there when we first went with Xfinity, it is in the software, get rid of it.

FM

Silver Problem Solver

Topic is several years old...

Are you sure it's not just the normal black bar that appears on the bottom of the screen when you change channles/FD/REW on the X1 box, and something is causing it to not go away when it should?

This is certainly not a software issue, I have used tons of different types of boxes and do not have the issue.

Regular Contributor

fm-usa wrote:

I'm back and MORE irritated.

Every time I change channels, fast forward/back, etc., this "Black Bar" pops up fro mthe bottom covering 1/3 the screen. Most times it's 5 seconds before it disapears and sometimes it just stays where I have to turn off then on the TV box to get rid of it.

Other times it just pops up on it's own and does not go away.

I've had enough of this Black Bar, get rid of it. It was not there when we first went with Xfinity, it is in the software, get rid of it.

FM

Yes for a while now I also have noticed that the "info bar" or whatever you call it at random times does not go away on it's own. In fact when this happens you need to pause the show then click exit and then click play again and then finally the info bar will go away on it's own. I notice it the most when I fast forward a DVR Recording and then click play.

I am on software Build 1.55.02

This needs to be fixed!!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: horizontal bar or Transport Bar

This is the most annoying aspect of using the Comcast X1 DVR. If you like watching sports on time delay without commercials and without all the boring bits, it means using the fast forward feature frequently. Having almost one-third of the screen obscured by the transport bar for 5 seconds after hitting play is driving me crazy. First, the only meaningful information being converyed is the recording status bar . This could easliy be accomplished with a much smaller strip. Second, the bar has icons and words in three different places telling me what program I have recorded and am watching. Seriously? Don't you guys think I already know this? Third, I experience the same problem noted by the original post. The Transport Bar will frequently stay stuck in the on postion after returning to play mode, requiring another round of fast forward/play to make it go away.

Please Comcast engineers, put this on the list of future upgrades. Make the transport bar smaller and make it go away instantly when I hit play.

Gold Problem Solver

This doesn't sound right. You might want to consider having Comcast send a tech out to investigate.

Kclarke225 wrote:

This is the most annoying aspect of using the Comcast X1 DVR. If you like watching sports on time delay without commercials and without all the boring bits, it means using the fast forward feature frequently. Having almost of third of the screen obscured by the transport bar for 5 seconds after hitting play is driving me crazy. First, the only meaningful information being converyed is the recording status bar . This could easliy be accomplished with a tiny strip. Second, it tells me three time what program I have recorded and am watching. Seriously? Third, I experience the same problem as noted by the original post. The Transport Bar will frequently stay stuck in the on postion, requiring another round of fast forward/play to make it go away.

Please Comcast engineers, put this on the list of future upgrades. Make it smaller and make go away instantly when I hit play.

Frequent Visitor

If you have the X1 DVR the problem is easy to observe. Just hit fast forward in a recording, and then play. A screen shot showing the Transport Bar also appears in the online user manual. The issue with it staying on is maybe worth a call to support as you suggest. Myself and others are mainly annoyed by the design that is not in the interest of end users. The status bar and the icons look great against the black background. But its all just excessive and letting it hang around for 5 seconds after hitting play is not in any user's interest.

Gold Problem Solver

If the info bar bothers you that much, press the EXIT button. That will clear the info bar.

FYI, please remember that while X1 may be new to you, it has been around for more than two years now. Your concern is not new and has been mentioned quite a few times before. Comcast is aware.

Also, the reason I suggested you have a tech visit is I have never once in over two years with X1 service have I had the info bar "stick". That suggests a possible signal issue that should be investigated.

Kclarke225 wrote:

If you have the X1 DVR the problem is easy to observe. Just hit fast forward in a recording, and then play. A screen shot showing the Transport Bar also appears in the online user manual. The issue with it staying on is maybe worth a call to support as you suggest. Myself and others are mainly annoyed by the design that is not in the interest of end users. The status bar and the icons look great against the black background. But its all just excessive and letting it hang around for 5 seconds after hitting play is not in any user's interest.

New Poster

I couldn't agree more! This stupid bar that appears whenever you press Pause, FF, REW, Play, Info change channels etc. and 99% of the time shows no information other than the stupid progress bar which I cant seem to make sense out of! The worst part is that sometimes there is a delay of a few seconds before it pops up. So you cant even reliably hit the button you want and then immediately hit Up or Exit to get rid of it. You have to wait for it to obscure the score, or the time, or the play at the bottom of the screen before making it go away. DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Service Expert

After using the X1 System for over two years, I no longer am  bothered by its idiosyncrasies.

TiVO might be an option for you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

It's great to hear others sharing my frustration. All I can imagine is that Comcast gets some kickback from the networks for splattering their logo across the screen. If enough people complain, hopefully we can get it changed. I can handle the progress bar; this is occassionally useful in a long event to see where you are. But rendering a full third of the screen black for such a long time is ridiculous! And how many times have you missed the Exit button on the remote and instead touched the Guide or xfinity buttons? At that point, I'm ready to toss the remote into the screen!

Please engineering, this is a simple fix that would be a big improvement in customer experience which I hope still counts for something.

New Poster

I agree, that "status" bar drives me crazy.  If you watch sports and switch back and forth between games all the time, you can never see the score or the time remaining in the game, because the "status" bar is RIGHT ON TOP OF THE SCORE INFO.  Those five seconds add up over the course of a two or three hour game.  They should be able to let you "opt out" of the "status" bar, or choose to move it to the top where there is no score or time info.

Service Expert

just hit the up button to clear the progress bar

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

That works okay for the first thousand times or so, but it gets old.  

Service Expert

Do you have any other options?  Maybe another provider?

After almost three years of using X1, I've gotten used to its idiosyncrasies..

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

my transport bar never disappears on my screen... when I hit exit it exits the show I am watching.

The transport bar at the bottom of my screen is always there. I can't get rid of it. It also shows the wrong channel and not the show I am watching. It's really weird. Is this a setting that I can get rid of?

New Poster

how do i remove the bottom banner indicating live show -thjisa blocks the viewing screen

How do I switch off the bottom live shaow banner which blocks the bottom of the viewing area??

New Poster

Re: how do i remove the bottom banner indicating live show -thjisa blocks the viewing screen

I am having the exact same problem. We just got the new Comcast boxes and often when viewing a show the bottom banner that indicates the show (graphic image on the left) and the progress bar will not go away no matter what we do. Help!

Service Expert

Re: how do i remove the bottom banner indicating live show -thjisa blocks the viewing screen

CastroGuy wrote:

I am having the exact same problem. We just got the new Comcast boxes and often when viewing a show the bottom banner that indicates the show (graphic image on the left) and the progress bar will not go away no matter what we do. Help!

If the EXIT button nor the Up Arrow button remove this, press the BLue Power button to put the box into Power Save mode ( this does not turn off the box ) and them press againa after 3-4 seconds.  This should clear the progress bar.  ( It is a known bug at this time brought on by the last FW update ).

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

what do you do when hitting exit does not remove the progress bar at the bottom of the screen

what do you do when hitting exit does not remove the progress bar at the bottom of the screen

New Poster

Progress bar: live TV, DVR

The progress bar that shows up when you pause a show live, or in DVR, will not go away after a few seconds like normal. We have pushe exit, pushed up down left and right, pushed last... Nothing seems to make it go away. Please help!
New Poster

Re: what do you do when hitting exit does not remove the progress bar at the bottom of the screen

I'm having same problem that just started today.  The progress bar is referring to an unrelated channel and program.  Can't get rid of it. 

New Poster

Re: what do you do when hitting exit does not remove the progress bar at the bottom of the screen

Turn off the xfinity, wait a bit and turn back on. Should reset and be back to normal.
Service Expert

Re: Progress bar: live TV, DVR

I had to reboot my box to make it go away.  

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-reboot-my-set-top-box

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

We re having the same issue as well. We were recording shows at the time so waited to reboot the box. but then it interupted our shows. Rebooting the box did not help, nor did unplugging the box for 60 seconds.

As soon as we changed channel, it came up again. We are calling them now. Hopefully something can help. It is driving my husband batty!

New Poster

Exit button will not get rid of the progress bar at the bottom of the TV screen

This has just started today.  Usually when I change channels the information about the program and where it currently is shows up at the bottom of the screen but goes away.  Tonight it didn't and exit doesn't do anything.  How do I get rid of it????

New Poster

Re: Exit button will not get rid of the progress bar at the bottom of the TV screen

I am having the same issue... pushing the exit button does not remove the "info black bar" at the bottom of the screen.  After changing channels when I push the exit button it appears that it is closing the box but it is as if there is another box superimposed over the first one and the button acts similar to when you push the "Page UP" button to return to "live" tv.

New Poster

Am having the same "issue"... only thing that happens when you press "exit" is that what appears to be a superimposed image of the "black info bar" seems to close only to have another one "behind" it.  The exit button is currently functioning more like the "page up" button when you have rewinded a show in progress, you push "page UP" and it goes to live tv ( or moves ahead 5 mins.). 

Service Expert

Re: program info and timeline won't go away at bottom of screen

adrienml wrote:

there is a program photo, timeline, program name at the bottom of the screen blocking the bottom part of the display.  it won't disappear and pressing the Exit button doesn't help. i am watching regular TV.

the right side has the name of the program below the timeline and the right side has "DVR Bloomberg TV".

How did this happen and how do i make it go away?

You are describing the stuck progress bar issue wihtin the X1 platform.  You can manually enter power save mode from the power button or from within X1 settings and then exit Power Save and the progress bar should exit.  If that doesn't repair the issue, you can reboot the box and it will then disappear after the box comes back online.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Sarah1p31 wrote:
The progress bar that shows up when you pause a show live, or in DVR, will not go away after a few seconds like normal. We have pushe exit, pushed up down left and right, pushed last... Nothing seems to make it go away. Please help!

press power button on the set top box and release. wait 3 seconds and press and release again. This will put the set top box in power saver mode and back in regular mode (will not interrupt recordings in progress).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Re: Exit button will not get rid of the progress bar at the bottom of the TV screen

Rick1964 wrote:

I am having the same issue... pushing the exit button does not remove the "info black bar" at the bottom of the screen.  After changing channels when I push the exit button it appears that it is closing the box but it is as if there is another box superimposed over the first one and the button acts similar to when you push the "Page UP" button to return to "live" tv.

to fix this more or less permanently your firmware needs to be updated to 2.2p5 or later. Call 877-896-8678 and ask them to force the firmware update to your set top box(es).

to get rid of the stuck screen displays press the power button and release on the set top box, after 3 seconds, repeat. This will put the box in and take it out of power save mode and will not stop recordings in progress etc. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Turning the box off and back on worked! Tx
New Poster

Re: my transport bar never disappears on my screen... when I hit exit it exits the show I am watching.

I'm having the same issue. It's driving me nuts!! Did you ever get it resolved?

New Poster

"trailer" on bottom of screen

how do i eliminate the channel trailer/description on the bottom of my screen.  it used to appear for a few seconds when the selected channel came on but now it is there permanently

New Poster

How do you get to the settings? Mine did the same and then the menu completely froze to the point of a unplug reboot.
New Poster

We are experiencing the same issue.  Getting tired of having to reset the box for each different issue with this platform/device.  Is there a planned fix?  Frustrated!

New Poster

This bar is horrible!! I'm on DVR and it won't go away! I've now reset my box to attempt to put this bar to rest once and for all!! So annoying!!
Service Expert

Mine went away after rebooting and hasn't stuck since.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: "trailer" on bottom of screen

Just noticed I had the same issue so I did what always seems to work - hit restart. It worked! I clicked menu then went to Help then hit Restart under troubleshooting. Hope this works for you.
New Poster

Same thing happening on one TV .. Exit button will not get rid of progress bar. Just started 2/9.
Service Expert

I had to reboot my X1 box to make it go away.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Mellicat wrote:

We are experiencing the same issue.  Getting tired of having to reset the box for each different issue with this platform/device.  Is there a planned fix?  Frustrated!

you can just put it in powersave mode and back to regular mode to clear those intermittent issues.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: "trailer" on bottom of screen

We have been having the same issue for the last three days. The banner shows and doesn't go away and the time is always 4:00 AM. I had been unplugging the box and rebooting, thanks for the tip using the remote. Does anyone know why this is happening?

New Poster

Mine started doing this today too, and we do not use power save mode - when I checked that setting, it was already off - so to Comcast - the cause is something else.

Resetting the box did fix it, but wanted you know that power save isn't the cause, or, not the only cause anyway.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast has said they are aware of this issue and they are working on it.
Service Expert

Tazach wrote:

Mine started doing this today too, and we do not use power save mode - when I checked that setting, it was already off - so to Comcast - the cause is something else.

Resetting the box did fix it, but wanted you know that power save isn't the cause, or, not the only cause anyway.

putting it 'in' powersave resets it as does a reboot but the powersave cycle does not interrupt recordings.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Our TV is doing the same thing. I had to pull the power cord and reboot the box.  We had to do this three times tonight. Comcast please get this fixed or come get your crappy, costly equipment. 

Service Expert

Chanelcat wrote:

Our TV is doing the same thing. I had to pull the power cord and reboot the box.  We had to do this three times tonight. Comcast please get this fixed or come get your crappy, costly equipment. 

until firmware update happens the easy way to fix this is to put your set top box in power save mode for a few seconds and then back to live TV. Easy way is to press/release power button on the set top box and then after a few seconds press/release it again. when the set top box goes back to live tv the stuck window boxes will be gone. Thies will not stop the DVR recordings in progress.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

That worked for us. Best solution so far.

New Poster

He didn't claim the cause is power save mode, he said putting it in power save mode essentially reboots the box and clears up the issue.

I can confirm his hack worked for me.  Also it's better than a full reboot as it is much quicker.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More