Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

input button on x1 remote

New Poster

input button on x1 remote

Is there any way to change the TV input using the x1 remote? How can I switch from the cable input to my Xbox input without a second remote? Maybe I can reprogram the 'B' button? Or one of the power buttons?

Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

Sorry, no, the X1 remote isn't programmable (at least not to theat extent).  To control multiple devices, you'll be much happier with a real "universal" remote.  I personally use a Logitech Harmony 650, which is very easy to use to control my entire entertainment system. A single "activity" (like "Use Xbox") turns all the appropriate devices on with the proper settings. 

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

That's too bad. Hopefully comcast will fix this in future iterations. It can't be an uncommon request, and buying a universal remote seems like an expensive way to fix the problem. Especially since everyother remote I've seen for other companies allows for this....

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

Jefferson,

 

I completely agree, I have the same setup except I have a DVD player and a PS3 which I used to be able to switch to with the old remote but now I can't.  I hope Comcast figures this out as well.

Valued Contributor

Re: input button on x1 remote

The fact that neither the Comcast XR2 or XR5 remotes can control devices with codes in the 20000 range like the older remotes could doesn't appear to be a high priority to Comcast.  I couldn't beleive it!  I exchanged my XR2 P2 for an XR2 U2 and finally purchased an XR5 remote for $29.99 at store.comcast.com, each time expecting the new remote to accept 20000 series codes and each time being dissapointed when the new remote didn't.  I finally decided to join the crowd and purchase a Harmony 650 universal remote.  I couldn't be happier with it!  Finally, I am able to control my Sony SACD/DVD receiver as well as everthing else that I have.

 

The 650 brings you into the 21st century!  As a bonus, a motion sensor turns on backlighting!  You are guided on-line through the process of adding Devices to be controlled and then defining Activities.  It was a breeze!  The remote can "learn" new commands, if needed.  The remote keeps track of what's on and off and turns Devices on/off as needed when you switch Activities.  For example, my Activities are as follows: Watch TV, Watch Apple TV, Watch Google TV, Watch Movie, Watch DVD, Listen to CDs.  Listen to CDs doesn't require the TV to be on.  So, If I switch from Watch TV to Listen to CDs, the TV is turned off.  The Activity definitions include all input switching required.

 

I am so impressed that I ordered a second Harmony 650 for my son from Amazon.com for $59.99 as an Amazon Prime member and received it the next day!  I have thrown away my old Sony RM-AV3000 and RM-AV3100 universal remotes because neither was able to properly learn the XR2 IR commands needed to control the Xfinity X1 DVR.

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

I've heard lots of good things about the Harmony remotes - but does Comcast really expect its customers to pay 70 dollars to use their TV/BluRay/Game system appropriately? How hard would it be to add an extra button for the "input" funtion. It's not like there is no available space....

 

Anyway, thank you all for your input!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

Welcome to the forum jefferson414.

 

I don't think Comcast is EXPECTING anyone to go out and spend $70 on a remote. I would assume they would rather have that money. But they are FORCING people to do it. But you need to remember the XR2 is a cheap remote that Comcast gives away like lollipops. To this day, I am still amazed at the miracles people expect from the XR2...

 

It's not just the lack of an input button that makes the XR2 so lame. It can't do macros or "activities". You can't customize the locations of functions on buttons. It has extremely limited control of audio products and doesn't control AV receiver inputs. The volume and channel buttons on the top of the remote is very poor design.

 

Read what jehill as had to say. Nobody in this forum has tried to milk more from the XR2 remote than he has. He sounds like a pretty crafty and resourceful guy to me.  I suggested he buy a Harmony 650 to try it and return it if he didn't like it. He saw the light right away and is now promoting the 650 as I do.

 

Don't consider the money you would spend on a remote like the 650 as being a penalty. Think of it as a benefit to you and your family when the see how much easier things are to operate. Back in the mid 2000's I got tired of my family calling me at work all the time because they couldn't operate something. Harmony remotes solved that problem once and for all.

 


jefferson414 wrote:

I've heard lots of good things about the Harmony remotes - but does Comcast really expect its customers to pay 70 dollars to use their TV/BluRay/Game system appropriately? How hard would it be to add an extra button for the "input" function. It's not like there is no available space....

 

Anyway, thank you all for your input!




Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

I would assume they would rather have that money. But they are FORCING people to do it. But you need to remember the XR2 is a cheap remote that Comcast gives away like lollipops. To this day, I am still amazed at the miracles people expect from the XR2...

 

 

They had it on the "old" boxes/remotes but took it away for the new.  In my opinion thats why it's expected to be there.  I guess they expect us to never leave the X1 world.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

I read somewhere that one of the main design goals of X1 was to remove buttons from the remote and make the entire system easier to use. However in my opinion they with too far and the system is NOT intuitive. Users are forced to remember too many things. How is anyone supposed to know or remember the PAGE + button is the 30 second or 5 minute skip button? How would anyone know that from looking at the remote? How is anyone supposed to remember the DAY + function in the guide is the forward skip button. How are people supposed to remember what the C and D do when navigating the guide.

 

I sure wish Comcast would have consulted professionals in the audio/video industry such as myself when they were designing X1. We would have prevented these mistakes from happening.

 


obonaventure wrote:

 

They had it on the "old" boxes/remotes but took it away for the new.  In my opinion thats why it's expected to be there.  I guess they expect us to never leave the X1 world.




Regular Contributor

Re: input button on x1 remote


RickGr4 wrote:

How is anyone supposed to know or remember the PAGE + button is the 30 second or 5 minute skip button? How would anyone know that from looking at the remote? 




So true.  I only found that one out through these forums.

Regular Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

I just got the X1. The remote forces me to know have my tv remote at the ready to switch between devices where my 8 year old comcast remote did not. I cannot log on to use the apps. Cannot go back to last channel viewed. This is a not well planned. Comcast/Xfinity are there other remote options with this unit? The interface is cool, the usability is very, very uncool.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote


Lefty47 wrote:

I just got the X1. The remote forces me to know have my tv remote at the ready to switch between devices where my 8 year old comcast remote did not. I cannot log on to use the apps. Cannot go back to last channel viewed. This is a not well planned. Comcast/Xfinity are there other remote options with this unit? The interface is cool, the usability is very, very uncool.


Your XR2 remote can be programmed to turn your TV on and off as well as a receiver.  You can also adjust volume and mute.  The remote also has a "last" button which will display the last 9 channels watched.

 

Program your remote here - http://customer.comcast.com/remotes/

Official Employee

Re: input button on x1 remote

Lefty, were you able to link Facebook and pandora to your comcast acct. if not go here

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/microsites/x1platform

Click customize your experience
Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

Is this a joke? How does requiring two remotes make the process simpler than 1 remote.  I just moved and hadn't connected any of my other devices like Roku/Xbox/DVD player until today when I realized there was no input button.  Incredibly frustrating that Comcast would do this.  I will research this Logitech remote, but I'd rather not pay $60 for a remote.  Does anyone know if the Logitech remote requires line of sight?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

The X1 boxes can use both RF and IR. I would assume it would work with 3rd party remotes if you program it right.

 

But I read somewhere that Comcast chose to remove the input button because people didn't know how to use a TV and didn't understand the concept of inputs, and it was generating too many calls into the call centers from people that don't know how to use their TVs when they accidentially pressed the button and didn't know how to get it back to the correct input. So I suppose it puts the responsibility back on the customer to know how to use their TVs in that scenario. I guess you could say the input button was like a convienence button, just like how the volume and TV Power buttons, since they really didn't do anything Comcast-wise.

Valued Contributor

Re: input button on x1 remote


Alex17 wrote:

Does anyone know if the Logitech remote requires line of sight?


Yes, it's an IR remote.

Valued Contributor

Re: input button on x1 remote


John3758 wrote:

The X1 boxes can use both RF and IR. I would assume it would work with 3rd party remotes if you program it right.  Definitely!

 

But I read somewhere that Comcast chose to remove the input button because people didn't know how to use a TV and didn't understand the concept of inputs, and it was generating too many calls into the call centers from people that don't know how to use their TVs when they accidentally pressed the button and didn't know how to get it back to the correct input.  As a former Comcast TV/Internet/Phone call center employee, it wouldn't surprise me.   So I suppose it puts the responsibility back on the customer to know how to use their TVs in that scenario. I guess you could say the input button was like a convenience button, just like how the volume and TV Power buttons, since they really didn't do anything Comcast-wise.  You would be amazed at how often calls are received from customers that had their TV on but not the cable box and visa versa.  Keeping the cable box on eliminates that problem.  I suspect that only a small minority of customers ever figured out that they could use the AUX input to control their receiver's power, volume and mute functions.


 

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

If you change your input to anything other than cable they loose a chance to show you an ad or sell you more comcast.

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

I think the reason there is no input button is becuase comcast doesn't want us using other devices.  Would they rather you use their on demand to watch a movie or plop in a DVD on another smart device?  This wasn't an oversight.  This was a planned step to making it harder to use other devices in your living room.  

 

I bet over time they make a ton of money because lazy people would rather buy a movie from comcast than have to change the input to a different device.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

Then beat them at their own game and buy a real remote... I am absolutely lovin my three Harmony 900s...

 


bashonda wrote:

I think the reason there is no input button is becuase comcast doesn't want us using other devices.  Would they rather you use their on demand to watch a movie or plop in a DVD on another smart device?  This wasn't an oversight.  This was a planned step to making it harder to use other devices in your living room.  

 

I bet over time they make a ton of money because lazy people would rather buy a movie from comcast than have to change the input to a different device.




Expert

Re: input button on x1 remote


bashonda wrote:

I think the reason there is no input button is becuase comcast doesn't want us using other devices.  Would they rather you use their on demand to watch a movie or plop in a DVD on another smart device?  This wasn't an oversight.  This was a planned step to making it harder to use other devices in your living room.  

 

I bet over time they make a ton of money because lazy people would rather buy a movie from comcast than have to change the input to a different device.


I have no problem using my A/V receiver with Comcast, DVD player, SmartTV, and PS/3, other than having to use multiple remotes.  I decided against getting an adalpter for the PS/3.  

 

I think Comcast decided against trying to support a universal remote since Harmony is already out there.  It saves them a lot of money.

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

my new x1 satellite box does not allow me to get a signal on my input 3 on the tv- now i cannot record any shows or get a signal -the old dvr allowed me to go to input 3, get a signal, and record shows via my dvd recorder- does this x1 satellite not allow this? or can i put the dvd recorder on the main new x1?

 

To be clear, I used to be able to go to input 3 on old Comcast remote, pick any channel, and record that proram onto my DVD recorder- now with the x1 I cannot-

Appreciate a direct reply if possible- richtix@yahoo.com

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

thanks so much for the reply. I am not sure if this is what I need. I CAN use my mitsu remote to move the input button to input 3 so thats not the problem.  The problem is when I put the input to 3 now there is no signal as before with the old dvr it did pick up the signal and i was able to record anythng that was on the TV. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

Sorry, I was replying to the original topic of the thread.

 

Your issue sounds more like when the box was swapped out a different cable was used from the box to your devices. Maybe even bypassing the dvd recorder and connecting directly to the TV.

 

 

Valued Contributor

Re: input button on x1 remote


emcardad wrote:

thanks so much for the reply. I am not sure if this is what I need. I CAN use my mitsu remote to move the input button to input 3 so thats not the problem.  The problem is when I put the input to 3 now there is no signal as before with the old dvr it did pick up the signal and i was able to record anythng that was on the TV. 


What type input is "Input 3"?  Am I correct in assuming that it's a composite video input (yellow wire for video, red and white wires for audio)?

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

on the mitsubishi tv remote, I can click input button- it does to input 1, 2 or 3- i need to use input 2 say for when i want to record footage from the camcorder as well as a regular DVD and then i need input 3 to record shows on that signal ( with the old xfinity dvr)

at this time the input is on input 1 to watch dvr

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

this is unbelievable that you can't change the TV input with this new remote. So disappointing and frustrating to see Comcast downgrade its products (the last remote could!!!!), and degrade customer experience even more!!!

Expert

Re: input button on x1 remote


cyril1659 wrote:

this is unbelievable that you can't change the TV input with this new remote. So disappointing and frustrating to see Comcast downgrade its products (the last remote could!!!!), and degrade customer experience even more!!!


to quote another contributor, in the end, it is just a DVR. Harmony and others like Logitech make universal remotes that (try) to do all that and support their device. Even Sams Club carries the Harmony 650 so must be a very good solution 'for cheap'.

Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

In the end it is just a DVR....

You really can't blame Comcast , they are a for profit company. The Input button was removed for two very good reasons. First it caused lots of trouble shooting issue via phone and tech visits. Also if you change the input that means you are moving to a device that they can't make money from..

You can purchase a remote from Comcast that has the button on it or use your old Comcast remote after you unlock it..
Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

Please look into this remote for your Input buttons needs

 

http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote/detail.php?p=628532&v=comcast_accessories

 

 

Jefferson, if one of these posts was helpful to you, select it as a solution!

 




Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

Since you posted this response my inbox has been in inundated with emails 45 today. It says bad address please delete me from this thread as its killing my email. I unsubscribed but not sure what the heck this madness is?

Expert

Re: input button on x1 remote


Lefty47 wrote:

Since you posted this response my inbox has been in inundated with emails 45 today. It says bad address please delete me from this thread as its killing my email. I unsubscribed but not sure what the heck this madness is?


You can do that yourself in your Forum My SETTINGS area...  COMcast should not have to go and set-up your Forum preferences///// They have MUCH MORE important things to work on....

 

Just my 2 cents,

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

Just switched from Verizon FioS to the Xfinity X1. Some immediate dissapointments: 1. Big black screen switching between channels is really annoying. 2. No "Input" button on the remote. 3. Can add Favs, but no option to channel switch ONLY Favs, or switch between ONLY HD channels.  These seem like minor issues that could be easily fixed with a small software update .

Gold Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote


krupaj1 wrote:


Just switched from Verizon FioS to the Xfinity X1. Some immediate dissapointments: 1. Big black screen switching between channels is really annoying. What other color would you rather have besides black? This is how most digital video devices change channels. I suspect it is normal.  2. No "Input" button on the remote. Comcast has optional remotes available with input buttons or you could always buy a 3rd party remote. You can always use the old silver remote.  3. Can add Favs, but no option to channel switch ONLY Favs, or switch between ONLY HD channels. Yes you can select from only FAVS. Press guide twice then scroll right to the STAR. Your setting will stick for 90 minutes.   These seem like minor issues that could be easily fixed with a small software update . Maybe so but you could also take some time to learn the product...




 

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

Thanks for the quick reply, but your instructions for surfing ONLY favs didn't work -- just displays favs in the guide. Also, I don't have a color preference for the screen when switching between channels, just suggesting that it would make for a smoother viewing experience without any color/delay between channels. As for the "Premium" remote, I wish this option was made available for purchase when I was in the store ordering the service, because it's going to make the viewing experience much smoother for me when switching between devices -- will order one online. Thanks again for the responses! 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote

Before you spend any of your hard earned money on an optional Comcast remote, take some time to learn what is available in 3rd party remotes. They usually have far more capabilities. The only time I ever use a Comcast remote with my X1 boxes is to test other peoples complaints.


krupaj1 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, but your instructions for surfing ONLY favs didn't work -- just displays favs in the guide. Also, I don't have a color preference for the screen when switching between channels, just suggesting that it would make for a smoother viewing experience without any color/delay between channels. As for the "Premium" remote, I wish this option was made available for purchase when I was in the store ordering the service, because it's going to make the viewing experience much smoother for me when switching between devices -- will order one online. Thanks again for the responses! 




 

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

Why can't we trade in the ones we originally recieved for these?

 

http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote-single/detail.php?p=628532

Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote


JerryandCheri wrote:

Why can't we trade in the ones we originally recieved for these?

 

http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote-single/detail.php?p=628532


Don't buy it! There is a newer one coming out real soon with voice control built in! It is being beta tested right now, and the reports I am getting is very positive!

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

Um, there is a button to change the input (go from watching cable to dvd, or gaming system, or whatever)... Push the "tv" button, then push the "tv/vcr" button (which also says "input").
Problem Solver

Re: input button on x1 remote


Lynise_c wrote:
Um, there is a button to change the input (go from watching cable to dvd, or gaming system, or whatever)... Push the "tv" button, then push the "tv/vcr" button (which also says "input").

The standard X1 remotes do not have a input button! What remote are you using?

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

So I read all these Post no help at all. Decided to play with my remote. I already had it programmed for my TV So once I pushed TV on the remote I found that pressing the up or down arrow change the input source... I don't know about the rest of the people on here maybe they should have Played with the remote before they went and bought a $70 1... I don't know much about computers TVs remotes... JUST I.B.E.W SAN JOSE 332 ELECTRICIAN
Valued Contributor

Re: input button on x1 remote

I like the feature on the remote where you can change it to operate the box behind a closed cabinet door.

 

Also, anyone know the code for the X1 remote in order to teach a Sony remote to operate the cable box?

New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

After reading all this garbage. Saying you can't change input with remote I decided to just play with mine. I already had it programmed to my TV for volume So I pressed TV And then just started pressing different buttons.. And found that the up and down arrow In the center of the remote Change the input Not me up or down page arrows But the up or down and left and right arrows Right around OK button
New Poster

Re: input button on x1 remote

NEW REMOTE IS HERE!  There is a new "upgraded" remote for X1 system that has a TV input button.  You have to call and request it.  They will send one free. After that they cost around $35.00  They are not stocked in the Comcast stores.

Frequent Visitor

Re: input button on x1 remote

am I missing something here ?   My X1 remote (labled on the back as xr5 v4-u) works fine to control the TV input ... every time I push the TV INPUT button on the remote, the TV switches to the next input ... it works great  ... am I misunderstanding the question ?

Expert

Re: input button on x1 remote


DJbigJack wrote:

am I missing something here ?   My X1 remote (labled on the back as xr5 v4-u) works fine to control the TV input ... every time I push the TV INPUT button on the remote, the TV switches to the next input ... it works great  ... am I misunderstanding the question ?


Some remotes doen't have an input button?

 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-get-to-know-the-xr2-and-xr5-remote