Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

how to choose which output resolution?

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

how to choose which output resolution?

Hi,  I just bought a Samsung UN40F6300 LED tv with 1080 120 .  I am using the X1 DVR and need help with choosing the output resolution.

My choices are

4:3 480i SD

4:3 480p SD

16:9 720p HD

16:9 1080i HD

16:9 1080p30 HD

16:9 1080p60 HD

I am assuming I should choose one of the 16:9 choices and I also think I should choose one of the 1080 choices.

I used my comcast remote to go in and choose 16:9 1080p60 HD and it loaded and then I had sound, but no picture.  I had to press exit 3 times and then I can see the picture, which came back 1/3 the size of the screen.  

I would really appreciate help in choose the correct set up.  I called comcast twice, was transferred 3 times and no one knew how to help me know what to choose, or how to find out which to choose.

Any suggestion?

Michelle

Accepted Solution

Re: how to choose which output resolution?

There are different schools of thought on this. Some people say "native" resolution is best meaning if the channel broadcasts in 720p the TV will look best on 720p and if the channel broadcasts in 1080i then the TV should be set to 1080i. Another school of thought it to set everything to it's highest level that will work which in your case is 1080p. I have an older Panasonic plasma that was made before 1080p existed so I set it to 1080i.

It won't hurt anything to sample all of the settings and see if you notice a difference. On the other hand your new TV isn't very big and depending upon how far away you view it from, you may not notice any difference between 720p, 1080i or 1080p. If you view it from roughly 8 feet away or more I doubt you would notice any difference. I would probably set it to 1080p60 and call it a day.

If you change settings and lose your picture simply power cycle both the cable box and TV. That should fix it for you.

Rick G. in MSP

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

1080p60 for that type of display

Official Employee

Comcast doesn't broadcast anything in 1080p, obviously the 1080 p isn't working for you so try the 1080i

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

There are different schools of thought on this. Some people say "native" resolution is best meaning if the channel broadcasts in 720p the TV will look best on 720p and if the channel broadcasts in 1080i then the TV should be set to 1080i. Another school of thought it to set everything to it's highest level that will work which in your case is 1080p. I have an older Panasonic plasma that was made before 1080p existed so I set it to 1080i.

It won't hurt anything to sample all of the settings and see if you notice a difference. On the other hand your new TV isn't very big and depending upon how far away you view it from, you may not notice any difference between 720p, 1080i or 1080p. If you view it from roughly 8 feet away or more I doubt you would notice any difference. I would probably set it to 1080p60 and call it a day.

If you change settings and lose your picture simply power cycle both the cable box and TV. That should fix it for you.

Rick G. in MSP

Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I've remembered how to get the picture back so I've been playing.  All of them are now delivering a picture.. not sure why it didn't but the same thing happened when I set up my 32" tv.  

I appreciate everyone's time and willingess to share wisdom.

Michelle

Regular Contributor

I have requested they put a "Native" setting on these STB's.  I always used it on my last STB.

Gold Problem Solver

The problem with Native mode is your TV needs a second or two to adjust to the new resolution setting after a channel change. It makes channel changes slightly slower. Given a choice, I have found most people would rather have faster channel changes than the potential of a microscopically better picture. Again it's all about screen size and viewing distance.

Gov0525 wrote:

I have requested they put a "Native" setting on these STB's.  I always used it on my last STB.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation