Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

changing channels causes double tuning of channel

Frequent Visitor

changing channels causes double tuning of channel

When I change channels on my X1 the new channel tunes in twice.  The first time is normal: the screen goes mostly black except for the channel logo and a progress bar. Then after a second or two the new channel tunes in.  So far so good.  Then anywhere from two to ten seconds later it happens again. The sound goes off and the channel re-tunes - very aggravating.  To fix the problem I have done a power reset by pulling the AC plug, a program "Restart" and a program "System Refresh".  All three fixes fixed the problem till the next day when the problem came back.  Any ideas?

New Poster

Re: changing channels causes double tuning of channel

I've got the same issue. Just got a new box today. Any permanent fix?
New Poster

Same problem as well, very annoying!

Official Employee

Hello All. Since you have tried to power-cycle the box and the double channel tuning issue is still occurring, these issues could be the result of poor RF/MOCA signal in your homes. I will need to perform diagnostics tests on the X1 box to confirm. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Service Expert

ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hello All. Since you have tried to power-cycle the box and the double channel tuning issue is still occurring, these issues could be the result of poor RF/MOCA signal in your homes. I will need to perform diagnostics tests on the X1 box to confirm. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist. 

my rf MoCa is fine in mater bath XG2 but it does the same thing if left on for hours without changing the channel. any attempt to rewind and the screen freezes, then starts 'playing agin' but there is no buffer at all. Since the buffer is on the device and inactivated after some hours of no input via the remote or perhaps after overnight reboot, it hardly seems possible that the XG2 would need MoCa communication at all for a TSB (time-shift-buffer) rewind of live TV when that same channel has been playing for hours in real time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Official Employee

While you may be correct that this may not be a result of MOCA communication, the root cause of poor performance in the XG2 box, could be related to poor data communication as a result of bad RF signal. Issues with channel loading or latency usually are related to the box not receiving a good enough RF signal. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert

ComcastJoeTru wrote:

While you may be correct that this may not be a result of MOCA communication, the root cause of poor performance in the XG2 box, could be related to poor data communication as a result of bad RF signal. Issues with channel loading or latency usually are related to the box not receiving a good enough RF signal. 

the XG2 firmware only seems to deactivate the TSB after overnight reboot. I've tested after +12 hours when I access the TSB in the morning and then hit exit to go live the TSB buffer works well through the rest of the day and repeats the issue after overnight managed Comcast reboot. something in the reboot is not activating the TSB buffer routine.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

It's been a month and I still have the same problem.  Every morning changing channels causes a double tuning.  Every morning I do a "Restart" and that fixes the problem till the next morning.  Something is messing up my cable box every night.

Service Expert

Germantown07 wrote:

It's been a month and I still have the same problem.  Every morning changing channels causes a double tuning.  Every morning I do a "Restart" and that fixes the problem till the next morning.  Something is messing up my cable box every night.

If I had that issue, I would schedule a tech visit to see if they could find the cause.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Hi Germantown07. Sorry for the experience you're having. It sounds like some sort of rf issues. Can you please following the steps below to see if this helps with the double tuning issue?

Using your X1 remote,

1.) Press and hold the Setup button until the light changes from red to green

2.) Press 9-8-7. 

Retest, or see if you can duplicate the problem you were having before and let me know if this helped. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Press the setup and entering 987 appears to have corrected my problem.  I noticed this morning when I pressed the numbers on the remote, I would get 22, instead of just a 2.  Pressing guide would take me two screens further instead of just to the guide.  Odd that it just mysteriously started.  Now if you could fix my sports channel hd pixelation problems that would be great.  Going to guess a tech visit is going to be necessary for that one

Hopefully this resolved the issue, but tomorrow is another day.

Official Employee

I'm glad to know this helped you for now. If you see the issue arise again, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Also, do you have a surround sound system or any stainless steel appliances around the box you are having this issue with? Sometimes those devices will interfere with the RF and cause the latency issues you were experiencing. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I tried it, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.  I still have to do a "Restart" every morning to correct the double tuning problem.

Regular Contributor

I get that once a week or so and I unplug my boxes and let them reset. Takes about 3-4 minutes before they are ready to go again but it usually works. Kind of a pain, maybe next time I will do the 987 thing

New Poster

I followed the instruction for this problem that was hold setup button until it turned green the hit 987. All this did was totally lock up my remote. The only think I can do now is turn the TV off and on. Nothing else works. 

New Poster

Has anyone found a permanent solution to this problem? I recently started having this issue, and nothing suggested in this thread has worked.

Frequent Visitor

The only permanent fix would be for Comcast to fix the software.  And the chances of that are somewhere around zero.  You could turn in your box for a “new” one.  But think about this:  After you turn in your old box, Comcast would power it up, test it, and see that it works perfectly and put it back on the shelf.  Which means the “new” box you get is probably a recycled box and you will end up with the same problem. 

There are three ways to temporally fix the box:  1. Power cycle, 2. do a “System Refresh”, or do a “Restart”.  A “Restart” is the quickest.  Just press the A button and select “Restart”, takes about 3 to 4 minutes.  Problem is that every night Comcast does a reload that causes the problem to reappear.

Frequent Visitor

I'm also having the same issue and it just started doing this a few days ago. This must be a Comcast upgrade that has gone bad and needs a patch fix.

New Poster

I just started having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

New Poster

I'm having the same problem. I reset the tv last week which solved the problem for about a week. Now it is doing it again.
New Poster

Same issue here - but with only 1 of the 2 X1 boxes in the house. Just started 3 days ago and there have been zero changes to the physical environment.  Comcast definitely needs to address this issue that is affecting multiple customers.

Frequent Visitor

Why doesn't Comcast do something about this issue? ..........."I don't get the silence about this problem."

Service Expert

bmorring wrote:

Why doesn't Comcast do something about this issue? ..........."I don't get the silence about this problem."

Try getting a replacement box; yours could be defective.  I just called 1800comcast and asked for an agent; they scheduled a tech visit to install a new DVR that was ruined by Hurricane Harvey.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This has just begun to happen to me as well only on my secondary dvr box. Very annoying considering I just spent the last 3 weeks back and forth with multiple tech visits to fix a pixelation issue that needed a level two tech to diagnose. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do other than change the box? I'm hoping this is a bug that maybe can be fixed from Comcast's end but I'm not holding my breath.
New Poster

Did this resolve the issue cause my tv is doing the dame2
Frequent Visitor

I’m not following you.  Did what fix the problem?  I am not aware of any fix.

New Poster

Same problem for me on one of our two X1 devices. Spent an hour online with a tech and they just reset the box (like I have over and over). It has resolved the issue, but from experience I expect the problem will be back tomorrow.

New Poster

Same problem here. I believe this behavior started about a week ago -- worked fine before then.

Frequent Visitor

nachoport wrote:

Same problem for me on one of our two X1 devices. Spent an hour online with a tech and they just reset the box (like I have over and over). It has resolved the issue, but from experience I expect the problem will be back tomorrow.

I told them that to unplug the box from the wall or just doing a restart will solve the issue for a while but soon it's doing the same thing again. Each time you must do a restart to get it to stop double tuning. But all they did was get me to unplug the box....."Wait 15 seconds and plug it back in." Then they said did that solve the issue......"Of course it did,I told you it would." 

Either there is a defect in some of the X1 Boxes or a filmware upgrade needs to be patched. It appears to me that too many people are having the same issue.

Service Expert

bmorring wrote:

nachoport wrote:

I told them that to unplug the box from the wall or just doing a restart will solve the issue for a while but soon it's doing the same thing again. Each time you must do a restart to get it to stop double tuning. But all they did was get me to unplug the box....."Wait 15 seconds and plug it back in." Then they said did that solve the issue......"Of course it did,I told you it would." 

Either there is a defect in some of the X1 Boxes or a filmware upgrade needs to be patched. It appears to me that too many people are having the same issue.

which model set top box is that happening for you? (my xg2 does it)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Auto-tune to HD is an issue sometimes.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Our system has been doing it to. Change the channel and 2 to 10 seconds later it re-tunes, whether it is auto tuning to HD or the signal is readjusting I'm not sure but it is annoying.
New Poster

I also have this issue... restarting only temporarily fixes it until the next day. 987 on the remote did not help.

What do I do to fix this?
Highlighted
Service Expert

Is the STB in a closed cabinet?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

ComcastChe wrote:

Hi Germantown07. Sorry for the experience you're having. It sounds like some sort of rf issues. Can you please following the steps below to see if this helps with the double tuning issue?

Using your X1 remote,

2.) Press 9

Retest, or see if you can duplicate the problem you were having before and let me know if this helped. 

ComcastChe wrote:

Using your X1 remote,

2.) Press 9-8-7. 

I've been having this issue also, so I tried the 987 fix. It works, but only until the next day, when I'm back to the issue again. Even worse, each time I do it I have to pair the remote with my amp again to fix the volume control.

From the posts, it seems this all started occurring about the same time. So for the suggestions to set up a tech visit for a new box, what's to say it won't just start up again? It seems to be a system issue, not a box issue IMO. Just think of the thousands of others experiencing this that don't know about these forums (which I just found about recently myself).

New Poster

This happens every time I change channels. It never happened until I was given a new box last month by a Comcast technician who came to the house. Is the new box faulty?

Service Expert

jilldizio wrote:

This happens every time I change channels. It never happened until I was given a new box last month by a Comcast technician who came to the house. Is the new box faulty?

it only happens to me on my XG2 and then only after the overnight reboot and first attempt to pause live tv.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I resolved this issue by doing a system refresh. Press the A button then System Refresh. Took a little more than 10 minutes and the issue seems to be gone 

Frequent Visitor

The problem is NOT solved.  Doing a reset or a restart or a power cycle only fixes the problem for a day. The problem returns the next day after Comcast does a reload or whatever during the night (most nights).

Service Expert

Germantown07 wrote:

The problem is NOT solved.  Doing a reset or a restart or a power cycle only fixes the problem for a day. The problem returns the next day after Comcast does a reload or whatever during the night (most nights).

Which X1 box do you have?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

I only have xg1's and an xg2 and see that happen regularly on the mostly idle xg2. To me it looks like the box 'changes' tuners or that the 'effect we see' is the recording function for time shift viewing 'starting up'. all my boxes are on 08/25 2.12p4s1 firmware still

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy wrote:

Germantown07 wrote:

Which X1 box do you have?

The only thing written on the front of the box is:  XG1-P

Frequent Visitor

Botanaka1970 wrote:

I resolved this issue by doing a system refresh. Press the A button then System Refresh. Took a little more than 10 minutes and the issue seems to be gone 

This topic is listed as SOLVED.  How did that happen? It's not solved and how can this topic be relisted as "not solved"?

Service Expert

Germantown07 wrote:

Botanaka1970 wrote:

This topic is listed as SOLVED.  How did that happen? It's not solved and how can this topic be relisted as "not solved"?

the OP (original post author) (first post) marked it solved.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

Germantown07 wrote:

Botanaka1970 wrote:

I'm the original author.  I didn't mark it solved.  Is there any way for me to "un-mark it"?

Service Expert

Germantown07 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Germantown07 wrote:

Botanaka1970 wrote:

I'm the original author.  I didn't mark it solved.  Is there any way for me to "un-mark it"?

does the box 'solved' uncheck for you? I have no power to unmark the solution (perhaps try it on your post and on the solution's post).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Rustyben, topic is now an open topic again!

Frequent Visitor

I’ve had this same problem off and on for a little more than a month. At the same time i check signal strength. When it’s double tuning on various channels, the signal strength reads unknown. Refreshed s.strength reads unknown again. Refreshing sytem appears to fix temporarily. Trying system refresh now.

Frequent Visitor

Well, system refresh does not seem to work. Black screen for 15 mins. Unplugged and replugged, booted,seems to have fixed double tune for now, but cable strength still reads check signal , then reads after checking, unknown “unfortunately we cannot detect.........” .

Service Expert

Pat76 wrote:

Well, system refresh does not seem to work. Black screen for 15 mins. Unplugged and replugged, booted,seems to have fixed double tune for now, but cable strength still reads check signal , then reads after checking, unknown “unfortunately we cannot detect.........” 

hi, is your set top box model number xg2 ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon