Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

changing batteries in a xr5 remote

New Poster

changing batteries in a xr5 remote

How do I get the remote open to change the batteries in my XR5 remote.

Expert

Re: changing batteries in a xr5 remote

rizouli wrote:

How the &%#* do I get the remote open to change the %#*& batteries in my XR5 remote.

You can check the battery level here for future reference:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/remote-check-the-battery-power-of-the-xr2-or-x...

Back of Xr5, push down on the bottom...  should slide open to reveal the battery compartment.

New Poster

Be more specific. Can't push down and doesn't slide!
New Poster

OMG I have the same question! I cannot figure out how to open the remote up. The bottom doesn't slide off. I'm dying here! Can anyone help? It's the XR5 model.

Expert

The bottom WILL slide down.  You just have to be persistent.

Use the tab on the back and press in and down - gently but firmly.

New Poster

OMG you are right...who knew? Seemed impossible. But it did open...pressing "firmly" is an understatement! LOL Thank you

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmm,

There is a line molded into the plastic where you need to press down then push the door. Sorry but it's not hard to do. I just did in the dark without looking. You can feel the line where you need to press down and push.

You do realize the door is on the back of the remote???

peddic wrote:

OMG I have the same question! I cannot figure out how to open the remote up. The bottom doesn't slide off. I'm dying here! Can anyone help? It's the XR5 model.

New Poster

Why does it seem that every new electronic device is purposely designed to make fools out of older people? Thanks RickGr4, your explanation worked!

New Poster

Thanks so much.  I was chipping away my nails.

New Poster

thanks  so much!!!

New Poster

Thank you! Yes. Just push down on the line on the back cover. It's not that hard when you know what to do.
Regular Visitor

Would it be too much trouble for Comcast Engineers to print the words "Push Here to Slide Off Battery Cover" on the back of the remote near the "magic line"? There should not have to be a forum to discuss how to remove a battery cover if Comcast would exercise some common sense. Just because some folks think "it's easy, just be persistant" doesn't excuse Comcast for it's poor design features. Some people think Rubik's cube is easy. Many others do not.

Visitor

I pushed down on the line at the bottom of the back of the remote while trying to slide it downward and it will not budge. I need to change the battery,. Any suggestions?

Expert

There is a raised tab on the back of the remote.  Push down towards the end of the remote to slide it out.

New Poster

Thanks.  I couldn't get it to open, so I pushed hard and then it did.

It was stuck because the batteries leaked.

No wonder......

Official Employee

Anon497174 wrote:

Thanks.  I couldn't get it to open, so I pushed hard and then it did.

It was stuck because the batteries leaked.

No wonder......

Apologies. You can obtain a replacement remote control at no charge by stopping by one of the service centers listed below or let me know and I can get one shipped to you.

12645 Stone Ave N

Seattle, WA 98133

MONDAY-SATURDAY: 9:00am-7:00pm
SUNDAY: 12:00pm-4:00pm

2202 Westlake Ave

Seattle, WA 98121

3105 Alderwood Mall Boulevard, Suite Q

Lynnwood, WA 98036

New Poster

The more explicit "pressing down firmly" on the raised slot did it at last! Why don't they print that on the remote??

Expert

CURious156 wrote:

The more explicit "pressing down firmly" on the raised slot did it at last! Why don't they print that on the remote??

My only guess is that it is much easier after the first time the cover is removed.

New Poster

Me too. Stupid industrial design people. I hate this remote in sooo many ways.
New Poster

I'm not an older person and I couldn't figure it out either. An arrow or something would have been helpful.
New Poster

Totally agree!!! Bad human engineering here and not just on the battery cover.
Expert

1+ Year Old Topic now Closed