Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

can't connect ... RDK-03030 after power cycle and no appointment until Thursday?

Regular Contributor

can't connect ... RDK-03030 after power cycle and no appointment until Thursday?

Wow - color me frustrated.  Service activated May 12 ... all brand new install with the X1.  Working good for 3 weeks, then yesterday, turned on TV and only the channel we were watching when last turned off was working... any attempt to change channels, use the guide, hit the Xfinity magic button resulted in an error.  Power cycled per instructions, and now not even the one channel works - just goes to a burgundy screen with an error in the bottom right hand corner (with a lot of words on the screen claiming it's temporary, try power cycling, etc.)  The error is RDK-03030 which doesn't show up in the search here nor on Google... 

The worst part?  They can't get a service tech here until Thursday... this is Sunday!  Crazy.... Going to try a PM to the guy that got my DVR manager problem fixed, but I'm thinking before the 30 days ends (hmmm, that's when the tech can get here, on the 30th day...) I may be cancelling and going DirecT.

What a mess.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: can't connect ... RDK-03030 after power cycle and no appointment until Thursday?

RDK error messages usually mean your X1 box cannot communicate with a server somewhere out in Comcastland.

They usually fix themselves within a day. Try be patient...

mohoelx wrote:

Wow - color me frustrated.  Service activated May 12 ... all brand new install with the X1.  Working good for 3 weeks, then yesterday, turned on TV and only the channel we were watching when last turned off was working... any attempt to change channels, use the guide, hit the Xfinity magic button resulted in an error.  Power cycled per instructions, and now not even the one channel works - just goes to a burgundy screen with an error in the bottom right hand corner (with a lot of words on the screen claiming it's temporary, try power cycling, etc.)  The error is RDK-03030 which doesn't show up in the search here nor on Google... 

The worst part?  They can't get a service tech here until Thursday... this is Sunday!  Crazy.... Going to try a PM to the guy that got my DVR manager problem fixed, but I'm thinking before the 30 days ends (hmmm, that's when the tech can get here, on the 30th day...) I may be cancelling and going DirecT.

What a mess.

Problem Solver

Re: can't connect ... RDK-03030 after power cycle and no appointment until Thursday?

mohoelx wrote:

What a mess.

Given that nothing has changed on your end  (rats chewing the wire) this should not take that long to be fixed. If the your box can't see the cloud than the cloud cant see your box. also knowing that your tuner is still getting signal leads me to believe that they are doing maintenance on the system in your area. this happens to about once a week in my area and it sometimes is just about an hour. good luck

Official Employee

That is a server communication error. I know you did it already but power cycle again and if you still get the error call 877-896-8678

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Well, after calling in yesterday and getting a Thursday service appointment, I got a call back from yet another (although more technical sounding) person who did "some things" then ended the call saying the tech would have to resolve it on Thursday.

Well, some 30 minutes-ish later, the TV in the othe room started workng (forgot I had left it on) and sure enough, the DVR was working again also.  Woo,hoo?  Well, not so much.

This morning, I turned it on just to see, and was back to the RDK-03030 error.

First, what kind of "service" does anyone find acceptable to be out "a day or so" whenever....?  It's not a life/death service, but would I be kept as a customer if I paid as erratically as the service is provided?

This is unbelievable!  

Service Expert

mohoelx wrote:

Well, after calling in yesterday and getting a Thursday service appointment, I got a call back from yet another (although more technical sounding) person who did "some things" then ended the call saying the tech would have to resolve it on Thursday.

Well, some 30 minutes-ish later, the TV in the othe room started workng (forgot I had left it on) and sure enough, the DVR was working again also.  Woo,hoo?  Well, not so much.

This morning, I turned it on just to see, and was back to the RDK-03030 error.

First, what kind of "service" does anyone find acceptable to be out "a day or so" whenever....?  It's not a life/death service, but would I be kept as a customer if I paid as erratically as the service is provided?

This is unbelievable!  

More than likely, this is a signal issue.... and not just what is coming downstream, signal issues can be wide and varied and have MUCH to do with X1 enjoyment....  from wallplates, connectors, hidden splitters, bad splitters, amp's, no amp, etc etc etc...   

It is in your best interest to give the Service Tech a chance to identify and repair those issues...

Just my 2 cents....

Good luck!

-=Geek=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

By the way, in case anyone is keeping score, the power cycle did NOT change anything this morning, except my blood pressure!  Getting quite "worked up" watching those three dots on the screen that declares "Welcome to the X1 Platform - Connecting to your entertainment experience" 

The experience of watching 3 dots blink is NOT very satisfying!  And certainly NOT worth upwards of $100 each month!

Service Expert

mohoelx wrote:

By the way, in case anyone is keeping score, the power cycle did NOT change anything this morning, except my blood pressure!  Getting quite "worked up" watching those three dots on the screen that declares "Welcome to the X1 Platform - Connecting to your entertainment experience" 

The experience of watching 3 dots blink is NOT very satisfying!  And certainly NOT worth upwards of $100 each month!

Again.... wait for the tech to visit and find/repair your issues.... X1 needs signal integrity more so than regular cable....  so many factors, so many ways to prevent you from enjoying the X1 experience...

Just be patient...  only a service visit will fix this.

Been in your shoes with the same frustration level...  it's worth it in the long run...

I love my X1 now!!!  Can't figure out why it took thislong to get there!!!  <VBG>

-=Geek=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Geek, I'd be more confident if it were not for the fact that this is a BRAND NEW install (5/12) and had been working without (at least any observed) issues for 3 weeks, then all of a suddent, BOOM...  I don't know what they think a tech can see from here that he didn't see 3 weeks ago....

Problem Solver

mohoelx wrote:

Geek, I'd be more confident if it were not for the fact that this is a BRAND NEW install (5/12) and had been working without (at least any observed) issues for 3 weeks, then all of a suddent, BOOM...  I don't know what they think a tech can see from here that he didn't see 3 weeks ago....

mohoelx wrote:

If you get a good tech out there they can see allot of stuff the other person didn't. Again like I said they are doing something in the system and it will come back. If you are down than others are down as well on your node. You have an appointment keep it just in case I am wrong here. I don't think I am on this one. BTW did you call back like Andrew had advised you to do.

Service Expert

mohoelx wrote:

A lot of things happen "behind the scenes" that you may not be aware of...  load balancing, new wiring, node issues, local problems, rodents....etc...   My problems occurred 3 weeks after install and I thought I was happy too....  

By reading these forums, and seeing what others had experienced I found that I needed to re-wire 2 drops in my home with newer RG-6 and newer fittings, and to add a 120volt outlet and use a 12 inch cable to power the Zero-Loss amplifier  in the attic...   Found that using 100 feet of old RG-59 to remotely power the amplifier via that old cable was not getting the job done!!!

Now I have GREAT signal levels as viewed from the DVR and all 4 STB's in the house....(System Diagnostics is a WONDERFUL Tool).  I  have no issues, play-back is immediate, no sound synch problems, no other issues  ( well, maybe one...  an update rolled back did not fully install and HUNG my MBR STB but 2 power cycles FIXED that issue quickly! )

X1 isn't your cable experience from the 90s.... it isn't just a wire connected and Bingo, it works...   many things have changed and unfortunately with technology advances, more things can now go wrong...  best way I can put it.

Rest assured, you will be happier beyond belief once the issues are taken care...  I was.

Good luck!

-=Geek=-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

....And it's back on again.  Left the house for several hours, came home (i.e.; nobody there, nothing happening on my end) and it was back on when I turned on the TV just to see....

Agreed it's not the same cable experience from the 90's.  However, I have yet to see anything all that unique and different on my end.  Certainly not the channel line-up - still trying to make sense out of that! 

I guess I'm just a spoiled TV consumer.  Had U-Verse for several years prior to moving to a non-U-Verse area and I could count on one hand the number of service disruptions, and when I had a problem, AT&T didn't tell me it all looked good from their end....  Apart from the initial install, I never had another tech out for any reason, in spite of 1) replacing a DVR, 2) adding and then subsequently removing TV's and other features, 3) moving devices around inside the home.  Sorry to say, U-Verse is not even a future hope at the new location. 

Starting to take heat from the family, and frankly, I've not seen enough to be convinced that Comcast is worth defending.  If service is out because they are doing something on the network side, they should be able to tell me that when I call, and should be able to give me a realistic estimate of return of service.  If it really is something that is hit-n-miss based on their install, I shouldn't have to wait nearly a week to get a tech out to look at, and attempt to fix it.

Who would tolerate that if their internet service or cell service was not working, and the provider said "we can deal with it in 5 days"....?

Just an opinion about the concept of providing "service".  

Regular Contributor

Well, I think this may be the end... Yesterday, received a call from Level 2 support who stated they found "interference" on my account, had fixed it, and asked me to check the TV.  Sure 'nuf, it was working... and remained working thorughout the evening.  They had asked that since they found the problem and removed it, and TV was working should they cancel the servcie call?  Seemed reasonable to me.

Then this morning, back to the original symptom RDK-03033 - meaning the channel that was broadcasting when I turned off the TV last night is stil broadcasting, but any attempt to change channels, or use any other feature (guide, Xfinity button, etc.) results in error that it can't connect to the X1 service.  Power cycle anyone?  I think I'll hold off since at least I get ESPN right now.

Wow - this really ISN'T your cable experience from the 90's - back then I got more than 1 channel!

And worst, I'll bet it will be Tuesday next week before we can get rescheduled now, since I let them cancel what appeared to be an unnecessary service call....

When they said they found the problem and fixed it, I (foolishly?) believed them.  I suspect when my wife wakes up, we'll e cancelling ... unfortunately, being at work, I can take five minutes to write this post, but not the 45 minutes on the phone....

Service Expert

mohoelx wrote:

Well, I think this may be the end... Yesterday, received a call from Level 2 support who stated they found "interference" on my account, had fixed it, and asked me to check the TV.  Sure 'nuf, it was working... and remained working thorughout the evening.  They had asked that since they found the problem and removed it, and TV was working should they cancel the servcie call?  Seemed reasonable to me.

Then this morning, back to the original symptom RDK-03033 - meaning the channel that was broadcasting when I turned off the TV last night is stil broadcasting, but any attempt to change channels, or use any other feature (guide, Xfinity button, etc.) results in error that it can't connect to the X1 service.  Power cycle anyone?  I think I'll hold off since at least I get ESPN right now.

Wow - this really ISN'T your cable experience from the 90's - back then I got more than 1 channel!

And worst, I'll bet it will be Tuesday next week before we can get rescheduled now, since I let them cancel what appeared to be an unnecessary service call....

When they said they found the problem and fixed it, I (foolishly?) believed them.  I suspect when my wife wakes up, we'll e cancelling ... unfortunately, being at work, I can take five minutes to write this post, but not the 45 minutes on the phone....

Silly Wabbit!!!  I understand why you cancelled, but IMHO I would have kept it just to get satisfaction that your true signal levels were good....

OH & BTW...  I am having a few unexplained issues myself...  happned when I swapped STB's out...

But that's another story.....

Hope you can get an accellerated appointment because of the issues....

-=Geek=-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I understand your frustration. It took almost 4 months to get my system stable. Eventually on multiple visits Comcast replaced Splitters and amps off the direct feed and ran all new cable. I still get delays on the Pace Terminals entering numbers or browsing DVR and in-demand. I also still have Audio issues with Pace Terminals and cannot get the ARRIS Terminals. After all was replaced I still occationally get the error and have to try to change channels again on Pace terminals.

I think the big issue is the average Tech is not trained past putting in a box. Then it takes weeks to get out to the real issues with a tech that knows X1. Most houses were wired of old simple system and Comcast is trying to keep up with the Sattalite providers (who have this mastered the Termianl System BTW).

In the end Comcast will lose money and customers by not getting it right the first, second or even third time out.

I am close to coming to the end of my patience. I would hate to lose in-demand, however I have noticed that in-demand has less and less content unless you pay for a new fee. So my choice will be easy very soon.

All my issues above with X1 - Comcast Internet and Phone have mostly been solid.

Official Employee

You're original issue was with RDK 03030 and now it reads RDK 03033? 03033 means your box isn't connecting to the network, disconnect the cable from the wall and back of the box put it back on and power cycle. Check your other connections too and then call back to 1-877-896-8678.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Comcast Andrew - it reads RDK-03033 until the power cycle.  After that, not even the one channel shows up - just goes to a burgundy screen with the RDK-03030 ...

And it's been back and forth working, RDK-03033 (or RDK-03030 if I power cycle) repeatedly over the last several days... do you honestly think disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it is going to do anything?  Is there some sort of "magic sequence" like disconnecting both TV's cables from the wall and the cable boxes, then reconnect them in a certain order, while hopping on one leg and holding a candle that is going to make any difference?  I'm doubtful....  But will go pull the TV out from the wall so I can disconnect the cables just in case....  Oh, do I also need to wait for a full moon?  (yeah, I'm frustrated)

Problem Solver

mohoelx wrote:

Comcast Andrew - it reads RDK-03033 until the power cycle.  After that, not even the one channel shows up - just goes to a burgundy screen with the RDK-03030 ...

And it's been back and forth working, RDK-03033 (or RDK-03030 if I power cycle) repeatedly over the last several days... do you honestly think disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it is going to do anything?  Is there some sort of "magic sequence" like disconnecting both TV's cables from the wall and the cable boxes, then reconnect them in a certain order, while hopping on one leg and holding a candle that is going to make any difference?  I'm doubtful....  But will go pull the TV out from the wall so I can disconnect the cables just in case....  Oh, do I also need to wait for a full moon?  (yeah, I'm frustrated)

Wow dude really?

Official Employee

I understand your frustration but if you had previous stated "- it reads RDK-03033 until the power cycle. After that, not even the one channel shows up - just goes to a burgundy screen with the RDK-03030 ...and it's been back and forth working, RDK-03033 (or RDK-03030 if I power cycle) repeatedly over the last several days.." I never would have suggested anything with the cable. There's nothing else to suggest except waiting for your appt. on Thursday

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Being a novice with Comcast, I did not note the RDK-03033 before following the instructions to power cycle.  The RDK-03030 could not, however, be missed after the power up.

The ironic part is, after following your suggestion of disconnecting the cable from the box and "the wall" (i.e.; the splitter, since that is the next plact it goes), and actually I disconnected the incoming side of the splitter (figuring it would impact both TV's) along with a power cycle of the DVR, it did come back on, and much to my surprise, is still working this morning.

Here's hoping against hope, since I let Level 2 cancel my Thursday appointment....

Official Employee

I hate being right all the time lol. Hope it keeps working for you, keep us updated.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

If it remains working, I'll accept that, but ComcastAndrew, someone has GOT to explain to me how that activity fixed ANYTHING!  The only possible outcome I can imagine is static buildup in the RG6 cable, which would suggest this is will be an on-going problem.  But if static buildup is a service killing problem, does that mean I wasn't installed correctly, i.e.; missing a ground or something?

Official Employee

I think it was either the cable at the splitter wasn't making a good connection at the splitter or it was on awkward and now that you took it off and corrected it I would think you'll be fine. This was why I suggested taking the cable off the wall and the box cause you just never know.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

After 3 weeks, with the connections in a place where there is no "traffic" to jiggle or jostle ... they just "become" awkward or loose their good connection...?  Seems odd to me, but hey - I'm an Ethernet kind of guy, not Coax.... Smiley Wink

Curiously, when I turned it on just now to test again, there was a notice thanking me for "upgrading"... Does that mean I got a software push or something?  or a total reset on the account?  At any rate, it's still working - this is the longest it's stayed "up" since it was discovered to be "down" on Saturday... so who knows... I certainly don't.

Gold Problem Solver

mohoelx wrote: ... someone has GOT to explain to me how that activity fixed ANYTHING! ...

Just guessing, but when you remove and replace an F connector:

• The two halves of the connector scrape against one another
  • The cable shield flexes against the connector shell
  • A small electrical pulse travels along the cable as connections are made and broken

The connection failures that cause signal problems are often microscopic, and the tiny effects of removing and restoring a connector can make a big (though often temporary) difference in signal characteristics.

Regular Contributor

So, just thought I'd share...  After 1.5 days of working service, woke up this a.m. and turned it on - still working.  Then an hour later, back to RDK-03033.  So just for grins, I did NOT power cycle the DVR, did NOT turn off the tv... So with the TV on, and the one channel broadcasting, I unscrewed the coax from the back of the DVR.  Of course, the picture froze... waited about 30 seconds, and reconnected.  And like magic, it was again fully functional!  Woo, Hoo! 

Enjoying my entertainment experience...

So at least it seems I have a way to restore service, with a totally unpredictable issue of when it will be working or not...  Wreaks havoc on trying to record shows, and of course not everything is available to "make up" via on-demand. 

At this point, I may or may not have a tech coming today (level 2 said they would cancel it earlier this week when they "found and removed" interference) but a call from level 2 yesterday confirming it was working asked if I wanted to keep the appointment, so I said yes (maybe they didn't actually cancel it?)  Of course, my wife my just tell him to take it with him when he leaves.... she's starting to spit nails about missing HER shows....

Official Employee

Possibly the splitter is failing.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Wow... was just logging in to say things had been good for a while.  Was actually watching the Royals whoop up on the Sox, and looking at some recordings to watch when all of a sudden, couldn't connect to the server again ... RDK-03033 ...

Tried my short-cut of just unplugging the coax from the DVR, and after the buffer played out (party trick - queue up some buffered show on your TV then unplug the cable and show your friends your haunted tv!) anyway, after the buffer played out, when I reconnected the cable, it was all working again.  May have to get rid of the screw-on connector in favor of the old-style slip-on since it looks like I'll have to be doing this every other day or so....

Regular Contributor

Knocking on wood, but for 12 days, we've been back to normal service.... The interesting part is, there was no tech visit, no cables changed, replaced or otherwise tweaked (beyond disconnect / reconnect a time or two), and the splitter is still the same one that was there.

The only thing that was observable was the two times when I turned on the TV and was greeted with a "thank you for upgrading" message, although I can't see any indication as to just what was upgraded.  I've seen threads where Comcast pushes updates without changing the details on the software version, so maybe that happened, I dunno....

At least we're working....  And if appropriate, thank you to the Comcaster's who may have done something behind the scenes to achieve this.

Regular Contributor

so tired of this... haven't been around much because I've been too busy rebooting my X1 DVR... had yet another lovely chat with tech support tonight, but at least according to this tech, he sees this all the time, knows exactly what to do, and permanently fixed my account .... we'll see....

Contributor

spend another hour on the phone to set up another service cal , miss another day of work , have the tech play with your system for 2 hours then in 2 days call back and start again , excusses ,excuses , repeat 200 times ,

Contributor

really , seriuosly , 14 service calls and no resolve . , call the fcc

Problem Solver

mmaacp   really seriously if you are going to call the fcc then do it.  You are not asking for help nor offering usefull ideas.  I suggest you call the fcc (another great gov't agency) and see how far you get.  Your time will be better served by finding solutions or leaving Comcast. 

Problem Solver

Ok folks...this is crazy..it is simple if you are getting those codes than there is a 99% chance it is signal. If you your tech is lacking the knowledge than you need call a different phone number..comcast is huge company , not all techs know what to look for. Also keep in mind that if it cost more to fix the issue than they see in profits than of course they hope you jump ship...could you blame any for profit company? Cable is not in the constitution last time I checked, and comcast will always give you a full refund. Good luck...
Regular Contributor

Finally back after a busy period. 

Finally got  a tech to the house who replaced the drop from the pedastal in the yard to the box on the side of the house... perhaps the splitter in the box, I don't know.  Amazingly, apart from one brief outage, and the time the drop was unplugged while it was burried, we have had 100% solid service.

Also, my bill is dramatically adjusted to asuage the pain and suffering noted in my account.

What happened is my wife was trying to turn on a show for our 2-year-old grand daughter who she was babysitting for a day, and there was no such luck.  She called Comcast and spent the first 5 minutes reading the riot act to the rep, who, when my wife finally let her speak, said she had no earthly idea why they have not sent a tech yet, based on the notations in our account.  She proceeded to set up the visit, and offered the bill adjustment.

Moral of the story is, if you are sure it's outside of your house, it probably is.  But until you call and get nasty, don't expect any resolution.  Seems Comcast's model is to poo-poo customer complaints until it escalates and gets nasty.  Sorry to say, but that is where we will start if there are problems in the future....

Frequent Visitor

I have quite enjoyed reading this saga only because I have experienced MUCH of your frustration with Comcast over the years. You are 100% right that there is No satisfaction until you --and this is my own personal new saying to replace the old postal one--"go Comcast" on some poor rep you get on the phone. I had months of such an odd problem that I won't even bother you with the details, and ended up with a reduction in my monthly bill for 12 months! I am currently on this forum page because I have the dreaded X1 box--which was really misrepresented IMO--and I cannot order any On Demand movies to rent because I keep getting this: Error code XRE-22 SRM-9020. It comes with a message to call billing. My bill is totally current and we have no "OnDemand balance". Yet NO tech (I've called like 6 times because I have learned that every CS rep has a different level of training it would seem) can fix it. I figured it would be a simple code or override of some sort. I called on a Friday night and have to wait until Tuesday afternoon for a tech. I'm not surprised though. Their equipment is such JUNK I'm sure 95% of the people that have it need repairs!! I for one LOVED your rant about hopping on one foot etc. The crabby guy who said "Really dude" has either no sense of humor or has never had to sit back helplessly while their cable didn't work. And no, it isn't a "Constitutional right" but a right to good service that we PAY for IS, thank you very much!! 😊
Valued Contributor

tweber64 wrote:
I have quite enjoyed reading this saga only because I have experienced MUCH of your frustration with Comcast over the years. You are 100% right that there is No satisfaction until you --and this is my own personal new saying to replace the old postal one--"go Comcast" on some poor rep you get on the phone. I had months of such an odd problem that I won't even bother you with the details, and ended up with a reduction in my monthly bill for 12 months! I am currently on this forum page because I have the dreaded X1 box--which was really misrepresented IMO--and I cannot order any On Demand movies to rent because I keep getting this: Error code XRE-22 SRM-9020. It comes with a message to call billing. My bill is totally current and we have no "OnDemand balance". Yet NO tech (I've called like 6 times because I have learned that every CS rep has a different level of training it would seem) can fix it. I figured it would be a simple code or override of some sort. I called on a Friday night and have to wait until Tuesday afternoon for a tech. I'm not surprised though. Their equipment is such JUNK I'm sure 95% of the people that have it need repairs!! I for one LOVED your rant about hopping on one foot etc. The crabby guy who said "Really dude" has either no sense of humor or has never had to sit back helplessly while their cable didn't work. And no, it isn't a "Constitutional right" but a right to good service that we PAY for IS, thank you very much!! 😊

The billing department forgot to turn on the OnDemand switch. See here:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-errorcode-xre-22-srm-9020-subscription-requ...

You should call them again or use the online chat.

Regular Contributor

RadTV - thanks for the contribution, but again, I stand on the statement that it should NOT depend on CUSTOMERS (who incidentally do not have the benefit of technical training or any official insight into their systems / tools / procedures) to be telling them what they need to do!

We are buying a service.  We should get what we are buying.  

The sad reality is the quasi-monopoly status they enjoy - there is no real competition or open marketplace.  Where you "can get" Comcast, you cannot get any other cable service.  While there is a theoreitical possibility of some alternates like Uverse or FIOS, those are not widely available.  In my market, I litterally have 2 choices; Comcast or Sattelite.  And while Sattelite is a fine option for TV, it is an unworkable solution for Internet.  For internet, I have 3 choices - Comcast, 3 meg DSL, or dial-up.  So in reality, again, in my market, there is only one choice if you need true "high speed" internet (I know 768k or higher qualifies for that title, but ...) 

So, Comcast it will be.  And since I have to have them for internet, it would be reasonable to assume using them for TV would be the best option.  Of course, in my relatively parallel thread in the Internet basic connectivity forum, it turns out my frequent modem reboots were also fixed with the new cable drop, so yes, I was frustrated on that end also.  

But I do expect to "get what I pay for".  I doubt anyone would return to any business where they have choices if they consistently only get part of their order, or have to tell the service tech how to repair the item, etc.  I mean really - should we have to tell the car dealer we want lug nuts, and how they should be tightened?

At any rate, back to a "happy camper" for now, but if we start having problems again, I'll be starting with "going Comcast!"

Frequent Visitor

Actually that was NOT it. A tech came out and they had to COMPLETELY reactivate my entire service. They had to shut it all down and start it back up again. It took forever. The guy that was here admitted that NO one there really knows much about the X1 box etc. It's ridiculous what they had to go through to fix my problem. I wish SO badly that our landlords would allow a dish because I DESPISE Comcast.
New Poster

Had this code last night. We have a "boost" ?? box...like a small box you plug in to charge a electronic device in the basement behind the washing machine that came unplugged. A coaxial cable is connected to it. All is well. I figured it out because we called for service when we thought our pre-X1 box went out. Hope this info is helpful to someone.
Regular Contributor

So ... after the replacement of the drop from the pedestal to the house, we worked "well" for about a week and a half, 2 weeks, then back to the same "fun-n-games".  Cable modem and X1 DVR loosing their minds pretty much at the same time, multiple times per day.

Another bunch of chats, got a tech visit scheduled.  He was here yesterday late.  Ultimately, he blamed one of the cables as being "noisy" and replaced it.  Ironically, it is one that I had replaced previously, and when I did so, had a "season" of better service (a week or so).  And when the previous tech was here, he did not see any problems on that cable. 

He swears that all is good now - no noise anywhere.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I got the firmware update pushed to my SB6141 also, so there should not be any local prem issue. 

We'll see....

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 12 in conversation