Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xi5 TV Box

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 151 of 167

Any updates on IP Control for X1 ? 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 152 of 167

china73 wrote:

Any updates on IP Control for X1 ? 

you can use an iOS or Android smart device to run the Xfinity TV Remote app. Hit the microphone and you can do much of what the remote can do via IP (TCIP)

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 153 of 167

I was able to get one thru inquiring with comcast chat.  My local office told me they had none available.  But their service tech has them and been installing them on new x1 installs when requested.  So i asked for an outlet to be installed in my living room and asked about the xi5.  The agent told me they were available in my area (Flint,Mi) and the tech will be able come out.  This all happen on the same day.  The comcast tech told me they been installing the xi5 in my area since May.  Wondering what kind of charge will i get since the original request to install an outlet is $60

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 154 of 167

Very frustrated with the xi5 wireless cable box. It works for 1-2 weeks, & then doesn't. For no apparent reason. They can't seem to fix the problem remotely, so requires a tech visit.  The second box in a month has just stopped working.  Next stop, billing department.  Charging for equipment that doesn't work reliably for more than 2 weeks....

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 155 of 167

I would say about 99% of the folks here do not have the xi5 available in their area and have no idea if and when they ever will get it so we can be of no help as we have never seen one.  I tried to get one about 3 months ago or so and was told it is a no no in my area.  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 156 of 167

Are there any updates to the public release of the wireless box? Thanks!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 157 of 167

Just keep watching this thread - it will be updated here.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 158 of 167
I have had one for about 3 weeks and had no problems with the xi5. I do have a strong wifi signal to box
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 159 of 167

Hi Frustrated151, I show that we had a tech come out to your home already to repair this issue. Are you still having problems with your Xi5 cable box? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 160 of 167

with the XI5 theres a few factors. your modem needs to properly communicate to your main box (xg2 or x1 DVR threw moca). the box works off of the 5GHz network so it will have to be in fairly close range of the modem. the amount of bars or your speed test wont help you here. the RSSI needs to be greater then -67 on your 5GHz network. 2 ways of verify this. go to your wireless box and use your remote to access the diagnostic screen. (hold [exit] for 5 seconds then press the [down arrow] twice then hit [2]) that will bring you to a menu and you just have to go down to the wifi tab. RSSI will show in a negative number so greater then -67 will be closer to 0. they also offer apps to check the RSSI(Airport Utility is a good one). 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 161 of 167
What markets are these boxes available. I live in PG county Maryland and they told me at the store that they had XG1 v4 boxes, but I dont need a dvr.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 162 of 167

Dada857 wrote:
What markets are these boxes available. I live in PG county Maryland and they told me at the store that they had XG1 v4 boxes, but I dont need a dvr.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi5-TV-Box/m-p/2860100#M122604

**UPDATE 6/6/2017**

Some customers have received Wireless TV boxes as part of a limited trial, however the Wireless TV Box is currently not available. We are working diligently to make them available soon.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 163 of 167
Posted by
New Poster

Message 164 of 167

We just had 2 of these put in our basement yesterday since we didn't have any outlets down there.  I just used a couple smaller TV's so that the tech could make sure everything would work, as I just bought a couple of 4K TV's to put on the wall for my man cave.  A few questions:

How does the picture look compared to a box?  I'm pretty sure it's not 4K compatible and that's fine, but will the picture look just as crisp as with a normal box?

Is there a lag with these boxes?  For instance when I would watch a baseball game on PS Vue, I was like a good minute or so behind when something actually happened.  It drove me nuts.

Will this eat up as much data as PS Vue did, or is this not considered streaming as much?  I have no idea about any of this stuff.

Thanks!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 165 of 167

I have one installed and the picture looks just as good as a normal box.  I see no lag when i compare it to the normal box in my bedroom.  The data it uses when watching cable channels are not counted against your monthly allowance.  Every once in a while a may have to unplug and plug it up if it becomes stuck.  Remember If your gateway modem is not working then the box will not work.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 166 of 167

Hey JCastelli10,

You're lucky! I wish that box was available here in my area. I've been doing some research on it on my end since I found out it would be available, so I'm more than happy to help answer your questions in regards to the Xi5.

The quality of the picture should be the same as any other cable box. Of course, as with any other X1 device, the signal levels at your home will need to be in spec (if not, you will see latency and other issues) and you would have to have a compatible gateway, which I'm assuming you do since you had a pro install. 

In regards to your question about data usage, the Wireless TV Box acts as a wired box when utilizing standard TV Box features, such as Live Broadcast, Video on Demand, Pay Per View and Guide. Internet Apps, such as Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, will continue to count toward data usage.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 167 of 167

The Xi5 box is horrible.  It worked for one week, froze up, and now will not reboot or connect to my gateway.  (It is literally 12" from the gateway and continues to tell me to try again or move set top box closer to the gateway).  The technician who installed it told me they have had a lot of issues with them so be prepared.  Tried an ehternet connection between box and gateway also, and that wouldn't work either.  System refresh, system restore, reboot gateway, nothing has solved the issue.  GARBAGE