New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xi5 TV Box

Posted by
Contributor

Message 50 of 157

I was browsing a thread over at AVS Forums and someone that seemed to know what they were talking about said that it would be possible to get the Xi5 (and Xi6) to work with a 3rd party router. These boxes are reported to have Ethernet and Wi-Fi but no coax. Apparently that means that the main X1 box would send the signals over coax (MoCA) to the XFinity modem which would send it out over Ethernet or Wi-Fi to the box. That's pretty much expected.

The tricky part comes from, as you said, using your own router. Apparently, from what I've been told, the solution is to get a MoCA to Ethernet bridge. This basically gets the MoCA signal to your router where it can then be sent out to the Xi5 or Xi6 over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 51 of 157

ComcastNeal wrote:

You can enable MoCA on the XB3.  If you need/want it left on there's a few things you need to do.  First, you'll need to send a message to ComcastNickM to get him to have your XB3 added to a list so MoCA stays on.  If you're not going to use MoCA, don't bother...you're not gaining anything by having it enabled.  Once Xi5 starts to roll out the process to enable MoCA and leave it on will be different but this manual process is required today since we don't use MoCA on the XB3 for anything today.  The second thing you'll need to double check is that the XB3 is connected to splittlers/unity gain amps properly.  Essentially, make sure your XB3 is NOT on the passive modem port on the unity gain amp.  If it is, that port wont pass MoCA and whatever you're trying to connect to it via MoCA (even when Xi5 rolls out) won't see the XB3.  Finally, we do not support 3rd party extenders or devices connected over MoCA.  It might work, but we don't guarantee it!  

then that verifies that the xb3 then will perform the function of MoCA to ethernet bridge and the devices will be available to each other via wifi or wired ethernet. Did they also give the xb3 the network password so it can operate as a proper network manager controller? 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 52 of 157

The XB3 becomes preferred network controller when MoCA is turned on.  Even if it wasn't, Xi5 would still work.  All the info on AVS Forum was from me.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 53 of 157

Yes the xi-5 will require an xb3 as it will receive service via moca over wifi. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 54 of 157

I heard they are coming this febriary 2017!!!!!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 55 of 157
I had a tech come out today 1/22/17 install a Xi5 companion cable box. And there is no HDR option. I'm thinking that they will update the firmware and enable HDR later when it goes full market. I'm in Utah and had to have a tech come out to my house.
IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 56 of 157

Is the only input an ethernet port?  Or does it use wi-fi?

What is your definition of HDR option?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 57 of 157

If this device actually has HDR, I suspect HDR will engage automatically once the device detects HDR content. I doubt there is an on/off control for it.

Is there an option for 4K resolution output?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 58 of 157

RobertWy wrote:

Is the only input an ethernet port?  Or does it use wi-fi?

What is your definition of HDR option?

it uses Wi-Fi but you can use the ethernet port. HDR stands for High Dynamic Range expanding the TV's contrast ratio and color palette to offer a more realistic, natural image than what's possible with today's HDTVs.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 59 of 157
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 59 of 157

RickGr4 wrote:

If this device actually has HDR, I suspect HDR will engage automatically once the device detects HDR content. I doubt there is an on/off control for it.

Is there an option for 4K resolution output?

I belive that it will be like the PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. there is an option in the settings to turn on the HDR on and off. This box does not have the Hardware to support 4K (HDMI 2.0). The Xi6 will support 4K viewing and HDR. comcast said that the Xi6 Box sould be coming out in Late 2017. The Xi5 was suppose to be out before the 2016 Olymics, but its now stating to filter out into the markit.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 61 of 157
Posted by
Administrator

Message 62 of 157
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 63 of 157

At this point I would like to hear from an official Comcast employee if this is legit or if the poster is an employee who may be testing the Xi5.

I cannot find any supporting information that the Xi5 has been released in any market...

Why aren't more people posting about actually having an Xi5? Something is fishy here...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 64 of 157

Thanks for the info

Posted by
Contributor

Message 65 of 157

RickGr4 wrote:
No need to "school" us on 4K and HDR technology. Many of us already have it (I do) and most of us are aware of Comcast's HIGHLY inaccurate roll out dates of newer boxes.

Personally I have absolutely no interest in the Xi5.

For someone with "no interest" you have a lot of interest, Artherious does not have to prove anything to you, he's just sharing what he found and is looking for answers.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 66 of 157
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 68 of 157
Thank you for that
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 69 of 157

Artherious wrote:
Thank you for that

Artherious I apologize to you for over reacting to your post. I was out of line.

That being said, if Comcast was more forthcoming and proactive with accurate and current information...??? Why should a customer be the first person to post about Xi5 finally making it into the field?

Countless repetitive posts and threads in this forum could be and would be eliminated if Comcast did a better job with this...!!!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 70 of 157

RickGr4 wrote:

Artherious wrote:
Thank you for that

Artherious I apologize to you for over reacting to your post. I was out of line.

That being said, if Comcast was more forthcoming and proactive with accurate and current information...??? Why should a customer be the first person to post about Xi5 finally making it into the field?

Countless repetitive posts and threads in this forum could be and would be eliminated if Comcast did a better job with this...!!!

Well, we now have an official thread-starter for the Xi5 from a Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 71 of 157

I also have been waiting to switch from DirecTv (expensive and illogical if I must have cable internet with Comcast already), but I currently have wireless DirecTv boxes in my 1970's house without wiring in the walls.  The system with DirecTv seems to work quite well with a "gateway" router that's dedicated (by DirecTv installation) from the extra boxes to the main wired box.  The only problem is waiting for Xfinity/Comcast to come out with this wireless system to make the switch from satellite.  When are we talking?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 72 of 157

Topic now Closed.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 73 of 157

Is this available in my area yet ?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 74 of 157

I'm considering jumping to X1 soon.  I have 3 TV's currently (on MOTO DCX3400) and I'm interested in using these Xi5's on two TV's connecting via Ethernet as wifi traffic in my house is horriblly congested. Right now I have a Cisco dpc3941t in Bridge mode to my Airport Extreme and from what I read the router does not support MoCa in bridge mode. My question is, what device (The XG1 or the dpc3941t) does the conversion of the cable feed to ethernet? And if it is the dpc3941t would I have to run that in full gateway (wireless) mode to ge the signal over ethernet?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 75 of 157

Not sure but I believe Xi5 is WiFi only. I suspect just like other X1 boxes the ethernet port is disabled.

Also I believe you need a specific Comcast gateway in order to use Xi5.

dsvtec wrote:

I'm considering jumping to X1 soon.  I have 3 TV's currently (on MOTO DCX3400) and I'm interested in using these Xi5's on two TV's connecting via Ethernet as wifi traffic in my house is horriblly congested. Right now I have a Cisco dpc3941t in Bridge mode to my Airport Extreme and from what I read the router does not support MoCa in bridge mode. My question is, what device (The XG1 or the dpc3941t) does the conversion of the cable feed to ethernet? And if it is the dpc3941t would I have to run that in full gateway (wireless) mode to ge the signal over ethernet?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 76 of 157

Thanks, Yes the Cisco dpc3941t is the Comcast supplied Wireless Gateway 3 (model numbers DPC3941T and TC8717) as per the equipment overview that I'm currently using only as a router in bridge mode.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/setup-a-wireless-network

Posted by
Contributor

Message 77 of 157

I have the ability to get my hands on an Arris SBG6782-AC Modem/ router. It is MOCA capable. Could I use this in lieu of having to rent a Xfinity XB3 to transmit to the Xi5 ? Both of these units are MOCA capable. Or would buying and using a MOCA Adapter with my current Arris SB6190 Modem / Apple Airport Extreme Router do the task better ? Any help greatly appreciated because I need an Xi5 as soon as it come available. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 78 of 157
All new territory. I don't think anyone can answer your questions. I guess you get to be a beta tester for the rest of us.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 79 of 157

TimC69 wrote:

I have the ability to get my hands on an Arris SBG6782-AC Modem/ router. It is MOCA capable. Could I use this in lieu of having to rent a Xfinity XB3 to transmit to the Xi5 ? Both of these units are MOCA capable. Or would buying and using a MOCA Adapter with my current Arris SB6190 Modem / Apple Airport Extreme Router do the task better ? Any help greatly appreciated because I need an Xi5 as soon as it come available. 

The moca isn't coming from the modem, the moca is coming from the XG1 or XG2. The Xi5 is using the 5 GHz band of the XB3 ( which has the special firmware that allows the Xi5 to communicate to it). 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 80 of 157

The Xi5 is not available in my area yet. CSR just advised me its only avaialble in the Mountain / Utah area. So maybe some folks on here can give us some info. I have read other forums who stated that using your own MOCA adapter works just as well as a rented XB3.  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 81 of 157

So would that mean no other router / modem combination would not work besides an XB3 ? If so is it possible to buy my own XB3 ? I do not want to spend money renting one if I can avoid it. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 82 of 157
I thought the whole point of this box was for uhd?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 83 of 157
Comcast has never said the Xi5 was about UHD even though I was told by half a dozen Comcast employees the Xi5 is UHD capable.

The Xi5 is more about wireless.

The upcoming Xi6 is the "hypothetical" UHD capable X1 box.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 84 of 157
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 85 of 157

Now every competing company has more 4k options than Comcast. My contract is up in May, looks like I will go to another provider.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 86 of 157

I live in the Greater Boston area, and I saw your updated post that the Xi5 is available "in limited areas" in the Greater Boston market. How would I find out if I could rent this box? The Rep I spoke with wasn't aware of this particular cable box.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 87 of 157
Live in the salt lake market. Last month they told me it was available and to drive to a service center with my old equipment. What a waste of a half a day. This month chat in, they say it's available, then they send me the wrong (old) boxes. Now I'm on hold with the fourth person in customer service for them to come pick up this new box of old equipment, and they are telling me that it's up to an installer to decide to install the xi5. I've been with Comcast for 8 years. Two years they've been promising 4K and hdr boxes. When you finally make one, you won't even give them to existing customers. I'm leaving Comcast. No Sony tv integration. Just smart app for Samsung 4K. No box support.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 88 of 157

hookedonhouse wrote:
Live in the salt lake market. Last month they told me it was available and to drive to a service center with my old equipment. What a waste of a half a day. This month chat in, they say it's available, then they send me the wrong (old) boxes. Now I'm on hold with the fourth person in customer service for them to come pick up this new box of old equipment, and they are telling me that it's up to an installer to decide to install the xi5. I've been with Comcast for 8 years. Two years they've been promising 4K and hdr boxes. When you finally make one, you won't even give them to existing customers. I'm leaving Comcast. No Sony tv integration. Just smart app for Samsung 4K. No box support.

you can contact billing at 800-Comcast. The representative has the ability to determine if your account is eligible for the Xi5 set top box. The representative can even ship to your home as a 'new' outlet and you can return one of your companion set top boxes for credit when the new box is installed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 89 of 157

Will the Xi5 output 4K? If so will it be HDR capable?

Thanks

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 90 of 157

rcastle2 wrote:

Will the Xi5 output 4K? If so will it be HDR capable?

Thanks

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi5-TV-Box/m-p/2860100#M122604

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 91 of 157

i see this unfair we the people who are testing the new internet who needs 3.1 modems we dont get to test it but people from ohter stateds do but we cannot test and we are in in the gruop of people and we deseerve to be beta testers for this too and have the new gateteway to test not only a small gruop pick from other people 

• Greater Boston, MA
  • Blue Springs, MO
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Twin Cities Region
  • Greater Chicago, IL
Posted by
New Poster

Message 92 of 157

Any idea when this will make it to the Denver Metro area?  I have a condo unit about to re-rent and I want to get rid of the nasty existing cable track.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 93 of 157

I just got my xfinity installed today and was told the Xi5 would be ready to be sold April 21st.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 94 of 157

portizjo wrote:

I just got my xfinity installed today and was told the Xi5 would be ready to be sold April 21st.

In what city/market are you located?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 95 of 157

Does anyone know what Cities and Towns are included in the Greater Boston, MA area?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 96 of 157

@

I called xfinity today and without hesitation I was told no we do not offer wireless boxes by 2 different people. (I am in fort myers)

I am canceling my service and going with directv because of this. I do not like having the cable coming out of the wall

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 97 of 157

andygerber wrote:

Any idea when this will make it to the Denver Metro area?  I have a condo unit about to re-rent and I want to get rid of the nasty existing cable track.

If you meet all the requirements in page 1 first post of this thread then the new box in testing is available to you. IF not, you can use the free beta program that uses the widely available Roku HDMI 'dongle' to access your xfinity connection. Note that you must have at lease one other coax connected X1 box connected to your account as well as Comcast interent service.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 98 of 157
Why are we not able to connect the wireless cable box to our own router? This is a deal breaker for me...
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 99 of 157

JEGLE wrote:
Why are we not able to connect the wireless cable box to our own router? This is a deal breaker for me...

the wireless device is still in development with limited area distribution. A customer's router (like mine) has no ability to send MoCA over the wireless network. The Comcast connected MoCA devices communicated via an encrypted. network. Even if we had a MoCA connected router, it still would not have the encryption required.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 100 of 157

I would rather have cable coming out of the wall than a satellite dish on my house/in my yard. The Xi5 is being rolled out on a limited basis, just like they do with everything else at first. Give it time. They just launched in Huntsville, AL and a bunch of other markets.