New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xi5 TV Box

Administrator
Administrator

Xi5 TV Box

The Xi5 is a new wireless X1 TV box that will allow XFINITY X1 customers to watch live TV without the need for a coaxial cable connection.

Here are some FAQ's

Can the Wireless TV box be my only TV box?

At this time, the Wireless TV box is intended for use as a secondary X1 device in your home, in conjunction with a primary X1 TV box. You must have a primary X1 TV box plugged in and connected to a coaxial cable jack in your home.

What are the requirements to have the Xi5 device?

To have a Wireless TV box in your home, you'll need XFINITY TV service, at least one additional X1 TV box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and XFINITY Internet with a Wireless Gateway 3 (with RDK-B firmware) to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection.

Can I move the Wireless TV box to a different location in the house?

Yes, you can move your Wireless TV box provided it maintains a wireless connection to the wireless gateway. Please note, however, that the distance from your gateway, along with other factors in your home (e.g., metal ducts, brick walls, double pane windows, etc.) will affect the video quality on the Wireless TV box.

Can I use the Wireless TV box outdoors?

Yes, you may take the Wireless TV box outdoors provided it maintains a wireless connection to the XFINITY Gateway. Please note, the Wireless TV box is not weatherproof and you should avoid direct exposure to precipitation and extreme heat or cold.

Can I hide the Wireless TV box out of site?

Yes, the Wireless TV box can be placed anywhere it can maintain a wireless connection to your wireless gateway, like in a cabinet or behind a TV. The voice remote that comes with the Wireless TV box does not require line-of-site to the box.

What should I do if my video freezes or pixilates?

First, try rebooting the Wireless TV box. If the condition does not improve, try moving the Wireless TV box and your wireless gateway closer together. If you need additional support, please Contact Us.

Can I connect the Wireless TV box to my WiFi range extender?

We recommend connecting the Wireless TV box directly to your wireless gateway for the best viewing experience. We cannot guarantee that the Wireless TV box will work properly over WiFi range extenders.

How many Wireless TV boxes can I have in my home at one time?

At this time, the maximum is two Wireless TV boxes per account.

Can I use my own modem?

No, the Wireless TV box can only be used with your XFINITY wireless gateway.

Are there charges or fees associated with the Wireless TV box?

Yes, standard equipment and additional outlet service fees apply to the Wireless TV box.

Does the Wireless TV box support 4K/Ultra HD resolution?

No, the Wireless TV box does not support 4K/Ultra HD resolution at this time.

Can I use X1 apps on the Wireless TV box?

Yes, all X1 apps available on other X1 TV boxes will be available with the Wireless TV box.

Note:

• The Xi5 is only available in select markets at this time
  • Aside from the WiFi connection, the Xi5 will have the same functionality as the Xi3 and XiD devices.

Device Specifications:

Manufacturer: Pace
Model Number: Pace PX051AEI Xi5
Device Type: HDTV Cable Box
Device Dimensions: 4.23 in W x 4.23 in D x 0.63 in H

Xi5 FrontXi5 FrontXi5 RearXi5 Rear

If you have any questions or need any assistance with your Xi5 device, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Any updates we have about the Xi5 device will be posted here.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Highlighted
New Poster

xi5 release date

heard about new uhd box,,anyone have release date for xi5??

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xi5 release date

4k is coming out supposedly by the end of the year for an Xi4 box.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast rarely if ever provides dates for this sort of thing. If they do they just mention a quarter.
Valued Contributor

rickyray wrote:

heard about new uhd box,,anyone have release date for xi5??

Well, in a press release back in May about the Xi4 4K/UHD box, the Xi5 was mentioned as "a new HDR set-top box" to be launched "next year.": http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-to-launch-4k-uhd-set-top-box

Nothing much has been heard about it since, and in an article on the FierceCable site last month (http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcast-prepping-hdr-capable-xi6-set-top-2016/2015-10-27 ), it says "Comcast will follow up the launch of the 4K-capable Xi4 set top later this year with the 2016 deployment of an even more advanced device, the Xi6, that features high dynamic range (HDR) technology."

So, I'd say it looks like the "Xi5" has gone the way of "Windows 9."

Admin1

Hi rickyray,

The box will be called Xi4. We do not currently have a release date. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

X1 wireless cable boxes?...

Hi... when will xfinity/comcast introduce wireless cable boxes? When I had my x1 system installed, it took >8hrs across two days, and required a good deal of my attention and interraction with the tech during installation. It was tedious... and surely expensive for comcast. The breakeven date for my subscription must be years out!

While I know Comcast ran an ad campaign lampooning AT&T Uverse's wireless cable box launch, i have to say, it's a useful innovation and competitive advantage for them. In addition to the much quicker/economical installation, it allows me as an end user to easily move my TV and associated cable box from room to room, or even outdoors, which I have wanted to do on many occasions. For that latter use case, in order to accomodate, I would need to get an entirely new cable base unit installed on the outside of the house to facilitate that one addition cable run to the outdoor location... that I probably would only use 5x per year. But when I want it... I want it.

So that's it... many good reason here, but primarily 1. reduced installation cost, 2. increased customer satisfaction with the installation process, 3. ability to customers to move devices in an "untethered" manner throughout their home/property.

Thanks for listening!

GKall

Problem Solver

Re: X1 wireless cable boxes?...

Hi GKall,

At this time we don't have any information as when wirelesses cable boxes will be available with Comcast services, however we do take each feedback and request into consideration in planning future changes to services or equipment.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

New Poster

July 4th is the Expected release date.
Regular Contributor

XI5, how does it work.

How will the Xi5 work.

Service Expert

Re: XI5, how does it work.

Did you read this?

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-tv-conventions/intx-2016-comcast-sets-july-4-debut-first-hdr-...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Gold Problem Solver

Do you have specific questions?

minitech wrote:

How will the Xi5 work.

Regular Contributor

Since it is wireless, does it use your current X1 gateway, is it a stand alone or client box, does wireless mean no cable has to be attached, in other words how does it work.

Gold Problem Solver

No cable from the gateway to the box but there will be an HDMI cable from the box to the TV. The Xi designation would suggest it is only a client box and will require an XG1 or XG2 to function.

Considering nobody outside of Comcast has seen a real Xi5 (as far as I am aware of) answering questions about it require some speculation.

minitech wrote:

Since it is wireless, does it use your current X1 gateway, is it a stand alone or client box, does wireless mean no cable has to be attached, in other words how does it work.

Service Expert

I would just add that the apparent design allows to put the small xi* box behind the TV which would allow full hiding of connection wiring.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

minitech wrote:

You will obviously need Xfinity internet service and an XB3 (that you already have), and is an Xi box like the Xi3 and XiD. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

minitech wrote:

You will obviously need Xfinity internet service and an XB3 (that you already have), and is an Xi box like the Xi3 and XiD. 

comcastandrew are you stating that customer owned routers will not work or will count toward customer's internet usage caps if owned router 'internet' is used?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

minitech wrote:

comcastandrew are you stating that customer owned routers will not work or will count toward customer's internet usage caps if owned router 'internet' is used?

No I'm not, there's nothing else to add until the Xi5 is released.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Gold Problem Solver

If there is no MoCA connection to the Xi5 why would the gateway matter? Does the XB3 offer a special communications channel or band for Xi5 boxes?

If Comcast is going to require a specific gateway to use Xi5s that would mean there will never be Xi5s in my house...

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

minitech wrote:

Service Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

If there is no MoCA connection to the Xi5 why would the gateway matter? Does the XB3 offer a special communications channel or band for Xi5 boxes?

If Comcast is going to require a specific gateway to use Xi5s that would mean there will never be Xi5s in my house...

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

minitech wrote:

MoCA is no different than ethernet, and the 'charging' of data for in home use of streams on any device going toward the data cap is the point of what I was asking. 

the xb3 gateways he referenced have a couple of wifi nets available beside the customer-in-home ones (the xfinitywifi hotspot, the 'hidden' home security system wifi, and that is why I asked to learn if the traffic would be counted if it was provided by customer owned equipment. No one from data/internet security ever seems to post on the forum but my guess is that it is ip (subnet) based on determining what data is charged toward customer's cap limits.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

minitech wrote:

MoCA is no different than ethernet, and the 'charging' of data for in home use of streams on any device going toward the data cap is the point of what I was asking. 

the xb3 gateways he referenced have a couple of wifi nets available beside the customer-in-home ones (the xfinitywifi hotspot, the 'hidden' home security system wifi, and that is why I asked to learn if the traffic would be counted if it was provided by customer owned equipment. No one from data/internet security ever seems to post on the forum but my guess is that it is ip (subnet) based on determining what data is charged toward customer's cap limits.

Again, you'll just have to wait until it's officially released.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

RickGr4 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

minitech wrote:

You wouldn't want it anyway, they're made by Pace.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Gold Problem Solver

Good point Andrew... LOL
New Poster

THIS IS INSANE, WE HAVE BEEN YOLD IT WOULD BE OUT LAST YEAR, THEN ONCE AGAIN THIS YEAR AND BOTH TIMES IT DIDNT!!!! IM SO SICK OF NOT BRING ABLE TO USE THE FULL CAPABILITY OF MY 4K TV, I MIND AS WELL SWITCH PROVIDERS SINCE COMCAST CAN'T MANAGE TO KEEP THEIR WORD OR EVEN FILL US IN AFTER BREAKING THEIR WORD!!!! IM BEYOND P.O.'d AND FED UP WITH COMCAST!!
Gold Problem Solver

What's your point? It appears the Xi5 is not a 4K box. This has been discussed in this forum.

I doubt Comcast will have a 4k box in 2016.

I suggest you learn more about other ways to get 4k such as Blu-ray and streaming. Also Comcast has streaming apps for owners of certain Samsung and LG TV sets.

Jray707 wrote:
THIS IS INSANE, WE HAVE BEEN YOLD IT WOULD BE OUT LAST YEAR, THEN ONCE AGAIN THIS YEAR AND BOTH TIMES IT DIDNT!!!! IM SO SICK OF NOT BRING ABLE TO USE THE FULL CAPABILITY OF MY 4K TV, I MIND AS WELL SWITCH PROVIDERS SINCE COMCAST CAN'T MANAGE TO KEEP THEIR WORD OR EVEN FILL US IN AFTER BREAKING THEIR WORD!!!! IM BEYOND P.O.'d AND FED UP WITH COMCAST!!

Silver Problem Solver

Not to mention that no broadcaster actually broadcasts in 4k yet.

Regular Contributor

Now that the box is released, can more details be shared on how it connects, operates, HDR format, etc?
New Poster

Yes - I am interested in this as well.. Also, how do we sign up / upgrade our current equipment to the Xi5? Do we just call?

Silver Problem Solver

Huh? Where is the box released? Who said it was released?

Regular Contributor
Service Expert

2themax wrote:
http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-tv-conventions/intx-2016-comcast-sets-july-4-debut-first-hdr-...

Here is some reading material:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board:X1&q...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Comcast promoted this for a July 4th release??  OK, so who has it?... and how do the rest of us get it?

Admin1

All -- We do not have these available yet. Our testing and trials are continuing at this time. Once we have more information to announce we will do so. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Comcast is broadcasting the Olympics in 4K. For all the money we pay it would have been nice for all us 4K TV owners to be able to watch the Olympics in 4K. DirectTV customers can 

Frequent Visitor

I totally agree. It makes no sense that Comcast subscribers potentially will not be able to view the Rio Olympics in 4K/HDR. It's about two weeks away and no xi5. It's especially sad when NBCUniversal is part of Comcast and it is offering 4K/HDR telecast/vod to its competitors (i.e. AT&T/DIRECTV). Why not to its customers? Frustrating.
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

That doesnt say how it will work, i know no cable is needed other than HDMI to your tv. Does it use the comcast gateway or will you need an additional IP box.

Service Expert

minitech wrote:

That doesnt say how it will work, i know no cable is needed other than HDMI to your tv. Does it use the comcast gateway or will you need an additional IP box.

I don't know how we would know anythijng about Xi5 if no one has one?

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-to-Ship-HDRCapable-But-Not-4K-Set-Top-Box-in-July-136993

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dslreports+xi5

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Admin1

We are going to have 4K/UHD content for for the Olympics. It will only be available with the Ultra High Definition Sampler App on Samsung or LG Smart TV's. HDR content will also be available on select Samsung Smart TV's via the Sampler App. The Sampler App is not yet enable to support HDR on LG TV's. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Admin1

Here is information on Xi5:

The Xi5 is a new X1 TV box that will allow XFINITY X1 customers to watch live TV from any room in the house without the need for a coaxial cable connection. To stream video over the WiFi connection to the Xi5 TV box, customers must have XFINITY Internet and a Wireless Gateway 3 with RDK-B firmware. Aside from the WiFi connection, the Xi5 will have the same functionality as the Xi3 and XiD devices.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Already to watch olympics in 4K then as I use the app to watch suits in 4K Smiley Happy   Sad no HDR Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

Here is information on Xi5:

The Xi5 is a new X1 TV box that will allow XFINITY X1 customers to watch live TV from any room in the house without the need for a coaxial cable connection. To stream video over the WiFi connection to the Xi5 TV box, customers must have XFINITY Internet and a Wireless Gateway 3 with RDK-B firmware. Aside from the WiFi connection, the Xi5 will have the same functionality as the Xi3 and XiD devices.

Is there a reason we can't use our own router?

Silver Problem Solver

Being an Xi device, it still uses a tuner from the XG device, so uses moca from the XG2 or DVR device to the modem, then from the modem it connects to your wifi. I doubt a modem with a seperate router would be able to convert moca to wifi.

Service Expert

John3758 wrote:

Being an Xi device, it still uses a tuner from the XG device, so uses moca from the XG2 or DVR device to the modem, then from the modem it connects to your wifi. I doubt a modem with a seperate router would be able to convert moca to wifi.

correct, and to have the Wireless Gateway 3 modem do it, they will have to enable MoCA on it so it can bridge from the hub(s) to 'ethernet' and WiFi.

hub <---->Wireless Gateway 3(modem) < -- >)))) (wifi) <====> xi5 STB. (note bidirectional)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I'm glad to hear that Comcast is doing something to provide 4K/HDR Rio Olympics coverage but it is still disappointing to know is not available to be seen on any 4K UHD tv. I'm in the market for a new 4K tv that has HDR. I'd like to go with Vizio but will likely rule it out because there's no Xfinity UHD Sampler App available. And I get it that's it's a business decision between a content provider and tv manufacturers but it still upsetting, especially since Comcast stated they were launching a device (i.e. xi5) to coincide with the Olympics. The xi5 would have been compatible with more 4K/HDR tvs than tvs that have access to the Xfinity UHD Sampler App. The olympics is a popular sporting even watched by millions it would have been a great opportunity to showcase new technology like 4K/HDR to a lot of people instead of small subset. Missed opportunity. P.S. Xfinity UHD Sampler App updated w/ Rio Olympics content. I just hope HDR content isn't the only content available throughout the event.
Tags (1)
image.jpeg
Official Employee
Moved:

Valued Contributor

Hi. Xi5 works with a MoCA to Ethernet bridge and your own router/WiFi. We don't supply these bridges but they can be purchased online.  The Xi5 just needs to see the XG1 or XG2 in your house to pull live TV and DVR content. This all happens through MoCA and would be sent over the bridge to your own network. It's truly an awesome device!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi. Xi5 works with a MoCA to Ethernet bridge and your own router/WiFi. We don't supply these bridges but they can be purchased online.  The Xi5 just needs to see the XG1 or XG2 in your house to pull live TV and DVR content. This all happens through MoCA and would be sent over the bridge to your own network. It's truly an awesome device!

the version 3 of comcast supplied wifi/router/gateways all include MoCA and the bridging is already there if the MoCA adapter is allowed to function. Is that ability to serve as a MoCA controller about to be activated?

I was looking at the MoCA 2 Actiontech bridges using bonded channels. Have they been tested to work with regular modem + separate router configurations?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

So i would enable moca on my comcast x1 gateway & the Xi5 would pick up the wifi signal from the gateway?

Service Expert

minitech wrote:

So i would enable moca on my comcast x1 gateway & the Xi5 would pick up the wifi signal from the gateway?

Try it and let us know what happens.  You can always turn it back off.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

You can enable MoCA on the XB3.  If you need/want it left on there's a few things you need to do.  First, you'll need to send a message to ComcastNickM to get him to have your XB3 added to a list so MoCA stays on.  If you're not going to use MoCA, don't bother...you're not gaining anything by having it enabled.  Once Xi5 starts to roll out the process to enable MoCA and leave it on will be different but this manual process is required today since we don't use MoCA on the XB3 for anything today.  The second thing you'll need to double check is that the XB3 is connected to splittlers/unity gain amps properly.  Essentially, make sure your XB3 is NOT on the passive modem port on the unity gain amp.  If it is, that port wont pass MoCA and whatever you're trying to connect to it via MoCA (even when Xi5 rolls out) won't see the XB3.  Finally, we do not support 3rd party extenders or devices connected over MoCA.  It might work, but we don't guarantee it!  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon