Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xg1v4 bad pix on 2160 hdmi setting

Regular Contributor

Xg1v4 bad pix on 2160 hdmi setting

Does anybody know why when the hdmi output is set to 2160 the pix is real bad, washed out & no detail.Keep in mind that my 2017 oled accepts all formats & my 4k apple tv works perfect in 2160 sdr.Does the fact that the netflix app not having 4k yet on the v4 have anything to do with the problem.It works just fine in the 1080p mode.

Service Expert

Re: Xg1v4 bad pix on 2160 hdmi setting

minitech wrote:

Does anybody know why when the hdmi output is set to 2160 the pix is real bad, washed out & no detail.Keep in mind that my 2017 oled accepts all formats & my 4k apple tv works perfect in 2160 sdr.Does the fact that the netflix app not having 4k yet on the v4 have anything to do with the problem.It works just fine in the 1080p mode.

does it look better if you put the X1 DVR in the 720P resolution?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

No, 1080p looks better just the 2160.

Regular Contributor

Looks like i solved the V4 2160 setting problem. When in 2160 setting you need a real good HDMI cable because it uses BT.2020 4k color space, so the cable must be 2.0 compliant.Anything less will give you a lousy pix, also your 4k tv must also meet the 2.0 standards also.

Regular Contributor

Looks like i spoke to soon,the 2160 hdmi setting is still bad & the 1080p setting still not as good as my xi5.Has new firmware up date 7s2 but no improvement yet.My first box was build ANC & it was not good at all,2nd box build ANM much better but not even close to the pix quality i should be getting.Netflix app looks good across the board 720 to 2160.Keeping in mind that netfix has 4k only right now but the up scale on broadcast should look better like my old xg1v3 & my xi5 boxes deliver set at 1080p .

Regular Contributor

UPDATE, more problems with the v4, a lot of latency when accessing on demand, wont load all images sometimes in apps or last watched, can't pull some recordings from the cloud after box swap(3rd box), pix not as vived & sharp even in 1080p mode.My xi5 has none of those problems. No its not a signal problem, no its not my hdmi cable or tv, its the arris xg1v4.Wish pace made the box & hope the xi6 comes out soon or a major update to the v4.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like signal issues.

I agree that the picture quality of the XG1V4 is lacking something when set to 2160. However the picture quality when set to 1080p is easily the best I have seen on an X1 box and the V4 box is EASILY the fastest X1 box I have used.

Care to go into the X1 diagnostics and post your signal levels?

minitech wrote:

UPDATE, more problems with the v4, a lot of latency when accessing on demand, wont load all images sometimes in apps or last watched, can't pull some recordings from the cloud after box swap(3rd box), pix not as vived & sharp even in 1080p mode.My xi5 has none of those problems. No its not a signal problem, no its not my hdmi cable or tv, its the arris xg1v4.Wish pace made the box & hope the xi6 comes out soon or a major update to the v4.

Gold Problem Solver

minitech,

You have said that you have contacts within Comcast's tech centers. Why aren't you asking them these questions???

Maybe you should be telling us why the XG1V4 2160 picture looks like it does...

minitech wrote:

Regular Contributor

Despite  who i know they have been asked & i get mixed reasons or they don't know or they cant say.I like the forums to help, gain knowledge that somebody deep inside as a employee might have.I read about the new tech. thru cnet & other web sites.With hands on experience with new equipment maybe i can help others & learn somethings to.So to be snarky & condescending i don't think this site was intended.As soon as find out something solid i will post.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry man but you sometimes come off as a forum troll... Asking questions you probably already know the answers to...

You should know by now that Comcast employees participating in this forum are not going to say anything noteworthy.

Just sayin...

minitech wrote:

Despite  who i know they have been asked & i get mixed reasons or they don't know or they cant say.I like the forums to help, gain knowledge that somebody deep inside as a employee might have.I read about the new tech. thru cnet & other web sites.With hands on experience with new equipment maybe i can help others & learn somethings to.So to be snarky & condescending i don't think this site was intended.As soon as find out something solid i will post.

Gold Problem Solver

Waiting to see your signal levels...

minitech wrote:

Regular Contributor

Seems comcast is working on the 2160 pix problem & hopefully have a fix soon.

New Poster

Any high speed hdmi cord should work on 4k tv
Service Expert

Jfabres83 wrote:
Any high speed hdmi cord should work on 4k tv

yes, 'should'. but a kinked cord or one that is all tied up 'neatly" rubber-banded, hard bends, damaged, kinked, dented may have issues. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I am also having problems with 2160p60 setting; most notably when watching live sports (especially hockey).  When watching hockey any fast puck movements would be extremely pixelated to the point of the puck dissapearing sometimes.  Switching to 1080p60 is much much better, but I still notice some pixelation at times.  My Samsung UN65F9000 4k is no spring chicken, but everything coming off my Nvidia Shield TV looks amazing  I am using a Sewell Silverback S6 HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 cables.

Not sure how to test Signal Strength on this box, the thing in Comcast Labs -> Cable Signal Strenght says "Unknown".

Service Expert

wrote:

I am also having problems with 2160p60 setting; most notably when watching live sports (especially hockey).  When watching hockey any fast puck movements would be extremely pixelated to the point of the puck dissapearing sometimes.  Switching to 1080p60 is much much better, but I still notice some pixelation at times.  My Samsung UN65F9000 4k is no spring chicken, but everything coming off my Nvidia Shield TV looks amazing  I am using a Sewell Silverback S6 HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 cables.

Not sure how to test Signal Strength on this box, the thing in Comcast Labs -> Cable Signal Strenght says "Unknown".

Did you try any of the lower resolutions offered by the v4 STB?  I don't have a 4k TV but your TV should be able to upconvert any lower setting.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

The f9000 samsung is a 2013 model that doesn't support all 4k frame rates(unless a 2.0 firmware update was done on your tv),try setting the v4 at 2160 at 30fps & see what happens, or check to see if all your hdmi inputs support 4k on your one connect box,some early model 4k tvs only supported 4k in 1 or 2 inputs.The Nvidia Shield TV may automatically switch frame rates for you.I asume that the Nvidia tv was plugged in the same hdmi port your v4 was using, if not, switch the v4 to the Nvidia port.

Regular Visitor

I should have mentioned that the TV UN65F9000 was upgraded to the SEK-3500U one-connect and is running the latest firmware.  All ports are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and I should be fine with 60fps.  I have also tried the 2160p30 resolution, did not help.

Regular Contributor

The only thing left i can think of is your local hub hasn't done all the updates yet & all your service is in spec.The up todate firmware on your v4 should 9s1.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help minitech.  I notice from another post you mentioned 2.13.0 firmware, my current STB version is 2.14p13s1 (not sure about 9s1 versioning).  When I get a chance I will try running through my Sony HTST9, which will pass 4k HDCP2.2 but not HDR in case this has something to do with HDR.  It's possible service specs are contributing, any way to get this box to give me some signal numbers?  My gut is telling me there's an issue with the upscaler that's more noticeable for certain broadcasts (i.e. 1080i sports).  Pictures w/o fast motion are really clear.

Problem Solver

@ wrote:

Thanks for your help minitech.  I notice from another post you mentioned 2.13.0 firmware, my current STB version is 2.14p13s1 (not sure about 9s1 versioning).  When I get a chance I will try running through my Sony HTST9, which will pass 4k HDCP2.2 but not HDR in case this has something to do with HDR.  It's possible service specs are contributing, any way to get this box to give me some signal numbers?  My gut is telling me there's an issue with the upscaler that's more noticeable for certain broadcasts (i.e. 1080i sports).  Pictures w/o fast motion are really clear.

It looks like you might be talking about video seen coming from NBC over Comcast cable for the Super Bowl game last night. I noticed the same thing you described. You probably noticed the score overlay fuzzing up when camera moving (motion) too. I notice this anytime NBC is handling football or golf. By the way; I still use a Cisco RNG150N box so the problem is not just X1 box related. Most Comcast channels for sports, outdoor nature nature up-scale quite well to 4K with my Cisco box since the MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 conversion.

I am beginning to think issue is a combination of NBC equipment used and how Comcast outputs their 1080i signal. It might also include how signals are handled and passed along by the local stations to Comcast.

I never see this problem on CBS programing of football or other sports in 1080i over cable. No problem on PBS for 1080i either.

Regular Visitor

There may be something to that, however for me the super bowl set to 1080p60 looked pretty good.  The picture only degraded (noticeably worse) when switching to 2160p60.  Lots of jaggies/motion couldn't keep up when the football was thrown.  I first noticed this watching hockey on Comcast Sports Net which is now "NBC Sports Chicago"!  I will try some non-NBC sports broadcasts in 2160p60 and see if these are any better.

Frequent Visitor

First post, so I apologize if it's not the exactly the correct thread as I see multiple similiar topics.

I've had my X1 system for a year. No problems, great picture. I just replaced my XG1 (Model PX013ANC) with the XG1v4-A (Model AX014ANC) yesterday. I have a samsung 65" Class KS800D 4K SUHD TV. My HD signal on the previous XG1 was great. After connecting the new XG1v4 yesterday the HD channels as well the DVR recordings in the cloud, some from when the old XG1 was hooked up and 2 recordings from just last night with the new XG1v4 all do not look near as sharp.

To be clear, I'm no focusing on the 4K video right now as I understand that there is no 4K content available yet (other than netflix), but wanted to future proof as well as catch some of the olympic feeds in 4K. I had planned to watch 4K netflix on apple TV or bulit in netflix TV app as my experience has been that the streaming 4K content is superior.

I'm troubled by the drop in quality of the new box on the HD feeds from comcast. I've refreshed everything, tried 2 different HMDI cables and tightened everything. The only difference I can come up with is the new XG1v4... but one would think at the very least it would have the same HD signal as the older XG1? I brought in another family member to look at the new picture after the change in STB and unprompted they noticed the same thing, so it's not just me. It's not horrible as some have pointed out in previous posts but a noticable drop in clarity.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Regular Contributor

JayTea1, there is one thing i thought of other than a update not done at your hub is that the 1st v4 i got the model # ended with ANC & it had a bad pix even at 1080p,had another delivered & the model # ended with ANM & the pix quality was much better.After that some work had been done at my hub & now it looks good.I was told that the letters at the end of the model # didn't matter only what cable card it used but i don't believe that or even if that's true there was a difference in pix quality between them.

Service Expert

wrote:

First post, so I apologize if it's not the exactly the correct thread as I see multiple similiar topics.

I've had my X1 system for a year. No problems, great picture. I just replaced my XG1 (Model PX013ANC) with the XG1v4-A (Model AX014ANC) yesterday. I have a samsung 65" Class KS800D 4K SUHD TV. My HD signal on the previous XG1 was great. After connecting the new XG1v4 yesterday the HD channels as well the DVR recordings in the cloud, some from when the old XG1 was hooked up and 2 recordings from just last night with the new XG1v4 all do not look near as sharp.

To be clear, I'm no focusing on the 4K video right now as I understand that there is no 4K content available yet (other than netflix), but wanted to future proof as well as catch some of the olympic feeds in 4K. I had planned to watch 4K netflix on apple TV or bulit in netflix TV app as my experience has been that the streaming 4K content is superior.

I'm troubled by the drop in quality of the new box on the HD feeds from comcast. I've refreshed everything, tried 2 different HMDI cables and tightened everything. The only difference I can come up with is the new XG1v4... but one would think at the very least it would have the same HD signal as the older XG1? I brought in another family member to look at the new picture after the change in STB and unprompted they noticed the same thing, so it's not just me. It's not horrible as some have pointed out in previous posts but a noticable drop in clarity.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

when you play a 4k title on the netflix app using the X1 set top box does the TV recognize it is 4k? (are you offered 4k titles)?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Minitech, that’s an intersting point about the difference in model. I’m wondering if I can specify the model # if I were to order again. I’ll have to see if my local Comcast store has the box in stock so I can check the model # before I leave the store, other wise I’m thinking whoever ships it to me would not be focusing on that level of detail. 

When you state hub, are you referring to my modem? I own my own modem arris 6183. So from the wall to a splitter, then one line to modem and one line to Xg1v4. I wouldn’t think that would effect my TV signal. Or is hub something different?

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben,

Yes. The 4K titles are offered. 

Regular Contributor

JayTea1, The hub is where the cable is distributed to the nodes that is delivered to a drop line to your residence.Keep in mind that even with all up dates to the cable system the pix may appear worse because of calibrations done on a tv with sharpness level & noise reduction settings.The xg1v4 cleans up the pix really well & i recommend setting video sharpness up & mpeg & digital noise reductions off.I set my sets to max sharpness,mpeg & digital noise off & any other video detail settings such as edge enhancer,max resolution,sharpness either on or set at max.

Frequent Visitor

Minitech, I'll try those settings within the TV as well. It does seem unusual that I would have to change the settings if the older X1 box was hooked up the same way and the HD picture quality was fine.

I called comcast and after going through everything over the phone that I already tried on my own and with a previous comcast rep, I was told to have a tech come out. I asked multiple times if there was a fee and was reassured there would not be, only to have an email sent to me right after that included an $60 plus tax professional installation fee even though I already installed myself. I called back and was told by another rep that I should have never been told it would not be a charge. IMO They should honor when they make mistakes and offer innaccurate information. This feels like the same old comcast customer service I use to get years ago... inaccuate information from multiple sources and then wrong billing charges that never seem to dissappear off my bill for multiple cycles...but I digress...

For now I've cancelled the tech to avoid paying for something that I shouldn't have to. I'm able to post the diagnostic readings from holding EXIT, down, down 2. Do you or someone else on this forum have the expereince to be able to let me know by looking at the readings if it is in fact an issue that needs to be addressed by a tech? If so, what readings exactly need to be posted?

Any help is appreciated.

Regular Contributor

JayTea1, more than likely your signal is within specs, there are people on the forum who know what they should be by the service menu but forget who they are, maybe comcast andrew.Its kind  of an illusion because the 1080p setting on your old box just upscales 1080i & 720p as you know but also includes mpeg noise & makes the pix appear to have sharper edges.The v4 seems to clean up the mpeg noise which smooths out the pix & reduces the upscale effect.I would say if using the netflix app watching 4k content doesn't look good than there still needs some work done up the line & not at your tap.Id try swapping out the box for a anm.Have comcast connect you to advanced repair in denver & have them check your signals remotely, 9 out 10 if the readings are good than you don't need service.

Frequent Visitor

I just got the v4 4K box and have issues with the 4k Olympics content looking really washed out. Regular HD content looks fine, just 4K looks like one of the colors isnt rendering corectly. I swapped out cables, have the X1 box plugged directly into the TV and have also tried other 4K content from my Apple TV and Tivo and they look fine. Looks to be something with the v4 box itself? Comcast wants to send out a tech but in my previous experince not all the techs in my area are trained on the new equiptment and dont really want to waste time away from work to have them leave without resolving the issue. Any ideas?

Regular Contributor

the xg1v4 2160@60 uses BT2020 color gamut,possible your tv is not capable or not calibrated right, just a thought since other content is ok & the way NBC is transmitting.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I can’t find anything on my tv referring to BT2020. It the Samsung UN65HU7200. Made in 2014. Would there be something specifically that I should look for that would be more consumer focused like HDMI 2.0 or something like that? Thank you for your help!
Regular Contributor

Looks like your ok as far as your tv,my other thought is there is still some work to be done at your local hub.All my ch. seem to be fine but only after all updates done locally, had to recalibrate that hdmi input my v4 uses when set at 2160.Some older tvs 2.0 was not on all hdmi inputs, something else to check.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation