Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity won't connect

New Poster

Xfinity won't connect

I just purchased my own modem/router and easily set it up to replace the rented one from Comcast. We have internet and Xfinity X1 TV. I had a wireless TV box for one of my TV's and a regular DVR one for the other. The wired DVR box still works fine, but I was told I had to replace the wireless box with a wired/cable one as it wouldn't connect to a modem that was NOT provided by Comcast. 

I took in the wireless TV box and got a wired replacement. They told me to simply plug it in and follow the on screen setup instructions. Simple. But, when I plug it in, it tries to connect to my Xfinity Platform, but then I get the "there seems to be a problem" error, telling me to unplug for 10 seconds, then plug back in.  I get the same error everytime.

Any ideas?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity won't connect

You’ll have to track down if that cable outlet is even live. I’d assume because the wireless box was used and the problems that you have, it probably isn’t.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I was using it for Directv before switching to Comcast/Xfinity. I went wireless from that point on until this issue. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I check if it's live? My coax lines are fine running to my modem/router. It's all connected. 

Also, any idea why a wireless TV box won't connect to my new modem/router?  I went with an Arris SURFboard SBG7580AC.

Service Expert

flyinbriyin wrote:

I was using it for Directv before switching to Comcast/Xfinity. I went wireless from that point on until this issue. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I check if it's live? My coax lines are fine running to my modem/router. It's all connected. 

Also, any idea why a wireless TV box won't connect to my new modem/router?  I went with an Arris SURFboard SBG7580AC.

do you mean the xi5 wireless X1 set top box? if so, it requires the 'special' latest gateway/modem with wifi to connect to Comcast. the xi5 will not connect via customer owned equipment.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Also, any idea why a wireless TV box won't connect to my new modem/router? I went with an Arris SURFboard SBG7580AC.
______

Hook your main box up to that cable outlet, if it boots up to live tv, it’s live. But I’d assume it was never active with Comcast service.
Xi5 will only work with XB3 or XB6 gateways(like you had).

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Yes. That's the one I was using. They did tell me (after I bought my own modem/router) that the Xi5 wouldn't work, which is why I swapped it out for the hardwired box (coax), that will not work now. It give me the Welcome screen then says connecting, then I get the "somethings not quite right" screen.

Official Employee

Yeah unfortunately you’ll either have to have a tech out to get it hooked up or track it down yourself.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation