Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Xfinity YouTube App video playback issue

New Poster

Xfinity YouTube App video playback issue

Hi, I started using the YouTube App on Xfinity. Currently watching one of my YouTubers and this video format not supported message popped up. Was trying to watch RWBY volume 2.

I'm not sure if this an xfinity or YouTube issue.
20170930_183548.jpg
Valued Contributor

Re: Xfinity YouTube App video playback issue

Justwatchingtv wrote:
Hi, I started using the YouTube App on Xfinity. Currently watching one of my YouTubers and this video format not supported message popped up. Was trying to watch RWBY volume 2.

I'm not sure if this an xfinity or YouTube issue.

It's a youtube app issue. The app on X1 does not support the file format. It should play within your web browser. The error sometimes appears on the smart phone app and you have to switch to desktop mode and use the browser.

Official Employee

Justwatchingtv, Are you still experiencing issues with the Youtube app will attempting to access it from your X1 DVR services? ComcastDanB

New Poster

I'm having the same issue. Google Play gave out the new Amityville horror sequel for free. I tried to play through the YouTube app on my X1 DVR but it said file not supported.
Frequent Visitor

Similar issue here for paid youtube content (google movies)
15104572907832130798403.jpg
Problem Solver

The error shows up on You Tube because of conflict issues using the X1 box and it's You Tube app.

I watch You Tube either on my Samsung UHD tv, or on my Lenovo computer. I never have issues watching anything anything including You Tube Red.

I have optical cable on DSL and no need at all for Comcast equipment. I use Comcast only for linear cable. That thankfully works fine most of the time. The Lenovo runs the You Tube app in Edge W10. You Tube rarely ever has problems with their app for anything including 4K, 8K, or HDR.

Frequent Visitor

Having same issue trying to watch from library (purchases through Google Play Movies)on Xfinity x1 YouTube app.
IMG_20171128_124028.jpg
New Poster

Sad and incompetent that Comcast / Xfinity can not get the Youtube library part of the app to work on X1 platform.  It is not a codec issue, it must be some kind of stupid handshake issue between Youtube and X1 that does not allow a personal "owned" or rented movie through Youtube or Google Play to be watchable on the X1 "Platform."

Still have to watch these on an Xbox - through Youtube app - or through a computer hooked up to a tv.  Tough to operate in a technical medium when you don't have the technical ability to fix a simple issue or explain why it does not work.

Expert

The X1 Youtube app doesn't support that file format. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks RobertWy
Is that documented somewhere?
Expert

grapesmuggler wrote:
Thanks RobertWy
Is that documented somewhere?

Not that I am aware of.  I just got it from reading the posts in this forum.

New Poster

Is Comcast going to attempt to respond to fix this issue or tell us anything
New Poster

Same issue.

I called comcast and was told to contact youtube.

No responce.

Official Employee

Hi adrianrarch, 

That error means that that file format is not supported on the X1 YouTube app.