Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Xfinity Box turns off TV

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Box turns off TV

Strange occurrence last night - wife and I were watching tv and suddenly the tv turned off. Turning the tv back on, there was no signal from the cablebox (main box/DVR) - actually that is not true the signal was the classic 'no signal fuzz'. Cablebox was still on. Restarted the cablebox - everything boots up normal. 1/2 hour later, the same thing happens (fuzzy signal, etc). Check the other tv's and neither are getting a good signal and boxes report error. This time the cablebox reboots itself. Again, everything is fine. 

I get on chat with Tech support to see what their log is showing. But the first tech can't doing anything. They are supposed to have the next level tech contact me but 18 hours later there has been nothing. The same thing happens a 3rd time that night - main box reboots itself. 

The concern is this is a new tv. 3-4 weeks ago the old tv lost it's HDMI port along with the receiver's HDMI out port. A couple days later the 2nd HDMI port goes bad, switch things to the last available HDMI port. Two weeks later the power supply on the TV dies. Get new tv only to find there is no signal from cablebox. I think the HDMI port on cablebox is now bad. Service appt and the tech switches cords and wall plate, gets a signal but only on the HDMI 1 (not on 2, which is also ARC). Get home and question my wife about the flicker that occurs sporadically. Start chatting with Tech Support again. Said I should replace the box. Replace box on Saturday - now tv-turn-off start happening on Sunday. Thoughts? Insight?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Box turns off TV

wabaz, thanks for posting here. How long has this been occurring? I've checked out the event log of your main box and I see that in August, there were more registered errors than any other month. Did anything happen during this month? Perhaps a big thunderstorm? Did you replace your TV during August? 

I also see that you have another tech appointment scheduled this week. I'll check in with you once it completes. 

Frequent Visitor

-Thanks for the reply ComcastKenF, the storms were actually toward the end of July - that's when the first HDMI port went on the old TV (then the 2nd one, then the power supply). TV was replaced last week. No signal from box, tech came out and got signal on HDMI 1 but could not get it on HDMI 2 - but picture flickered, even during bootup. Replaced box Saturday (8/19), everything was fine until the TV turned off/cablebox rebooted Sunday evening (8/20) 3 times, and Tuesday AM (8/22) once. 

Regarding the tech visit, I wasn't home but according to my wife, the Tech said the box cannot turn off the TV, it must be the surge protector (cablebox and tv are plugged the same one). Seems unlikely but I'll switch it. She said he also changed the power supply on the cablebox  ok. I was reading online that sometimes turning off 'autodects' on the TV can eliminate the problem. The fact that both events happen at the same time still makes me think they are related. 

Unrelated except for the signal errors - I have two brothers in the area. One (Wildwood) had his services turned off because of 'feedback' Comcast was receiving from his line 3 weeks ago. The other (Lindenhurst) was getting bad pixelization that was from signal errors, that was last week. 

Again, thank you for reponse. 

Gold Problem Solver

Yes the box can possibly turn the TV off. There is a feature in the Comcast Labs section of Settings called HDMI Link. I suggest you find it and make sure it is off.

The feature is supposed to do the opposite however X1 boxes have a very questionable history in regards to HDMI.

wabaz wrote:

-Thanks for the reply ComcastKenF, the storms were actually toward the end of July - that's when the first HDMI port went on the old TV (then the 2nd one, then the power supply). TV was replaced last week. No signal from box, tech came out and got signal on HDMI 1 but could not get it on HDMI 2 - but picture flickered, even during bootup. Replaced box Saturday (8/19), everything was fine until the TV turned off/cablebox rebooted Sunday evening (8/20) 3 times, and Tuesday AM (8/22) once. 

Regarding the tech visit, I wasn't home but according to my wife, the Tech said the box cannot turn off the TV, it must be the surge protector (cablebox and tv are plugged the same one). Seems unlikely but I'll switch it. She said he also changed the power supply on the cablebox  ok. I was reading online that sometimes turning off 'autodects' on the TV can eliminate the problem. The fact that both events happen at the same time still makes me think they are related. 

Unrelated except for the signal errors - I have two brothers in the area. One (Wildwood) had his services turned off because of 'feedback' Comcast was receiving from his line 3 weeks ago. The other (Lindenhurst) was getting bad pixelization that was from signal errors, that was last week. 

Again, thank you for reponse. 

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately when I got home my wife informs me the cablebox has rebooted twice - BUT, the TV did not turn off! so that's good. However, we still need to get the cablebox to stop rebooting...

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes usually reboot in the middle of the night. That is normal. If they reboot during the day there is something else wrong.

X1 boxes are extremely signal sensitive and when X1 boxes reboot on their own that is a symptom of poor signals.

Triple check every connection related to your cable TV service. If that doesn't solve the issue you should have Comcast send a tech out (again) to investigate.

wabaz wrote:

Unfortunately when I got home my wife informs me the cablebox has rebooted twice - BUT, the TV did not turn off! so that's good. However, we still need to get the cablebox to stop rebooting...

New Poster

My X1 turns itself off, with all connections tight.

My only question is whether the box is able tto record despite the absence of the blue on/off button and no red recording light.

Expert

joel39 wrote:

My X1 turns itself off, with all connections tight.

My only question is whether the box is able tto record despite the absence of the blue on/off button and no red recording light.

as long as AC power is connected to your DVR(s) the recordings will be made.