Xfinity 4K XG1v4 (AR AX014ANM) Box - Sound / Bass Issues

Contributor

Xfinity 4K XG1v4 (AR AX014ANM) Box - Sound / Bass Issues

I have an Xfinity X1 4K Box

Model: AR AX014ANM

XG1v4

My current setup:

I have the Audio settings as "HDMI Auto-Detect" which detects Dolby Digital 5.1

I have a Sony sound bar with Subwoofer (Sony HTNT5).

The xfinity box is connected direct to the sound bar.

I also have an Xbox One X connected to sound bar (more on this in a minute).

When I play audio through the Comcast 4K box, it is low and also the subwoofer (with it maxed out) barely plays any bass.

However switching to the Xbox One X, the audio is much much louder and the bass plays loud even on a much lower setting.

There seems to be some audio disparity in the X1 box which may need to be looked at?

I attempted to switch the Audio on the X1 box to Expert Mode, but there were no additional options and the audio quality did not change.

Has this configuration been tested and does a software update need rolled out?  Anyone else running into similar audio parity issues?

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity 4K XG1v4 (AR AX014ANM) Box - Sound / Bass Issues

have you tried turning off expert mode (the x1 will not try to figure out what format is best) and under Dolby to turn on audio compression (around page 60 on the owner's manual)? after you set up the audio for the best sound and balance the sound bar should remember that setting and switch to that profile when you select the X1 set top box.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Appreciate the reply!

Yes I tried auto first which auto detects it as Dolly Digital 5.1

It doesn’t help with or with it disabled and even if I turn the volume way up I have to max the subwoofer to get a very small bass

When I switch to Xbox one x or an amazon fire tv the bass is extremely loud with it being maxed (which is expected)

The X1v4 box doesn’t appear to split the audio or adjust it properly.

My X1 box before the 4K worked fine just as the Xbox one and fire tv work today

I believe it is the software on the box but only a comcast engineer could verify that

I am curious if anyone else is experiencing similar sound issues with the 4K box. Although not sure how many people have these new boxes and a similar sound system from Sony.
Problem Solver

The cable-boxes should be connected directly to the television with 4K compliant HDMI cable.

Connect you speakers to the television (not the cable-box) using the HDMI (ARC) port.

Contributor

Thanks for the response!

Yes I am using ARC (HDMI).  With this the box can be connected to the TV or the Sound bar and it will take care of the rest.

By the way it is plugged into teh sound bar (but I have tested with the TV) and makes no difference.  Also, the Xbox One X and Amazon Fire TV plugged direct into Soundbar (it has three HDMI inputs) and using ARC (HDMI) it plays just fine with great sound and high bass.

The cables I am using are high grade AudioQuest Cinnamon cables which more than support this (all my devices use this same type of cable from Audio Quest)  http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/cinnamon

Problem Solver

computeronix15 wrote:

Thanks for the response!

Yes I am using ARC (HDMI).  With this the box can be connected to the TV or the Sound bar and it will take care of the rest.

By the way it is plugged into teh sound bar (but I have tested with the TV) and makes no difference.  Also, the Xbox One X and Amazon Fire TV plugged direct into Soundbar (it has three HDMI inputs) and using ARC (HDMI) it plays just fine with great sound and high bass.

The cables I am using are high grade AudioQuest Cinnamon cables which more than support this (all my devices use this same type of cable from Audio Quest)  http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/cinnamon

On my Samsung 3D UHD Television, my only Comcast cable-box is a Cisco RNG 150N (HD box). It is connected to the HDMI #1 port on the Hub per the Samsung manual. S.S. box , or other type of speakers, belong on HDMI (ARC) #4 port. The Sony 3D (4K upscaling Player) connected to HDMI #3 port. Anything else to other tv ports.

Everything; including game boxes get connected to the tv. All sound comes from either TV speakers, or S.S. AV box, and is controlled by the tv. I have no problems what so ever with this setup recommended in the tv manual.

It seems to me that your running cables from other boxes for sound at the same time is causing your problem. I used to run everything through my Sony S.S. AV box (circa 2014) with Comcast coaxial cable attached to the AV box first. HDMI cables to Cisco cable-box, tv, and all other peripherals off the AV box HDMI outputs. HDMI (ARC) was to the Sony Bravia 1080p tv. The AV box controlled what peripheral was used on tv.

This method seems to no longer work with newer smart tv's. I tried it first on my UHD tv with poor results. About one hour later my followed the Murphy's Law golden rule: "When all else fails... Read the directions." No problems after that.

Valued Contributor

I highly doubt that this issue has anything to do woth the HDMI cables or the setup from Set Top Box / TV / AVR.  I just installed an XG1v4 box, replacing the regular old XG1 box I have had for a couple years.  I have a very high end Denon receiver and the first thing I noticed withe the new STB was that I had to turn the volume up about 10db higher than before.  My opinion is that the lower volume is an issue solely with the XG1v4.  But with my set up, I probably would not have given it a second thought if I didn't see this post.

Problem Solver

jwmccnn wrote:

I highly doubt that this issue has anything to do woth the HDMI cables or the setup from Set Top Box / TV / AVR.  I just installed an XG1v4 box, replacing the regular old XG1 box I have had for a couple years.  I have a very high end Denon receiver and the first thing I noticed withe the new STB was that I had to turn the volume up about 10db higher than before.  My opinion is that the lower volume is an issue solely with the XG1v4.  But with my set up, I probably would not have given it a second thought if I didn't see this post.

You may well be correct about the XG1v4 box being the problem. I hope my Cisco cable-box holds up long enough to see the problems fixed with the current Comcast boxes.

New Poster

I have a similar problem. I downsized from a Marantz 7 channel AV receiver to a newer Yamaha 5.1 and the bass is much weaker. The internet radio from the receiver and the XBOX sounds better than the Comcast X1. I got a signal on the receiver that said PCM or PMC? and switched the Comcast to dolby but it didn't make any difference. 

Not sure if it's because I am only running the system as a 2 channel stereo. That shouldn't make any difference because the receiver set up will allow a floor standing speaker to run the bass. I'm not sure if the receiver is the problem [which may be part of the issue but I don't think it's the whole issue]. I think it's the signal being sent to the receiver from the Comcast Box becasue the speakers do sound better with the interet radio and Xbox.

Any solutions?

Regular Visitor

same issue hooked up new 4k DVR and no bass from sub and also when watching netflix in 4k and go back to reg tv have to adjust pic display over again

New Poster

I too am disappointed with the sound. Guess I will exchange for the older box for a while

Official Employee

Thanks for posting, everyone. 

I have dealt with issues before on X1 Boxes and 3rd party speakers/sound systems but they usually didn't deal too much with the volume of the sound. Have any of you swapped the boxes to see whether or not there is a change there? Is the sound louder comes from stereo? 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Hey Ken!

I did not try replacing the box as I had to pay for shipping for this box as my local comcast store didnt carry the box.  It was hard enough to get this box Smiley Happy

I am guessing by the amount of others users (and to think about the users that havent said anything) that this is more of a wide spread issue with these boxes?

Also I tried Stereo and I did not notice a difference with my surround system.   Not sure if anyone else noticed a difference.

Official Employee

computeronix15, I can send you a box for free if necessary. Let's take a look at your box to see if there are any issues there. Please send me a private message with your full name, address and phone number for help. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I think issue is with 5.1.   I notice it is louder with PCM on new box and older x1 ver 1 box.   So if you want louder sound volume set it to PCM.   If you want 5.1 set it with expert mode with lower sound volume.

Frequent Visitor

I am also having this problem with my new 4K Xfinity.   I have a Dolby ATMOS system through a new Sony reciever.   Anything I plug into the same HDMI port auto detects and sounds awesome.   I have tried everything I can find on the Xfinity menu, Expert mode etc. and can not get anything but 2.0 sound.  It is so dissappointing, I have been considering going back to my last provider.   Xfinity has a noticeably better picture on my OLED TV even on standard HD content though, so I'd rather not.  I'd love to get a solution or if it's a hardware issue, a new box.

Contributor

Also I want to note, its not just about the volume but also the the bass does not work either so that i an additional problem as part of this

Frequent Visitor

Exactly, there is no Dolby decoding, you are experiencing just stereo out.   My volume isn't an issue, there is no dolby decoding so no sub or any other audio channel info.   Sounds like we have the same problem.   Hopefully it's an easy fix or hardware issue that can be addressed.

Service Expert

@Ricand wrote:

Exactly, there is no Dolby decoding, you are experiencing just stereo out.   My volume isn't an issue, there is no dolby decoding so no sub or any other audio channel info.   Sounds like we have the same problem.   Hopefully it's an easy fix or hardware issue that can be addressed.

is your stereo 2.0 on playback of previously recorded programs?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

No, it's on all content.   Live, recorded or app like Netflix.   

Service Expert

@Ricand wrote:

No, it's on all content.   Live, recorded or app like Netflix.   

how is your audio hooked up? do you have a sound bar or receiver? how is the audio leaving the set top box and getting to the speakers? have you checked the device settings on the set top box under "audio" to be sure HDMI output is set to other than stereo?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have a reciever.  Just to be clear, you can be assured I'm not a newb in this arena.  I'm going through a Sony reciever that will process ATMOS as well as any lesser format.  The HDMI input Xfinity uses has been tested to insure it will process multiple inputs with full 7.1 audio without setup changes.  I made sure the audio out on the 4K Xfinity setbox is set to expert.  I want to thank you for taking the time to try to help me and would greatly appreciate any further input.   However, your questions make me wonder if you read the entire thread.

Service Expert

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dolby-atmos-x1

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

@Ricand wrote:

I have a reciever.  Just to be clear, you can be assured I'm not a newb in this arena.  I'm going through a Sony reciever that will process ATMOS as well as any lesser format.  The HDMI input Xfinity uses has been tested to insure it will process multiple inputs with full 7.1 audio without setup changes.  I made sure the audio out on the 4K Xfinity setbox is set to expert.  I want to thank you for taking the time to try to help me and would greatly appreciate any further input.   However, your questions make me wonder if you read the entire thread.

often when users get a new DVR they don't realize that the 'recordings' available are from teh cloud which per many customer's reports is only in 2 channel stereo. That is why I asked the source. On-demand of new major network series should be in the normal 5.1 or better audio.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for both of your input.   The audio setup is indeed on expert.   It seems like it must be a defective box.

Contributor

Interesting point on the Olympics

I went into Expert mode, set subwoofer on max (12) and while watching Olympics and there is a very faint bass.  So seems like I am getting that channel but very, very low output.

Do you know does OnDemand -> Music support the full Dolby Digital 5.1?   I attempted this in the past and very, very low bass almost non-existent, compared to then using an Amazon Fire TV / Xbox One X.

Problem Solver

@computeronix15 wrote:

Interesting point on the Olympics

I went into Expert mode, set subwoofer on max (12) and while watching Olympics and there is a very faint bass.  So seems like I am getting that channel but very, very low output.

Do you know does OnDemand -> Music support the full Dolby Digital 5.1?   I attempted this in the past and very, very low bass almost non-existent, compared to then using an Amazon Fire TV / Xbox One X.

This problem may have been caused during the switch from MPEG2 to MPEG4. On Demand still contains 1080i programs in MPEG2, and all others in 480p or 720p using progressive format. Some coding problem may have cropped up in how the original program get transferred to "On Demand" for audio tracks.

New Poster

Has Comcast found an issue with this new box? I just installed one a couple of days ago and the sound volume has to be turned way up when on cable tv as compared to internet streaming (Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.). I replaced a regular X1 DVR and the sound had been fine with that unit. Is there a software issue withing the new box? I am using a Samsung 3.1 soundbar / wireless woofer connected to a Samsung Hub via optical cable.

Service Expert

noting... interlace is never used in IP streaming only in broadcast. 1080i is broadcast and Qam only. on-demand is IP and is always 'progressive' or better said is not interlaced.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Not sure if it's a design issue or box fault.   They are sending me a new box, I'll post here on whether it resolved my problem or not.   

Frequent Visitor

Awesome!!  The new box worked great and I'm enjoying full 7.1 ATMOS sound.   The new box was also a newer series.   The remote was totally different from the old  one.   I got stuck on startup since the old remote had a setup button, the new one doesn't.   Onscreen remote setup was the old remote.   You have to press both the Xfinity button and the ! button together instead of the setup.   Thanks to ComcastKenF for his help.   They shipped the box and credited me the shipping, since my local store didn't have any 4K boxes.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation