Xfinity 4K XG1v4 (AR AX014ANM) Box - Sound / Bass Issues

Contributor

Xfinity 4K XG1v4 (AR AX014ANM) Box - Sound / Bass Issues

I have an Xfinity X1 4K Box

Model: AR AX014ANM

XG1v4

My current setup:

I have the Audio settings as "HDMI Auto-Detect" which detects Dolby Digital 5.1

I have a Sony sound bar with Subwoofer (Sony HTNT5).

The xfinity box is connected direct to the sound bar.

I also have an Xbox One X connected to sound bar (more on this in a minute).

When I play audio through the Comcast 4K box, it is low and also the subwoofer (with it maxed out) barely plays any bass.

However switching to the Xbox One X, the audio is much much louder and the bass plays loud even on a much lower setting.

There seems to be some audio disparity in the X1 box which may need to be looked at?

I attempted to switch the Audio on the X1 box to Expert Mode, but there were no additional options and the audio quality did not change.

Has this configuration been tested and does a software update need rolled out?  Anyone else running into similar audio parity issues?

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity 4K XG1v4 (AR AX014ANM) Box - Sound / Bass Issues

have you tried turning off expert mode (the x1 will not try to figure out what format is best) and under Dolby to turn on audio compression (around page 60 on the owner's manual)? after you set up the audio for the best sound and balance the sound bar should remember that setting and switch to that profile when you select the X1 set top box.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Appreciate the reply!

Yes I tried auto first which auto detects it as Dolly Digital 5.1

It doesn’t help with or with it disabled and even if I turn the volume way up I have to max the subwoofer to get a very small bass

When I switch to Xbox one x or an amazon fire tv the bass is extremely loud with it being maxed (which is expected)

The X1v4 box doesn’t appear to split the audio or adjust it properly.

My X1 box before the 4K worked fine just as the Xbox one and fire tv work today

I believe it is the software on the box but only a comcast engineer could verify that

I am curious if anyone else is experiencing similar sound issues with the 4K box. Although not sure how many people have these new boxes and a similar sound system from Sony.
Problem Solver

The cable-boxes should be connected directly to the television with 4K compliant HDMI cable.

Connect you speakers to the television (not the cable-box) using the HDMI (ARC) port.

Contributor

Thanks for the response!

Yes I am using ARC (HDMI).  With this the box can be connected to the TV or the Sound bar and it will take care of the rest.

By the way it is plugged into teh sound bar (but I have tested with the TV) and makes no difference.  Also, the Xbox One X and Amazon Fire TV plugged direct into Soundbar (it has three HDMI inputs) and using ARC (HDMI) it plays just fine with great sound and high bass.

The cables I am using are high grade AudioQuest Cinnamon cables which more than support this (all my devices use this same type of cable from Audio Quest)  http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/cinnamon

Problem Solver

computeronix15 wrote:

Thanks for the response!

Yes I am using ARC (HDMI).  With this the box can be connected to the TV or the Sound bar and it will take care of the rest.

By the way it is plugged into teh sound bar (but I have tested with the TV) and makes no difference.  Also, the Xbox One X and Amazon Fire TV plugged direct into Soundbar (it has three HDMI inputs) and using ARC (HDMI) it plays just fine with great sound and high bass.

The cables I am using are high grade AudioQuest Cinnamon cables which more than support this (all my devices use this same type of cable from Audio Quest)  http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/cinnamon

On my Samsung 3D UHD Television, my only Comcast cable-box is a Cisco RNG 150N (HD box). It is connected to the HDMI #1 port on the Hub per the Samsung manual. S.S. box , or other type of speakers, belong on HDMI (ARC) #4 port. The Sony 3D (4K upscaling Player) connected to HDMI #3 port. Anything else to other tv ports.

Everything; including game boxes get connected to the tv. All sound comes from either TV speakers, or S.S. AV box, and is controlled by the tv. I have no problems what so ever with this setup recommended in the tv manual.

It seems to me that your running cables from other boxes for sound at the same time is causing your problem. I used to run everything through my Sony S.S. AV box (circa 2014) with Comcast coaxial cable attached to the AV box first. HDMI cables to Cisco cable-box, tv, and all other peripherals off the AV box HDMI outputs. HDMI (ARC) was to the Sony Bravia 1080p tv. The AV box controlled what peripheral was used on tv.

This method seems to no longer work with newer smart tv's. I tried it first on my UHD tv with poor results. About one hour later my followed the Murphy's Law golden rule: "When all else fails... Read the directions." No problems after that.

Regular Contributor

I highly doubt that this issue has anything to do woth the HDMI cables or the setup from Set Top Box / TV / AVR.  I just installed an XG1v4 box, replacing the regular old XG1 box I have had for a couple years.  I have a very high end Denon receiver and the first thing I noticed withe the new STB was that I had to turn the volume up about 10db higher than before.  My opinion is that the lower volume is an issue solely with the XG1v4.  But with my set up, I probably would not have given it a second thought if I didn't see this post.

Problem Solver

jwmccnn wrote:

I highly doubt that this issue has anything to do woth the HDMI cables or the setup from Set Top Box / TV / AVR.  I just installed an XG1v4 box, replacing the regular old XG1 box I have had for a couple years.  I have a very high end Denon receiver and the first thing I noticed withe the new STB was that I had to turn the volume up about 10db higher than before.  My opinion is that the lower volume is an issue solely with the XG1v4.  But with my set up, I probably would not have given it a second thought if I didn't see this post.

You may well be correct about the XG1v4 box being the problem. I hope my Cisco cable-box holds up long enough to see the problems fixed with the current Comcast boxes.

New Poster

I have a similar problem. I downsized from a Marantz 7 channel AV receiver to a newer Yamaha 5.1 and the bass is much weaker. The internet radio from the receiver and the XBOX sounds better than the Comcast X1. I got a signal on the receiver that said PCM or PMC? and switched the Comcast to dolby but it didn't make any difference. 

Not sure if it's because I am only running the system as a 2 channel stereo. That shouldn't make any difference because the receiver set up will allow a floor standing speaker to run the bass. I'm not sure if the receiver is the problem [which may be part of the issue but I don't think it's the whole issue]. I think it's the signal being sent to the receiver from the Comcast Box becasue the speakers do sound better with the interet radio and Xbox.

Any solutions?

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation