Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

XR2 remote and audio receiver?

Regular Contributor

XR2 remote and audio receiver?

I tried to program the XR2 remote to turn on/off (and hopefully adjust volume) my Onkyo HT RC 270 receiver but it does not work.  I did a search on the Support site and I found reference (and 2 codes) for Onkyo.  However the instructions seems to be related generically as they refer to a "TV: even though I searched "audio".  I had uVerse before and their remotes controlled all my devices..... does the XR2 not?

Valued Contributor

Re: XR2 remote and audio receiver?

I suspect that the codes that you found were 2xxxx series codes, right?  The XR2 remote only accepts 3xxxx series codes for amps and receivers.  If you have a DVD player/receiver, as I do, you need a 2xxxx series DVD Player code.  Maybe they will accommodate us in a future update!

Regular Contributor

I used the Comcast tool to find the codes.  They didn't work. And they reference a TV instead of "audio" ("if the TV turns off").

----

These are the codes for your Onkyo  Audio . Follow the instructions below to program your remote.
Most likely code : 30135, Others to try : 30842
To program your Comcast remote :

1. Turn on your TV and set-top box or HD DTA.
  2. Press and hold the Setup button on your XR2 Remote for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.
  3. Enter the first code you see above using the numeric buttons on the remote. The All Power button should flash green twice when the code is entered. If the green light emits one long blink, repeat steps 3 and 4, entering the same code.
  4. Press the TV Power button on the remote. If the TV turns off, you have successfully programmed your XR2 Remote to control your TV. Turn the TV back on and press the VOL +/- and Mute buttons to confirm they control the volume of your TV.
  5. If the TV does not turn off, repeat the steps above using the next manufacturer's code listed above. You may need to try several codes to find one that works for your TV.
Bronze Problem Solver

Version 2 of the XR2 Remote can be programmed to control both a TV as well as an additional audio device, such as a sound system. To determine what version of the XR2 remote you have, look at the bottom of the back of your remote. It may say Version P2 or R2.

To program version 2 of the XR2 Remote to control the volume of your audio device, first follow the instructions to program the remote to control the TV set. Then, follow the same steps and enter one of the audio device manufacture’s codes found on the Codes list below. Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV and the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device.

If you attempt to enter a code for a third device, your remote will no longer be programmed to control the first two programmed devices.   

Below are the codes for audio devices:

Setup Codes for Audio Devices

Manufacturer

Code

ADC

Aiwa

30158, 30189, 30405

Bose

31229, 31933

Capetronic

Carver

Denon

31360, 31104

Harman/Kardon

30110, 30189

Integra

JBL

JVC

Kenwood

31313, 31570, 30027, 31027

Linn

Magnavox

30189, 30531

Marantz

Onkyo

30135, 30842

Optimus

31023, 30531

Panasonic

31308, 31518

Philips

30189, 31266

Pioneer

31023, 30014, 30531, 31384

Polk Audio

Proscan

RCA

31023, 31254, 30531

Sansui

Sanyo

31261, 31469, 31801

Sony

31759, 30158, 31758

Stereophonics

Sunfire

Technics

31308, 31518

Victor

Wards

30158, 30189, 30014

Yamaha

30176, 31176

Regular Contributor

My remote says Version U2.

I tried both the codes and they do not work.

The All Power light flashes green 2x after I enter 30135 but the TV button does not turn off the Onkyo.

If I try the 2nd code 30842, after entering the last digit the All Power light flashes red.

This remote has been programmed to control the Samsung TV fine but i really want it to turn on/off(and control the volume) of the Onkyo (not volume of the TV which is left down).  My ATT UVerse remote did this perfectly.

Bronze Problem Solver

Once the remote is set up correctly the TV button will only turn off and on the TV - not the receiver.  The "All Power" button will turn on and off the TV and the receiver.  The volume button will only adjust the receiver's volume.  

I have 3 X1 DVR's and this is how my setup works for 2 Sony receivers and 1 Bose receiver.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the help but mine will not work.

After the first code the All button flashes green 2x but the TV (or later the All) button does nothing.

After the 2ndcode  the All button flashes red then green and the TV (or later the All) button does nothing.

Bronze Problem Solver

Perhaps a trip to the local office to swap remotes might be in order.

New Poster

Help, I need more codes for my Yamaha receiver.  Neither of the two listed here worked!! 

Regular Contributor

Not sure how it happened but the remote now turns on my Onkyo receiver and adjusts the volume. However it will not turn it off.

I have to use the Onkyo remote (and it has a Standby feature not OFF).

The remote also turns on/off my Samsung Tv as programmed by installer.

Contributor

Has anybody gotten a sound bar to work with the XR2 remote control?  If so, what brand?

New Poster

Worked on the first code with my Pioneer receiver, thanks!!!

Bronze Problem Solver

elucid wrote:

Worked on the first code with my Pioneer receiver, thanks!!!

Glad it all worked out for you.

New Poster

I have an Onkyo and there are separate codes for turning on and off.  I set up the Aux power button to turn on, so it will also turn on when I use all on, then I had to individually program one of the buttons I wasn't using in TV mode to turn it off.  That was on my old remote.  I just got a new one and I'm trying to find the info on programming individual buttons again.

New Poster

how do I get the codes for a samsung sound bar

I would like to control a samsung tv and samsung sound bar with the xr2 version u2 remote

Frequent Visitor

desmo907 wrote:

Not sure how it happened but the remote now turns on my Onkyo receiver and adjusts the volume. However it will not turn it off.

I have to use the Onkyo remote (and it has a Standby feature not OFF).

The remote also turns on/off my Samsung Tv as programmed by installer.

desmo907 - I have the exact same issue as you.  I have an XR2 version U2 remote with a Samsung 42" LED and Onkyo TR-606 receiver.  The only thing the remote doesn't do is turn off my receiver.  It's really annoying.  The old remote was no problem.  Have you figured out a solution yet? 

Gold Problem Solver

I believe I know why this is happening. Most newer AV receivers use discreet remote control commands for on and off. This means one command turns the AV receiver on but a different command turns it off. Older AV receivers used toggle commands which means the same remote command sends on then off.

I have come to the conclusion that the XR2 remote was not designed or programmed to handle discreet power commands. This means it will struggle controlling newer AV receivers. The XR2 will not control ANYTHING on my brand new Marantz receiver even though Marantz has not changed their remote codes for many years.

Those of you who want to get down to true one remote operation need to think about a 3rd party universal remote controls.

Expert

plhoward wrote:

desmo907 - I have the exact same issue as you.  I have an XR2 version U2 remote with a Samsung 42" LED and Onkyo TR-606 receiver.  The only thing the remote doesn't do is turn off my receiver.  It's really annoying.  The old remote was no problem.  Have you figured out a solution yet? 

I have a Samsung LED and an Onkyo TR-NX609 and my XR2 remote turns them both off and on.  I don't know what my XR2 code is.

Silver Problem Solver

You can pull the code out of the remote to see what it is to share it.

Press and hold setup until the light goes green.

Press 1 and cound how many times the light blinks

Press 2 and count

Press 3 and count

Press 4 and count

Press 5 and count.

There's your code.

Expert

John3758 wrote:

You can pull the code out of the remote to see what it is to share it.

Press and hold setup until the light goes green.

Press 1 and cound how many times the light blinks

Press 2 and count

Press 3 and count

Press 4 and count

Press 5 and count.

There's your code.

That doesn't work with my XR2.

Silver Problem Solver

WHich version of the remote do you have? I have a U2 and an X1 version and they both did it when I tried it.

Expert

John3758 wrote:

WHich version of the remote do you have? I have a U2 and an X1 version and they both did it when I tried it.

I have the original XR2 version U2 that came with the X1 DVR.

New Poster

While it is true that many receivers have discrete on and off most also retain a power toggle function. This is the case for all Onkyo receivers I have come across.
Gold Problem Solver

That's very true but tell the XR2 that. It doesn't seem to know that.

RickyG-Yo wrote:
While it is true that many receivers have discrete on and off most also retain a power toggle function. This is the case for all Onkyo receivers I have come across.

New Poster

Anyone figure out the Comcast XR2 Version U2 controlling on/off for an Onkyo TX-NR535.  It controls the volume but not the on/off with the All Power button.  Thx

desmo907 wrote:

I tried to program the XR2 remote to turn on/off (and hopefully adjust volume) my Onkyo HT RC 270 receiver but it does not work.  I did a search on the Support site and I found reference (and 2 codes) for Onkyo.  However the instructions seems to be related generically as they refer to a "TV: even though I searched "audio".  I had uVerse before and their remotes controlled all my devices..... does the XR2 not?

Gold Problem Solver

If you have tried ALL of the Onkyo codes and also tried the manual code search process, you could be SOL. The XR2's support of audio components is highly suspect.

I would check to see if there is any additional Onkyo codes for the older silver remote. They may work on the XR2.

remotecode wrote:

Anyone figure out the Comcast XR2 Version U2 controlling on/off for an Onkyo TX-NR535.  It controls the volume but not the on/off with the All Power button.  Thx

desmo907 wrote:

New Poster

There are 2 codes listed for the Onkyo. Unfortunately only 1 is valid and it allows you to turn on and control volume but doors not turn it off. The remote won't even accept the second code.
Problem Solver

RickyG-Yo wrote:
There are 2 codes listed for the Onkyo. Unfortunately only 1 is valid and it allows you to turn on and control volume but doors not turn it off. The remote won't even accept the second code.

RICKGr4...it this guy your cousin?   now I am confused by the almost same name!

Gold Problem Solver

Nope... But I wonder if he is as smart, witty and handsome as I am ... LOL

gotpizza wrote:

RickyG-Yo wrote:
There are 2 codes listed for theOnkyo. Unfortunately only 1 is valid and it allows you to turn on and control volume but doors not turn it off. The remote won't even accept the second code.

RICKGr4...it this guy your cousin?   now I am confused by the almost same name!

Frequent Visitor

I had this problem as well.  I actually had issues with my Onkyo receiver with my HDMI ports so I got that fixed which helped.  I als bought the Harmony 650 Universal Remote which fixed all my problems.  It's so easy to program and controls my receive, X1 box, ATV, DVD, and TV all in 1 button.  Well worth the money.  The X1 remote sucks!

RickGr4 wrote:

If you have tried ALL of the Onkyo codes and also tried the manual code search process, you could be SOL. The XR2's support of audio components is highly suspect.

I would check to see if there is any additional Onkyo codes for the older silver remote. They may work on the XR2.

remotecode wrote:

desmo907 wrote:

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much!  Although I didn't turn off my sound system, I could do a mute and leave it..... tired of too many remotes for these things but this worked beautifully on the XR2 remote. 

New Poster

Thanks for posting the audio codes!  This worked to add my Sony home theater along with my VIZIO to the XR2 remote (version U2) that I got today.  Funny thing, the installer told me these remotes only control a TV, but it seems that you can add a TV and an audio device.  Add the TV code first, then the audio code and success!

Expert
Bronze Problem Solver

IrishRed12 wrote:

Thanks for posting the audio codes!  This worked to add my Sony home theater along with my VIZIO to the XR2 remote (version U2) that I got today.  Funny thing, the installer told me these remotes only control a TV, but it seems that you can add a TV and an audio device.  Add the TV code first, then the audio code and success!

You're welcome - and thanks for the kudo.  Here's a link to an updated list for programming.your remote control - http://customer.comcast.com/remotes

New Poster

Here are my thoughts on the XR2 remote with the Xfinity X1 receiver.... I really like the X1 receiver. I really like the XR2 (U2) remote. What I like about the remote, it's simple! Not a lot of confusing buttons on it, just the essential stuff. For the majority of users who have a surround sound receiver like I do, you want (minimally) for the remote to turn on/off the surround sound receiver and control the volume. You also want the remote to simultaneously turn on/off your HDTV with the master "All Power" switch. The XR2 does this. Well, it does this on some equipment but as previous threads will testify not all manufactures work properly. Bummer! For instance, on my Onkyo surround sound receiver the remote will turn on the receiver, but not off!!  This is because Onkyo uses separate codes for on and off. Now on my Pioneer surround sound receiver the XR2 works perfectly. That's because Pioneer uses one code to "toggle" on/off. I suspect this snafu exists with other model receivers as well. This fault IMHO lies solely with Comcast engineers inability to design a remote control to handle this very basic function. I mean, come on guys! How much more basic can designing a remote control to properly turn on/off a device be? Especially with memory chips being so inexpensive there's no reason why they don't have every code for every HDTV and surround sound receiver ever built stored in the remote! Really!

Additionally, the official information from Comcast regarding programming this remote is mostly in error and inadequate. For example, the codes they give for Pioneer Audio are mostly incorrect. I finally found the correct programming codes in this user forum. Bad Comcast!!

It's been suggested that if all else fails go out and buy a Logitech Harmony universal remote. While this will solve the problem of controlling three devices with one remote, I didn't want to do it! For one thing, the Logitech remotes are IR (infra red) only. What I like about the XR2 is its ability to control the X1 using UHF. That means that if I'm lying on the sofa and I want to change channels I don't have to point the remote at the X1 receiver. With the Logitech I would have to, since IR is line of sight only. Again, bummer!

There's no reason why this remote couldn't do everything it was designed to do. None! The bottom line is Comcast has some pretty shoddy engineering going on. Excellent concept, bad execution. They need to fix this!!!

Gold Problem Solver

All good points but just one correction. Harmony does offer RF remotes. I am using one as I write this...

MarkCooperstein wrote:

Here are my thoughts on the XR2 remote with the Xfinity X1 receiver.... I really like the X1 receiver. I really like the XR2 (U2) remote. What I like about the remote, it's simple! Not a lot of confusing buttons on it, just the essential stuff. For the majority of users who have a surround sound receiver like I do, you want (minimally) for the remote to turn on/off the surround sound receiver and control the volume. You also want the remote to simultaneously turn on/off your HDTV with the master "All Power" switch. The XR2 does this. Well, it does this on some equipment but as previous threads will testify not all manufactures work properly. Bummer! For instance, on my Onkyo surround sound receiver the remote will turn on the receiver, but not off!!  This is because Onkyo uses separate codes for on and off. Now on my Pioneer surround sound receiver the XR2 works perfectly. That's because Pioneer uses one code to "toggle" on/off. I suspect this snafu exists with other model receivers as well. This fault IMHO lies solely with Comcast engineers inability to design a remote control to handle this very basic function. I mean, come on guys! How much more basic can designing a remote control to properly turn on/off a device be? Especially with memory chips being so inexpensive there's no reason why they don't have every code for every HDTV and surround sound receiver ever built stored in the remote! Really!

Additionally, the official information from Comcast regarding programming this remote is mostly in error and inadequate. For example, the codes they give for Pioneer Audio are mostly incorrect. I finally found the correct programming codes in this user forum. Bad Comcast!!

It's been suggested that if all else fails go out and buy a Logitech Harmony universal remote. While this will solve the problem of controlling three devices with one remote, I didn't want to do it! For one thing, the Logitech remotes are IR (infra red) only. What I like about the XR2 is its ability to control the X1 using UHF. That means that if I'm lying on the sofa and I want to change channels I don't have to point the remote at the X1 receiver. With the Logitech I would have to, since IR is line of sight only. Again, bummer!

There's no reason why this remote couldn't do everything it was designed to do. None! The bottom line is Comcast has some pretty shoddy engineering going on. Excellent concept, bad execution. They need to fix this!!!

Frequent Visitor

A lot of good info in this thread but I'm still stymied.  I have two accounts in different locations.  In both places I have X1 boxes and X2 remotes.  One location has a Sony receiver and the other a Sony DVD player/speaker system (DAV HDZ273).  The codes for the Sonys supplied by Comcast didn't work at either location.  Using the codes supplied above by Manamok I was able to control On/Off and Volume for the receiver but nothing seems to work on DVD/Speakers unit.  It's not a particularly new unit and I was able to control it before I upgraded to X1.

Now when I turn off the TV, the stereo stays on.  Very frustrating!  Would anyone have any ideas I could try?

Bronze Problem Solver

gymnast46 wrote:

A lot of good info in this thread but I'm still stymied.  I have two accounts in different locations.  In both places I have X1 boxes and X2 remotes.  One location has a Sony receiver and the other a Sony DVD player/speaker system (DAV HDZ273).  The codes for the Sonys supplied by Comcast didn't work at either location.  Using the codes supplied above by Manamok I was able to control On/Off and Volume for the receiver but nothing seems to work on DVD/Speakers unit.  It's not a particularly new unit and I was able to control it before I upgraded to X1.

Now when I turn off the TV, the stereo stays on.  Very frustrating!  Would anyone have any ideas I could try?

I recently swapped my seven XR2 remotes for XR5 V4 remotes at my local Comcast office.  No cost, no hassle, no problem.  They're backlit, have an input button and they work great.  I think the XR5's are more robust than the XR2's - and have a wider catalogue of codes.  They may be the answer you're looking for.

If not, you can always get yourself a quality universal remote.

Frequent Visitor

Much obliged!   I'll swing by Comcast tomorrow and ask them for the XR5 V4

New Poster

Good luck getting one free from Comcast. I went to my Comcast office, they don't even keep them in stock. They would love however to order one for you at $19.95. I'm just saying...
Gold Problem Solver

I would try again. Roughly a month ago, my local store gave me three with no difficulty. Other forum members have reported the same.

MarkCooperstein wrote:
Good luck getting one free from Comcast. I went to my Comcast office, they don't even keep them in stock. They would love however to order one for you at $19.95. I'm just saying...